UnevenEdge

Coronavirus, also called SARS-Covid-2 or Covid-19, is a novel coronavirus that is currently causing a pandemic worldwide. So far nearly 350,000 people have died and more than 5.27M people have contracted the virus with more than 2.2M having fully recovered from the virus. 

Some places you can get information on the virus are:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://faq.coronavirus.gov/

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/23/world/coronavirus-news-update.html 

Just now, Master-Debater131 said:

You both had confirmed cases?  How did it go? 

We were early, presumed positive. All the symptoms and we got separated for almost three weeks.

There was some other stuff going on during it too, that we had to be careful of....

She didn't have it as bad as me, it seems... I paid extra on Amazon to get the big jar of vitamin C and started doing 8000 Mgs a day. No clue if it helped, but the fever subsided quickly.. my chest took a while to clear up, and there was a lot of doubt if it was allergies at the end.

I am susceptible to pneumonia too.

Shit sucked. But I feel like I have had worse... the hype made me think we were in for it.

Whats interesting is you match a pattern others have spotted, men seem to do worse with this than women. If yours was worse than hers that falls right in line with some of the early research that is coming out. 

Im really starting to think that while this virus is a huge problem, it may not be as problematic as we first thought. Lots of research keeps coming out showing that the vast majority of people who have this get over it just fine. Its just a small, but sizable, portion of people who get it and really struggle with it. 

Age and other health factors also seem to play an huge role into how quickly people can fight this off. 

I mean, the CDC is saying now it can't be spread on the surfaces as previously believed..... a lot isn't known. But what is known, is a lot of people have died... and a lot of Americans 

Yea, thats sorta how this whole thing has gone though hasnt it? We just keep guessing what is going on because we dont know anything about the virus, then better research comes out that helps us understand it and deal with it. 

We are in the greater Philly area and its been bad around here with the lockdown, and cases..Jersey being second to NY.

I am fortunate to work remotely. I was able to petition for my teams to work from home too. We are working through a strategy to get everyone back in now, in the next 2 months... as, we are exposed significantly from a risk perspective.

37 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Im really starting to think that while this virus is a huge problem, it may not be as problematic as we first thought. 

100,000 dead americans can't be wrong.

Welp, guess I'll start following this thread.

Does anyone have a reputable link on comparing coronavirus cases/deaths to flu cases/deaths worldwide?  

Oxfam’s new report “Dignity Not Destitution,” estimates that between six and eight percent of the global population could be forced into poverty as governments shut down entire economies to manage the spread of the virus. This could set back the fight against poverty by a decade, and as much as 30 years in some regions such as sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and North Africa. This could mean that more than half of the global population could be living in poverty in the aftermath of this pandemic.

From early April. The horror stories 

https://www.outlookindia.com/website/story/india-news-90-year-old-kajodi-trudges-home-400-km-away-amid-coronavirus-lockdown/349525

Since the demons who rule over this living hell world are never going to do anything for the global poor other than continue to force them to take the brunt of every major disaster and resource shortage I think it's pretty hard to continue to defend dubiously effective indefinite or weeks-long temporary lockdowns to prevent the spread of a virus that kills less than 1% of those infected when you factor in the devastation and chaos that the mass shuttering response is causing in the lives of so many more. We should theoretically be able to keep the elderly and vulnerable safe to drive that infection fatality rate number down way further, without a prolonged shutdown that could ruin hundreds of millions of lives for generations in our global capitalism hellscape terrarium being necessary. What do youse guys think?

4 minutes ago, Nablotson said:

The global billionaire class needs the global middle classes to die propping them up in order to save the global lower class from further exploitation from the global billionaire class.

5 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Pretty much. So with that in mind what do you think about my assessment of the cost/benefit analysis assoc. with the pseudo-"lockdown" prescription that's en vogue? Is all the misery that's being inflicted on the most immiserated as a direct result worth the supposed trade-off of lives we likely could've saved anyway without shutting things down for a few weeks/months in any given part of the world? By deploying targeted policies for and diverting resources to the most vulnerable people and places, etc, and not just "paid time off for the middle classes, fuck the poor in the streets, no jobs or money or food or public transit for you anymore" mass shutdowns like we're seeing now from America to India to Brazil? Where anybody who isn't already set up and comfortable are thrown into the fire and the threat of the largely asymptomatic virus is the least of their material concerns?

Hey so I'm going to throw out some maths here, and I'm not the best at maths so there's that, buuuuut.....

So heart disease was the leading cause of death last year at 647,457 . So that's almost 54,000/month.

Covid has us up at 100,000+ at 5 months in. Average that out (I know it doesn't work that way but bear with me) gets you 20,000/month+ and growing.

