UnevenEdge

Golden Wind dub on Toonami to be delayed several weeks due to COVID-19

3ngag3

I'm guessing they're fixing the alleged problems with Ray Chase's mic. Wouldn't want Bucciarati to sound off compared to the rest.

As for Ballmasterz, I'll allow it. But don't expect me to like it; I watched the first two episodes once and they just failed to appeal to me.

• Like 2

Why do I have a feeling JoJo is going going to end up replacing a hiatus-ing Black Clover at 1:30 AM to allow Clover to catch up with dubbing more episodes once My Hero Academia Season 4 ends?

Has FUNimation even announced how far BC has gotten? We half expected Episode #87 of MHA to release Sunday given how many episodes of it Toonami replayed, but I don't think it did. BC I believe managed to dub Page 125 last, but for some reason even home dubbing has gone on hiatus?

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Why do I have a feeling JoJo is going going to end up replacing a hiatus-ing Black Clover at 1:30 AM to allow Clover to catch up with dubbing more episodes once My Hero Academia Season 4 ends?

Has FUNimation even announced how far BC has gotten? We half expected Episode #87 of MHA to release Sunday given how many episodes of it Toonami replayed, but I don't think it did. BC I believe managed to dub Page 125 last, but for some reason even home dubbing has gone on hiatus?

I think they said they got up to Black Clover 124, which is currently the last ep they've got up.

At this point for hiatus stuff I'd like it if they would just put on some big classic anime they own instead of shoving in non-Toonami content, like Big O or GITS or even IGPX. Even though they've shown them a lot in the past this is a unique situation and as such it's been a decent amount of time and they're at least fun actual Toonami/AS Anime stuff.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Thanks 1

i really hope we don't have a situation later down the road where it's indefinite reruns and nothing else....sadly there's little evidence to think it won't come down to that

so i have to ask everyone here now....how positive do you feel about toonami for the rest of 2020 and making it into 2021? because this is staring to look pretty bleak

29 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Will you just shut the fuck up already? I'm willing to give you another fat waifu if that's what it'll take.

why are you throwing a tantrum just because I state the obvious?

I'm sick and tired of people downplaying this like it's only a short term thing and not what we'll be dealing with for the rest of the year....

covid-19 didn't magically vanish just because it isn't at the top of news headlines anymore

there's a difference between positivity and blind optimism

states reopened yes but that's all that happened...nothing more  the animation industry is still in an awkward spot

Edited by CountFrylock

Ballzmaster 9009 is dogshit.

But if that’s all they have, then Toonami is in the same situation as the rest of Adult Swim.  An Adult Swim losing Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers.  An Adult Swim with a small budget unless DeMarco gets on his knees and starts begging Crunchyroll for help, which he will not do.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jman said:

Ballzmaster 9009 is dogshit.

But if that’s all they have, then Toonami is in the same situation as the rest of Adult Swim.  An Adult Swim losing Family Guy and Bob’s Burgers.  An Adult Swim with a small budget unless DeMarco gets on his knees and starts begging Crunchyroll for help, which he will not do.

with this....I Have to say I'm Officially done with toonami  I Quit

I'm Done  until things return to normal  i refuse to stay up for reruns

i value my time too much to waste it on episodes I've already seen before...so late at night

• D'oh 4

Ballmasterz is legit though.

Unlike shows like Perfect Hair Forever or MachuPichu which seem to mock anime tropes (and Asian culture in general) Ballmasterz pays homage to them cleverly enough. Combine that with the goofy, over the top Superjail style violence and you got the makings of a pretty good show.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i value my time too much to waste it on episodes I've already seen before...so late at night

Well if that’s the case, fine.  No need getting a stroke over a block of second run cartoons given what is going on in the world.  Look, in a perfect world, DeMarco could good to Crunchyroll, get Shield Hero, Tower of God, or KonoSuba and call it a day.  But it’s not a perfect world.  He’s stuck with Stupid Balls Joke 9009.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Ballmasterz is legit though.

