UnevenEdge

Looks like Blue Exorcist S2 won't be coming to Toonami in the foreseeable future

3ngag3

No We Can't Get Blue Exorcist S2 But We Can Get Tokyo Ghoul Edgelord supreme years after it's relevance has ended....

Reminds me of Durarara! and how we never got the future parts of that series

and we can't get Sailor Moon but we can get Naked womon ripping people's clothes off with giant scissors the anime ::]::

Hmm.  I can take it or leave it.  The first episode or 2 implied something like Ghostrider but we ended up with a SCHOOL anime with slice of life stuff.  But, as generic as it was and giving a false first impression, I didn't hate it.  The show was decent enough for what it was.  And people said the manga content the anime didn't cover was supposed to be pretty good, so I was curious about this.  Wouldn't have been a bad get for Toonami.

We do have the Hulu subscription though so maybe I'll watch that.

Toonami almost certainly wouldn't show Sailor Moon even if they had (have?) access to it.  It doesn't match the tone or demographic at all.

They tried to get Crystal but Hulu outbid them and locked up the rights to the entire franchise for a 1000 years.

Well I see this as a good thing. Exclusivity is good for other services just as much as it is for Toonami, because that means other companies can have guaranteed sales.  The only sad thing is that this happens to be the second season of a series that USED to air its dub on Toonami first. 

This turn of events makes me wonder about the state of Toonami and Aniplex's relationship.  Is it on the rocks?  Did Toonami give Aniplex the shaft?

More like, Aniplex in general is trying to be more aggressive in retaining their titles so that ONLY THEY AND THEY ALONE can use them. They have been taking back the titles they loaned to Funimation.

They tried to get Crystal but Hulu outbid them and locked up the rights to the entire franchise for a 1000 years.

That seems like it would have been a colossally stupid decision.  Demographics issues aside, the first few parts of Crystal were absolutely savaged by critics, and for good reason: the artwork was terrible, and despite being a much closer adaptation of the original manga, it lacked much of the charm of its 90s predecessor.  (I saw more than one fan argue that the earlier series was a marked improvement on Naoko Takeuchi's original work.)  I can't see any way that it would have retained long-term interest.

That seems like it would have been a colossally stupid decision.  Demographics issues aside, the first few parts of Crystal were absolutely savaged by critics, and for good reason: the artwork was terrible, and despite being a much closer adaptation of the original manga, it lacked much of the charm of its 90s predecessor.  (I saw more than one fan argue that the earlier series was a marked improvement on Naoko Takeuchi's original work.)  I can't see any way that it would have retained long-term interest.

They saw the TV edit. Anime studios for television go back and improve the animation for future releases of the episodes, and I believe Hulu got those later versions.

why does everyone think I mean Crystal when the original was redubbed?

They saw the TV edit. Anime studios for television go back and improve the animation for future releases of the episodes, and I believe Hulu got those later versions.

They did fix some things for the home video release, but even then the artwork was decidedly sub-par.  And the iconic transformation sequences were some CGI nonsense.

Ben was the one claiming they were chasing Crystal, which would be more reasonable.  New dub or not, general audiences have a (really ignorant) prejudice against shows that "look too old," so I think that would have been a non-starter for the original series.

They did fix some things for the home video release, but even then the artwork was decidedly sub-par.  And the iconic transformation sequences were some CGI nonsense.

Ben was the one claiming they were chasing Crystal, which would be more reasonable.  New dub or not, general audiences have a (really ignorant) prejudice against shows that "look too old," so I think that would have been a non-starter for the original series.

**clears throat**

20140530-191959-69599841.jpg

More like, Aniplex in general is trying to be more aggressive in retaining their titles so that ONLY THEY AND THEY ALONE can use them. They have been taking back the titles they loaned to Funimation.

Then those Funimation/Aniplex box sets go out of print and after that they cost a fortune from private sellers 

Because that was the show they were trying to acquire.  They didn't try to get the old one because they already aired it, in addition to the whole "too old" issue a good number of viewers have.  I'd say it's comparable to how some people won't watch old movies because they're "before their time" or simply because they're black and white.  It's stupid but it is what it is.

Yeah I have fond memories of the original series but when hearing how critics and fans lambasted Crystal for the reasons you described and others I wasn't too enthused about it.  The low production values are not encouraging.  This is case is a clear example that CLOSER TO THE MANGA is not the be all end all. 

I think their logic was Sailor Moon is a big retro Toonami show and they couldn't go after the old one for reasons stated so by default they go for whatever is newest, in this case Crystal, which is unfortunately crap.  So it's ultimately for the best that Hulu made their power play and kept the show off the block.

Oh yeah I forgot about that.  At least we can remind ourselves that Hulu is mainstream so it should get a decent amount of views.  But like you said it's kind of sad because it originally dub premiered on Toonami.  Imagine if that happen with AoT?  That'd just be doin' Toonami dirty.  Then again it's just friggin Blue Exorcist.  I just hope a similar situation doesn't keep a certain other show's next season off the block...

Oh yeah I forgot about that.  At least we can remind ourselves that Hulu is mainstream so it should get a decent amount of views.  But like you said it's kind of sad because it originally dub premiered on Toonami.  Imagine if that happen with AoT?  That'd just be doin' Toonami dirty.  Then again it's just friggin Blue Exorcist.  I just hope a similar situation doesn't keep a certain other show's next season off the block...

Blue Exorcist premiered on Neon Alley.

Are you talking about Gundam IBO? Because you can't be talking about One-Punch Man. After all, its last topical even mentioned it as a "season finale", implying that Toonami already has some sort of deal on One-Punch Man 2!

Are you talking about Gundam IBO? Because you can't be talking about One-Punch Man. After all, its last topical even mentioned it as a "season finale", implying that Toonami already has some sort of deal on One-Punch Man 2!

Was talking about SAO3.

Kind of embarrassed to say that I was unaware the first season played on Toonami.

It was pretty forgettable. I mean 2014 had the first season of Attack on Titan, the entire run of Space Dandy, the final season of Bleach, the return of DBZ and the Toonami runs of Black Lagoon, Hellsing Ultimate and Gurren Lagann. Blue Exorcist feels pretty lost in the shuffle among those more memorable titles and big moments for the block. They didn't rerun it on-air, it never had a marathon it just came and went as the show that aired between Toonami's runs of SAO and Gurren Lagann. Gurren's run of Toonami is pretty easy to forget as well but nobody is gonna say that show doesn't stand out above the crowd. Blue Exorcist was a flavor of the month that I'm a bit surprised even got a second season after this long.

what the hell? not only was I at that convention, but I was sitting in that panel. i dn't recall them saying it would only ever be on Hulu....plus, that just means it'l debut there, right? nothing stopping Toonami from picking it up after the fact. hell, most of the lineup immediately following the revival was made up of stuff I already owned on DVD.

SAO is terrible. dear god, let's not have more of that. is there really a third freaking season?

there is

and a movie, expect them both on Toonami by 2018 ::]::

if Trump hasn't gotten us killed by then :|