UnevenEdge

Golden Wind dub on Toonami to be delayed several weeks due to COVID-19

3ngag3

9 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

five weeks of ballmasterz....i don't really see the toonami audience accepting that show

no matter the anime influence it's still an adult swim comedy and those usually clash horribly with toonami

They didn’t accept Beware the Batfleck either.  Still aired, DeMarco was upfront he didn’t care people didn’t want to see a show about the C-List of Batman’s Rogues Gallery, block survived.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

why do people keep forgetting there's a new president emerging at adultswim?

Because when it was announced, it was made clear DeMarco was still handling Toonami.  Not that they were going to restructure or AT&T was going to made Toonami a Crunchyroll subsidiary.  For Toonami it’s business as usual.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

The problem is Demarco is always making empty promises, even before the pandemic started.  He really needs to not say anything is coming until he's got the damn tapes sitting on his desk.

But yeah, if what he says actually comes to pass, sounds great.  They can get some of the shows that got passed over.  But I won't get my hopes up.  Regardless, for the reasons CaptainStarwind and others stated, Toonami itself won't be going anywhere.

To be fair that's probably why they've moved announcements much closer to when a show actually starts these days. Heck, sometimes too close like only during the week before they're about to premiere, which is pretty weirdly short notice!

Ignoring these last few months due to the virus making things impossible and unpredictable, this late pull of tonight's Jojo just kinda reminded me that the most bizarre thing to me is that for some reason no one seems to know what's coming even a week or two ahead.

Like I don't recall any real warning before Boruto suddenly got pulled, even though it didn't seem to be doing bad in ratings. No real announcement in advance that they weren't doing Food Wars S3 after doing two seasons of it in a row and S3 being dubbed too.

Or that time they pulled Bebop during its HD version premiere before finishing it, and the couple of times they realized very late that they were losing a show.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

five weeks of ballmasterz....i don't really see the toonami audience accepting that show

no matter the anime influence it's still an adult swim comedy and those usually clash horribly with toonami

It's a temporary shift and one made out of necessity.  Not exactly what I would have picked to fill the slot but I'm glad it something different and not just another Cowboy Bebop rerun.  And if it doesn't work with the audience, what does it matter?  Ratings mean nothing right now due to the pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DangerMouse said:

To be fair that's probably why they've moved announcements much closer to when a show actually starts these days. Heck, sometimes too close like only during the week before they're about to premiere, which is pretty weirdly short notice!

Ignoring these last few months due to the virus making things impossible and unpredictable, this late pull of tonight's Jojo just kinda reminded me that the most bizarre thing to me is that for some reason no one seems to know what's coming even a week or two ahead.

Like I don't recall any real warning before Boruto suddenly got pulled, even though it didn't seem to be doing bad in ratings. No real announcement in advance that they weren't doing Food Wars S3 after doing two seasons of it in a row and S3 being dubbed too.

Or that time they pulled Bebop during its HD version premiere before finishing it, and the couple of times they realized very late that they were losing a show.

It's because they kind of suck at their jobs.

Keeping things close to the vest because you want to make sure you have a show secured is one thing (which they don't even do that and fail to deliver on promises all the time like I said,) but no warnings about shows being pulled?  They got caught with their pants down with InuYasha because they didn't even know when the rights were going to expire.  You would think it would be part of their job to know that.  Even if it was gotten by ASA, it's not like it was top secret information.  They work in the same damn building.

They probably didn't give a warning about Boruto so that people wouldn't try to lobby to keep it on the block, since Demarco had no plans of doing that, despite the bullshitting he tried to pull at the time, which of course we learned this exact truth later.  

Wasn't Food Wars Season 3 already under another license when they got the first 2 seasons?  Even if it wasn't that early, Demarco had plenty of time to get the deal done but still couldn't get it done. 

Yeah those other shows expiring again it was because they didn't stay on top of things like they should have, same as what happened with InuYasha.

I would say that at least Demarco is good at picking shows, but, well, lol.  I mean, most of the shows they would get are common sense popular hits anyone in that position would get.  So they are more competent than ASA, which isn't saying much.

For the less obvious stuff, they sometimes get a good sleeper show, like Michiko and Hatchin, or Megalobox. 