Unlike shows like Perfect Hair Forever or MachuPichu which seem to mock anime tropes (and Asian culture in general) Ballmasterz pays homage to them cleverly enough. Combine that with the goofy, over the top Superjail style violence and you got the makings of a pretty good show.

it just feels awkward since ballmasterz had already been airing shortly after toonami

so i have no idea why they thought that would be better than simply rerunning past jojo episodes(Something that never usually happens with Jojo)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

At least Black Clover is still worth it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

At least Black Clover is still worth it!

true but that's just one show...

only a matter of time until that's not even an option

(even when more dubbed episodes are made there's still that point where they'll reach the end due to the hiatus in Japan from covid-19)

Edited by CountFrylock

I got a stomach ache this evening for hours and it left me in bed so I couldn't be productive, and tHIS news drops randomly so I'll see how far I can type without keeling over.

.... we expected something like this to happen. But we didn't know when, and in what form. Golden Wind is one of the dubs being recorded at home, they're in the same exact situation as My Hero Academia. They just don't make a whole announcement out of it like Funimation does. So.  For one week at least, Black Clover is left as the only actually new dub on the block!  And even then, the Black Clover anime has been halted in Japan due to the virus too, so who knows when we'll hit that point?!  The last two episodes of My Hero Academia can't come soon enough.

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

i really hope we don't have a situation later down the road where it's indefinite reruns and nothing else....sadly there's little evidence to think it won't come down to that

so i have to ask everyone here now....how positive do you feel about toonami for the rest of 2020 and making it into 2021? because this is staring to look pretty bleak

They can rerun like very old anime they ran back in 2012 or 2014 or something, if they still have the rights, as they said. Hell, I'm surprised they didn't IMMEEEEEEEDIATELY go to Bebop!!! :D There are a ton of anime with dubs that Toonami has never aired, but that would require going to the long and complicated acquisition process, and their budget was slashed.

On the upside, I won't have to keep staying up late anymore!

Edited by elfie

29 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

Understandable. I may just stay for Paranoia Agent and call it a night.

31 minutes ago, Jman said:

Well if that’s the case, fine.  No need getting a stroke over a block of second run cartoons given what is going on in the world.  Look, in a perfect world, DeMarco could good to Crunchyroll, get Shield Hero, Tower of God, or KonoSuba and call it a day.  But it’s not a perfect world.  He’s stuck with Stupid Balls Joke 9009.

Shield Hero ain't even on HBO Max yet. Their initial selection of shows makes me feel if that's how they intend to curate for HBO Max, we're better off with DeMarco running Toonami.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

it just feels awkward since ballmasterz had already been airing shortly after toonami

so i have no idea why they thought that would be better than simply rerunning past jojo episodes(Something that never usually happens with Jojo)

It seems like they intend to only air Ballmastrz for 5 or so weeks, however long it takes for JoJo to return (it is being dubbed from home currently). By airing something so "non-committal" they can pull it whenever they need to. If they tried to say rerun the latest 5 JoJo and find out they can't resume after then they have another dilemma. BM buys them up to 10 weeks without repeating but gives them the flexibility to swap it out any time. Personally I think they should be running Primal but if Gennedy really doesn't want that on Toonami then that's not an option.

As for if there's any hope for Toonami getting something fresh in the near future, there's at least this:

They were not expecting to put JoJo on a break (maybe they should have been by now but I digress) but they do intend to air some already dubbed anime eventually. That at least gives me hope that something fresh is coming before the end of Summer. Maybe to replace MHA, maybe to replace Paranoia, maybe season 2 of Mob following season 1.

By all means, don't bother watching Toonami. At this point I only watch Paranoia Agent, MHA (when its new) and JoJo and now I'm down to 2 shows I care about maybe just 1 per week. So I don't go out of my way to watch live and don't expect you to either. I don't think any of us should "give up" on Toonami because I'm sure they're not just sitting on their laurels right now. We have no idea what it takes to get a show right now but they're at least looking into what they can get.

It may get worse before it gets better though. Black Clover is only 5 episodes behind FUNimation and they haven't released an episode in over a month despite dubbing one from home. So if JoJo is ready in 5 weeks it might end up replacing Clover while Ballmastrz sticks around for another 1-5 weeks.

Edited by Sketch
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

hopefully something fresh is coming in the near future because I'm tired of toonami news just being this depressing

i don't wanna think about what' will happen if ballMasterz(S1 Rerun)concludes and Jojo Still needs more time for dubbing

5 weeks is the minimum but it could take longer than that and that's the part i don't like

the black clover situation makes this even more depressing and makes me wonder if there's any way to salvage this year for toonami

unfortunately until the world returns to normal i doubt toonami will be doing any better

so unless covid-19 magically vanishes or a vaccine somehow comes out quicker than originally thought

toonami's gonna be in a rough spot for a very long time

Edited by CountFrylock
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, elfie said:

"We're looking into other anime." I think this goes along with what he said about "more surprises in 2020" earlier.

