bnmjy

What series should I read next?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What series should I read next?

• Lord of the Rings
    • Hunger Games
    • Girl with Dragon Tattoo
    • A Song of Ice and Fire

I'm currently reading Harry Potter for like the fifth time. Judge me, but it's one of my favorites, as I grew up reading the books. It just bringa back so many old memories.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through Harry Potter now. Help me decide what to read next, or make a new suggestion.

3 minutes ago, NaBarney said:

LotR. You can fall into the world and waste a lot of time looking at maps and reading the wiki of the history of the first and second ages when you aren't reading.

My real vote though is the Redwall series

I was thinking LotR too, it being fantasy like Harry Potter. I read The Hobbit years ago, but never got around to reading the others. I already know much about the lore too.

As for Redwall . . . um, I think I'll pass.

I go with the Lord of the Rings I heard a lot of good things about a lot of my friends tell me I should read it myself but I'm waiting for a for a time I can do it for my YouTube show but hey whatever I hear I hear it's great though me and the fellows weren't too bad also if I remember correctly

I voted Dragon Tattoo and I want to say I hated the LOTR movies and I heard Tolkien was preachy.

For something different the Foundation series by Asimov is pretty good. This dude invents a science called psychohistory that lets him predict broad strokes of sociological movement, and he predicts the collapse of the galactic federation or whatever it was. But he also sees a way to avoid it on a hail mary with a small investment, so they take the shot. At every crisis point he predicts the people on Terminus (pretty sure that's the planet) are alerted after it passes and a hologram is played of him explaining the crisis he predicted and gives the best advice forward he believes is allowed. Or maybe no advice, the holograms might just be there to put them on the correct path.

Anyway, fun series. The last two books were written twenty years after the first three, and they include some lore from his universe. It's cool to see the difference in writing style because he was just beginning with that series and seeing the change in writing style is pretty interesting. He has some really cool stories out there. 

24 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

I voted Dragon Tattoo and I want to say I hated the LOTR movies and I heard Tolkien was preachy.

For something different the Foundation series by Asimov is pretty good. This dude invents a science called psychohistory that lets him predict broad strokes of sociological movement, and he predicts the collapse of the galactic federation or whatever it was. But he also sees a way to avoid it on a hail mary with a small investment, so they take the shot. At every crisis point he predicts the people on Terminus (pretty sure that's the planet) are alerted after it passes and a hologram is played of him explaining the crisis he predicted and gives the best advice forward he believes is allowed. Or maybe no advice, the holograms might just be there to put them on the correct path.

Anyway, fun series. The last two books were written twenty years after the first three, and they include some lore from his universe. It's cool to see the difference in writing style because he was just beginning with that series and seeing the change in writing style is pretty interesting. He has some really cool stories out there. 

I might give that a shot. I know about Asimov and his laws of robots. Not really in the mood for scifi at the moment though, but that will probably change in the near future.

23 minutes ago, Mortir said:

Probably just skip THG and just watch the movies. Same goes for Twilight.

I already watched The Hunger Games and read the first book. I want to give reading the series a try.

As for Twilight, New Moon pissed me off so much to the point I never bothered with the rest of the series. Bella is just so fucking boring.

9 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I might give that a shot. I know about Asimov and his laws of robots. Not really in the mood for scifi at the moment though, but that will probably change in the near future.

I have this strange habit of reading the first and third installments of William Gibson's trilogies without paying attention. I love science fiction though, Philip K Dick and Aurthur C. Clarke were great. I kind of want to read the 2001 series again now because the journey of starchild is wild.

12 hours ago, NaBarney said:

LotR. You can fall into the world and waste a lot of time looking at maps and reading the wiki of the history of the first and second ages when you aren't reading.

My real vote though is the Redwall series

Redwall is excellent. 

@bnmjy

Are The Chronicles of Amber still in print? As I recall, that was pretty good. Also, have you read the complete Hitchhiker's trilogy? 

Edited by mthor

43 minutes ago, mthor said:

Redwall is excellent. 

@bnmjy

Are The Chronicles of Amber still in print? As I recall, that was pretty good. Also, have you read the complete Hitchhiker's trilogy? 

I have the Hitchhiker series, but never got to reading it. It might be my next choice when I'm in the mood for scifi.

