UnevenEdge

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and 2 Discussion

3ngag3

8 minutes ago, Daos said:

There's a ton of really great DC animated movies to air, and Demarco gets possible the worst two.

And I really hate the character design for the Dark Knight Returns. Why is everyone a 300 lb behemoth with heads that look like they're suffering from giantism? 

You say that when there’s an adaptation of the Killing Joke that added a completely pointless Batman and Barbara Gordon sex scene.  Or the ridiculous attempts to make Damien Wayne and Raven a thing.

Miller’s heavy, bulky designs aside, this is a great story at its core.  It’s the story of someone beaten down by his life finding new motivation to continue helping people.

• Like 2

Just now, Daos said:

There's a ton of really great DC animated movies to air, and Demarco gets possible the worst two.

And I really hate the character design for the Dark Knight Returns. Why is everyone a 300 lb behemoth with heads that look like they're suffering from giantism? 

Backstory time and we start with the Comics Code Authority. This was put in place during the moral panic in the 50s of comics corrupting the minds of the youth. Horror comics like Tales form the Crypt, Vault of fear etc were the main targets, but it affected all comics. Batman could no longer use a gun like he did in his early comics, also he had to stop murdering people which was one of batmans favorite things to do in the early issues. He even killed the joker in their first issue together. That big penny that he keeps in his batcave that they say belonged to Two Face really was the Penny Plunderer's. PP only steals pennies which were worth more back then I guess, but he gets crushed by that giant penny when batman and twoface are fighting and destroy the supports. 

Detective405-07.jpg

Either way batman is made into a bitchboy over the years. The Adam West Series furthers the dumbed down public image of comics being for young children. 

Jumping ship the president asks Stan Lee of Marvel to make an Anti-Drug comic using one of his characters. Stan is not one to turn down the president, so he does a story about the dangers of drugs and submits it to the CCA. The CCA tells him no, they will not give this smut their seal because drugs are against the CCA. Stan tells them that it's anti-drugs it's telling kids the dangers of doing drugs. No it doesn't matter we have our rules in black and white no drugs. So Stan says fuck it this story needs to be read and is the first person to publish a comic without the CCA since it started. Nothing happened...No shops refused to sell his comic, no riots, no fines. They discovered that the CCA was simply an honers system with no real authority despite their name. Despite this Stan and others the continued following the CCA submissions gudelines for years after. As to how irrelevant the CCA was; they actually survived up till 2011.  

Back to batman.Frank Miller hated how watered down his favorite cape shit had become; especially how he said that it made batman and robin look like gay lovers that shared the same bed. 
batman-and-robin-misconstrued.jpg?w=584

So Miller says fuck it I'm making a comic as if batman just retired and those years he spent sharing a bed with the boy wonder and adam west never happened. He was retired and now he's back and pissed like a father coming home from a hard day of work and seeing his kids didn't save him the big piece of chicken. The reason why robin had to be a girl was entirely to make the duo less gay. The creeper implications of a 55 year old mountain of a man and his young female ward raise other flags but maybe they were going for a father daughter thing. At least they slept in separate beds....Millers other inspiration was Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. The comic was more a middle finger to the CCA and all Batman comics that bent knee to them. So he made this overly aggressive batman macho; out of brooding spite. 

44 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Backstory time and we start with the Comics Code Authority. This was put in place during the moral panic in the 50s of comics corrupting the minds of the youth. Horror comics like Tales form the Crypt, Vault of fear etc were the main targets, but it affected all comics. Batman could no longer use a gun like he did in his early comics, also he had to stop murdering people which was one of batmans favorite things to do in the early issues. He even killed the joker in their first issue together. That big penny that he keeps in his batcave that they say belonged to Two Face really was the Penny Plunderer's. PP only steals pennies which were worth more back then I guess, but he gets crushed by that giant penny when batman and twoface are fighting and destroy the supports. 

