UnevenEdge

Grape Soda

GuyBeardmane

4 hours ago, Vamped said:

We don't fuck around with grape soda .... but that's because nobody can resist saying something petty when we catch you with it.

It's always like 

.... look at you playing into the stereotype 

Or 

Yes .... swallow it like the white man wants you to 

I feel like the old people got mad at us and stopped buying it at family gatherings XD

42 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Few understand

I honestly hate that.  It just sucks, right?  Like, I don't know where the stereotype came from, but I hate that it's a stereotype and that people can't just enjoy something without it being a problem.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vamped said:

We don't fuck around with grape soda .... but that's because nobody can resist saying something petty when we catch you with it.

It's always like 

Or 

I feel like the old people got mad at us and stopped buying it at family gatherings XD

I never heard that about grape.

19 minutes ago, Vamped said:

Well it's there 

I almost responded to that, but i feel like he's being disingenuous...its not as prominent as the fried chicken and watermelon bullshit, but it's not some obscure shit. 

I Pick my battles and i didnt think this was even worth the headache

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vamped said:

It's always like 

Or 

Luckily, my family gives zero fucks about food/drink shaming...unless you fuck up the food. You're getting joked on for two decades for that shit.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BlackNoir said:

I almost responded to that, but i feel like he's being disingenuous...its not as prominent as the fried chicken and watermelon bullshit, but it's not some obscure shit. 

I Pick my battles and i didnt think this was even worth the headache

Nope, not being "disingenuous", it just wasn't "grape" I heard it about, it was "orange" (from Central Illinois Farm kids in 7th grade). 

Either way, it's an insufferably stupid stereotype, but what do you expect from a town that had one Hispanic family, one Jewish family and no African Americans?

12 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Even I feel like I was dimly aware of the grape soda stereotype... maybe there's regional variants?

Or tsar's just finally going senile.

The ATHF episode where Shake gets bit by a radioactive black guy which turns him black features orange as the stereotype. Fyrlock injected the antidote into Shake's orange soda.

Though that is the only time I've heard of any soda other than grape being a stereotypically black thing.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GuyBeardmane said:

The closest that orange soda ever got to racial stereotype in my limited experience was that Kel loved it.  I never thought of it as racial, though, because I had gone on a year long kick where orange soda was all I drank.

Orange might have legit been a regional stereotype....I never heard it anywhere other than the deep south

• Like 1