UnevenEdge

The AI-pocalypse is Here

matrixman124

I did a thread about AI art in the arts discussion area but I think we're finally at a point where we can have a thread about the fucked up shit that is happening with prompt generated content because it is now actively being used by 4channers to spread hate. Joy!

https://www.404media.co/4chan-uses-bing-to-flood-the-internet-with-racist-images/

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

This is definitely troubling, but it's 4channers using Dall-E....this has to be the most low effort troll ever. 

Also, since that article gives pretty clear instructions on how to do it, I feel like they are in on the troll

Let's just put it this way: the wider implications are disturbing.

You can AI generate Mickey Mouse flying a plane into the Twin Towers right now. On Bing.

15 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

Let's just put it this way: the wider implications are disturbing.

You can AI generate Mickey Mouse flying a plane into the Twin Towers right now. On Bing.

Ok, I get that and I agree ftmp, but I'm mostly critical of AI for different reasons....I can't really blame the technology for racist propaganda...that's all over the Internet and AI had nothing to do with it until now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Ok, I get that and I agree ftmp, but I'm mostly critical of AI for different reasons....I can't really blame the technology for racist propaganda...that's all over the Internet and AI had nothing to do with it until now.

My point is AI is making it easier to put that stuff together faster. No MS paint or Photoshop required 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i'm almost positive that's some sort of quasi-matt berry-playing a hybrid man/animal things (yeah...it's been done)
i want to know if those are 'gary's' cousin's eyeballs...or...testi-eyes?

image.thumb.png.47559722f31558f1680e5d2c1a18c057.png

and what happened to whatever this is?

image.thumb.png.2571612e3a3d21e1ab58b5e9f7747662.png

Edited by discolé monade
and yes, i had to look up the words and the person because IHAF and dont' have the mental capacity to search my files, as they are currentyly unorganized
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

In order for machines to take over the world and put all human beings in zoos they are going to need sentience or consciousness. 

We don't know how consciousness works in human beings. It's called the "hard problem of consciousness". The idea that we humans are going to give it to another entity when we don't understand it in ourselves is a little far-fetched. 

56 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Screenshot_20231120-174840.thumb.png.caf866fedf41886c69e3a6cd66c933d1.png

I don't really think that's the case.  Yes, tech startups are investing heavily in R&D and they are putting out a lot of flashy "research" to con both investors and consumers.  We aren't at the inflection point where lab research is being overtaken by corporate research, though; we're still at a place where comparatively rudimentary machine learning is being expanded while the difficult and all-important development of machine thought is still in its infancy.  We can't pretend that the end goal is artificial intelligence reaching sentience in a science horror apocalyptic fashion - it has always been to seamlessly augment human intelligence.  What these corporate researchers are doing is little more than accentuating the novelty aspects of AI.

• Like 1

I have to chime in here. I agree that most AI is bad. But I have to bring something up.

Remember all the hoopla surrounding the last ever Beatles song because the media said the surviving members were going to use AI to complete it and all the surviving members did was use AI software created by Peter Jackson that successfully separated John Lennon's vocals from the crude demo he made? I remember, too. In fact, the Beatles (well, everyone involved who's still alive) even made a making of documentary explaining the process.

This example shows the positive impact AI can have provided we don't abuse it. (Kind of how the potential of the internet was, especially at the turn of the millennium.)

Edited by Gemini

16 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I have to chime in here. I agree that most AI is bad. But I have to bring something up.

Remember all the hoopla surrounding the last ever Beatles song because the media said they surviving members were going to use AI to complete it and all the surviving members did was use AI software created by Peter Jackson that successfully separated John Lennon's vocals from the crude demo he made? I remember, too. In fact, the Beatles (well, everyone involved who's still alive) even made a making of documentary explaining the process.

This example shows the positive impact AI can have provided we don't abuse it. (Kind of how the potential of the internet was, especially at the turn of the millennium.)

Look, I have never been all the way against AI but the way it's being used is not as a tool. It's being used to supplant human-made media because the contentification of everything has reduced the value of human made art.

Its one of the reasons SAG and WAG were striking - because they don't want to be replaced and supplanted and reduced to a texture and voice pack you throw on a motion capture model

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, matrixman124 said:

Look, I have never been all the way against AI but the way it's being used is not as a tool. It's being used to supplant human-made media because the contentification of everything has reduced the value of human made art.

Its one of the reasons SAG and WAG were striking - because they don't want to be replaced and supplanted and reduced to a texture and voice pack you throw on a motion capture model

Well, look here, bucko. I agree with what you just said, and I actually supported SAG-AFTRA and WAG in their strike. I was just pointing out one instance where AI was used for good. It didn't "create" anything; all it did was separate someone's voice from instrumentation on a poor quality demo because that's what it was designed to do.

If you want to get mad at anybody, get mad at those who abuse AI tech, not at me for pointing out the one good thing that came from a piece of AI tech. And by the way, the whole song was made the right way; it just needed the technology to separate John Lennon's vocal from his piano and be made crisp and clear, which is what happened. So again, your anger at me is misdirected because again, I agree with you. But hey, you do you and I'll do me. I'm not going to debate this any longer.

