UnevenEdge

Biden's Pardons meet new Highs

Jman

Don't light it up just yet. The announcement I just read was that he will do it, not that he already has.

One hangup though is that he can only pardon for federal possession. So anyone charged under a state penal statute is still stuck with it unless that state also chooses to pardon/expunge.

Edit: I probably should have just gone to the source instead of reading Politico: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2022/10/06/granting-pardon-for-the-offense-of-simple-possession-of-marijuana/

Edited by Raptorpat
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

How often does the feds get involved with simple possession?  Seems like a waste of their time, no?

I split this off the elections thread because it seemed worth discussing on its own, but I think the reality is that this came out of nowhere a month before the election.

Was just talking to a friend of mine who does ground level campaign stuff and he suggested it means the Dems officially gave up on the House and are willing to abandon moderates to the GOP's crime narrative in exchange for motivating minority turnout (given all the unjust abuses of marijuana laws) to save Warnock and push Barnes over the edge in the Senate. 

Not sure that I'd go along with his narrative, but it's certainly an election play more than a massive policy shift. Though this might be the first time Biden came out in favor of anything like this.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Yeah literally almost never, it's a symbolic move. Should've been pushing to legalize it on day one but here we are almost two years later with the shadow of crumbs

Beats doing nothing but to the million people languishing in state prisons for petty drug crimes, it’s nothing. 

Biden has been getting on my nerves with his bullshit. Like how theres still tons of people fucked by student loans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Beats doing nothing but to the million people languishing in state prisons for petty drug crimes, it’s nothing. 

Biden has been getting on my nerves with his bullshit. Like how theres still tons of people fucked by student loans. 

The latter is more Sinema and Manchin.  When he did the bare minimum, lawsuits was launched.

It’s frustrating but the choices are literally “your ass or a hole in the ground.”

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I split this off the elections thread because it seemed worth discussing on its own, but I think the reality is that this came out of nowhere a month before the election.

Was just talking to a friend of mine who does ground level campaign stuff and he suggested it means the Dems officially gave up on the House and are willing to abandon moderates to the GOP's crime narrative in exchange for motivating minority turnout (given all the unjust abuses of marijuana laws) to save Warnock and push Barnes over the edge in the Senate. 

Not sure that I'd go along with his narrative, but it's certainly an election play more than a massive policy shift. Though this might be the first time Biden came out in favor of anything like this.

Biden’s been half assing everything. Half ass loan forgiveness not decriminalizing or straight legalizing marijuana democrats really suck. Theres no reason to give  up anything the Republicans have no policy other that distracting culture wars.  This move doesn’t seem to help that many people in the scheme of things. He could do more. He could be better but we get what we get I guess 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jman said:

The latter is more Sinema and Manchin.  When he did the bare minimum, lawsuits was launched.

So fight the lawsuits, my god it's the federal government. But Dems never want to fight for anything to actually help people or fundamentally change anything but instead just do a cartoonish shadow of the bare minimum for short term propaganda purposes. 

5 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Biden’s been half assing everything. Half ass loan forgiveness not decriminalizing or straight legalizing marijuana democrats really suck. Theres no reason to give  up anything the Republicans have no policy other that distracting culture wars.  This move doesn’t seem to help that many people in the scheme of things. He could do more. He could be better but we get what we get I guess 

It does provide cover to those states that have taken the steps toward doing something similar, particularly those that legalized marijuana.  I tend to not agree with Pat’s friend given there are a considerable number of competitive suburban seats in liberal states (including my own district) that can benefit from this.  It might not stave off GOP control, but I certainly limits the damage.

All four major meta-metrics are trending GOP right now. (Generic ballot, party affiliation, right track/wrong track and former VP Biden's approval)

This will not move the needle save for a select few districts with a very distinct make-up. Senate races won't be impacted that much either, they tend to go with the meta more than a niche issue like this. It also plays into the GOP narrative of "Dems are soft on crime", and with people being assaulted and robbed regularly anything that coincides with that will only harm Dems.

• D'oh 1

8 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

All four major meta-metrics are trending GOP right now. (Generic ballot, party affiliation, right track/wrong track and former VP Biden's approval)

This will not move the needle save for a select few districts with a very distinct make-up. Senate races won't be impacted that much either, they tend to go with the meta more than a niche issue like this. It also plays into the GOP narrative of "Dems are soft on crime", and with people being assaulted and robbed regularly anything that coincides with that will only harm Dems.

