UnevenEdge

My Hero Academia Episode 86 Discussion Thread

7 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Really the problem with having a large cast. Usually any other series with a cast this big would be killing off characters. It's just way too many people to try and develop and use in a useful way for each arc. 

There was a lot of characters that were made that did not need to exist.  The bulk of Class A has been ignored, then the author makes more classes and other characters.  So yeah sugar guy tape guy and others have not had much to do.  But it is quite noticeable that some of girls, who were much more prominent than those characters, haven't done much either.

I remember people complaining about Bleach having too many characters, but just about all of them have had one or more major fights or moments, arcs, throughout the series, by the time it ends.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

There was a lot of characters that were made that did not need to exist.  The bulk of Class A has been ignored, then the author makes more classes and other characters.  So yeah sugar guy tape guy and others have not had much to do.  But it is quite noticeable that some of girls, who were much more prominent than those characters, haven't done much either.

I remember people complaining about Bleach having too many characters, but just about all of them have had one or more major fights or moments, arcs, throughout the series, by the time it ends.

Tape Guy would have more use if Aizawa couldn't do pretty much the same thing with a scarf. I think he was meant to pretty much be a spiderman knockoff, but like you said they've not utilized him. Sugar guy, Kangaroo tail, guy that talks with animals, and Mutant guy have been mostly useless. Sugar guy especially. The problem with having a strength based Quirk when it's horribly outclassed by Deku's strength based quirk. The problem with the girls is more that they have interesting quirks, but they're rarely being used. 

Bleach had a similar problem that MHA has with it's girl cast. In that you have a lot of characters with good abilities or characters, but choose to do nothing to develop upon them. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

All the girls are less thick in the anime, sadly, except Nejire I think has bigger boobs.  The same thing happened with Black Clover.  I was going to make a thread bitching about it, but I never got around to it.  There is even a whole discussion between Horikoshi and the anime character designer talking about it.

so basically the animators sexualized the girls bodies more than Horikoshi himself did...

6 minutes ago, mochi said:

so basically the animators sexualized the girls bodies more than Horikoshi himself did...

Depends on what you find more sexually attractive. Some people were upset because they liked the thicc. Horikoshi though said the anime made more sense which is pretty much why he had Uraraka train in hand to hand to tone her body in the manga, as after that point she has a closer appearance to her anime self. On the other hand though Midnight went from having a flesh suit to wearing burlap because of the anime. Her being the x rated hero and walking around in a flesh suit made far more sense than the hobo outfit they gave her. Also the missed opportunity of her originally being planned as the Class 1A homeroom teacher. 

1547483696308.jpg

1549078892514.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Tape Guy would have more use if Aizawa couldn't do pretty much the same thing with a scarf. I think he was meant to pretty much be a spiderman knockoff, but like you said they've not utilized him. Sugar guy, Kangaroo tail, guy that talks with animals, and Mutant guy have been mostly useless. Sugar guy especially. The problem with having a strength based Quirk when it's horribly outclassed by Deku's strength based quirk. The problem with the girls is more that they have interesting quirks, but they're rarely being used. 

Bleach had a similar problem that MHA has with it's girl cast. In that you have a lot of characters with good abilities or characters, but choose to do nothing to develop upon them. 

Yeah all those characters have done fuck all lol.  The animal guy could have at least been used more.  Hmm but Deku can barely use his power, and only in short spurts.  I said this before but the author kind of got his wish of Deku not having a power and having to use gadgets and strategy to fight. The way his power is like during the whole series is like when the Tessaiga was heavy, or Ichigo trying to get his powers back. Frustrating!

Well it is lack of creativity or thinking of what to do with these characters. But, I dont agree on that about the girls in Bleach. They had a good deal to do in that series. The girls have barely done ANYTHING in this show.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, elfie said:

I kinda wish, for all the strength this scene had, we should've gotten some of this information in the earlier seasons. Here it just seems like a tacked-on backstory that had to be told to us during her realization. In fact, from the OP, I thought we would get just that. Only to find that the rest of the arc was purely on Deku and Gentle.

