UnevenEdge

Netflix is making a live action Yu Yu Hakusho. Because of course they are

Jman

I'm of the opinion that live action remakes of animated works (at least all the ones nowadays) attempt to de-legitimize the original work and make it acceptable for adults and other "mature" people to watch or enjoy it, effectively reinforcing the notion that all animation is for children.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that these things keep coming out at all.

Regardless, I'm not watching.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I'm of the opinion that live action remakes of animated works (at least all the ones nowadays) attempt to de-legitimize the original work and make it acceptable for adults and other "mature" people to watch or enjoy it, effectively reinforcing the notion that all animation is for children.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that these things keep coming out at all.

Regardless, I'm not watching.

Hey, man, Netflix did a great job with handling Death Note!

Spoiler

Jokes aside, they actually did a great job on Alice in Borderland. Somehow.

Spoiler

I swear they didn't pay me to promote Alice in Borderland. I'm just geeking out that I got a real adaption and one that didn't suck.

Spoiler

Maybe they should pay me, though.

28 minutes ago, elfie said:

Other than Death Note I cannot think of/remember a SINGLE Netflix live-action anime adaptation they came out with! And that's on top of all the other live-action anime adaptations Hollywood claims to be making!!! 9 times out of 10 they NEVER get made.

They released the Japanese Bleach movie, and just came out with Alice in Borderland, which seems pretty good one episode in.  It’s that their pipeline has numerous adaptations, namely Bebop, One Piece, and the rights to a LA Sword Art Online as well.

But yes, they never get made, thankfully.

Edited by Jman

5 hours ago, elfie said:

Other than Death Note I cannot think of/remember a SINGLE Netflix live-action anime adaptation they came out with! And that's on top of all the other live-action anime adaptations Hollywood claims to be making!!! 9 times out of 10 they NEVER get made.

I'm going to keep saying it until my whining gets noticed:

I fucking loved this adaption.

Edited by naraku360
  • Like 1

How it all comes out depends on what kind of production it is. If it’s a Japanese adaptation, it’ll be cosplayers throwing CGI at each other while Original Character Taro Yamada gets roped into the overarching story to protect town & country from spirits. 

If it’s a Western production, that sucker is either headed to development hell or will barely resemble the source material. It’ll be about Joseph Uramesh shooting ghosts with a BFG in Not-Vancouver.

Edited by Jiro_Dreams
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Honestly I'd pay for that last one. 

That would have been Sword Art Online if CW had gotten it.  Instead, a Netflix got it, pledged to cast Asian actors, and all the studios said no, banishing it to Development Hell.  Carl and Alice would have been funny to watch.

Edited by Jman

14 minutes ago, Jman said:

That would have been Sword Art Online if CW had gotten it.  Instead, a Netflix got it, pledged to cast Asian actors, and all the studios said no, banishing it to Development Hell.  Carl and Alice would have been funny to watch.

Man, the CW’s Sword Art Online. The only online deathmatch where the bloodpumping music is written and/or produced by Ryan Tedder and Jack Antonoff. 

5 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Of course CW would get SAO. Fucking thing's Shipping: The Animated Series.

You can't 2.5 years worth of semen glopping on The CW tho.

They didn’t.  Netflix did, then promptly buried it.

But I really wanted them to.

On 12/18/2020 at 12:10 PM, Jman said:

I guess studios didn't wanna make a live action series with graphic rape scenes every 3 episodes....gee wonder why not

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2020 at 10:43 PM, Cidz said:

Ok but like do they keep choosing these actiony animes that wouldnt translate well to live action? When theres soooo many great slice of life animes that would? 

But i might watch an ep for lolz. 

Name value.  That and getting a sitcom/SOL premise launched is way easier.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

First promotional images as the cast is set to be revealed over the next few days.  Given Netflix and live action anime go together like showers and car batteries though, especially after the Bebop fiasco, no one is happy.

You say that like live-action anime is poison regardless of the country making it. LA Bebop was an American effort, while LA Hakusho is clearly Japanese. In that case, it's a split decision where it could either end up as good as Alice in Borderland or as bad as LA Mob Psycho 100.

50 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

You say that like live-action anime is poison regardless of the country making it. LA Bebop was an American effort, while LA Hakusho is clearly Japanese. In that case, it's a split decision where it could either end up as good as Alice in Borderland or as bad as LA Mob Psycho 100.

As much as I like Alice in Borderland, I will always be weary of these adaptations, especially Yu Yu Hakusho, which despite attempts at commentary through its arc, is still unabashedly shounen.  

Bebop’s a dead horse but Netflix REALLY wants its anime adaptations to be the new comic book adaptation since we have all but exhausted the comic book well.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

As much as I like Alice in Borderland, I will always be weary of these adaptations, especially Yu Yu Hakusho, which despite attempts at commentary through its arc, is still unabashedly shounen.  

Bebop’s a dead horse but Netflix REALLY wants its anime adaptations to be the new comic book adaptation since we have all but exhausted the comic book well.

Doesn't help that the Alice in Borderlands manga is leagues above the live action.

On 7/16/2022 at 11:15 AM, naraku360 said:

Doesn't help that the Alice in Borderlands manga is leagues above the live action.

You know Borderland and Yu Yu have the same production company?  Apparently Yu Yu’s director worked on Borderland with Shinsuke Sato (who last I checked was tapped to make a MHA film for Legendary).