10 hours ago, stilgar said:

The Dresden Files.

Another one I've been meaning to get to.

10 hours ago, Poof said:

The Art Trilogy

Eh, not a Clive Barker fan.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Poof said:

Explain >:(

I've got a funny story about reading Clive Barker....

During my senior year of high school, one guy in my class liked to do his book reports on horror and stuff like that. I was getting sick of raiding my dad's bookshelves for reading material, because, although I found a good amount of stuff I liked, I ran out of things that looked appealing to me. Wanting to try something different I go to the book store and try some things I never read before, including fantasy and horror. I came in knowing literally nothing about the horror genre other than Stephen King is the most famous horror author. I didn't get any Stephen King because I felt I probably wasn't ready. I picked up Books of Blood by Clive Barker because I liked the title of the book, not knowing who the hell Clive Barker is. 

Now, one of the rules of that class was you can't do reports on anthologies, the book has to be one continuous story. I didn't realize Books of Blood was an anthology made of of several (short?) stories. When I got to the second "book" which I thought was the second chapter, all the characters and setting from the first "chapter" were completely replaced in the second chapter. That didn't tip me off, because the author of Beast (also the author of Jaws, but I never read Jaws) as well as Michael Crichton wrote introductory chapters where all the characters and settings would be completely done away with starting with the second chapter. 

So in Books of Blood, when I got to the third chapter, and all the characters and setting and plot were once again replaced completely, that's when I figured out this was an anthology. But it was too late for me to pick another book, I'd never finish a long enough book in time to do my report by the due date. 

So when I do the report, I just mention my favorite "book," one where a dude is held captive and completely emotionally tortured and driven completely insane by this other dude. The dude that becomes insane makes best "friends" with an axe and kills his torturer with glee with said axe, not really realizing the gravity of the situation, in his mind he was just having tons of fun with his new best friend, the axe. So I talk about that in front of the class.

What my teacher would do, to make sure we read the whole book and weren't faking shit, she'd flip to a page of our book and ask a question about it. Unfortunately, she asked something specific about a different "book" so I had to come clean and tell her the book was an anthology and i explained I didn't realize it until it was too late to start another book due to what I read with Beast and Michael Crichton books. So she understood and said if I can answer the question, she will give me full points. But boy, did she ever pick the WRONG question for me to answer in front of the whole class. I can't remember what the question was, but I sure as fuck remember what the honest to god answer was:

He and she have sex and her monster vagina completely swallows him up and he dies happily in ecstasy. 

So that being the answer, I told her I can't say in front of the class, and so of course accusations of cheating are being thrown around. She asked me why I can't say and I said it's very inappropriate for class (remember, this was high school, not college). So I showed her in the book where the passage was, and she said something to the effect of "Oh. Well, that's not very surprising for Clive Barker." And she said good job and the next person to come up. My classmates were not happy I did not answer the question aloud and assumed she was letting me cheat. Some students however, I think knew I was telling the teacher the truth and just wanted to know what was so dirty that I couldn't say in class so I told some of them at break about the dude being happily eaten by his wife's monster vagina.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I've got a funny story about reading Clive Barker....

During my senior year of high school, one guy in my class liked to do his book reports on horror and stuff like that. I was getting sick of raiding my dad's bookshelves for reading material, because, although I found a good amount of stuff I liked, I ran out of things that looked appealing to me. Wanting to try something different I go to the book store and try some things I never read before, including fantasy and horror. I came in knowing literally nothing about the horror genre other than Stephen King is the most famous horror author. I didn't get any Stephen King because I felt I probably wasn't ready. I picked up Books of Blood by Clive Barker because I liked the title of the book, not knowing who the hell Clive Barker is. 

Now, one of the rules of that class was you can't do reports on anthologies, the book has to be one continuous story. I didn't realize Books of Blood was an anthology made of of several (short?) stories. When I got to the second "book" which I thought was the second chapter, all the characters and setting from the first "chapter" were completely replaced in the second chapter. That didn't tip me off, because the author of Beast (also the author of Jaws, but I never read Jaws) as well as Michael Crichton wrote introductory chapters where all the characters and settings would be completely done away with starting with the second chapter. 

