UnevenEdge

Crunchyroll brings FUNimation services under its banner, as Sony bets big on anime

Jman

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Heads up that anyone currently with a FUNI subscription will be getting a "Try Crunchyroll for 60 days free" email within the next few days.

Highly advise everyone cancel their FUNI subscription once they sign up (most likely scenario that FUNI's service ceases to exist by year's end).

Yeah, probably going to take the time to do this in the next week or two over a weekend once the email comes.

Gonna miss the Funi intro bumper, as a dub viewer they were bigger than CR lol, if they don't keep the name at least for home video.

I hope CR improves the visibility/browsing of dubs (and simuldubs, give us a specific airing simuldub section like on Funi too) and that eventually they incorporate how Funi would upgrade their streams to the improved home video versions once those were ready unlike CR. It was also cool being able to change between dub/sub while an ep was playing, it looks like they're still separate on CR. It'll be nice getting everything under one sub though it's gonna hurt a bit losing my discount from being grandfathered in to the cheaper price with Funi since I always went with them for the dubs over CR. And never had any of the supposed problems with Funi's app on my phone, TV, or console. Hopefully I have that luck with CRs set of apps.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

Great, gonna have fun dealing with their customer service about the yearly subscription I paid for in January. Two free months of CR premium ain't exactly an even trade on that one.

If it helps any, you aren’t the only one.  

17 minutes ago, Chapinator_X said:

They just need to get their shit together and start putting their shows on HBO Max again.

They haven’t twisted Crunchyrolls arm enough about giving them anything since Tokyo Revengers. 

I noticed the Crunchyroll hub on Max was replaced with Cartoonito.

9 hours ago, Ric said:

I noticed the Crunchyroll hub on Max was replaced with Cartoonito.

all the content got moved to a generic international animation section

10 hours ago, Chapinator_X said:

They just need to get their shit together and start putting their shows on HBO Max again.

They haven’t twisted Crunchyrolls arm enough about giving them anything since Tokyo Revengers. 

i don't think Sony has any interest in putting that content on hbomax

So, I missed this news and didn't hear about it until someone mentioned it in a Toonami thread, which I just saw tonight.

I saw the announcement video and read all the FAQs on both Funimation and Crunchyroll's sites.  And I've been reading comments on the announcement video and page.

They said that all Funimation content is being moved to Crunchyroll.  I'm not sure if that means whenever show gets put on Crunchyroll that it gets taken off Funimation.  

But someone mentioned in the YouTube comments that the FAQ said only 80% of the Funimation content can be moved to Crunchyroll due to licensing shenanigans.  I could not find this statement anywhere on either website's FAQs.  All it says is that they are moving shows to Crunchyroll every day as fast as they can.  I don't know if this person was wrong or possibly full of it, or if the language was changed so nobody would catch wise.  

If what this person says is true, then Crunchyroll has been dishonest in their marketing and all of Funimation's content WON'T be moving to Crunchroll (at least not any time soon,) and there's a good chance some shows you were planning to watch were included in that 20%.  20% of Funimation's entire catalog is no small amount to sneeze at.

Given that, I don't think it is a good idea to cancel my Funimation subscription just yet.  I don't feel like checking manually for each show to see if it has been moved to Crunchyroll, either.  Crunchyroll also said our que and watch history from Funimation won't move over to Crunchyroll right now, but they are "working on it."  I'll believe it when I see it.  I did a search of my emails and I did get the one that lets me have 2 free months of Crunchyroll subscription.  But given everything I said and the fact this offer is good until March 1st of next year, I think I might want to hold out as long as I can.  

I also JUST updated the payment info on that subscription after a card got compromised.  So annoying.  And since I have been a subscriber for so long, I got grandfathered in at the cheaper rate and didn't have to pay more when the subscription prices went up.  I'm not sure of how many companies are that generous. So when that 2 month free trial expires, I'll probably have to pay more on Crunchyroll than I am for Funimation.

Funimation has been around a lot longer than Crunchyroll.  There ain't any VHS tapes out there that say Crunchyroll on them.  Sony/Funimation are also the ones who bought Crunchyroll and not the other way around, so it is really odd that Funimation is the one being ABSORBED Cell or Buu-style and having its identity extinguished.  I had hoped the name would at least be kept for the company itself, if not the streaming service, but nope, that is being changed to Crunchyroll too.

I don't give a FLYING HORSE FUCK about the Crunchyroll brand, even if they have a cute mascot (who didn't exist from day one.)  From what I am aware of, Crunchyroll has little to no dubs and mostly caters to sub watchers.  So, I hope the number of dubs for shows won't decrease and I hope they at least keep the Funimation studio around (even if it is renamed,) to dub shows since apparently Crunchyroll doesn't even dub their own shows, what little they do dub.

And now I am seeing in the announcement page comments that some Crunchyroll shows are censored?!  What the FUCK?!  Is this the 1990s or early 2000s?!  This deal is getting worse all the time!  (Don't talk to me, Vader.)

Sad to see this happen to a Texas company.  They should have NEVER sold to Sony!  It makes me sick to my stomach.

On 3/1/2022 at 9:00 PM, EmpressAngel said:

Great, gonna have fun dealing with their customer service about the yearly subscription I paid for in January. Two free months of CR premium ain't exactly an even trade on that one.

https://help.crunchyroll.com/hc/en-us/articles/4582665443348-I-have-an-annual-Funimation-subscription-with-time-left-what-do-I-do-

Saw this about that on their website.  I'm on a monthly deal myself.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:32 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, probably going to take the time to do this in the next week or two over a weekend once the email comes.

Gonna miss the Funi intro bumper, as a dub viewer they were bigger than CR lol, if they don't keep the name at least for home video.

