UnevenEdge

jason demarco comments on 1/8 schedule

CountFrylock

Maybe they'll finally reair season 3 part 2 of Attack On Titan, this time in a marathon from 12:30-5:30 AM?

In case things aren't quite back to normal, I guess they could then air quadruple AOT Final Season Part 1 at the end of the block for 4 weeks, leading into the premiere of Part 2 in February!

These words are not reassuring at all.

Toonami will be back EVENTUALLY but that doesn’t make the past few months any less frustrating.

And at this point it would probably be better to announce a couple of rerun filled weeks than to keep holding off on showing a schedule in hopes of something working out in time.

They are really banking on people tuning in no matter what they air if they are giving us a week or less notice of what will air on 1/8/2022.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Sketch said:

These words are not reassuring at all.

Toonami will be back EVENTUALLY but that doesn’t make the past few months any less frustrating.

And at this point it would probably be better to announce a couple of rerun filled weeks than to keep holding off on showing a schedule in hopes of something working out in time.

They are really banking on people tuning in no matter what they air if they are giving us a week or less notice of what will air on 1/8/2022.

what sucks is when i lament about this on the toonami discord I'm met with people saying

"It is a mix of things outside of their control. Just give them some
leeway and don't be soo uptight. It is unecessary stress on everyone for
no real good reason."

that i shouldn't care about when the schedule will come out or when new shows will arrive because they'll come when they come....however my patience at this point is long gone

i can only take so many stalling tactics and weeks of silence before i just stop giving a damn about toonami

i had a weekly routine going watching toonami with my mother and now...that all seems to be dead at this point

Edited by CountFrylock

My patience is also gone. I mean, I'm only interested in Blade Runner right now, and at least that's going to air week to week. But I wouldn't mind having something else to watch week to week, since I have the itch to get in the rhythm of the discussion around here and elsewhere. What is their problem if they seemingly can't get anything new? I'm amazed they've managed to fuck up this badly. Why not just to go Funimation, begging them for a good catalog title, then put that on along with reruns?

BTW, some of the other questions DeMarco answered weren't very promising either. He said they've yet to get the next season of YashaHime, which I was hoping was baked into the contract just for a tiny bit of stability. And there was another admission they might not get Demon Slayer S2, but at least I don't care about that one.

Edited by Blatch
  • Like 1

If they don’t even have YashaHime, then they need at least two shows immediately to even maintain 4 premieres.

What the frick is even happening? If they had shows fall through then they should still have the money they were going to spend on those.

Do they simply refuse to walk away from those suddenly complicated deals and use that money on other shows or are they waiting for the budget to reset so they can pay for those shows? (Perhaps pay more than they anticipated because Sony is playing hard ball)

So are they just being stubborn or do they literally have no money for anything till the budget resets? This is exasperating.

But bemoaning the point doesn’t accomplish anything. Whatever happens happens, when it happens. It’s trying our patience but bitching about it changes nothing and Toonami communities that are trying their darndest to stay positive don’t want to hear or read more venting about the situation. Nobody likes the situation. All we can do is wait it out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sketch said:

If they don’t even have YashaHime, then they need at least two shows immediately to even maintain 4 premieres.

What the frick is even happening? If they had shows fall through then they should still have the money they were going to spend on those.

Do they simply refuse to walk away from those suddenly complicated deals and use that money on other shows or are they waiting for the budget to reset so they can pay for those shows? (Perhaps pay more than they anticipated because Sony is playing hard ball)

So are they just being stubborn or do they literally have no money for anything till the budget resets? This is exasperating.

But bemoaning the point doesn’t accomplish anything. Whatever happens happens, when it happens. It’s trying our patience but bitching about it changes nothing and Toonami communities that are trying their darndest to stay positive don’t want to hear or read more venting about the situation. Nobody likes the situation. All we can do is wait it out.

how long are we expected to just sit patiently and wait though?

the longer it takes to put new shows on the block the easier it becomes for people to simply quit watching toonami entirely and never return

yes complaining doesn't change anything but at this point waiting it out isn't much better since Demarco sounds like they are basically holding out for a miracle and they have no idea what they are gonna do

19 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

how long are we expected to just sit patiently and wait though?

the longer it takes to put new shows on the block the easier it becomes for people to simply quit watching toonami entirely and never return

yes complaining doesn't change anything but at this point waiting it out isn't much better since Demarco sounds like they are basically holding out for a miracle and they have no idea what they are gonna do

Good thing people like us who are vocal about the block don't affect the ratings. It's all about those Nielsen diaries, baby. 😏

Personally, I'll wait however long it takes, since I've got important things to do around here. But if anyone else is so disgruntled that they stop watching the block altogether at least temporarily, I can't blame them.

