UnevenEdge

The NBA Thread

Hidden

The Lakers vs 76ers game a few days ago was a lot of fun. Multiple career highs, a lot of young guys unexpectedly looking like monsters. Ingram looked as good as people say he will one day be.

I don't care about Lonzo one way or the other but just because of his dad I'm hoping all the Balls are busts. It would just be so funny. Even if Lonzo never becomes a decent shooter though, he seems to be at worst a Rubio-type PG as far as passing and making great plays and solid rebounding/defense which is pretty damn good if that's his ceiling, but that would still throw cold piss all over his dad's hype machine so that's cool.

Edited by Nabloom
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Hidden said:

ye kyrie is carrying.

makes me wonder what hayward was supposed to add to the team...im guessing hes a good shooter? never watched him when he played for the jazz.

Hayward isn't really spectacular at any one phase of the game but pretty solid at all of them, he fits that Brad Stevens system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching Philadelphia vs Warriors and I really hope Philadelphia makes the Finals as soon as possible. This year even seems almost doable. Legendary first half against the warriors, all of their players look like gold and they'll be adding Fultz at some point. Embiid would get Draymond thrown out and suspended at some point in a playoff series and it would be great.

• Like 1

Sixers are much improved now, I don't think finals this year but I could see it down the road, plus they're fun to watch. Simmons is the classic PG, doesn't turn the ball over or make flashy plays, so efficient and Embiid is a swiss army knife 7 footer when he's healthy....so much more enjoyable to watch than guys just jackin 3s

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, scope said:

You think so? I'm not so sure, they have better depth to their bench than they've ever had.

Them immediately going on a 12 game winning streak with no point guard does make that take look horrible but if they don't make any significant trade then yeah, I still think it's going to go bad. I just really hate almost their entire roster. They are the oldest team in the NBA, although the title winning Heat teams were also really old. 

If they make it to the Finals this year with this group I'm not even going to give them any shit about it being ceremonial for LeBron like it has been the last several years, thats going to be a legitimate feat for a change. The east got better and they got worse. 

Also I just looked at the last 12 teams they beat to make sense of this streak. The only two western conference teams = the Clippers and Grizzlies while both of those teams were in the midst of 10 game losing streaks, and the only eastern conference teams that are likely to make the playoffs = the 76ers and the Pistons (and the Heat and Knicks...) 

So they beat four possible playoff non-contenders plus eight wins over teams that have been losing badly. They deserve some credit for winning consistently and not losing to the young Sixers I guess, but even for an EC team that's an easy stretch.

Edited by Nabloom

I just don't think a lot of these teams with these great young bucks that certainly look promising for the future are going to be able to hack it come playoff time.

I feel like in the playoffs experience trumps young raw talent almost every single time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/5/2017 at 2:43 AM, scope said:

I just don't think a lot of these teams with these great young bucks that certainly look promising for the future are going to be able to hack it come playoff time.

I feel like in the playoffs experience trumps young raw talent almost every single time.

U right. Plus LeBron is better than ever. Just really not trying to see Cavs-Warriors 4 so I'm trying to talk myself into pretty much anyone

Edited by Nabloom
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2017 at 1:16 AM, Nabloom said:

Lmao at the Lakers forcing OT vs the Warriors and Kobe just leaving. 

wait what? lmao...i plan to skip to the last 2 mins of the 4th before i start to watch this boring game.

im watching the retiring of kobes jerseys which i thought i missed--and wow--i cant believe the lady who presented kobe was nearly about to cry...thought that was a super nice display of appreciation to see from someone who wasnt just a fan in the audience or a family member.

ill miss this guy, man..cant believe his era is nearly over..

I was like damn, I could see if it was a game against the Hornets or something, but the champions...stays all the way to the end of the fourth, then he looks at the score like "aw shit" and bails immediately.

I'll probably cry during Ginobili's jersey retirement, assuming they even televise it, so I get it

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hidden said:

wait what? lmao...i plan to skip to the last 2 mins of the 4th before i start to watch this boring game.

im watching the retiring of kobes jerseys which i thought i missed--and wow--i cant believe the lady who presented kobe was nearly about to cry...thought that was a super nice display of appreciation to see from someone who wasnt just a fan in the audience or a family member.

ill miss this guy, man..cant believe his era is nearly over..

