UnevenEdge

my ac is broken

little_girl_lost

and my bedroom feels like an oven, even with all the windows open and fans running full blast

the soonest a repairman can get to my house is in two days

and I hafta find a way to force myself to sleep in this heat so I can be up super early to work in the mornings

FML

Jesus Christ, I was JUST about to come here and make this exact thread.  Mine went out yesterday but it was marginally cool in here since it kicked on and off......today it's completely shit the bed and it's ballsack hot in here.  I already can't sleep well, but with the heat it'll be impossible. FML forever.

my ac has a part that burns out every year

and since mum is usually the one that calls a repairman to fix it, she can never remember who she called the previous year to know what exact part it is

and if I knew that exact part name/model number, I could fix that shit myself

Dude said he had to order a part that will be here in 3 days and he actually said this "I tapped on the old part a few times so it should work a little better now"......He fucking tapped on it?......That's what I do to shit I don't understand.

I considered that today, but I don't know if I wanna spend $150 on an ac unit just to spend another $100+ to pay the repairman in a couple days

I was thinking of the portable until the ones that cool up to 450sq ft

and my bedroom feels like an oven, even with all the windows open and fans running full blast

the soonest a repairman can get to my house is in two days

and I hafta find a way to force myself to sleep in this heat so I can be up super early to work in the mornings

FML

I can fix those, ya know...

and since mum is usually the one that calls a repairman to fix it, she can never remember who she called the previous year to know what exact part it is

..... that shouldn't be a thing....

if I had an air mattress, i'd put it on the basement floor, stays cool down there, but concrete floors aren't fun

just get good and drunk....pass out on the kitchen floor....don't bother setting an alarm, you'll wake up early as fuck

60% of the time, this works every time

..... that shouldn't be a thing....

i'm aware, and I told mum the exact thing to bring up tp service men, but the only thing she tells them is that:

"the ac doesn't turn on"- not true, it just doesn't get cold

and she goes on and on about how desperate she is to get it fixed, making sure that they jack the price up as high as possible for her

There's a capacitor that triggers the compressor.  That's what usually goes (if you're lucky, 'cause it's relatively cheap).  Mine is acting up too.  Called a 24hr place, but they were booked solid.  Overnight, my compressor started working again - so I scheduled a routine maintenence for Fri, since they said they had a lot of people with no AC at all.  Naturally, the compressor stopped again around 3pm, at the height of the outdoor temp.

I wish you'd fix the ac in my truck for me.. but I know it's completely different than houses.

I know it's a pretty penny in a shop to, and that the inside dash most likely needs to be completely

pulled off.

I am Universal HVAC Certified. Automotive A/C is a bit simpler to deal with, although it's more problematic :P

I was so happy to buy a house with central air.....till it got hot and it won't cool off the upstairs at all while it's winter on the main floor.

All the bedrooms are upstairs :|

Close all downstairs registers except like the kitchen and bathroom, leave all doors open. It'll force all of the air upstairs, which will then make its way down through the stairwell and keep the whole house at a reasonable temp.

I am Universal HVAC Certified. Automotive A/C is a bit simpler to deal with, although it's more problematic :P

A bit simpler to deal with, although it's more problematic.. There are people that have that old money here.....

This dude took a farm truck into a shop and said that he was charged around a grand or more to get the ac up

and running...  You are going to have to stop being cute and use man language with me plz sir.  :P

Close all downstairs registers except like the kitchen and bathroom, leave all doors open. It'll force all of the air upstairs, which will then make its way down through the stairwell and keep the whole house at a reasonable temp.

It would be somewhat unusual for two stories to share one air handler.

A bit simpler to deal with, although it's more problematic.. There are people that have that old money here.....

This dude took a farm truck into a shop and said that he was charged around a grand or more to get the ac up

and running...  You are going to have to stop being cute and use man language with me plz sir.  :P

Well, it depends on how old the system is. Older systems require jumping the compressor out to force it to run just to check it / add refrigerant, for example.