I hope CR improves the visibility/browsing of dubs (and simuldubs, give us a specific airing simuldub section like on Funi too) and that eventually they incorporate how Funi would upgrade their streams to the improved home video versions once those were ready unlike CR. It was also cool being able to change between dub/sub while an ep was playing, it looks like they're still separate on CR. It'll be nice getting everything under one sub though it's gonna hurt a bit losing my discount from being grandfathered in to the cheaper price with Funi since I always went with them for the dubs over CR. And never had any of the supposed problems with Funi's app on my phone, TV, or console. Hopefully I have that luck with CRs set of apps.

Is that what people were talking about with some of Crunchyroll's shows being censored?  Yeah it will be pretty lame if Crunchroll doesn't also start that policy then of upgrading shows to home video versions once they become available.

Anyway, if they were really doing this "for the fans," as they say, we wouldn't have to worry about canceling or setting up any new accounts.  We would be migrated over automatically, along with our queue and watch history.  All we should have to do is open the Funimation app and it updates to the Crunchyroll app.  And they would have waited until licensing deals would have allowed them to merge all the content properly.

I had no major issues that I can recall with the initial Funimation app,  which I used for years.  Then they changed it for no reason and it was buggy as hell.  But that version was replaced some time ago and the current one works decently enough.  But I am also seeing in that announcement page comments section that some people have a terrible time with the Crunchroll app, so I don't know what to think.  I'll probably be watching via my PS4 like I am now, so I hope the Crunchroll app on that platform is decent.

On 3/6/2022 at 5:23 AM, ben0119 said:

So, I missed this news and didn't hear about it until someone mentioned it in a Toonami thread, which I just saw tonight.

I saw the announcement video and read all the FAQs on both Funimation and Crunchyroll's sites.  And I've been reading comments on the announcement video and page.

They said that all Funimation content is being moved to Crunchyroll.  I'm not sure if that means whenever show gets put on Crunchyroll that it gets taken off Funimation.  

But someone mentioned in the YouTube comments that the FAQ said only 80% of the Funimation content can be moved to Crunchyroll due to licensing shenanigans.  I could not find this statement anywhere on either website's FAQs.  All it says is that they are moving shows to Crunchyroll every day as fast as they can.  I don't know if this person was wrong or possibly full of it, or if the language was changed so nobody would catch wise.  

If what this person says is true, then Crunchyroll has been dishonest in their marketing and all of Funimation's content WON'T be moving to Crunchroll (at least not any time soon,) and there's a good chance some shows you were planning to watch were included in that 20%.  20% of Funimation's entire catalog is no small amount to sneeze at.

Given that, I don't think it is a good idea to cancel my Funimation subscription just yet.  I don't feel like checking manually for each show to see if it has been moved to Crunchyroll, either.  Crunchyroll also said our que and watch history from Funimation won't move over to Crunchyroll right now, but they are "working on it."  I'll believe it when I see it.  I did a search of my emails and I did get the one that lets me have 2 free months of Crunchyroll subscription.  But given everything I said and the fact this offer is good until March 1st of next year, I think I might want to hold out as long as I can.  

I also JUST updated the payment info on that subscription after a card got compromised.  So annoying.  And since I have been a subscriber for so long, I got grandfathered in at the cheaper rate and didn't have to pay more when the subscription prices went up.  I'm not sure of how many companies are that generous. So when that 2 month free trial expires, I'll probably have to pay more on Crunchyroll than I am for Funimation.

Funimation has been around a lot longer than Crunchyroll.  There ain't any VHS tapes out there that say Crunchyroll on them.  Sony/Funimation are also the ones who bought Crunchyroll and not the other way around, so it is really odd that Funimation is the one being ABSORBED Cell or Buu-style and having its identity extinguished.  I had hoped the name would at least be kept for the company itself, if not the streaming service, but nope, that is being changed to Crunchyroll too.

I don't give a FLYING HORSE FUCK about the Crunchyroll brand, even if they have a cute mascot (who didn't exist from day one.)  From what I am aware of, Crunchyroll has little to no dubs and mostly caters to sub watchers.  So, I hope the number of dubs for shows won't decrease and I hope they at least keep the Funimation studio around (even if it is renamed,) to dub shows since apparently Crunchyroll doesn't even dub their own shows, what little they do dub.

And now I am seeing in the announcement page comments that some Crunchyroll shows are censored?!  What the FUCK?!  Is this the 1990s or early 2000s?!  This deal is getting worse all the time!  (Don't talk to me, Vader.)

Sad to see this happen to a Texas company.  They should have NEVER sold to Sony!  It makes me sick to my stomach.

Crunchyroll absorbed funimation because crunchyroll is more popular globally than funimation

funny when you remember that crunchyroll was initially a piracy site and now they are the kings of anime streaming

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 3:23 AM, ben0119 said:

It's not too strange for Funimation to be moved to CR rather than the reverse with VRV already being an amalgamation of different services.

At the moment I can confirm shows that move to CR are not being taken off Funi yet. There are several shows I know were only Funi that are now on both.

honestly even though nothing much will change with this....it still sucks because as someone who mostly watched dubs I Have more of an attachment to funimation than crunchyroll

The Various Funimation logos and credit jingles I'd see when watching a funimation blu-ray or seeing a funimation distributed series on toonami

I'll miss those because they were a big part of the anime industry in the united states and it feels weird for them to just become a smaller part of a larger company

again even though business will continue as usual with little to no changes for them

it'll be hard to get used to the funimation brand being a thing of the past

10 hours ago, Ric said:

They were adding Funimation stuff every week but it's two weeks now in April that there has been silence. If that's it, it was no where near all of Funi's content moving over.

Yeah i recall them making a big deal about how by the end of april they'd have it all transfered over to crunchyroll...