But they go all in on Dimension W?  So little shit was given about its manga that no one was even translating it, not even fan scanlations.  And then the show is apparently even worse than the manga since they crammed like 90 chapters into those episodes or something?  They picked up Tokyo Ghoul because its obnoxious fans wouldn't stop whining about it.  Experiment with non-action by getting, well, Food Wars?  Are anime fans culturally incomplete for not having seen it?  Is it one of the must-see pillars of anime classics alongside Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell? :D I don't think so!  Even then, the fan service and foodgasm gimmick was way overblown and not that crazy at all.  It has some good characters but a lot of annoying ones and after a while it just gets mundane when you realize that this is all the show is.  But it would be better than reruns!  Too bad Demarco dropped the ball on that, getting season 3!

Edited by ben0119

57 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

But they go all in on Dimension W?  So little shit was given about its manga that no one was even translating it, not even fan scanlations.  And then the show is apparently even worse than the manga since they crammed like 90 chapters into those episodes or something?  They picked up Tokyo Ghoul because its obnoxious fans wouldn't stop whining about it.  Experiment with non-action by getting, well, Food Wars?  Are anime fans culturally incomplete for not having seen it?  Is it one of the must-see pillars of anime classics alongside Bebop, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell? :D I don't think so!  Even then, the fan service and foodgasm gimmick was way overblown and not that crazy at all.  It has some good characters but a lot of annoying ones and after a while it just gets mundane when you realize that this is all the show is.  But it would be better than reruns!  Too bad Demarco dropped the ball on that, getting season 3!

Right, the weirdest to me was shows expiring out of nowhere.

Seemed like Food Wars was doing pretty well though lol

Hmmm, aren't there like over 10 volumes of DW's manga officially translated and out? Could have swore I saw it on the shelves of a B&N a couple of times.

Anyway, can't blame them for going in hard on Dimension W. I mean everyone went all in on Dimension W pre-release. Funi even signed on early to get on the committee given how market friendly it looked. From what I recall it was one of the biggest licenses of that season, before anyone knew how it was going to turn out of course, had a lot of hype, great animation, and a lot of the perfect mix of content for Toonami as a sci-fi, mystery, action show with a serious story but also a dash of buddy comedy with those two leads. The stylish art style fit the block well too, before we knew it'd be such a messy production story adaptation wise. I think the main problem with the show in addition to cramming too much in was that the director was really not that good at staging action scenes. Animation wise they looked great but all I remember from them was that as the fights played out the staging was often hard to follow and over very quickly. And even story progression within episodes could be confusing as well even though the overall story had plenty of potential.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 3

On the positive side, one good thing that could help Toonami over the next year or so in recovering, if we could ever beat this damn virus, and dubbing could properly resume, is that they potentially luck out content wise in that many of the shows that got good viewership this last year are actually all due new seasons ASAP, if they want them, which is pretty unusual.

Attack on Titan S4 being the big finale could easily be leveraged again as a block opener, as it's done before, and they're obviously going to air it, plus there's also Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, Fire Force, and the second half of SAO all due ASAP and/or early 2021. I guess Dr. Stone doesn't have a window yet but gotta imagine it's also targeting 2021.  Food Wars S3 they could seemingly do anytime they finally work out licensing it since it's already ready. Mob Psycho II is still waiting for them. Even Megalobox surprisingly got greenlit for more despite how it kinda had an ending. And it seems like work in Japan on MHA S5 has resumed, so work on Black Clover probably has or will soon too for whenever Funi can really start dubbing again.

Whenever it's ready there's also that Blade Runner anime they announced that'll likely be big enough to open the block in the next year or two.

Could also absolutely see them overbidding for the upcoming return of Bleach and opening the block with it like a big event, given how it mostly carried the block for several years.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

Right, the weirdest to me was shows expiring out of nowhere.

Seemed like Food Wars was doing pretty well though lol

Hmmm, aren't there like over 10 volumes of DW's manga officially translated and out? Could have swore I saw it on the shelves of a B&N a couple of times.