So that's exciting.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/wireStory/ap-count-4300-virus-patients-ny-nursing-homes-70825470

Nationally, over 35,500 people have died from coronavirus outbreaks at nursing homes and long-term care facilities, about a third of the overall death toll, according to the AP's running tally.

Seems like a crisis of mismanagement, especially in the most densely populated part of our country which seems to have been far more susceptible to the airborne virus than places where people are able to walk outside their homes without immediately breathing in the exact same air as ten thousand other people in the last hour

5 minutes ago, Nablotson said:

Pretty much. So with that in mind what do you think about my assessment of the cost/benefit analysis assoc. with the pseudo-"lockdown" prescription that's en vogue? I think it's a false dichotomy, I believe there are immediate structural changes that are vital to the survival of both society and mankind in the short and long terms. I don't believe any of them will be implemented and we're headed towards the end of the Kalpa. Such is the path. Is all the misery that's being inflicted on the most immiserated as a direct result worth the supposed trade-off of lives we likely could've saved anyway without shutting things down for a few weeks/months in any given part of the world?  "Worth" is a question that has no bearing on this conversation. The misery will compound tenfold regardless. The poor will suffer regardless. It is a symptom of the reality we have constructed. The reason why vast majority of non-elderly covid deaths occur in disadvantaged populations is because they are already suffering. What sense does it make to add to their suffering by actively increasing their chances of getting sick due to a greater spread? By deploying targeted policies for and diverting resources to the most vulnerable people and places, etc, and not just "paid time off for the middle classes, fuck the poor in the streets, no jobs or money or food or public transit for you anymore" mass shutdowns like we're seeing now from America to India to Brazil? Agreed. Things need to be done that aren't being done because those in power have power. Where anybody who isn't already set up and comfortable are thrown into the fire and the threat of the largely asymptomatic virus is the least of their material concerns? What do you want to do? Apart from the common sense reforms that need to happen but will never happen without a complete overthrow of the global power structure (which is impossible because they own the means of speech), what do you want to do? Let the gates fly wide on open and pump up our 100,000+ rookie numbers? 

Have you cried over this?

Did you cry on 9/11, when one day's worth of american pandemic deaths were taken? America sure as fuck did. But look around you today. 

Nobody gives a fuck, yourself included.

And that shit drives me bonkers.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, avec said:

Does anyone have a reputable link on comparing coronavirus cases/deaths to flu cases/deaths worldwide?  

I strongly suspect that the numbers for this kind of comparison is not ever going to be reliable regardless of source. It has to do with reporting methodology and CDC death certificate guidance.

It has to do with the guidance issued for determining UCOD (underlying cause of death) specific to COVID-19. If COVID-19 can be tested for, and is the UCOD, meaning it is the principle triggering factor in mortality, then it is reported as such. If a test is not available, then "In cases where a definite diagnosis of COVID–19 cannot be made, but it is suspected or likely (e.g., the circumstances are compelling within a reasonable degree of certainty), it is acceptable to report COVID–19 on a death certificate as “probable” or “presumed.”". The issue here is that COVID-19 can present with the same symptoms as influenza, and in patients with underlying health factors such as COPD, diabetes, heart disease etc. can cause a similar death. Thus, absent a test, it cannot be 100% determined to be a COVID-19 UCOD. 

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, avec said:

Don't listen to ginguy. There is a number comparing the total death rate of the US to what the rate is expected to be at. That number is probably the best indicator of "how bad it is." But I gotta go pizza just got here so I'll find it later if no one finds it first.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Yea, thats sorta how this whole thing has gone though hasnt it? We just keep guessing what is going on because we dont know anything about the virus, then better research comes out that helps us understand it and deal with it. 

All we can do is check the new data when it happens. We still don't know for sure if people can get sick twice because there's conflict in reporting and questions about testing. And there's always the possibility that the antibodies aren't completely benign. They might end up being like chickenpox where you get chickenpox now supposedly as a one-shot deal but years later it could morph into shingles which is painful and reoccurring. That's what the child inflammatory syndrome reminds me of anyway - they have the antibodies which means they survived an infection and then all hell breaks loose. And it's hitting teenagers now. 

ND - 2365; 52 deaths. 

Because you used a cartoon meme people like jingo and bucket are gonna act like the information in it is wrong because they are dumb.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poof said:

Don't listen to ginguy. There is a number comparing the total death rate of the US to what the rate is expected to be at. That number is probably the best indicator of "how bad it is." But I gotta go pizza just got here so I'll find it later if no one finds it first.

Provisional death counts

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

This shows how many more deaths we have compared to the previous two year by week. So you can see the death rate was normal before coronavirus then jumped up to 120-130%.