Yeah,I agree that her backstory should have be revealed before the gig and not just suddenly shoved it in there 

but yeah while Chrissy Constanza  was doing Kyoka's singing performance,the volume of her audio had to be turned down just enough  just so we could be able to go back and hear  the dubbed voice actor Trina Nishimura and or sub voice actor performed their lines during kyoka's backstory reveal while Chrissy Constanza was still singing in the background lol. I definitely felt like I was taken out of her singing performance a bit while trying to process the backstory reveal simantanouesly.

This kind of complaint is probably why toho animation  decided To make a music video "hero too" where the only voice performances you only  hear during the gig is just Chrissy Constanza herself and not the sub voice actor at the same time( other character voices are still heard though lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=ggwuenaqqlm

I think it remedies the problem as we get to hear Chrissy's whole performance  better  now without interruption but regardless of how it was handled,I think the actual episode is worthy of rewatching anyways.

Edited by Roymustang1990
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Roymustang1990 said:

Yeah,I agree that her backstory should have be revealed before the gig and not just suddenly shoved it in there 

but yeah while Chrissy Constanza  was doing Kyoka's singing performance,the volume of her audio had to be turned down just enough  just so we could be able to go back and hear  the dubbed voice actor Trina Nishimura and or sub voice actor performed their lines during kyoka's backstory reveal while Chrissy Constanza was still singing in the background lol. I definitely felt like I was taken out of her singing performance a bit while trying to process the backstory reveal simantanouesly.

This kind of complaint is probably why toho animation  decided To make a music video  where the only voice performances you only  hear during the gig is just Chrissy Constanza herself and not the sub voice actor at the same time( other character voices are still heard though lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=ggwuenaqql

I think it remedies the problem as we get to hear Chrissy's whole performance  better  now without interruption but regardless of how it was handled,I think the actual episode is worthy of rewatching anyways.

Thankfully Toho and others uploaded an uninterrupted version of Hero Too to Youtube, and various artists have done covers!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well it is lack of creativity or thinking of what to do with these characters. But, I dont agree on that about the girls in Bleach. They had a good deal to do in that series. The girls have barely done ANYTHING in this show.

In the manga they didn't. It was all anime filler. Just like all the RukiaxIchigo moments that are played up in the anime. In the manga the almost barely interact compared to the anime. Even with the filler most of the cast don't do jack shit. Soi-fon did next to nothing, Isane did nothing, Kitone did nothing, Tatsuki and the girls in Ichigo's class did nothing, Yachiru did nothing outside of omake filler, Unohana did nothing, Kukaku did nothing, etc. Characters would just show up only to be put on the sideline. 

The MHA girls have had some moments, but they're nearly all school moments when there is no real danger. Invisible girl so far is the only girl in the class who has done not a damn thing even in any of the school training arcs or tournaments. 

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

I would preferred their thicker looks of the manga

I think thicc momo makes more sense based on her quirk needing her to have more calories to use. Uraraka I am leaning more towards anime, but the manga one is also fine. Tsuyu and Ashido though I think the anime are better. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

In the manga they didn't. It was all anime filler. Just like all the RukiaxIchigo moments that are played up in the anime. In the manga the almost barely interact compared to the anime. Even with the filler most of the cast don't do jack shit. Soi-fon did next to nothing, Isane did nothing, Kitone did nothing, Tatsuki and the girls in Ichigo's class did nothing, Yachiru did nothing outside of omake filler, Unohana did nothing, Kukaku did nothing, etc. Characters would just show up only to be put on the sideline. 

The MHA girls have had some moments, but they're nearly all school moments when there is no real danger. Invisible girl so far is the only girl in the class who has done not a damn thing even in any of the school training arcs or tournaments. 

