UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Episode 86 Discussion Thread

429857a8402d60c2dcab7a646b493e604bcebcba

Episode #86 (Season 4, Episode 23): Let It Flow! School Festival!

Like the last one, this great episode of MHA was lovingly dubbed from dozens of voice actors' homes! Thank everyone at Funimation for going above and beyond the call of duty to please their fans and make them smile!

I personally have been waiting for this particular episode to be animated, dubbed, and on Toonami, for almost two years. I saw the sub on my first week quarantined, and it was just the pick-me-up I needed!  I hope it is enjoyable to you all as well.

FEATURING THE INSERT SONG

8yrow814ef84f.pngHERO TOO8yrow814ef84f.png

PERFORMED BY CRISSY COSTANZA
SINGER-SONGWRITER FOR THE BAND "AGAINST THE CURRENT"/ VOCALIST FOR "LEGENDS NEVER DIE" AND "PHOENIX" FROM LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
AS JIROU KYOKA

fa984574-0d42-401a-846f-8c479b9da9da

MIDNIGHT TOMORROW (5/17), ONLY TOONAMI!!

Edited by elfie
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Jman said:

Hoo boy, the actual school festival.

Let’s get this over with so the writers can go back into digging through X-Men stories.  I guess we could do The Twelve after this...

yeah after this it's back to the superhero stuff.

13 hours ago, elfie said:

429857a8402d60c2dcab7a646b493e604bcebcba

Episode #86 (Season 4, Episode 23): Let It Flow! School Festival!

Like the last one, this great episode of MHA was lovingly dubbed from dozens of voice actors' homes! Thank everyone at Funimation for going above and beyond the call of duty to please their fans and make them smile!

I personally have been waiting for this particular episode to be animated, dubbed, and on Toonami, for almost two years. I saw the sub on my first week quarantined, and it was just the pick-me-up I needed!  I hope it is enjoyable to you all as well.

FEATURING THE INSERT SONG

8yrow814ef84f.pngHERO TOO8yrow814ef84f.png

PERFORMED BY CRISSY COSTANZA
SINGER-SONGWRITER FOR THE BAND "AGAINST THE CURRENT"/ VOCALIST FOR "LEGENDS NEVER DIE" AND "PHOENIX" FROM LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
AS JIROU KYOKA

fa984574-0d42-401a-846f-8c479b9da9da

MIDNIGHT TOMORROW (5/17), ONLY TOONAMI!!

TWO YEARS!? You must read the manga.

Did Crissy do the singing voice in the SUBTITLED version!? If so, I guess it isn't THAT uncommon for anime characters to have different voices from the usual seiyuu for musical performances?

I mean, animation can defy gravity and do other things, both cool and disturbing, visually, so why is what it can do with sound any different? There's no rule that says all times a character speaks or performs in a work they must be voiced by the same human being. "Mixing it up, as obviously was done here, is perfectly fine!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

TWO YEARS!?

You must read the manga. Did Crissy do the singing voice in the SUBTITLED version!? If so, I guess it isn't THAT uncommon for anime characters to have different voices from the usual seiyuu for musical performances?

I don't follow the manga but I was curious about these moments when people talked about it on Twitter and Tumlbr.

Yes, Crissy was the same performance in the sub version already. Meaning Funimation, thankfully, didn't have to do ANYTHING with the song once it was time to dub the episodes. Hero Too is 100% in English, so they didn't even have to translate anything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Ah, I gotcha. Good job keeping my thread aesthetic going!

Ironically, tonight's episode will most likely be nothing like this "sustaining" promo:

I'm preparing for a musical, very "slice of life" episode!

It's odd when the best episode this half of the season is basically if My Hero Academia were a Disney movie.

High-School-Musical-2-movies-and-tv-show

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

I mean, animation can defy gravity and do other things, both cool and disturbing, visually, so why is what it can do with sound any different? There's no rule that says all times a character speaks or performs in a work they must be voiced by the same human being. "Mixing it up, as obviously was done here, is perfectly fine!

Just noticed this part. Disney cast a separate singing voice for protagonists in their movies during the 90's. I'm sure Trina can also sing, but I don't thikn she has formal training.

Defy gravity in this case literally.

Edited by elfie

2 hours ago, elfie said:

Just noticed this part. Disney cast a separate singing voice for protagonists in their movies during the 90's. I'm sure Trina can also sing, but I don't thikn she has formal training.

Defy gravity in this case literally.

Depends which movie you're talking about! If that's The Little Mermaid, I'm pretty sure Jodi Benson got all the parts! Of course, that was also 1989, so I guess that technically doesn't qualify?

Edited by OwlChemist81

8 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Depends which movie you're talking about! If that's The Little Mermaid, I'm pretty sure Jodi Benson got all the parts! Of course, that was also 1989, so I guess that technically doesn't qualify?

The stars of Aladdin, The Lion King, and Hercules had their voices replaced when singing.

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This is played more loose in America and isn't as big of an issue. Like Elfie pointed out Disney has done it since the 90s. There was a period where it was a bit more taboo to talk about which is why many times soundalikes would go unaccredited. In Japan I know it's not done or it's kept fully underwraps when it is. Fan loyalty for voice actors in Japan goes far beyond that in the west. When Bulma's voice actress passed away many were expected the anime to be canceled or that it wouldn't be picked up for another season; before they introduced her replacement soundalike. Usually the trend in Japan is that only that voice actor can ever really voice that character. It's very, very rare for them to replace one and continue a series. Shimoneta got it's 2nd season canned because of the death of Anna's VA. 

• Like 1

Interesting pre-game discussion we're having here!

Only 12 minutes to go!

BTW, at this point, UFC Fight Night is probably gonna completely trash this block's ratings, but whatever. Maybe not. We'll see in a bit!

Edited by OwlChemist81