Your best bet is to have the truck running, set it to MAX AC and fan speed all the way up, and look at the compressor. If just the belt and outer edge of the pulley is turning, it is not kicking on. If the whole thing is turning, it is turning on.

I kinda need to know what year and make the truck is...  >:D

It would be somewhat unusual for two stories to share one air handler.

Most houses I have dealt with north of the Mason-Dixon line have one air handler for the whole place, even a 3 bedroom townhouse with a full finished basement. The return is high up on the wall where the wrap-around staircase is located.

Well, it depends on how old the system is. Older systems require jumping the compressor out to force it to run just to check it / add refrigerant, for example.

Your best bet is to have the truck running, set it to MAX AC and fan speed all the way up, and look at the compressor. If just the belt and outer edge of the pulley is turning, it is not kicking on. If the whole thing is turning, it is turning on.

I kinda need to know what year and make the truck is...  >:D

Bro it sounds like you know how to tell me this...and I had to sign for a/c / refrigerator repair kits cuz no one else

would in the army... They had them, no one ever knew what to do with them, but I was like dude... this is good shit.

when I'm out I might need this, not that'll do any good here..  I'd like you to help me diagnose what's going on with

mine..but I think it's the 'blower' 06 dodge ram, I told the guy I bought it from this was happening, and he was

working on half a million dollar aircrafts for the army.  :| I knew he was probably just trying to be like a/c..that's an

accesory anyway and play it cool, but it makes serious noises when I try to turn it on, and I don't like walls of text.

:|

Bro it sounds like you know how to tell me this...and I had to sign for a/c / refrigerator repair kits cuz no one else

would in the army... They had them, no one ever knew what to do with them, but I was like dude... this is good shit.

when I'm out I might need this, not that'll do any good here..  I's like you to help me diagnose what's going on with

mine..but I think it's the 'blower' 06 dodge ram, I told the guy I bought it from this was happening, and he was

working on half a million dollar aircrafts for the army.  :| I knew he was probably just trying to be like a/c..that's an

accesory anyway and play it cool, but it makes serious noises when I try to turn it on, and I don't like walls of text.

:|

Well simple, does the blower work on any setting at all?

It only starts operating at the highest setting for the blower... and it sounds like it's grinding against something.

the fan providing the air flow..  It's sounded bad ever since I got the truck.. the 'refrigerant' levels were good when

I checked it last, and I think it's because.. something is fucking up with that main mechanical componet the blower.

It doesn't operate off of the radiator cooling fan, or whatever thing a lot of simple cars do either, because I can here

the coolant fan kick on lol.. It works.  :|

Most houses I have dealt with north of the Mason-Dixon line have one air handler for the whole place, even a 3 bedroom townhouse with a full finished basement. The return is high up on the wall where the wrap-around staircase is located.

Interesting.  I can imagine how poorly that must work.

It only starts operating at the highest setting for the blower... and it sounds like it's grinding against something.

the fan providing the air flow..  It's sounded bad ever since I got the truck.. the 'refrigerant' levels were good when

I checked it last, and I think it's because.. something is fucking up with that main mechanical componet the blower.

It doesn't operate off of the radiator cooling fan, or whatever thing a lot of simple cars do either, because I can here

the coolant fan kick on lol.. It works.  :|

Yeah.. replace the blower motor first. My Explorer actually smoked out my interior on setting 2, and after that it only worked on the highest setting or nothing lol. It's common for blowers to do that.

Yeah they already are, no working.

Come fix it.

Update

the repairman came to look at it and said the AC unit has no refrigerant in it, like there is a leak in it somewhere, and the whole unit would need replaced to the tune of $3400

i'm totally fucked

He didn't tell you where the leak was?

he didn't seem to know he theorized about the scenarios of the leak being in different places in the unit, but said in any case, it would need replaced

There are these wonderful tools called leak testers. Basically you put refrigerant in the system, run it, and hold the tool near the coils and line set and it yells at you when there is a leak.

I have brazed many pinholes in my day... I doubt the unit needs replaced unless the condenser coil has a leak.