Anyway, can't blame them for going in hard on Dimension W. I mean everyone went all in on Dimension W pre-release. Funi even signed on early to get on the committee given how market friendly it looked. From what I recall it was one of the biggest licenses of that season, before anyone knew how it was going to turn out of course, had a lot of hype, great animation, and a lot of the perfect mix of content for Toonami as a sci-fi, mystery, action show with a serious story but also a dash of buddy comedy with those two leads. The stylish art style fit the block well too, before we knew it'd be such a messy production story adaptation wise. I think the main problem with the show in addition to cramming too much in was that the director was really not that good at staging action scenes. Animation wise they looked great but all I remember from them was that as the fights played out the staging was often hard to follow and over very quickly. And even story progression within episodes could be confusing as well even though the overall story had plenty of potential.

You had ONE JOB, Demarco!  Seriously, how the fuck do they not when shows are expiring?

I think Food Wars was doing well so not sure why Demarco dragged his feet getting the 3rd season secured.

I'm talking about before/when the anime came out.  If I recall correctly, there was no translations for the manga, not official, not even scanlations.

Funimation and Toonami obviously didn't keep up too well with the production progress, or even bother to get someone to check the quality of the story in the manga.  So yeah it looked good on paper and seemed to start off ok, but did not pan out well at all.  It's like how Demarco and co. would watch 3 episodes of something and think it's a good pick, like with GXP, but this time they didn't watch any!  Or concern themselves with the production process or actual story content.  The story was all over the place and a rushed mess.  Don't remember the action much.  I don't think the story would be much better under better pacing, either.

Edited by ben0119

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I think Food Wars was doing well so not sure why Demarco dragged his feet getting the 3rd season secured.

I'm talking about before/when the anime came out.  If I recall correctly, there was no translations for the manga, not official, not even scanlations.

Funimation and Toonami obviously didn't keep up too well with the production progress, or even bother to get someone to check the quality of the story in the manga.  So yeah it looked good on paper and seemed to start off ok, but did not pan out well at all.  It's like how Demarco and co. would watch 3 episodes of something and think it's a good pick, like with GXP, but this time they didn't watch any!  Or concern themselves with the production process or actual story content.  The story was all over the place and a rushed mess.  Don't remember the action much.  I don't think the story would be much better under better pacing, either.

Oh okay yeah I dunno if they came out before or after, just remembering seeing the books on the shelves.

I actually wonder how the manga is in comparison. The guy who did the manga has done some pretty cool stuff, like contributing to Darker than Black, which was why I was hyped for the show.

They did get it very quickly though, I think the turnaround time on Dimension W was pretty quick for an early simuldub between when it started and when it got on TV so they probably signed on soon after Funi picked it.

46 minutes ago, DangerMouse said:

On the positive side, one good thing that could help Toonami over the next year or so in recovering, if we could ever beat this damn virus, and dubbing could properly resume, is that they potentially luck out content wise in that many of the shows that got good viewership this last year are actually all due new seasons ASAP, if they want them, which is pretty unusual.

Attack on Titan S4 being the big finale could easily be leveraged again as a block opener, as it's done before, and they're obviously going to air it, plus there's also Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, Fire Force, and the second half of SAO all due ASAP and/or early 2021. I guess Dr. Stone doesn't have a window yet but gotta imagine it's also targeting 2021.  Food Wars S3 they could seemingly do anytime they finally work out licensing it since it's already ready. Mob Psycho II is still waiting for them. Even Megalobox surprisingly got greenlit for more despite how it kinda had an ending. And it seems like work in Japan on MHA S5 has resumed, so work on Black Clover probably has or will soon too for whenever Funi can really start dubbing again.

Whenever it's ready there's also that Blade Runner anime they announced that'll likely be big enough to open the block in the next year or two.

Could also absolutely see them overbidding for the upcoming return of Bleach and opening the block with it like a big event, given how it mostly carried the block for several years.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/sword-art-online-alicization-war-of-underworld-release-date-window-delay-pandemic/

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/05/09/sword-art-online-alicization-war-of-underworld-tv-anime-release-date-solidified-new-stay-home-visual-unveiled

It looks like they have actually been doing work on SAO from home, which I didn't know about, or that that was possible. 

