UnevenEdge

my ac is broken

little_girl_lost

There are these wonderful tools called leak testers. Basically you put refrigerant in the system, run it, and hold the tool near the coils and line set and it yells at you when there is a leak.

I have brazed many pinholes in my day... I doubt the unit needs replaced unless the condenser coil has a leak.

The implication is that the leak is indeed inside the condenser coil or in the air handler.

While either the condenser or the air handler can be leak repaired, most HVAC guys are going to say that it's cheaper to replace either one than it is to try to repair it.  Whether or not that's the case depends on how good the explanation is from the tech (or how much you trust the guy), but taking apart a condenser and replacing the coils is difficult as it is, not counting the fact it might not even be possible to get the part.

That being said, chances are good that only one of the sections needs to be replace, not  both halves.

The implication is that the leak is indeed inside the condenser coil or in the air handler.

While either the condenser or the air handler can be leak repaired, most HVAC guys are going to say that it's cheaper to replace either one than it is to try to repair it.  Whether or not that's the case depends on how good the explanation is from the tech (or how much you trust the guy), but taking apart a condenser and replacing the coils is difficult as it is, not counting the fact it might not even be possible to get the part.

That being said, chances are good that only one of the sections needs to be replace, not  both halves.

Actually normally, it's the condenser coil, due to the exposure to the elements and whatnot. The A-coil inside the air handler usually only shows issue when it is clogged up with debris... which usually is the effect of a dirty or just no filter. I mean it really COULD just be a dirty filter. Also to add to that, the schrader valve where access it can go bad or loosen up and cause a leak.

There's a capacitor that triggers the compressor.  That's what usually goes (if you're lucky, 'cause it's relatively cheap).  Mine is acting up too.  Called a 24hr place, but they were booked solid.  Overnight, my compressor started working again - so I scheduled a routine maintenence for Fri, since they said they had a lot of people with no AC at all.  Naturally, the compressor stopped again around 3pm, at the height of the outdoor temp.

Our capacitor exploded Thurs night.  The unit has been shut down since then - it has the freon you're not supposed to use anymore and there is probably a leak somewhere in the system.  New AC & Furnace being installed tomorrow.  The old units were both manufactured in 2000, so they were beyond their normal lifespan.

Actually normally, it's the condenser coil, due to the exposure to the elements and whatnot. The A-coil inside the air handler usually only shows issue when it is clogged up with debris... which usually is the effect of a dirty or just no filter. I mean it really COULD just be a dirty filter. Also to add to that, the schrader valve where access it can go bad or loosen up and cause a leak.

Well, clogged filters are alway a concern, but I was only pointing to the possibilities of why leak repair would not be the cost effective solution, not which part was more likely to fail.  It's not likely to be both the air handler and the condenser at the same time, though, unless the system has been inactive for an extended period.

Our capacitor exploded Thurs night.  The unit has been shut down since then - it has the freon you're not supposed to use anymore and there is probably a leak somewhere in the system.  New AC & Furnace being installed tomorrow.  The old units were both manufactured in 2000, so they were beyond their normal lifespan.

R-22? That shit is still being produced. You just can't buy a unit pre-charged with it, those come with nitrogen in them which has to be evacuated before R-22 is put in it.

There is a slow transition for everything residential from portable/window units to large units having R-410A... less hazardous for the environment and a bit more efficient.

Well, clogged filters are alway a concern, but I was only pointing to the possibilities of why leak repair would not be the cost effective solution, not which part was more likely to fail.  It's not likely to be both the air handler and the condenser at the same time, though, unless the system has been inactive for an extended period.

I've seen that once... but the unit was from 1967, had no copper in it except the line set, and the condenser was on the roof of a 3-story building with an inverted pitch roof so it laid in water a lot.  -_'

I've seen that once... but the unit was from 1967, had no copper in it except the line set, and the condenser was on the roof of a 3-story building with an inverted pitch roof so it laid in water a lot.  -_'

HURRAY YOU SURVIVED YOUR HEART ATTACK LAST NIGHT!, NOW GO SEE A DOCTOR!!!!!! >:(

There are these wonderful tools called leak testers. Basically you put refrigerant in the system, run it, and hold the tool near the coils and line set and it yells at you when there is a leak.

I have brazed many pinholes in my day... I doubt the unit needs replaced unless the condenser coil has a leak.

the dude just wants $$$$

the dude just wants $$$$

Probably. It's like Horizon Services in the Philly metro area. I legit have heard commercials saying "If you have us come out before Memorial Day, You could save up to $5,000 on your next system.

Motherfucker I can install a system for under $5,000... :|