Oh yeah, btw, weren't we supposed to get the last 5 episodes of Primal this year?!

it's 2020 at this point i don't think we should be surprised to not get something we were originally suppose to

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

It seems like they intend to only air Ballmastrz for 5 or so weeks, however long it takes for JoJo to return (it is being dubbed from home currently). By airing something so "non-committal" they can pull it whenever they need to. If they tried to say rerun the latest 5 JoJo and find out they can't resume after then they have another dilemma. BM buys them up to 10 weeks without repeating but gives them the flexibility to swap it out any time. Personally I think they should be running Primal but if Gennedy really doesn't want that on Toonami then that's not an option.

As for if there's any hope for Toonami getting something fresh in the near future, there's at least this:

They were not expecting to put JoJo on a break (maybe they should have been by now but I digress) but they do intend to air some already dubbed anime eventually. That at least gives me hope that something fresh is coming before the end of Summer. Maybe to replace MHA, maybe to replace Paranoia, maybe season 2 of Mob following season 1.

By all means, don't bother watching Toonami. At this point I only watch Paranoia Agent, MHA (when its new) and JoJo and now I'm down to 2 shows I care about maybe just 1 per week. So I don't go out of my way to watch live and don't expect you to either. I don't think any of us should "give up" on Toonami because I'm sure they're not just sitting on their laurels right now. We have no idea what it takes to get a show right now but they're at least looking into what they can get.

It may get worse before it gets better though. Black Clover is only 5 episodes behind FUNimation and they haven't released an episode in over a month despite dubbing one from home. So if JoJo is ready in 5 weeks it might end up replacing Clover while Ballmastrz sticks around for another 1-5 weeks.

You're missing out on Black Clover, buddy! It's pretty much the best it's ever been!

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Ballmasterz, but did notice they were doing something related to Caramelldansen the other night, so, I guess that's neat. Still seemed like ass.

Airing anime they already own would be a nice low-cost option that I don't think anyone would complain much about. Shame studios can't be like "hey, sucks that we can't actually get you the episodes we promised. To make up for it, we'll throw you something old (even if something you already aired) to fill in while we get back on schedule."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm just curious as to what [as] is going to put on at 3 AM on 6/13. Perhaps programming will let Toonami have the slot back so it's back to 6 anime shows, even if it's for a rerun like GITS, Bebop, or FLCL Prog/Alt! Hell, why not give Lupin III Part 5 another run if they can do that?

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I'm no fan of Ballmasterz, but did notice they were doing something related to Caramelldansen the other night, so, I guess that's neat. Still seemed like ass.

Airing anime they already own would be a nice low-cost option that I don't think anyone would complain much about. Shame studios can't be like "hey, sucks that we can't actually get you the episodes we promised. To make up for it, we'll throw you something old (even if something you already aired) to fill in while we get back on schedule."

The reaction to Mob reruns wasn’t super favorable either so I don’t know about people being satisfied with more anime reruns.

Maybe FUNi kind of did that with Paranoia Agent. We don’t really know. It would be nice for Sentai, Viz, Aniplex, CR or FUNi to throw them a bone though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

We half expected Episode #87 of MHA to release Sunday given how many episodes of it Toonami replayed, but I don't think it did.

There's a theory currently that they're holding back 87 so that they can release 88 at the same time, since the two episodes count as their own arc.

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

there's a difference between positivity and blind optimism

And there's a difference between pessimism and blind panic. You're acting like Toonami is the only network being affected by the pandemic, when it's basically all of them. It will survive in some form, but no one can say for sure what it'll look like because this is an unprecedented situation for everyone. You screeching that the sky is falling after every single setback isn't helping anything, and I'm actually kind of amazed that you're not just constantly passing out from high blood pressure.

45 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

You're missing out on Black Clover, buddy! It's pretty much the best it's ever been!

That's not saying much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

is it time to hit the panic button? i ask because it's becoming harder and harder to be positive about toonami and i wonder how the hell they are gonna make it through the rest of this year if they have to resort to ballmasterz of all things now

If you're seriously spending any mental energy worrying about the programming choices of a late-night cable block, you need to seriously fucking reevaluate your priorities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jman said:

It is, and the fact they have to air it shows just how slim the pickings are.

