UnevenEdge

The NBA Thread

Hidden

• 5 weeks later...

Well last season Westbrook needed to be a ball hog for them to win, still averaged double figures in assists tho.

Thunder are stacked now, could see them winning at least 50 games but we never really know until we see how the chemistry works, could be a rocky start to the season but I have to imagine they will work it out.

honestly im not sure how its going to all play out for them. i like melo but all but they are all gonna have to pass that ball alot more and play less iso. lets say they do gel, the next question is can they beat the warriors? i dont think they can but anything is possible. regardless of what happens they are going to need a really good season if they want to have any chance of keeping the team together after the season is over. i'd say kudos to the okc gm for taking a huge gamble.

Well I don't look at it as can they beat the Warriors so much as can they tighten up the competition, these playoffs last year were dreadful and not because the Warriors always win but there were so many games that weren't even close, when you look back to the 90s sure the Bulls were dominating but so many tough teams with close games and buzzer beaters in the playoffs, this past season had zero of that kind of excitement.

I agree that they can't play iso but the Knicks had to iso with Melo, if Melo didn't score a lot they really never had many other options, I can't say I've seen Melo play with anyone on his level before, let alone two guys that are more in their prime and arguably more effective.

I mean, he had Stoudemire but injuries plagued Amare's time with the Knicks, he had Iverson and Billups but both were well past their prime, but both those guards still managed to get a good amount of attempts with Melo....definitely not saying these guys aren't on Carmelo's level but they weren't at the time.

the east has been stagnant for the past 7 years because of lebron. once he starts slowing down we will finally see some fresh blood.

the past 3 years in the west has been all warriors, but they werent at an unbeatable level until they added durant.

so now we have the situation where the east has gotten significantly weaker, and will give us 1-3 years of a much weaker lebron team but still stronger than anything  the east can muster versus the goat warriors that would have 16-0 the playoffs last season if lebron and the cavs didnt play the best game of their lives.

yeah competition did get better but i dont think it will be enough. hell theres still a good chance the warriors can go 16-0 in the playoffs this season.

• 2 weeks later...

So did y'all see Gordon Hayward completely break his ankle that was disturbing to watch

Looked a lot like the Odell Beckham injury a few weeks ago.....damn, didn't expect the Cavs to win the East in the first game, wonder if Kyrie is having any second thoughts.

That was the nastiest sports injury I've ever seen happen on live tv. Didn't realize how bad it was for a few seconds after the play, until the announcer said he broke his leg and they showed it looking all fucked up. Pretty gross.

It would be second nastiest for me I remember that ncaa tournament a couple years ago where that kid from Louisville came down on his leg and it broke and the bone popped out saw that live on tv man it was crazy

why the rockets? that team still plays no defense.

anybody else in the east wont make it unless the cavs turn out to be a complete disaster.

i dont think anyone out west beats the warriors either. even if okc got it together and were meshing well it wont be enough.

With Hayward, the Celtics were close to the Cavs equals. Also, Houston is 2-0 and a lock for the WCF imo.

yeah that hayward injury was one of the most painful looking injuries to look at. sucks for boston to lose on a star like him. do you think he comes back?

seems that the surgery went well and he is expected to make a complete recovery.

at least draymond seems like he should be ok. but jeremy lin is going to be out for the season.  this season starting off injury riddle.

and zeni we will never know now if the celtics would have ever been competitive against the cavs in the playoffs. a few minutes in the first quarter of the regular season dont mean anything. also the rockets are no doubt very likely to go far in the regular season, but if you watched them then you know that the team still plays no defense and will lose against a team that does in the playoffs.

Yeah the rockets could be the 1 seed if GS relaxes but after the regular season is over they're counting on the stylings of Playoff Harden and being spared the annual Chris Paul postseason injury. Plus they don't play defense and can't survive cold shooting stretches at all. If Ryan Anderson and Trevor Ariza aren't hitting their 3's in the same series they're fucked.

another good point. both harden and paul are unproven in the playoffs.

saw some of the knicks games and lakers game last night.

lol at lonzo ball getting punked by patrick beverly. it was a nice welcome to the nba.

i still think it might be too early to say he sucks since he did show some decent flashes of what he can do.  its gonna be a long year for him.

Guest The Hound

Nah it's going well stay excited, Embiid is great, you'll probably make the playoffs....idk about Fultz but you got Simmons so who needs em

I know I know. The 1-4 start has us a little worried, but yea. I have faith in Embiid's 7ft ass.

Nah it's going well stay excited, Embiid is great, you'll probably make the playoffs....idk about Fultz but you got Simmons so who needs em

if they are legit i think this is the year they gotta make the playoffs this year. it shouldn't really be that hard with all the talent they have.  the sixers are in prime position to move up in the next few years especially now that the cavs seem to be in decline. i know its early and regular season but that team is looking pretty bad right now. maybe they can flip the switch and be alright but their defense wasnt good last year and it's gotten worse this year.

yeah lebron can carry a team by himself but i think there is reason for concern there.

the east is still the east but this early on those bottom feeder teams are playing hard and doing good. when thomas gets back that will solve one of their problems but he aint going to make that team defensively better. idk they just looking bad and i think if the losing continues theres going to be lots of drama on the team.

i havent watched much t-wolves to say much about them.

they got better as a team from last year during the offseason and are more experienced. they been on the fringe for a few years but this year they are expected to make the jump to playoffs contender status. the 5-3 record is a good start but i honestly cant say more about them than that.

what i can say is that the cavs are broken. it wouldnt surprise me if things start to get shaken up soon.

also i saw lonzo play last night and he looked bad. its still too early to say bust but the hype is just that.

Not sure how the Cavs can possibly fix it. Other than the Nets pick no one wants anything they have. Even if there was somehow a taker for any of their players they wouldn't get back anything helpful, they seem pretty stuck running with Love, Rose, Wade, Jeff Green.

It's way too early but I'm unreasonably convinced that Jordan Clarkson will end up being the best out of all the young Lakers players which is not good.

the only players i'd trade for are love and lebron but thats pretty much it  :D

in my opinion i think the owner should have kept kyrie and traded lebron during this past off season.

kyrie wanted to be the man, and it didnt matter where as long as it wasnt with lebron. it would have been the perfect opportunity to do a full rebuild around kyrie and get the most they can from trading lebron.

i post so little that i slack on this thread now.

porzingis is so different this year. hes pretty fun to watch.

handles and strength and movement have all improved. hes actually carrying that team.

i realize its old new but ha. so melo got traded.

and super teams rule the nba now.

When a team is keeping Derrick Rose on a minutes restriction not because of his play but to keep him fresh because they need him for the playoffs, they've already lost.

How is 32 minutes a game a minutes restriction anyway, that's what most starters play... What they want to play him 40min a game?

i would  have said no to a nba fantasy league. if i didnt have fantasy football i would say maybe but having the two is more work.

the thunder are weird, they should be winning more with the talent they have but maybe they still havent learned to play well together. im not too worried yet since the season is still young but if they stay at the current pace they will miss the playoffs and you can bet both anthony and george will be gone.

i really gotta say i was wrong about boston. i kinda counted them out as contenders in the east after hayward got injured but they got the best record in the league right now and are on a 9 game win streak.

giannis is probably the most exciting player to watch. the greek freak is the real deal, if milwakee is smart they will sign him on to a mega contract andy can and surround him the talent to have him succeed.