UnevenEdge

Netflix to distribute the live-action My Hero Academia, because the universe has a sick sense of humor

Jman

2 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

We already have a live action My Hero Academia.

It's called 'Sky High'

I’ve heard this joke nonstop since the project was first announced years ago.

So I’m just going to say it.

FUCK SKY HIGH.  IT WAS SHIT.  A WASTE OF BRUCE CAMPBELL.  A BOX OFFICE BOMB.  IT SUCKED.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jman said:

I’ve heard this joke nonstop since the project was first announced years ago.

So I’m just going to say it.

FUCK SKY HIGH.  IT WAS SHIT.  A WASTE OF BRUCE CAMPBELL.  A BOX OFFICE BOMB.  IT SUCKED.

I think it had potential, but they went wayyyyy too campy with it.

3 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Well it was a Disney film marketed towards kids.

Always remember, just because something is marketed to kids.... doesn't mean it has to suck.

It didn't seem to know what it was trying to be. A wacky parody/ comedy? Or a serious story about a super hero school? 

Harry Potter was about a wizard school and heavily marketed to kids, it didn't treat its story as a joke though.

• Like 2

You'd think at some point, western studios would look at the track record of live-action anime adaptations being both critical and financial poison and just cut their losses. Like, I'm pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of these things that have actually made a profit and/or got genuinely positive reception. If nobody's able to make money off of this idea, and the intended audience tends to be lukewarm to downright hostile about the idea, maybe it's just not a viable idea and you should let it go?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

You'd think at some point, western studios would look at the track record of live-action anime adaptations being both critical and financial poison and just cut their losses. Like, I'm pretty sure you can count on one hand the number of these things that have actually made a profit and/or got genuinely positive reception. If nobody's able to make money off of this idea, and the intended audience tends to be lukewarm to downright hostile about the idea, maybe it's just not a viable idea and you should let it go?

I've actually always wondered about this. How does Hollywood actually make money? Most of what they put out is crap, and they put out far more bombs than money makers.

My guess is the money makers make so much money that they pay for all the bombs and still have money left over.

Look at DC movies. A whole wad of money losers. So what do they do? Put out Black Adam. It loses money. What will they do next? More DC movies. 

Why? Don't know.

15 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Yeah, but all the good comics have been used.  Seriously, we’re scraping the bottom of the barrel over at the House of Ideas (Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Ms. Marvel), DC has no clue what it’s doing, and indie comics worth a damn have dried up.  

The problem is that manga adaptations don’t work nearly as well because they’re much less malleable.  So they naturally go for the most obvious Shounen Jump titles with no way to translate that into a visual medium, or change so much the end result is slurry (the script for the LA Gundam from the Paper Girls and Y the Last Man guy is supposed to be complete shit).

So be on the look out for Chainsaw Man in 2026 starring that black kid from Cobra Kai as Denji.  And it’s directed by Quentin Tarantino. (Actually, Tarantino is the one director I would actually somewhat be morbidly curious with a Chainsaw Man movie).

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

Technically we were scraping the bottom of the barrel when Guardians of the Galaxy came out. Like most people, I hadn't heard of any of those characters. 

But Marvel at the time had good enough writing to turn obscure characters into big franchises. Disney/Marvel doesn't have that anymore, and WB/DC never had it.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 11:08 AM, matrixman124 said:

I actually really liked Sky High. Superhero materials can be Super (ha) camp. I think it worked. And Bruce is the king of B movie camp. He was perfect for that film.

I wanted a sequel for a long ass time. Also me during a rewatch some years later: "Warr..en...Peace? Ohhhhhh!"

InfamousCriminalBaiji-size_restricted.gi

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I would argue that Black Panther has sort of done that. And then there's Dr. Strange.

On the DC side, Suicide Squad/Harley Quinn KIND of did that. Not many had really heard of King Shark before Ron Funches voiced him. Also, Aquaman IS relatively obscure.

Aquaman Obscure? What are you smokin bro?

3 hours ago, Top Gun said:

No one watched old CN promos?

"My ability to talk to fish is of no use to us here!"

I mean he's not exactly well respected but almost every human being in America knows exactly who Aquaman is, even before the movies came out. That's the opposite of obscure.

Edited by Daos

• 11 months later...