But everyone else is in the same boat.

most networks have come to terms with the fact that they have to write off 2020 as a lost cause in the books

(an exception is the CW Network whose taken to buying the tv rights for older shows to air in the fall such as the canceled dc universe subscription swamp thing)

although I'm not really sure toonami can just do the same and ride out the rest of the year on reruns like every other network

Edited by CountFrylock

57 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

most networks have come to terms with the fact that they have to write off 2020 as a lost cause in the books

(an exception is the CW Network whose taken to buying the tv rights for older shows to air in the fall such as the canceled dc universe subscription swamp thing)

although I'm not really sure toonami can just do the same and ride out the rest of the year on reruns like every other network

Toonami is just following the model of Cartoon Network who's daily schedules have consisted of practically 80% reruns even before the pandemic began.

16 minutes ago, 3ngag3 said:

Toonami is just following the model of Cartoon Network who's daily schedules have consisted of practically 80% reruns even before the pandemic began.

and i doubt it affects them much but that's the difference between CN And Toonami

toonami caters to a very niche audience....Cartoon network caters to children who don't mind watching the same teen titans go episodes several days in a row

the toonami audience probably wouldn't react the same way to seeing the same episodes over and over again

Never watched Ballmasters before, though I'll admit I was a bit interested in watching it.  Can anyone tell me what the humor is like in it?  More specifically, is it anything like King Star King?

Adult Swim would be crazy to consider that Toonami is doing poorly enough for cancellation due to extraordinary events like coronavirus going on.  Like many other in the thread have said, all of TV is basically hurting right now.  And even if states are opening back up that doesn't mean this just goes away forever.  I've heard reports of a possible resurgence in the late summer fall, and I'm sure that people moving around again is going to see a marked increase in coronavirus cases.  This is something that is going to be prevalent until the end of 2020 at the very least.  Even if Toonami goes all rerun by that point, I doubt it's in any serious danger.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Never watched Ballmasters before, though I'll admit I was a bit interested in watching it.  Can anyone tell me what the humor is like in it?  More specifically, is it anything like King Star King?

Adult Swim would be crazy to consider that Toonami is doing poorly enough for cancellation due to extraordinary events like coronavirus going on.  Like many other in the thread have said, all of TV is basically hurting right now.  And even if states are opening back up that doesn't mean this just goes away forever.  I've heard reports of a possible resurgence in the late summer fall, and I'm sure that people moving around again is going to see a marked increase in coronavirus cases.  This is something that is going to be prevalent until the end of 2020 at the very least.  Even if Toonami goes all rerun by that point, I doubt it's in any serious danger.

isn't there suppose to be a new adult-swim president stepping in soon?(i think that's what i heard on the toonami reddit but wasn't so sure)

besides that...yes all of tv is hurting that's very true but while those networks can just ride on auto-pilot for the rest of the year without worry

i just doubt the same tactic would work just as well for toonami(which has a far more obscure audience)

if it becomes entirely reruns then whose to say most of said audience won't just opt to stream animes they haven't seen before instead of watching stuff they've seen dozens of times before?

i think there's this belief that the majority who watch toonami will watch it no matter what's on the block and no matter if it's all new or all reruns

believe what you want  everyone has an opinion...i just think an all reruns toonami would have significantly less viewers

Edited by CountFrylock

2 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

Less King Star King, more Superjail.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

eh someone i spoke with on gamefaqs has this crazy idea that this is all happening because maybe just maybe one of the Jojo Voice actors has corona-virus

that's just his wacky theory not mine(honestly i disagree but you are free to think whatever you want)

This is exactly why I don't get it when people raise a fuss and complain when this happens. Everyone's more at risk.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 3:07 PM, CountFrylock said:

i just doubt the same tactic would work just as well for toonami(which has a far more obscure audience)

if it becomes entirely reruns then whose to say most of said audience won't just opt to stream animes they haven't seen before instead of watching stuff they've seen dozens of times before?

i think there's this belief that the majority who watch toonami will watch it no matter what's on the block and no matter if it's all new or all reruns

believe what you want  everyone has an opinion...i just think an all reruns toonami would have significantly less viewers

Toonami reruns would no doubt have significantly less viewers.  The same is to be said of any TV network now.  Cable TV is on the downturn with the rise of streaming, it has been for years.  I think the key thing to remember here is that Toonami is niche and it knows it.  Anybody who just wants to watch MHA or any of the shows Toonami runs can just do it almost anywhere online without having to stay up late on Saturday night.  Toonami caters to a very exclusive audience who, I believe, come for the atmosphere as much as the shows.  Anybody can just air anime on TV and say nothing of it, but Toonami puts in the extra work to create bumpers and game reviews and all the other little things they do to go with the shows they air.  And I truly believe that people come to see that as much as the shows. 