Yeah pretty sure that's not true.  Yeah characters like Isane and Kukaku didn't do much, but to say the girls did nothing and Ichigo and Rukia "barely interacted" is not true at all.  I know that arc with Rukia and the guy stuck in Hueco Mundo was filler, but Kubo had wanted to put it in the manga.  Tatsuki yes a shame about her.  She should have gotten powers and been part of the team.

Yeah.  I thought for sure they would do more in the last arc too, since they were brought on as part of the team.  But they got stuck fighting a minor henchmen outside the enemy base entrance, and mostly off-screen at that.  Yeah it is a shame about the invisible girl!  I wondered if maybe we would ever learn more about her or what she looks like.

8 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah pretty sure that's not true.  Yeah characters like Isane and Kukaku didn't do much, but to say the girls did nothing and Ichigo and Rukia "barely interacted" is not true at all.  I know that arc with Rukia and the guy stuck in Hueco Mundo was filler, but Kubo had wanted to put it in the manga.  Tatsuki yes a shame about her.  She should have gotten powers and been part of the team.

Yeah.  I thought for sure they would do more in the last arc too, since they were brought on as part of the team.  But they got stuck fighting a minor henchmen outside the enemy base entrance, and mostly off-screen at that.  Yeah it is a shame about the invisible girl!  I wondered if maybe we would ever learn more about her or what she looks like.

Ichigo and Rukia rarely interact in the manga. The anime fills out a lot of that. It does it for pretty much everyone. Though all the romance stuff hinted between ichigo and rukia is anime only. It's very plainly platonic friendship in the manga. Also that their interactions are few and far between after the SS arc. They interact a lot in the anime though. Lots of scenes of Rukia blushing that weren't in the manga, the whole goodbye scene that wasn't there, etc. Pretty much all the girls from the SS though don't do jack in the manga. They only stand out in anime filler arcs and scenes. Orihime really got shafted since her power went from mildly useful to the most broken thing in the universe to being never used. 

There was an omake about what the invisible girl looks like. Though as for the girls ever being relevant it's hard to tell. The last thing I heard from the mangaka was years ago, when they said that they planned on ending the series when Deku got his hero license because then he'd be a hero and there'd be no more story to tell. As we know full heroes have no stories to tell that's why comic books don't exist. However since then He's gotten his hero license, and there have been two movies made, so I guess he learned something from Toriyama in that Money talks. 
6f9.png

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

No, I'm not up to date with the MHA manga?  Why would I be?  And even without clicking that tag, how you quoted that post and responded is still a spoiler.  Thanks, asshole.

Thats on you I worded it in terms of the manga and marked the spoiler. Also not a spoiler if you've watched the 2nd mha movie, since it's ahead of where the anime is. Though either way yes he does have a power. 

Edited by HardcoreHunter

19 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Thats on you I worded it in terms of the manga and marked the spoiler. Also not a spoiler if you've watched the 2nd mha movie, since it's ahead of where the anime is. Though either way yes he does have a power. 

I didn't click on anything.  The way you quoted my post and worded your response is enough to give away.  I haven't seen any of the movies.

14 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I'd assumed you'd read since you were posting articles comparing the manga and anime. 

It was the whole character design thing.  Like I said, it happened in Black Clover, and it happened with MHA, changing the look of the girls.  I think I had that article recommended to me in Google News or something.  And I had looked up the Black Clover characters enough that I knew how they looked in the manga, saw some color spreads, etc.

Just now, ben0119 said:

I didn't click on anything.  The way you quoted my post and worded your response is enough to give away.  I haven't seen any of the movies.

What do you think I said? If you're right I'll be surprised, because from what I wrote all I confirmed is that he has a quirk which was established back in season 1. 

24 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Ichigo and Rukia rarely interact in the manga. The anime fills out a lot of that. It does it for pretty much everyone. Though all the romance stuff hinted between ichigo and rukia is anime only. It's very plainly platonic friendship in the manga. Also that their interactions are few and far between after the SS arc. They interact a lot in the anime though. Lots of scenes of Rukia blushing that weren't in the manga, the whole goodbye scene that wasn't there, etc. Pretty much all the girls from the SS though don't do jack in the manga. They only stand out in anime filler arcs and scenes. Orihime really got shafted since her power went from mildly useful to the most broken thing in the universe to being never used. 