Edit: I agree that it's largely not being used as a tool. Peter Jackson, on the other hand, created his AI tech to specifically be used as a tool for good, and it gave us the final song from undoubtedly the most influencial musical act in history. That was my point, and I thought you were debating that. Sorry for misreading your intentions.

Edited by Gemini

I just hear that a lot in defense of AI and I'm very tired. Like what you said is a valid point about AI being used as a tool, but we have left that station a long time ago. Things have been taken way past that and the brakes need to be pumped.

What we really need is a regulatory committee that has to legally be allowed to see the code of an AI algorithm and verify if it's being used in a lawful way. Cuz right now AIs are all black boxes and only the CEOs/engineers of a company know what's inside them and they have literally nobody stopping them from pushing AI in all of the wrong directions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, matrixman124 said:

I just hear that a lot in defense of AI and I'm very tired. Like what you said is a valid point about AI being used as a tool, but we have left that station a long time ago. Things have been taken way past that and the brakes need to be pumped.

What we really need is a regulatory committee that has to legally be allowed to see the code of an AI algorithm and verify if it's being used in a lawful way. Cuz right now AIs are all black boxes and only the CEOs/engineers of a company know what's inside them and they have literally nobody stopping them from pushing AI in all of the wrong directions.

I couldn't agree with you more.

• Like 1

I think my most recent problem with AI is people are too stupid to recognize it.

Someone used AI to make a Drake verse....they then used existing video clips on top of the audio and made a video and people were like "where do I get this song, where's the full video" and even though there was like....4 of us maybe, commenting that the poor grammar was AI generated....and obviously so.

So in that manner, it can be used to fool millions and they won't care as long as they can consume content....and with that one time payment, you can "create" endlessly....Why would I pay the actual artist when a reasonable facsimile is just fine for the braindead masses.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, André Toulon said:

I think my most recent problem with AI is people are too stupid to recognize it.

Someone used AI to make a Drake verse....they then used existing video clips on top of the audio and made a video and people were like "where do I get this song, where's the full video" and even though there was like....4 of us maybe, commenting that the poor grammar was AI generated....and obviously so.

So in that manner, it can be used to fool millions and they won't care as long as they can consume content....and with that one time payment, you can "create" endlessly....Why would I pay the actual artist when a reasonable facsimile is just fine for the braindead masses.

This seems similar to people being gullible enough to think anything they see online is legit. Think of the person who thinks obviously fake ads attached to articles on Cracked.com (or whatever website that is desperate enough to sell ad space to fraudsters). 

Even posts on social media, I don't read/look at it unless it's coming from an account I trust. 

I may read a post shared by the official account of CNN that I am 100% sure is the official account but I never read posts from a random "news" account I've never heard of before. 

This kind of fooling people has been around for as long as the interet has existed. Doesn't make it less annoying though. 

• Like 1

Despite all the hype, many applications of AI are surprisingly unnecessary to daily life. Search engines, web feeds, service chatbots and digital assistants are all things people can live without. Recommendation systems on your Netflix or YouTube accounts aren't important if you think they are complete bunk and don't pay attention to them. 

Don't get me started on self-driving cars and how that's probably never going to happen. 

Are we 100% sure AI isn't the new cryptocurrency or NFTs? 

17 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Who are ya trying to convince?

Just trying to formulate thoughts on a complex topic. You are seeing my process of doing so. I'm doing this instead of working like I should be. 

Edit: maybe I should keep my stream of consciousness writing to my own private notes. 

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Insipid said:

I'm surprised no one posted this yet. OpenAI, the creator of ChatGPT, has been in chaos the past few days. The CEO may be joining Microsoft to help their AI projects.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/21/tech/openai-sam-altman-board-microsoft/index.html

I'm pretty sure that was the impetus for the first post in weeks even if indirectly, and in particular, Icarus' response.  The typical denials that come with the rationale behind the firing muddy things a bit, but eat idea that the board may be afraid of what ever nuclear invention OpenAI came up with and immediately hid adds a menacing subtext to this AI debate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

I'm pretty sure that was the impetus for the first post in weeks even if indirectly, and in particular, Icarus' response.  The typical denials that come with the rationale behind the firing muddy things a bit, but eat idea that the board may be afraid of what ever nuclear invention OpenAI came up with and immediately hid adds a menacing subtext to this AI debate.

Time travelers preventing the robot takeover, obviously.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, André Toulon said:

This as well. And furthermore, I wanted to point out that I absolutely hate it when someone who's supposed to be a writer decides to use AI (like ChatGPT) to write poetry, prose, or TV/movie scripts (which was a main point of contention for the SAG-AFTRA and WAG respective strikes) and tries to pass it off as their own. As someone who considers himself a writer, I would never, ever use AI tech to write something. I either finish what I've started writing or I put it to the side only to approach it later with fresh eyes. Case in point: You can say whatever you want about me, but at least include that I have artistic integrity when doing so.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Great thread about the Sam Altman firing and rehiring. Basically the board fired him for pushing commercial AI generation products against the board's wishes. The investors want the commercial initiatives to get a return on investment so they dissolve the board and bring Altman back as OpenAI CEO. Pretty fucked all and all.

• Like 2