This argument has been made before, but I think it's an important one to restate: Adult Swim knows that airing anime isn't exactly the best for ratings.  They could literally put anything on in Toonami's place and it would get ratings just as good, if not better, than what is currently being aired.  Adult Swim funds Toonami because it wants to.  If Adult Swim was so dissatisfied with Toonami's ratings they would have killed it years ago now.  And in the face of all cable TV being down, especially in the middle of a pandemic, I don't think Adult Swim's stance on the matter is going to change.  Toonami's viewership will certainly decrease with straight reruns, yes, but I think Adult Swim expects that.  But I don't think it will be cause for Toonami's cancellation.

EDIT:  WHOHOOOOOO!  1000 posts for me!  I was so close to it before I took a hiatus, too...

Edited by CaptainStarwind
  • Like 4

On 6/5/2020 at 3:35 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

Toonami reruns would no doubt have significantly less viewers.  The same is to be said of any TV network now.  Cable TV is on the downturn with the rise of streaming, it has been for years.  I think the key thing to remember here is that Toonami is niche and it knows it.  Anybody who just wants to watch MHA or any of the shows Toonami runs can just do it almost anywhere online without having to stay up late on Saturday night.  Toonami caters to a very exclusive audience who, I believe, come for the atmosphere as much as the shows.  Anybody can just air anime on TV and say nothing of it, but Toonami puts in the extra work to create bumpers and game reviews and all the other little things they do to go with the shows they air.  And I truly believe that people come to see that as much as the shows. 

This argument has been made before, but I think it's an important one to restate: Adult Swim knows that airing anime isn't exactly the best for ratings.  They could literally put anything on in Toonami's place and it would get ratings just as good, if not better, than what is currently being aired.  Adult Swim funds Toonami because it wants to.  If Adult Swim was so dissatisfied with Toonami's ratings they would have killed it years ago now.  And in the face of all cable TV being down, especially in the middle of a pandemic, I don't think Adult Swim's stance on the matter is going to change.  Toonami's viewership will certainly decrease with straight reruns, yes, but I think Adult Swim expects that.  But I don't think it will be cause for Toonami's cancellation.

EDIT:  WHOHOOOOOO!  1000 posts for me!  I was so close to it before I took a hiatus, too...

do we know much about the new adult swim president? that's the key factor here   what flew with the previous adult swim president may not fly as well under the new one

Ouch, another broadside to the... what is the space station called?

This is unfortunate and disappointing, but not that surprising.  I suppose, despite how long the episodes have been out, Viz was not as far along with the dubbing as we thought.  Good to know this should not be for too long hopefully.  This is a stopgap until JoJo is ready.

I can't say I have sat down and watched a full episode, but I have had it on in the background, seen bits and pieces.  It is definitely anime adjacent.  I will be interested to check it out.  Other options that would go well with the block are Venture Bros - lots of action, comic book and other pop culture references a lot of anime fans would be into, Boondocks - I legit thought I was seeing an anime promo when the show was first being promoted, looks like an anime and has references to Japanese culture and films if not anime directly, pop culture references, action, etc.

I first found out about this in a Youtube community post by Caboosejr -

Screenshot_20200606-060450_YouTube.thumb.jpg.1d61ddf92b4113b433a29184a80ccc05.jpg

Screenshot_20200606-060523_YouTube.thumb.jpg.9e4d85fbe58b5ef3e8c05618d2cd6924.jpg

LOL that's gotta be Ranlsa! xD 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 10:54 PM, CountFrylock said:

it's 2020 at this point i don't think we should be surprised to not get something we were originally suppose to

The problem is Demarco is always making empty promises, even before the pandemic started.  He really needs to not say anything is coming until he's got the damn tapes sitting on his desk.

But yeah, if what he says actually comes to pass, sounds great.  They can get some of the shows that got passed over.  But I won't get my hopes up.  Regardless, for the reasons CaptainStarwind and others stated, Toonami itself won't be going anywhere.