There was an omake about what the invisible girl looks like. Though as for the girls ever being relevant it's hard to tell. The last thing I heard from the mangaka was years ago, when they said that they planned on ending the series when Deku got his hero license because then he'd be a hero and there'd be no more story to tell. As we know full heroes have no stories to tell that's why comic books don't exist. However since then He's gotten his hero license, and there have been two movies made, so I guess he learned something from Toriyama in that Money talks. 
6f9.png

Once again, you are full of shit.

0e7af5dfb2ffc182a51ea8c8771f3f7c.jpg

I remember Kubo saying that any potential romances were imagined in the reader's heads, or something.  I think he might have been talking about Ichigo and Rukia, or speaking generally.  Either way, it's trolling, because some stuff was definitely teased.  Yeah, Kubo is right in some cases, that people will see what they want to see to put characters together, and I actually quite dislike the whole shipper mentality, but it wasn't all in the mind of the fans. 

Spoiler

Either way, Kubo decides to go against his principle of not having any romance, by having 2 couples at the end of the series.

I haven't gone back and read all the old chapters, but I had been reading since at least... the Barragan fight?  And I have read back a few chapters and arcs, volumes.  There's not huge differences in a lot of the scenes.  From what I understand, stuff is actually cut from the manga in places.  There were three other giants in the Soul Society Arc, and I believe the first arc was condensed a bit, but also was shortened in the manga, due to Yu Yu Hakusho comparisons.  Unohana at the very least figured out Aizen's trick, to a an extent,

Spoiler

and plays a major role in post-anime content.

Yeah, remember when Orihime was supposed to reject the Hogyoku's existence? :D Then later Aizen says he was lying and Orihime's power wasn't really all that, and he just kidnapped her because he knew Soul Society would send people to rescue her, to split their forces.  Others, yes, have not done much at all.  But I know all those fights and moments etc... with the girls, were all not just "filler."   But given the stuff you were already wrong about, I don't really feel like arguing with you about every other little thing you said.  I really don't know where you're getting your information from.

Spoiler

And Kubo actually went out of his way to give just about every character a big moment in the final arc.

Yeah that wouldn't make a lot of sense to end it there, lol.  I'm sure the mangaka has said other stuff, probably has had several interviews and statements made.  I don't feel like looking it up right now, though.  I am thinking she could have gotten tagged with paint or something or other at some point.  I remember a fan comic someone made of her putting on makeup to show what she looks like.  It probably doesn't have any credence to canon I guess.

Was this the one I saw?

I'm sure there's better quality of this somewhere, but I don't feel like looking for it right now.

d1IQ7Te.jpg

TdHv6zE.jpg

tmW2495.jpg

I don't know why she looks like Belle from Beauty and the Beast. :D

And I found this.  She looks like a Mob Psycho 100 character. :D

jnru56uo42z31.png

20 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

What do you think I said? If you're right I'll be surprised, because from what I wrote all I confirmed is that he has a quirk which was established back in season 1. 

I'll write what I think you said under a spoiler tag.  In case, I guessed right, I don't want to end up spoiling others.  If I had just been theorizing or guessing without the interference of a spoily post, it wouldn't matter.  But, to be cautious -

Spoiler

Sounds to me like you're saying Deku loses his power and doesn't have a quirk anymore, and that happens later in the story.  Because I was saying since Deku was so handicapped and can barely use his power properly, and not for very long at a time, Horikoshi kind of got his original wish of Deku not having a power.  Deku can't use his quirk freely to its full extent whenever he wants, like the others.

I guess you would just have to say whether I assumed correctly or not.  Of course, if you explain too much, you'll end up giving it away.  But, if you hadn't made that post in the first place...

