UnevenEdge

How many of you support the industry?

Rumb0

I used to buy DVDs and merch, and had a CR subscription. It's been a while; some of it is cause I'm broke for the time being, and some of it is cause I don't have much I want to throw down on. I'd get more KLK DVD's if Aniplex wasn't the absolute worst. If they start releasing physical LWA or Osomatsu DVDs/merch to the states or if JoJo Part 4 gets a dub, then my wallet's in trouble.

Otherwise, I try to go for weeaboo video games or anime I find at the thrift store at the moment.

Edit: I've got Netflix/Amazon subscriptions if that counts.

I only watch Legal Streams or on TV and I buy the DVD's of shows I like

if an anime can't be watched via legal means I just won't watch it because my thirst for anime isn't that strong

I basically don't even watch anime unless Toonami picks them up

I have legal subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu, and occasionally purchase Chogokin models for my desk at work.  The last Blu-Ray I bought was the complete collection of Cowboy Bebop a few months back when Best Buy had a sale.

Subs to CR/FUNi (via VRV) and Amazon/Netflix, and got back into the habit of buying BDs and DVDs, books/manga less so. Haven't really bought any merch in a while, just haven't been that many figures I've seen where I think "I need to have that on my shelf."

I....uh, well I watch Toonami when by body lets me stay up that late. I do legal streams if I can, but to be honest, I like to keep up with Japan on my anime. So to do that I have to use some not so legal sites to watch.

I'm too poor to buy DVD's and all the stuffs. I hardly ever watch an anime more than once anymore anyways.

I....uh, well I watch Toonami when by body lets me stay up that late. I do legal streams if I can, but to be honest, I like to keep up with Japan on my anime. So to do that I have to use some not so legal sites to watch.

I'm too poor to buy DVD's and all the stuffs. I hardly ever watch an anime more than once anymore anyways.

Pretty much everything is on CR these days, besides a couple exclusives to Netflix or Amazon.

Pretty much a one year streaming subscription is the price of one series boxset. I wish they would start adding in blooper reels and other incentives to actually buy the blu-rays. I bought Sekirei recently just because it's going to no longer be in print and not be on funi's streaming service anymore.

Really though supporting western sales only helps the western market. The japanese creators and companies don't get money after the western company pays for the rights. From what I have read about manga sales is that world wide is a drop in the bucket, not even worth counting compared to japans sales.

Pretty much a one year streaming subscription is the price of one series boxset. I wish they would start adding in blooper reels and other incentives to actually buy the blu-rays. I bought Sekirei recently just because it's going to no longer be in print and not be on funi's streaming service anymore.

That's not really accurate, it adds up to a lot.

Read my post, a western distributor/streaming services revenue isn't shared with the animation studios or creators. The publisher gets it's chunk of flesh when a company like CR or Funimation buys the distribution rights to a series. The series may have a royalty fee, but that is rarely the case these days, but was common in the 90s. Today most series are bought on a lease agreement for a set period of time.  So if I buy 1000 anime tittles from Funimation 100% of that money is going to funimation. The producers, studios, and creators aren't going to see that money because the producer has already gotten their agreed upon amount. 

In a way you are supporting the Japanese industry vicariously. By supporting funimation/cr/etc they have more money to give to the Japanese market and acquisition newer shows. However you don't really get to pick where that money is going after the western distribution company has it. 

As for manga sales they are trash outside of Japan at peak year of manga sales in the US the largest it has come is 5% of the numbers that Japan gets.  Numbers are in Units sold in 2013.  That means on average it's less than 3% of what Japan makes from internal manga sales.

Fairy Tale

Japan 490,00

USA 2,700

One Piece

Japan 3, 100, 000

USA 5,200

Naruto

Japan 1,200,000

USA  18,000

Read my post, a western distributor/streaming services revenue isn't shared with the animation studios or creators. The publisher gets it's chunk of flesh when a company like CR or Funimation buys the distribution rights to a series. The series may have a royalty fee, but that is rarely the case these days, but was common in the 90s. Today most series are bought on a lease agreement for a set period of time.  So if I buy 1000 anime tittles from Funimation 100% of that money is going to funimation. The producers, studios, and creators aren't going to see that money because the producer has already gotten their agreed upon amount. 