It goes by death certificates, so until the death is processed, it won't show up. This makes it very accurate, yet very slow. It says most are counted in 2-3 weeks but can take 8 weeks or more for a death to be counted. Keep that in mind when you look at the numbers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

100,000 dead americans can't be wrong.

Dude, stop profiteering and fear mongering off the backs of dead people.

It's creepy and weird.

We all know you wish that number were 10x higher so you could crusade against the bad orange man even harder. 

Quit politicizing death, and stop trying to compare this virus to the Holocaust. 

It's beyond tasteless. 

• Like 1
  • D'oh 2

How is sponges profiting off of the people who died because of the coronavirus? Also, how is posting the number of people who have died fear mongering? Do you even know how words work?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SwimModSponges said:

Have you cried over this?

Did you cry on 9/11, when one day's worth of american pandemic deaths were taken? America sure as fuck did. But look around you today. 

Nobody gives a fuck, yourself included.

And that shit drives me bonkers.

Dude... seriously. 

This rhetoric is f**king creepy and disgusting. 

Especially this forced pivot towards "FEEL SUPER SAD! AND HARK! THE MAN WHO CAUSED ALL YOUR SADNESS..... ORANGE MAN!"

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 2

Guest Klobberin'_Time

I don't get what the point of making a new thread was, other than some sort of hollow cucked gesture on the part of the mods.

I feel there is some sort of parallel to our current situation and closing the other already ruined thread and opening this one up asap, hoping for different results.

1 minute ago, Klobberin'_Time said:

I don't get what the point of making a new thread was, other than some sort of hollow cucked gesture on the part of the mods.

Beat me to it

2 minutes ago, stilgar said:

How is sponges profiting off of the people who died because of the coronavirus? Also, how is posting the number of people who have died fear mongering? Do you even know how words work?

You know why what he's doing is disingenuous, weird and creepy because that's exactly how the mud-gear sludge-cogs whir and turn in your brain.

Quit using the deaths of people to go after those in the government that you don't like. 

Again, it's beyond tasteless.

• Thanks 1
  • D'oh 2

2 hours ago, Poof said:

Provisional death counts

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

This shows how many more deaths we have compared to the previous two year by week. So you can see the death rate was normal before coronavirus then jumped up to 120-130%.

It goes by death certificates, so until the death is processed, it won't show up. This makes it very accurate, yet very slow. It says most are counted in 2-3 weeks but can take 8 weeks or more for a death to be counted. Keep that in mind when you look at the numbers.

So... we're not even at double the national average? 

Funny I remember saying that weeks ago and getting crucified for not holding Trump accountable for every "preventable" death. 

If I can figure out how to vote twice this year, you can bet your ass I will. 

I would be having near constant panic attacks if some stumbling, malfunctioning corpse like Biden was up there overseeing this whole mess. 

Thank God for Donald Trump.

• Like 1
  • D'oh 2

13 minutes ago, Klobberin'_Time said:

Because they think we won't do the exact same thing in this thread that we did in the other for some dumb reason.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TrylSyz said:

You know why what he's doing is disingenuous, weird and creepy because that's exactly how the mud-gear sludge-cogs whir and turn in your brain.

Quit using the deaths of people to go after those in the government that you don't like. 

Again, it's beyond tasteless.

Why don't you try this post again but actually use words correctly so it doesn't sound like the rambling of a turd who parrots fascist talking points.

• Like 1

Whatever.

You'll can have your doom posting Corona thread. 

I promise I'll sit this one out, since I'm obviously the problem. 

🙄

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 2

1 hour ago, TrylSyz said:

So... we're not even at double the national average? 

Funny I remember saying that weeks ago and getting crucified for not holding Trump accountable for every "preventable" death. 

I would be having near constant panic attacks if some stumbling, malfunctioning corpse like Biden was up there overseeing this whole mess. 

Thank God for Donald Trump.

No we're not there. To get a 200% death rate it would take about 50,000 coronavirus deaths every week. Is that when it becomes too many?

Btw I don't think voting twice is a good idea.

According to the Florida Statues, fraud in connection with casting vote is considered any person perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate or aid in the perpetration of any fraud in connection with any vote cast, to be cast, or attempted to be cast, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

The criminal penalty for fraudulently voting when not legally qualified or for voting more than once when qualified is a fine of $300 to $500, one to two years in prison, and disenfranchisement.

• Thanks 1

Oh, good.

Maybe if I get disenfranchised I can stop being persecuted for all the white male privilege I supposedly have.

• Haha 1
  • D'oh 2

9 minutes ago, TrylSyz said:

Oh, good.

Maybe if I get disenfranchised I can stop being persecuted for all the white male privilege I supposedly have.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrylSyz said:

Hey, look at that, a conservative who supports voter fraud.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1