5 minutes ago, Blatch said:

Good thing people like us who are vocal about the block don't affect the ratings. It's all about those Nielsen diaries, baby. 😏

Personally, I'll wait however long it takes, since I've got important things to do around here. But if anyone else is so disgruntled that they stop watching the block altogether at least temporarily, I can't blame them.

neither can i...like i said  i had a routine going watching it every week with my mother and now that's dead pretty much

she has no interest in having black runner black lotus shoved down her throat nor does she care about watching marathons

It could be worse.

It could be High Guardian Spice.

Demon Slayer's value has increased tenfold, there's a massive bidding war over Chainsaw Man, and Sony seems to like to play all sides (in case you're wondering, Cobra Kai is a Sony show and a huge hit for Netflix.)  So I can easily see DeMarco going on about how important traditional TV is and Sony going - 

johnny-lawrence-cobra-kai-quiet-cobra.gi

Edited by Jman

It's called having 4 companies taking charge of all media, and then increasing the cost of their output to the point only major streaming can afford it (assuming said creator don't have a service themselves).

Mark my words, expect all hot Funimation properties to be off limits.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Sad 1

I think the future of Toonami may be Warner Media licensing anime directly, like they did with the first season of JoJo. However, if it's popular enough, Netflix can still poach it from the shadows! At least they seem to be able to commission Bang Zoom to dub shows on their own that otherwise wouldn't have gotten any interest in a dub. Maybe that's the best way for Toonami to move forward? I can't believe even DISCOTEK doesn't want to work with them. A Black Rock Shooter dub on Toonami would make for a nice stopgap at least.

If Toonami ends up a block that only lasts for 2 hours weekly kinda like ol' TZGZ on Syfy, so be it. I guess we can at least count on Blade Runner and maybe Naruto Shippuden. Damn, can't believe they couldn't even lock down Yashahime Second Act! At least they're hopeful of that one though.

Edited by OwlChemist81

10 minutes ago, Nabreezy said:

10 Blade Runner: Black Lotus

10:30 JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

11 AEW Absolution

12 Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal

12:30 Lupin III

1 InuYasha

1:30 Cowboy Bebop

What, pick up the FIRST season!? Netflix has Stone Ocean, so that's not happening.

AEW Absolution would be a cool idea though! A TOONAMI-themed AEW show would be interesting. My idea is that it would be a recap show from AEW Dark Evolution and AEW Dark, but narrated by T.O.M. and S.A.R.A., and also include sneak peeks from upcoming Toonami shows, kinda like a cross between AEW and Toonami Pre-Flight.

If Toonami's strapped for content they might as well rerun PRIMAL after Fena ends or something. Maybe they'll even get to premiere Season 2...

Edited by OwlChemist81

12 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

What, pick up the FIRST season!? Netflix has Stone Ocean, so that's not happening.

Just whatever Jojo is available, permanent general Jojo slot. If it really is only that weird first season right now then use Mob Psycho reruns as a placeholder for the time being until there is a Golden Wind or a Morioh ready to air.

12 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

AEW Absolution would be a cool idea though! A TOONAMI-themed AEW show would be interesting. My idea is that it would be a recap show from AEW Dark Evolution and AEW Dark, but narrated by T.O.M. and S.A.R.A., 

I was thinking just a regular AEW show like Rampage, but with a few spots from TOM coming back from commercial breaks talking about the show and making wrestler name puns mainly. Maybe he can join the commentary booth for some matches, the Acclaimed can dis him in a rap etc but nothing too Toonami-y. Nothing from their terrible youtube shows needs to be recapped on actual television...

Also after Blade Runner is played out the 10pm slot will go to Kuroko's Basketball. Eventually replace Lupin with Daria. This really isn't that hard.

Edited by Nabreezy
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I think the future of Toonami may be Warner Media licensing anime directly, like they did with the first season of JoJo. However, if it's popular enough, Netflix can still poach it from the shadows! At least they seem to be able to commission Bang Zoom to dub shows on their own that otherwise wouldn't have gotten any interest in a dub. Maybe that's the best way for Toonami to move forward? I can't believe even DISCOTEK doesn't want to work with them. A Black Rock Shooter dub on Toonami would make for a nice stopgap at least.

If Toonami ends up a block that only lasts for 2 hours weekly kinda like ol' TZGZ on Syfy, so be it. I guess we can at least count on Blade Runner and maybe Naruto Shippuden. Damn, can't believe they couldn't even lock down Yashahime Second Act! At least they're hopeful of that one though.

Discotek generally does not obtain TV rights to anime. Toonami got Lupin through TMS but Discotek did serve as the middleman in those instances.

Surely they can get some shows from Sentai if FUNi, Aniplex and CR series are absolutely out of the question. But Sentai does have a bad habit of not picking up the dang phone.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

It's called having 4 companies using charge of all media, and then increasing the cost of their output to the point only major streaming can afford it (assuming said creator don't have a service themselves).

Mark my words, expect all hot Funimation properties to be off limits.

Remember when DeMarco said Toonami was useful to [as] because all the shows they could get were cheaper than any in-house production? Nowadays, if seemingly everything is too expensive for them, what's the point?