I did, and it's not true. About half the revenue that CR gets goes back to the Japanese production committee, which may or may not include the animation studio (they usually just do work-for-hire), and this was covered in the Answerman article I linked.

Localization companies also pay a minimum guarantee, but that's not the only money that goes back to the Japanese companies for home video: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2016-06-15/.103224. In both cases, money for shows that are supported in the US do go back to the Japanese companies/original creators, based on how they're supported in the West. And that money is not an insignificant amount, even compared to the sales within Japan.

CAC[/member] I think the combo pack on VRV.co is a better deal. But if you're going to pirate, at least get downloads, don't use pirate streaming sites.

The western market can't make them the same money that the japanese otaku will pay.  In japan a boxset can run $180-$300 on average compared to our $49-$80 standard. Kara no Kyoukai has sold for $1,000 and Maison Ikkoku has sold for over $2,000. 

For an example Dragonball super raked in last week 1,233,000 viewers. (this isn't every single western fan just a sizable sample)

One 12 episode box set released at $180. I am pretty sure funimation is going to set this at $50, so the Japanese sale is 3.6x more expensive based on those figures of what funi has listed past anime at upon release. I believe in rounding up, so for every single copy sold in Japan the west would have to sell 4x that.  So if every single person viewing that night buys DBS upon release it would be like 308,250 Japanese buying a series. A more realistic number would probably be 30-40% of the viewers will actually buy the boxset. The more generous of those percentages would be the same as 123,300 units sold in japan. That is $6,165,000 gross western sales, according to your link there is a 30% royalty ( I have never heard of a royalty being that high it's usually 10-15%) which means they are getting $ 1,849,500 from the western market. If it were the more realistic royalty of 15% then it's just shy of a million dollars.

This is of course not counting the fee that is paid just to acquire a series. This varies series to series for example welcome to the NHK was licensed for $240,000 while Guyver cost shy of  $750,000.

Pretty much the money from the western release of a high profile anime barely covers the cost of a single season when Japan gets their cut. An that's high profile blockbuster anime sales for us. Less popular shows barely pay for the clubs they use to beat their animators with in comparison; let alone our horrible manga sales.

Sweet, give me your CR subscription then.

The FUNi/Crunchyroll subscription is literally $5 a month. I'm sure you can afford that. If you don't want to, that's another matter, but don't act like it's impossible for you to watch these series legally. There's never a good excuse to pirate anything.

But you can do it.

The FUNi/Crunchyroll subscription is literally $5 a month. I'm sure you can afford that. If you don't want to, that's another matter, but don't act like it's impossible for you to watch these series legally. There's never a good excuse to pirate anything.

But you can do it.

Ok Mr. Money bags, send me your money.

Its $5 a month. $5. You can't even afford that? How do you get through life? Begging others for change? Thats terrible.

Keep in mind that Crunchyroll also offers anime for free even on mobile devices I believe. You just have to watch ads. Not a bad deal at all if one cannot afford the money.

Keep in mind that Crunchyroll also offers anime for free even on mobile devices I believe. You just have to watch ads. Not a bad deal at all if one cannot afford the money.

Yup, I've used the free a bunch when what I want is available.

Its $5 a month. $5. You can't even afford that? How do you get through life? Begging others for change? Thats terrible.

yea dude. we know all about his financial responsibilities too.

how dare he not spend money on that new harem show.

I

- have a Crunchyroll subscription

- have a Funimation elite subscription

- buy DVDs only when its of a show I know I'll watch several times over, usually at cons, which reminds me....

- go to cons.  I only do that a few times a year, but I always talk to staff at the booths from the companies they represent

- go to forums like this one

- have a few anime merch

- make fanart and tell people what it's based on and where to find it

- watch Toonami

yea dude. we know all about his financial responsibilities too.

how dare he not spend money on that new harem show.

With budgets, especially considering rent and the like, monthly fees can be death by a thousand cuts.

• 2 weeks later...