The homeless issue is far more important than this to the GOP narrative, and even that isn’t having the impact given the abortion rights gift.   This is more to shore up current partisan lines.

12 hours ago, Ginguy said:

You're right....This is worded and designed to benefit a very narrow and specific group of people.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Most frustrating to me is just how much the Democratic party and Biden specifically have done to exacerbate both of these enormous problems which have immiserated so many millions of people, and now that everyone's all the way sick of their evil shit the best they can do to respond to public pressure is this fake stage show BS for purely cynical political propaganda purposes.

"Oh yeah, the cost of college is uhh, well it's a little bit too high. Mm yeah we totally support abortion, while also supporting the police who will be enforcing its prohibition and of course our wonderful virulently anti-choice Democratic congressmen. They're good team players on other things! And uhh what else, oh marijuana, we'll we're uhh just beginning to look at *something something* about marijuana. Anyway, here's billions of more dollars for the police!!! They need more money and we need way more of them, 100,000 more cops ASAP!!! You know so they can continue to enforce the unbelievably horrible and always getting worse status quo, which we get absolutely red in the face rabid about whenever anyone suggests that we are trying to do anything to change it. We're not! We love the status quo and are just tinkering around the edges slightly! Don't fix what isn't broken, and this system is DEFINITELY NOT broken! Vote for us!!!"

Edited by NewBluntsworth
  • Sad 1

Fee1Ma8XoAEXkHv.jpeg.9d3682c35780e9be307476216e2e4602.jpeg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-pardons-thousands-for-simple-possession-of-marijuana/2022/10/06/0d4a829c-45aa-11ed-be17-89cbe6b8c0a5_story.html

Fake clown show. Why don't these villains let some actual human beings who never hurt anyone out of their cages for once, that would be a nice change of pace for these vile sadists. If they really want to pardon people they have literally millions of nonviolent victims of the failed war on drugs to choose from, languishing in prison or struggling to get by after being released because of their """criminal record.""""

Freeing actual prisoners to me would be a good start at doing something Real and good and not fake. 

Edited by NewBluntsworth

Agree with the post above.  Pardons aren't just for people who are incarcerated, though such people certainly deserve it, they also expunge records of people who are barred from jobs, housing, and services because of criminal records.  People who have served their sentence for possession with intent to distribute or possession alongside other non-violent crimes should also be pardoned.  Given that this isn't the case, it seems certain that this is more or less an action designed for political optics, not an actual attempt at affect the potential voter base.

• D'oh 1

5 hours ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Most frustrating to me is just how much the Democratic party and Biden specifically have done to exacerbate both of these enormous problems which have immiserated so many millions of people, and now that everyone's all the way sick of their evil shit the best they can do to respond to public pressure is this fake stage show BS for purely cynical political propaganda purposes.

"Oh yeah, the cost of college is uhh, well it's a little bit too high. Mm yeah we totally support abortion, while also supporting the police who will be enforcing its prohibition and of course our wonderful virulently anti-choice Democratic congressmen. They're good team players on other things! And uhh what else, oh marijuana, we'll we're uhh just beginning to look at *something something* about marijuana. Anyway, here's billions of more dollars for the police!!! They need more money and we need way more of them, 100,000 more cops ASAP!!! You know so they can continue to enforce the unbelievably horrible and always getting worse status quo, which we get absolutely red in the face rabid about whenever anyone suggests that we are trying to do anything to change it. We're not! We love the status quo and are just tinkering around the edges slightly! Don't fix what isn't broken, and this system is DEFINITELY NOT broken! Vote for us!!!"

That’s bleak af and it’s true.  it’s enough  to make a person paranoid. Paranoid enough to think this shit is on purpose because both parties really want the same things.  Ya got Pelosi shilling for some anti choice democrat over a more progressive choice because the progressive candidate couldn’t possibly win even with obvious party support so fuck it. We back the other guy. Then the Republicans stick together regardless. Fuckin had a president that incited a fuckin riot, an insurrection, but they still support him. What do we get?  Manchin and Sinema. I mean wtf?  Two people have stopped every fuckin policy that has tremendous support with everyone that wasn’t disgustingly rich, or incredibly stupid. Idk 

Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

11 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

That’s bleak af and it’s true.  It’s entire to make a person paranoid enough to think this shit is on purpose because both parties really want the same things.  