So in Books of Blood, when I got to the third chapter, and all the characters and setting and plot were once again replaced completely, that's when I figured out this was an anthology. But it was too late for me to pick another book, I'd never finish a long enough book in time to do my report by the due date. 

So when I do the report, I just mention my favorite "book," one where a dude is held captive and completely emotionally tortured and driven completely insane by this other dude. The dude that becomes insane makes best "friends" with an axe and kills his torturer with glee with said axe, not really realizing the gravity of the situation, in his mind he was just having tons of fun with his new best friend, the axe. So I talk about that in front of the class.

What my teacher would do, to make sure we read the whole book and weren't faking shit, she'd flip to a page of our book and ask a question about it. Unfortunately, she asked something specific about a different "book" so I had to come clean and tell her the book was an anthology and i explained I didn't realize it until it was too late to start another book due to what I read with Beast and Michael Crichton books. So she understood and said if I can answer the question, she will give me full points. But boy, did she ever pick the WRONG question for me to answer in front of the whole class. I can't remember what the question was, but I sure as fuck remember what the honest to god answer was:

He and she have sex and her monster vagina completely swallows him up and he dies happily in ecstasy. 

So that being the answer, I told her I can't say in front of the class, and so of course accusations of cheating are being thrown around. She asked me why I can't say and I said it's very inappropriate for class (remember, this was high school, not college). So I showed her in the book where the passage was, and she said something to the effect of "Oh. Well, that's not very surprising for Clive Barker." And she said good job and the next person to come up. My classmates were not happy I did not answer the question aloud and assumed she was letting me cheat. Some students however, I think knew I was telling the teacher the truth and just wanted to know what was so dirty that I couldn't say in class so I told some of them at break about the dude being happily eaten by his wife's monster vagina.

You shouldve just said in front of the class tho that wouldve been great

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Poof said:

You shouldve just said in front of the class tho that wouldve been great

If my back was against the wall with my teacher threatening to give me a 0 I probably would have. But to avoid that that's exactly why I turned to the page myself and pointed at the passage with my finger while holding the book up to her, lol.

You may not want to read this next but if you like magic and fantasy, I'd throw out a recommendation for a series called Shades of Magic. It starts with A Darker Shade of Magic. It is by V.E. Schwab. I really enjoyed it. It takes place in 4 different Londons. Grey which has no magic, red which has plentiful magic, white which has magic but it is harsh and not plentiful and those that do, use it to rule those that don't and constantly usurp rulers and black London where magic went rampant and everything was destroyed. People have different abilities like the ability to control fire or water or air but a few people can do all and can control people. They are also the only ones that can go between the different realms. Overall it was a pretty entertaining series. I'd recommend checking it out some time. I actually discovered it when I started working at the library and I actually like most of her stuff I've read.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DBZ4ever said:

You may not want to read this next but if you like magic and fantasy, I'd throw out a recommendation for a series called Shades of Magic. It starts with A Darker Shade of Magic. It is by V.E. Schwab. I really enjoyed it. It takes place in 4 different Londons. Grey which has no magic, red which has plentiful magic, white which has magic but it is harsh and not plentiful and those that do, use it to rule those that don't and constantly usurp rulers and black London where magic went rampant and everything was destroyed. People have different abilities like the ability to control fire or water or air but a few people can do all and can control people. They are also the only ones that can go between the different realms. Overall it was a pretty entertaining series. I'd recommend checking it out some time. I actually discovered it when I started working at the library and I actually like most of her stuff I've read.

I've heard good things about it too and will start the series in a couple weeks once I can take a break, so seconding this.

5 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

I seem to be a slightly fast reader. Kindle tells you how much time you will finish a chapter and the whole book. Order of the Phoenix takes the average person approximately 16 hours to read, but I'm projected to take 12.5 hours.

That is just them stroking your ego.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading the Harry Potter series, including The Cursed Child. 3 weeks, a new record for me.

Anyway, taking a break from fantasy for now. I'm reading Jurassic Park, as I heard it's very different from the movies. Next, I will read LotR.

On 11/26/2020 at 2:54 PM, tsar4 said:

LotR, but you must follow it immediately with Harvard Lampoon's "Bored of the Rings".

So much this ( I don't know, though - my kids miss a lot of the jokes because the ads are so out-dated)