0fd6ebfbeaf7bc8ea4da8a9a33b2b75f15890259

And a wallpaper was released of Eugeo telling Kirito to "stay home" instead of "stay cool" hahahahaha. xD I don't think that shut-in nerd needs much encouragement to do that. xD 

Looks like it is still coming out in July.  I wonder if, the season had been able to finish out as planned and they hadn't had to split it and delay the second half to April due to the compositing director having depression issues, would we have gotten the whole rest of the show already and dodged covid on that one?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-05-29/attack-on-titan-the-final-season-anime-promo-video-reveals-new-staff-at-mappa/.160061

Looks like we are not being told a release window for Attack on Titan Season 4/Final Season.  A trailer and a lot of info was released though.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dr-stone-season-2-character-designs-stone-wars-anime/

I haven't been able to find anything more recent than this on Dr. Stone.  It tells us that at the very least some amount of work has been done on the new season. 

I'm pretty annoyed at all these bullshit websites I never heard of polluting the search results too.  When did that shit start?  Gizmoblaze, Spoilerguy, Herald Journalism, NextAlerts, Gizmoposts24 (wtf obsession do they have with Gizmo?,) LRMonline.  ANN, Crunchyroll, ComicBook, CBR, those are the sites I want to come up.  I checked just to make sure and of course that GizmoBlaze site that claimed it had release date confirmed for Dr. Stone Season 2 did not have shit confirmed!  This is the epitome of a garbage nothing website.  "The same characters that were in season 1 will be in season 2, and there will be new characters."  BRILLIANT DEDUCTION THERE!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/05/21-1/fire-force-season-2-heats-up-in-new-trailer-and-visual-confirming-july-2020-broadcast

Fire Force coming out in July, as we already knew.  I haven't seen the trailer for this or Attack on Titan yet.  Is it pretty elaborate complete looking animation?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-23/the-promised-neverland-anime-2nd-season-delayed-to-january-2021-due-to-covid-19/.158866

The Promised Neverland second season isn't coming out until January now. 😧

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/black-clover-anime-hiatus-pandemic-coronavirus/

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-26/black-clover-anime-delays-new-episodes-due-to-covid-19/.159017

Black Clover stopped at 132.  I see some reporting 133 could air in mid-June, but not from anyone known or credible.  I guess we will find out soon enough if that is the case.

My Hero Academia was already done right?  So we are just waiting on Funimation to dub the rest of the episodes.  The next season was announced, but would they be in any rush to work on it, especially now?  Yeah, looks like no release date was given.  I'm obviously not going to look too hard on this one since I haven't seen the last of season 4 yet.

It makes me wonder that since work is being done from home on SAO, could it be the case for some of these other shows?  Obviously not all studios will have the same capabilities, but I would like to hope so.  It never the less begs the question of how is Fire Force also coming out in July otherwise?

Oh yes, Ichigo... will return. :) I don't see any updates since the original announcement, which was March 18th or so.  And now that I think about it, they said when the Burn the Witch stuff was coming out, but I don't recall that they actually said when the Bleach anime was coming out.  Maybe something was said in that video that I forgot, but I don't feel like doing yet even more digging lol.  But I can't see why they would announce in March after the pandemic had already started (I recall Kubo saying he was at home playing Animal Crossing and advised everyone else do the same LOL,) if it isn't still coming out soonish?

21 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/sword-art-online-alicization-war-of-underworld-release-date-window-delay-pandemic/

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/05/09/sword-art-online-alicization-war-of-underworld-tv-anime-release-date-solidified-new-stay-home-visual-unveiled

It looks like they have actually been doing work on SAO from home, which I didn't know about, or that that was possible. 

0fd6ebfbeaf7bc8ea4da8a9a33b2b75f15890259

And a wallpaper was released of Eugeo telling Kirito to "stay home" instead of "stay cool" hahahahaha. xD I don't think that shut-in nerd needs much encouragement to do that. xD 

xD

21 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-05-29/attack-on-titan-the-final-season-anime-promo-video-reveals-new-staff-at-mappa/.160061

Looks like we are not being told a release window for Attack on Titan Season 4/Final Season.  A trailer and a lot of info was released though.

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dr-stone-season-2-character-designs-stone-wars-anime/

I haven't been able to find anything more recent than this on Dr. Stone.  It tells us that at the very least some amount of work has been done on the new season. 