Yes, they are twins, there is very little to absolutely no daylight between them on almost any issue that actually matters. 

11 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Ya got Pelosi shilling for some anti choice democrat over a more progressive choice because the progressive candidate couldn’t possibly win even with obvious party support so fuck it.

Well that's the kayfabe reason they give, they say it's pragmatic and tactical for reasons that are simply above the heads of the people they look down on like you and me, but that's all showbiz and fakery, the real reason is the Democratic party -- its small cadre of people who really control the party and their rich donors and the military empire/global corporation the party is a public-facing extension of, just like the Republican party -- is and always will be fundamentally opposed to any changes that a normal person like Jessica Cisneros would like to see in the world. That's it and that is the end of it, honest and truly. 

It would honestly be so nice if it were as easy as electing enough good Democrats to outnumber the bad ones. That would be wonderful if that was all we had to do to make the changes that people like Cisneros stand for, but no that is not the case and anyway the party will simply never allow that to happen. 

Reality is much darker than that fairy tale story Democratic voters tell themselves every time they go to the polls to rubber stamp their approval of this supremely evil institution. 

Edited by NewBluntsworth

8 minutes ago, NewBluntsworth said:

Yes, they are twins, there is very little to absolutely no daylight between them on almost any issue that actually matters. 

Well that's the kayfabe reason they give, they say it's pragmatic and tactical for reasons that are simply above the heads of the people they look down on like you and me, but that's all showbiz and fakery, the real reason is the Democratic party -- its small cadre of people who really control the party and their rich donors and the military empire/global corporation the party is a public-facing extension of, just like the Republican party -- is and always will be fundamentally opposed to any changes that a normal person like Jessica Cisneros would like to see in the world. That's it and that is the end of it, honest and truly. 

It would honestly be so nice if it were as easy as electing enough good Democrats to outnumber the bad ones. That would be wonderful if that was all we had to do to make the changes that people like Cisneros stand for, but no that is not the case and anyway the party will simply never allow that to happen. 

Reality is much darker than that fairy tale story Democratic voters tell themselves every time they go to the polls to rubber stamp their approval of this supremely evil institution. 

Unfortunately there are no other choices though it’s Republican or Democrat both of which receive donations from the same people so they have to keep those pretty happy that said, paranoia aside, the Republicans are so in your face evil right now that allowing them to win by voting third party in elections isn’t the way either. I have no idea what the answer is.  We got one party full of nothing but Pennywise the Clowns and the other side are pre Dorthy Cowardly Lions.  All the Democrats had to do was not be worse than Republicans because they are so crazy but they don’t seem capable of that. Like I said it’s like they’re intentionally incompetent in a lot of ways 

• 10 months later...

The Biden administration’s Department of Health and Human Services is recommending that the Drug Enforcement Agency significantly loosen federal restrictions on marijuana but stopped short of advising that it should be entirely removed from the Controlled Substances Act.

The health agency wants the drug moved from Schedule I to Schedule III under the CSA, potentially the biggest change in federal drug policy in decades.

HHS Assistant Secretary of Health Rachel Levine wrote in a Tuesday letter to the DEA, first reported by Bloomberg News, that the recommendation was based on a review conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.

The DEA confirmed to POLITICO that it received the letter.

“As part of this process, HHS conducted a scientific and medical evaluation for consideration by DEA. DEA has the final authority to schedule or reschedule a drug under the Controlled Substances Act,” a spokesperson for the agency said in a statement. “DEA will now initiate its review.”