11 hours ago, Nabreezy said:

11 AEW Absolution

1 InuYasha

This actually isn't a bad schedule, but I would alter it. I doubt Netflix's contract allows for it, but I'd be down for a full rerun of JoJo's. I'd just swap it and Primal, or maybe Lupin if that show is new. Sentai does have the rights to Part 6 and is giving it a dub, so fingers crossed that it might show soon.

2 hours ago, Daos said:

Time to trot out the Media Blasters library. Its come to this.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/382/Futari_Ecchi

What about Girl's High? Anime fandom is in the market for a show dealing with female hygeine that isn't written by a pedo.

[content rating remakes coming soon-ish]

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Nabreezy said:

11 AEW Absolution

1 InuYasha

that's being a bit too pessimistic at this point.....I'm frustrated like everyone else but i don't think toonami's just gonna turn into reruns and wrestling...

Demarco did say hopefully things will normalize shortly afterwards....so perhaps they were working on getting some new shows to put on the block

but just couldn't finalize the deals in time for them to make it for 1/8

that's the only fan theory that makes sense....otherwise like i stated  why would they stay quiet about the 1/8 schedule for so long if they knew they had nothing to put on toonami?

• Like 1

Since I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, I think it's worth noting that the deal to spin off Warner Media to Discovery Inc was officially finalized recently which may account for schedule and acquisition difficulties. With things in the air, there would be any number of things that might have given companies pause to do any deals at this shaky time. Now that things are becoming more 'stable' per se, contracts should be more stable too.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

Since I didn't see this mentioned anywhere, I think it's worth noting that the deal to spin off Warner Media to Discovery Inc was officially finalized recently which may account for schedule and acquisition difficulties. With things in the air, there would be any number of things that might have given companies pause to do any deals at this shaky time. Now that things are becoming more 'stable' per se, contracts should be more stable too.  

doesn't mean demon slayer S2 will be on the block though that one seems to be locked away from toonami

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

doesn't mean demon slayer S2 will be on the block though that one seems to be locked away from toonami

No, some things may have gotten locked out while everything was being worked on - either the time frame expired for a good faith contract or popularity allowed for those with the 'fuck you' money to sniper things. 

It doesn't mean that it will never ever ever have a shot at being on [ as ] / Toonami [ see 'King of the Hill' and 'Futurama' for examples of lost property that eventually returned ]. It just means that not very likely for a good long time.

Personally, I don't care too much for streaming only places to lock down a series. Streaming is good for binges, cable is good for a scheduled break from reality. The two aren't necessarily competition when it comes to a program especially when the competition is a simple set block on Saturday nights. I'll binge something that isn't on Toonami but I tend to wait and watch the programs that are on Toonami as my scheduled break from reality / background noise to fall asleep to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

I thought Ass Class S2 was going to premiere on 1/8?

it is but as usual cable guides have place-holders for these kind of last minute decisions which is why we often see stuff like hours of american dad or hours of rick and morty instead of toonami on saturday night

when a schedule change is at the last minute

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Hey, that's actually a good point!

In other news, the DirecTV on-screen guide still lists American Dad from 10:30 PM-3 AM next week. They better fix that soon...

Little tip: do a reset of your box closer to Saturday and sometimes the guide will update 

• Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 1:31 PM, Blatch said:

This actually isn't a bad schedule, but I would alter it. I doubt Netflix's contract allows for it, but I'd be down for a full rerun of JoJo's. I'd just swap it and Primal, or maybe Lupin if that show is new.

Thanks I don't know why everyone is laughing at it, I would watch the hell out of that Toonami. Wouldn't be against getting a bunch of Case Closed either. 

There's supposed to be new Primals this year, put em on Toonami right after wrestling, good synergy there. Jim Ross during the main event telling the viewing audience that if they like the violence and carnage they're seeing to stay tuned for an all-new bone crunching episode of Primal is a strong lead-in.

If we even get wrestling on [as]. I seriously doubt they'll make that move in 2022, but it just makes all kinds of sense to me.

WCW and [as] were 2 ships passing in the night back in the day, with the former being bought out in March 2001, and the later debuting in September 2001. But with Turner's new wrestling darling AEW right smack dab in [as]'s target demographic, I suppose we'll see some synergy between the two at some point.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

On the other hand, a wrestling anime where every single fight is a questionably gay matchup between two muscley dudes? Now we're talking.

We have Hot Boy Basketball, Hot Boy Volleyball, Hot Boy Swimming, and Hot Boy Skateboarding already. Hot Boy Wrestling Anime just writes itself!

They had that already.

It was called 'JoJo's Bizarre Adventure'.

*rimshot

• Haha 3

Tiger Mask W kicked ass and I’ll just sit here stewing over the fact that the review of it Wrestling with Wregret put up was taken down.

And hey, AEW is popular.  It’s also cheap programming.  Of course, my suggestion was freaking Peacemaker so who am I to talk?