I'm pretty annoyed at all these bullshit websites I never heard of polluting the search results too.  When did that shit start?  Gizmoblaze, Spoilerguy, Herald Journalism, NextAlerts, Gizmoposts24 (wtf obsession do they have with Gizmo?,) LRMonline.  ANN, Crunchyroll, ComicBook, CBR, those are the sites I want to come up.  I checked just to make sure and of course that GizmoBlaze site that claimed it had release date confirmed for Dr. Stone Season 2 did not have shit confirmed!  This is the epitome of a garbage nothing website.  "The same characters that were in season 1 will be in season 2, and there will be new characters."  BRILLIANT DEDUCTION THERE!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2020/05/21-1/fire-force-season-2-heats-up-in-new-trailer-and-visual-confirming-july-2020-broadcast

Fire Force coming out in July, as we already knew.  I haven't seen the trailer for this or Attack on Titan yet.  Is it pretty elaborate complete looking animation?

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-23/the-promised-neverland-anime-2nd-season-delayed-to-january-2021-due-to-covid-19/.158866

The Promised Neverland second season isn't coming out until January now. 😧

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/black-clover-anime-hiatus-pandemic-coronavirus/

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2020-04-26/black-clover-anime-delays-new-episodes-due-to-covid-19/.159017

Black Clover stopped at 132.  I see some reporting 133 could air in mid-June, but not from anyone known or credible.  I guess we will find out soon enough if that is the case.

My Hero Academia was already done right?  So we are just waiting on Funimation to dub the rest of the episodes.  The next season was announced, but would they be in any rush to work on it, especially now?  Yeah, looks like no release date was given.  I'm obviously not going to look too hard on this one since I haven't seen the last of season 4 yet.

It makes me wonder that since work is being done from home on SAO, could it be the case for some of these other shows?  Obviously not all studios will have the same capabilities, but I would like to hope so.  It never the less begs the question of how is Fire Force also coming out in July otherwise?

Oh yes, Ichigo... will return. :) I don't see any updates since the original announcement, which was March 18th or so.  And now that I think about it, they said when the Burn the Witch stuff was coming out, but I don't recall that they actually said when the Bleach anime was coming out.  Maybe something was said in that video that I forgot, but I don't feel like doing yet even more digging lol.  But I can't see why they would announce in March after the pandemic had already started (I recall Kubo saying he was at home playing Animal Crossing and advised everyone else do the same LOL,) if it isn't still coming out soonish?

Yeah, no date was on that new AoT S4 trailer, so I guess it's currently still vague Fall 2020, so no way to tell if it makes it or early delays to early 2021. Especially with the studio change on top of the virus they might need more time. Hopefully they take it if they need, this last season needs to be good, Wit knocked the first three out of the park. But whenever it comes and Funi can dub it I could easily see it carrying a block opener spot.

Dr. Stone I haven't found anything either, it's just with Promised Neverland already originally due this fall, though yeah it got delayed till January, would be crazy if TMS Ent doesn't have Dr. Stone in the pipeline for at least the next year or so.

Yeah Fire Force is still currently on time it looks like, atleast for the Japanese version. We'll have to see when they'll really be able to start dubbing this stuff.

Yup, only two eps left to dub to finish MHA season 4, but I was referring to the upcoming next season.

Black Clover was actually just a guess since I saw the news that MHA S5 production was resuming and a video of the new separated voice recording room they set up.

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/05/21/my-hero-academia-season-5-preps-for-recording-in-japan/

Indeed, would be SHOCKED if they don't do whatever they have to to get new Bleach lol.

Yes, when the hell did those random sites start popping up stealing the search results?

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Confused 1

If any blame is to be done, it’s on what’s available.  Otherwise Baki wouldn’t be in the Netflix Top 10 in the US.

There’s a clear demand for anime, unlike what was claimed when ASA was in its death throes.

Edited by Jman

On 6/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, Jman said:

They didn’t accept Beware the Batfleck either.  Still aired, DeMarco was upfront he didn’t care people didn’t want to see a show about the C-List of Batman’s Rogues Gallery, block survived.

I recall that show did pretty good ratings at 3AM. And I also recall the ratings of the whole block took an interesting downward turn the week after Dandy ended and Beware the Batman was burned off. Almost as if having a Batman show did garner some viewers that didn't stick around after it was gone and maybe Dandy did as well.

• Like 2