UnevenEdge

Jason Demarco started venting on twitter recently

CountFrylock

23 minutes ago, Jman said:

He's right that it's not his fault that Netflix got JoJo, and Eden's Zero, and all that other stuff.

I know he's probably praying Netflix doesn't win the bidding war for Chainsaw Man.

"Trying to be somewhat transparent about the inner workings of our tv block on here is not easy. I can’t be TOTALLY transparent, and that space between what I can say and what I can’t leaves a lot of room for misunderstanding and misinterpretation."

this quote is something that i think frustrates demarco a lot especially now because after the last couple of months....uncertainty regarding the new year is something toonami fans don't like

but all demarco can say is "stuff is coming we can't tell you what or when but stuff is coming"

With TV and cable being the court of last resort in an age of cord-cutting and streaming, I can see why he’d be upset. 

I imagine broadcasting rights become less certain when priorities are going to shift towards giving Netflix and CR access before a TV station.

A streaming platform where watching the latest anime is as simple as a click of a button will gather more attention to your property than the midnight hour of a cable channel. 

Toonami’s best workaround was creating/producing original shows themselves, but it likely won’t open any new doors for them to simulcast the next major shonen. 

demarco also confirmed that the money spent on The Original Shows are separate from the budget they have to spend on acquired shows for toonami

which is big news for a lot of fans as the assumption was that they came from the same pot but now that fan theory can labeled as debunked

Edited by CountFrylock

On 12/22/2021 at 10:11 AM, Chapinator_X said:

With TV and cable being the court of last resort in an age of cord-cutting and streaming, I can see why he’d be upset. 

I imagine broadcasting rights become less certain when priorities are going to shift towards giving Netflix and CR access before a TV station.

A streaming platform where watching the latest anime is as simple as a click of a button will gather more attention to your property than the midnight hour of a cable channel. 

Toonami’s best workaround was creating/producing original shows themselves, but it likely won’t open any new doors for them to simulcast the next major shonen. 

I don't know why they're still limiting themselves to TV broadcasts. They don't even have to make their own stuff, they have other avenues. Even then, they've already had collabs with Crunchyroll and only have the AS library on HBO Max. That's one of the biggest anime companies (owned by Sony) and Time Warner.

Air standard shows on TV, get uncut and exclusive strwaming rights via HBO.

Adult Swim is, and always will be, limited by the Cartoon Network banner, and Toonqmi is no different. Make a standard broadcast for the remwining cashcows and expand the audience with a combination of those big titles, in-house animation, and miscellaneous streaming rights. HBO has never been bigger and, unlike Crunchyroll and Cartoon Network, has a base not strictly dedicated to animation.

Fuck, do some anime collabs with HBO. They're both Warner-owned. We are Toonami Jetstream days, they have a popular streaming service.

Maybe it's that I've only thought about it for a few minutes, but I can't see a good reason why Toonami should be failing except the insistence on staying primarily cable oriented.

Edited by naraku360

19 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

demarco also confirmed that the money spent on The Original Shows are separate from the budget they have to spend on acquired shows for toonami

which is big news for a lot of fans as the assumption was that they came from the same pot but now that fan theory can labeled as debunked

He debunked the budget fan theory years ago at this point and multiple times within the past few years but it doesn't hurt to reiterate it since plenty of people still assume it all comes from the same pot.

What he said about his current level of transparency leading to misunderstanding... That's a good reason to simply not say anything. Basically anything he says will get spun as DeMarco saying "nothing is my fault, I tried the best I could" and people stopped buying that years ago if they ever bought it in the first place. Business IS complicated and he's gotten screwed out of deals several times for various reasons that were out of his control. I believe that much to be true. But as often as he throws his hands up publicly and bemoans how nothing is ever his fault, I can totally understand why more and more people think he's full of it.

• Like 1

What needs to happen is the law needs to change. An exclusivity contract should be bound to one type of medium and non-transferrable to any other, regardless of circumstances. No amount of "fuck you" money from a streaming service that has no equivalent on a different medium of communication should be able to keep someone in that medium from obtaining rights to something. In other words, a "have the potential to use it or lose it" law.

Yes, I realize under those circumstances, no TCP/IP medium such as adultswim.com would be allowed to stream JoJo, but that's a small price to pay. It would be bound only to Cable and Satellite under the Toonami aegis, where those annoying Netflix bastards dare not tread.

But then again, such a law just might end up with them setting up a Cable/Satellite equivalent and getting the last "fuck you." 

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • D'oh 1

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

He debunked the budget fan theory years ago at this point and multiple times within the past few years but it doesn't hurt to reiterate it since plenty of people still assume it all comes from the same pot.

What he said about his current level of transparency leading to misunderstanding... That's a good reason to simply not say anything. Basically anything he says will get spun as DeMarco saying "nothing is my fault, I tried the best I could" and people stopped buying that years ago if they ever bought it in the first place. Business IS complicated and he's gotten screwed out of deals several times for various reasons that were out of his control. I believe that much to be true. But as often as he throws his hands up publicly and bemoans how nothing is ever his fault, I can totally understand why more and more people think he's full of it.

if he didn't say anything at all then the reactions would be worse....with all the doubling up and random schedule changes we had the late half of this year

there would be a lot of confusion and fan theories running around....family guy's departure was too soon for it to put a stop to any new shows coming in for the rest of the year

however now that we do know that they don't really spend much on acquired content(like DBS)there's just more confusion now as the only two explanations are either every single show they wanted got an unexpected price hike or it was all funimation content and sony said "No"

On 12/24/2021 at 1:02 AM, OwlChemist81 said:

What needs to happen is the law needs to change. An exclusivity contract should be bound to one type of medium and non-transferrable to any other, regardless of circumstances. No amount of "fuck you" money from a streaming service that has no equivalent on a different medium of communication should be able to keep someone in that medium from obtaining rights to something. In other words, a "have the potential to use it or lose it" law.

Yes, I realize under those circumstances, no TCP/IP medium such as adultswim.com would be allowed to stream JoJo, but that's a small price to pay. It would be bound only to Cable and Satellite under the Toonami aegis, where those annoying Netflix bastards dare not tread.

But then again, such a law just might end up with them setting up a Cable/Satellite equivalent and getting the last "fuck you." 

You sound like a communist

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Wait... is it not good news that we're not getting more Jojo?

Considering Stone Ocean was in the top 10 of all programs on Netflix once it debuted, it’s more a damning indictment of Toonami’s place in modern anime viewing.

11 hours ago, rpgamer said:

And One Piece is supposed to be one of the most popular anime shows ever, look how that turned out.

Tanked on Toonami…somehow is getting a live-action trainwreck with a 1:1 scale Going Merry sitting in Cape Town, South Africa.

Granted, after the Bebop shitshow I have NO confidence in it, but the Pitch Meeting skit will be a riot.

On 12/28/2021 at 9:29 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

I feel we may be seeing "Clarknova2" sometime in the near future!

...damn, what a DICK move?

and....the thanos lewd pictures still remain

guessing demarco can post whatever he wants on twitter...even if it seems like that would get his account suspended