Detective405-07.jpg

Either way batman is made into a bitchboy over the years. The Adam West Series furthers the dumbed down public image of comics being for young children. 

Jumping ship the president asks Stan Lee of Marvel to make an Anti-Drug comic using one of his characters. Stan is not one to turn down the president, so he does a story about the dangers of drugs and submits it to the CCA. The CCA tells him no, they will not give this smut their seal because drugs are against the CCA. Stan tells them that it's anti-drugs it's telling kids the dangers of doing drugs. No it doesn't matter we have our rules in black and white no drugs. So Stan says fuck it this story needs to be read and is the first person to publish a comic without the CCA since it started. Nothing happened...No shops refused to sell his comic, no riots, no fines. They discovered that the CCA was simply an honers system with no real authority despite their name. Despite this Stan and others the continued following the CCA submissions gudelines for years after. As to how irrelevant the CCA was; they actually survived up till 2011.  

Back to batman.Frank Miller hated how watered down his favorite cape shit had become; especially how he said that it made batman and robin look like gay lovers that shared the same bed. 
batman-and-robin-misconstrued.jpg?w=584

So Miller says fuck it I'm making a comic as if batman just retired and those years he spent sharing a bed with the boy wonder and adam west never happened. He was retired and now he's back and pissed like a father coming home from a hard day of work and seeing his kids didn't save him the big piece of chicken. The reason why robin had to be a girl was entirely to make the duo less gay. The creeper implications of a 55 year old mountain of a man and his young female ward raise other flags but maybe they were going for a father daughter thing. At least they slept in separate beds....Millers other inspiration was Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry. The comic was more a middle finger to the CCA and all Batman comics that bent knee to them. So he made this overly aggressive batman macho; out of brooding spite. 

This is why The Dark Knight Returns is remembered as one of the biggest influences to the Batman fans and artists, and why it's assigned reading in some colleges. It made Batman dark again.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, elfie said:

Oh my god. DC Fandome is now paying Youtubers to plug them in their videos.

THEY ARE SERIOUS.

Eh, I’m sure firing a few more people from the comic division will cover the costs.

• Confused 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, elfie said:

Oh my god. DC Fandome is now paying Youtubers to plug them in their videos.

THEY ARE SERIOUS.

as someone who still actively watches youtube...all youtube is now is paid sponsorships and pro-trump Propoganda >_>

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, mochi said:

as someone who still actively watches youtube...all youtube is now is paid sponsorships and pro-trump Propoganda >_>

I don't see YouTube as being NOTHING but pro-trump propaganda; lord knows some of the ads are though. Like that damn Chinese propaganda Epoch Times!

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I don't see YouTube as being NOTHING but pro-trump propaganda; lord knows some of the ads are though. Like that damn Chinese propaganda Epoch Times!

Well there's a good way to change that. Don't click on those videos so Youtube doesn't recommend you more based on the keywords, and use the settings to see particular things.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, Jman said:

You say that when there’s an adaptation of the Killing Joke that added a completely pointless Batman and Barbara Gordon sex scene.  Or the ridiculous attempts to make Damien Wayne and Raven a thing.

Miller’s heavy, bulky designs aside, this is a great story at its core.  It’s the story of someone beaten down by his life finding new motivation to continue helping people.

hey! the damien thing is just them trying to please us fans of robin/raven romance fanfictions.

( i hate beast boy so much)

• Like 1

Those are the same guys?  They don't even look like mutants anymore.  Was the gang just called that and weren't actually mutants except for the leader?  But how did HE become a mutant IF he was the only one?

Swastika tits?!  And they all look like Dolph Lundgren!

dolph-lundgren-rocky-iv-1985-2A86C79.jpg

1 minute ago, mochi said:

real talk why does superman always choose to destroy the train rather than get the person out of the way?

Superman grabs people out of the way of things too.  I guess it depends on what he can do faster, whatever will save the person.