The HHS letter is part of the official review process initiated by President Joe Biden last October: The FDA conducts the review, which is then sent to the National Institute on Drug Abuse and HHS, after which HHS transmits a letter of recommendation to the DEA. The DEA is not required to follow HHS’s recommendation.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/30/marijuana-review-move-to-schedule-iii-00113493

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Through this proclamation, consistent with the grant of Proclamation 10467, I am pardoning additional individuals who may continue to experience the unnecessary collateral consequences of a conviction for simple possession of marijuana, attempted simple possession of marijuana, or use of marijuana.  Therefore, acting pursuant to the grant of authority in Article II, Section 2, of the Constitution of the United States, I, Joseph R. Biden Jr., do hereby grant a full, complete, and unconditional pardon to all current United States citizens and lawful permanent residents who, on or before the date of this proclamation, committed or were convicted of the offense of simple possession of marijuana, attempted simple possession of marijuana, or use of marijuana, regardless of whether they have been charged with or prosecuted for these offenses on or before the date of this proclamation, in violation of

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2023/12/22/a-proclamation-on-granting-pardon-for-the-offense-of-simple-possession-of-marijuana-attempted-simple-possession-of-marijuana-or-use-of-marijuana/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwimOdin said:

Is this even enforceable? A pre-pardon doesn’t seem like it’s allowed?

Since it's only covering the most basic of 'I got busted with a joint' type offenses and does not pardon any additional charges that might be included [ like 'I got caught with a pound of weed, meth and a need for speed' type charges ], it honestly sounds more like its codifying what many areas have already started to do or have been doing - letting the little offense slide as long as there are no other offenses. I don't look at it as a pre-pardon for those that haven't been charged yet but might be in the system for a charge, more like a statement that that tiny stuff shouldn't matter anymore so focus on the serious stuff. 

• 4 months later...

April 30, 2024 02:39 PM UPDATED 23 MINUTES AGO
Federal government will reclassify marijuana, ease restrictions
Josh Wingrove, Tiffany Kary and Riley Griffin, Bloomberg

The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is recommending cannabis be reclassified as less risky, people familiar with the matter said — a move that could help the legal marijuana industry benefit from tax breaks. Pot stocks surged on the news.

Several steps remain in the process of rescheduling marijuana to Schedule III from Schedule I, said the people, who asked not to be named because the information hasn’t yet been made public. This would ease access to cannabis without decriminalizing it.

Shares of cannabis-related companies surged in Tuesday trading, with Tilray Brands jumping as much as 33%, while Canopy Growth Corp. soared nearly 40%. Meanwhile, the MJ PurePlay 100 Index, which tracks 95 global stocks exposed to the cannabis industry, climbed about 18%, its biggest one-day gain since October 2022.

“Rescheduling is likely to bring a vibrant return of investor interest that could quickly move the sector back to robust optimism,” said Morgan Paxhia, co-founder of Poseidon Investment Management, which invests in cannabis.

A majority of Americans believe marijuana should be decriminalized for recreational or medical use, a policy that Biden said he would pursue while in office but that still lacks widespread support in Congress. Biden’s favorability has waned among key voting blocs that favor legalization that he needs to win reelection, including young voters and Black Americans.

Rescheduling, if ultimately enacted, would represent a boon to the legal cannabis industry that is estimated to have generated around $35 billion in sales last year, according to New Frontier Data, a market research firm. It responds to growing cries to reclassify the drug in order to make medical use easier, and bring in more tax dollars through regulated sales. The decision would push back against concerns that reclassifying the drug could make it harder to prosecute drug cartels, and that new high-potency forms of cannabis are addictive.

If marijuana is reclassified as Schedule III it will be treated like substances such as ketamine and anabolic steroids, which require prescriptions but aren’t federally prohibited. Marijuana is currently classified as Schedule I, which means it’s seen as equally risky to drugs such as heroin.

A spokeswoman for the DEA declined to comment, and referred calls to the DOJ.

“Moving to Schedule III represents a tectonic shift in our nation’s drug laws,” said the U.S. Cannabis Council, a trade group for the industry, adding that the change would end the tax penalty called 280E that bars companies that deal in federally illegal substances from taking tax deductions. The new legal status should help cannabis businesses of all sizes, the group said, and make the regulated market better able to compete with the illegal market.

In October 2022, President Joe Biden asked the Department of Health and Human Services secretary and the U.S. Attorney General to review how marijuana was scheduled based on its medical use, potential for abuse, safety and potential for dependence. Months later in August 2023, HHS sent a letter to the Drug Enforcement Administration head Anne Milgram recommending easing restrictions on marijuana by reclassifying it as a Schedule III drug under the Controlled Substances Act. The recommendation, which was first reported by Bloomberg News, set in motion the DEA’s own monthslong review process.

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/cannabis/us-dea-will-reclassify-marijuana-ease-restrictions

• Like 1