You mean Jeannie Buss, our owner?  I thought the whole production was over-the-top.  Everything about Kobe, even his retirement ceremony, feels calculated.  They even had a five minute animated movie before the ceremony started that was just insane.  Plus, the entire game had four or five of those Kobe x Lebron Nike puppet ads where Kobe goes on and on bragging to a mostly bemused Lebron. 

12 hours ago, Nabloom said:

I was like damn, I could see if it was a game against the Hornets or something, but the champions...stays all the way to the end of the fourth, then he looks at the score like "aw shit" and bails immediately.

I'll probably cry during Ginobili's jersey retirement, assuming they even televise it, so I get it

If anyone deserves it, it's Manu.  Unfortunately, they won't let him go out with a glorified intersquad scrimmage where he can score 62 points and collapse in exhaustion at center court.

9 hours ago, scoobdog said:

You mean Jeannie Buss, our owner?  I thought the whole production was over-the-top.  Everything about Kobe, even his retirement ceremony, feels calculated.  They even had a five minute animated movie before the ceremony started that was just insane.  Plus, the entire game had four or five of those Kobe x Lebron Nike puppet ads where Kobe goes on and on bragging to a mostly bemused Lebron. 

i cracked up at "calculated."

i had no problem with it but i hear you.

i saw the puppet ad but not during the game, so i suppose i avoided that particular annoyance.

• 3 weeks later...

https://deadspin.com/a-few-cavs-players-really-want-everyone-to-know-that-th-1822116380/amp

Clearly this was entirely LeBron's idea, trying to get the team to trade away all its draft picks during his last season there lol

Idk who they could even get though. The answer to golden state is not DeAndre Jordan.

Edited by Nabloom

My all star picks - Giannis, Ginobili, Boogie, Embiid, Kyle Kuzma, TJ McConnell (the Sixers secret weapon), 4th quarter Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, CJ McCollum, Tyreke Evans (Memphis' OVP (only valuable player)), whoever the hell has been making the bulls win, Enes Kanter.

Edited by Nabloom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2018 at 4:32 PM, Nabloom said:

My all star picks - Giannis, Ginobili, Boogie, Embiid, Kyle Kuzma, TJ McConnell (the Sixers secret weapon), 4th quarter Eric Gordon, Lou Williams, CJ McCollum, Tyreke Evans (Memphis' OVP (only valuable player)), whoever the hell has been making the bulls win, Enes Kanter.

Haven't been paying enough attention but I can bet Robin Lopez is part of the Bulls' recent success. He's just a competitor and brings his all every night, a bit like Kanter.

On 1/31/2018 at 6:54 AM, Nabloom said:

I have to admit

I did not think it was going to get THIS dark this quickly

Have to concede you got it right about the Cavs, I thought they would be better than this and it seems like Lebron is giving up right now.

They could always pick it up at some point, they were playing good ball a month or two ago, but they are about as jekyll and hyde as the Thunder this year, it's far from convincing.

Really I was going to laugh no matter what the Cavs did, they were just so desperate and toxic. I do like the young Lakers they got and am surprised they turned so many terrible players into decent ones but idk how big a difference it's really going to make. Getting through their conference seems more likely than it did a week ago (Raptors are currently on top of the east lol) but man this thrown together team better not make the finals again, ready to see just any new matchup at this point.

Funniest part was trading Wade to Miami for a 2nd round pick in like 2025 just to get him off the team

received_2198450600168995.png

Edited by Nabloom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dying to see 76ers and Cavs match up in the first round and Philly advance, just the most stressful and dramatic way possible to end LeBron's last season in Cleveland. I am 100% in on this Philly team, how can you not be? Fire breathing Finals Embiid is too good to let the Raptors stand in the way

Idk what's wrong with Kawhi but quietly expecting the spurs to miss the playoffs entirely at this point

Memphis doing an excellent job at losing every possible game down the stretch, cue Chandler Parsons yelling like Paul Pierce "this is why they brought me here!"

Anthony Davis needs to make the playoffs again, losing out on the 8th seed to the Clippers or Jazz would be way way too sad.

Hope the Rockets finish with the top seed and Harden wins MVP, will make it that much funnier when they don't make the WCF in totally bizarre fashion.

21 hours ago, Hachiman said:

Well, we're fucked. Fucking Thibs. Derrick Rose is past his prime and should've retired while he still had a shred of what's left of his dignity. But nope, Thibs just had to go sign him for the remainder of the season.

It's so unfortunate. Those jokes about him trading for Noah and rebuilding the fail bulls are getting way too real. 

• 3 weeks later...