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

2 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Yeah all those characters have done fuck all lol.  The animal guy could have at least been used more.  Hmm but Deku can barely use his power, and only in short spurts.  I said this before but the author kind of got his wish of Deku not having a power and having to use gadgets and strategy to fight. The way his power is like during the whole series is like when the Tessaiga was heavy, or Ichigo trying to get his powers back. Frustrating!

Yeah. He gave them some good character and some cool quirks but almost never gets them into the real action to get to use them.

Nejire also notably was the only one of the big 3 not to get a proper Big Damn Hero moment.

Both Mirio and Tamaki did.
Getting pushed to their limits in their gutsy epic fights.

I kind of get what he was thinking and think it was a good idea to introduce the other class so that there'd be a rival class and to make the school feel more populated than it felt during season 1, but again it's weird that they also haven't contributed much of anything since the tournament.

Edited by DangerMouse
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I'll write what I think you said under a spoiler tag.  In case, I guessed right, I don't want to end up spoiling others.  If I had just been theorizing or guessing without the interference of a spoily post, it wouldn't matter.  But, to be cautious -

Reveal hidden contents

Sounds to me like you're saying Deku loses his power and doesn't have a quirk anymore, and that happens later in the story.  Because I was saying since Deku was so handicapped and can barely use his power properly, and not for very long at a time, Horikoshi kind of got his original wish of Deku not having a power.  Deku can't use his quirk freely to its full extent whenever he wants, like the others.

I guess you would just have to say whether I assumed correctly or not.  Of course, if you explain too much, you'll end up giving it away.  But, if you hadn't made that post in the first place...

You're assumption is wrong

5 hours ago, ben0119 said:

I remember Kubo saying that any potential romances were imagined in the reader's heads, or something.  I think he might have been talking about Ichigo and Rukia, or speaking generally.  Either way, it's trolling, because some stuff was definitely teased.  Yeah, Kubo is right in some cases, that people will see what they want to see to put characters together, and I actually quite dislike the whole shipper mentality, but it wasn't all in the mind of the fans. 

"okay, bye rukia" is pretty much nothing compared to the 24min tear jerk blush fest of a final episode of that arc Bleach head. I don't get how you think I'm wrong about most of the cast only being used in anime filler and not having much relevance in the manga. Hell the one twist they have with Nanao in the manga final arc, only made sense if you'd have watched the Zanpaktou Rebellion filler arc. Though all those female characters I listed do pretty much nothing in the manga, but have episodes worth of content in anime filler. The arguments you have is they did something minor like Unohana figuring out that Aizen was up to something, so it counts as them doing something. If that's the case then a bulk of the MHA girls have also done something.  Kubo went out of his way to have a character appear. Their importance to the arc was negligible and it didn't really add anything. Also if MHA went on for as long as bleach and didn't do anything with the family cast of even minor importance till the final arc, I don't think I'd be praising the mangaka for it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

I kind of get what he was thinking and think it was a good idea to introduce the other class so that there'd be a rival class and to make the school feel more populated than it felt during season 1, but again it's weird that they also haven't contributed much of anything since the tournament.

The Tournament may have been as far as he'd have thought ahead with them. I believe some character were scrapped designs or alt early concepts for some of the main cast. I think it shows also that this may have been a really late call since the score board in the manga shows that 4 members of class B made the top 10 on the entrance exam. Shirozaki/grass girl jesus got 4th place, Kendo Got 5th place, Tetsutetsu got 8th place, and Awase got 10th. 

Itsuka_Kendo_Anime_Profile.png

Ibara_Shiozaki_Anime_Profile.png

Tetsutetsu_Tetsutetsu_Anime_Profile.png

Yosetsu_Awase_Anime_Profile.png

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:01 AM, Roymustang1990 said:

This kind of complaint is probably why toho animation  decided To make a music video "hero too" where the only voice performances you only  hear during the gig is just Chrissy Constanza herself and not the sub voice actor at the same time( other character voices are still heard though lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watchv=ggwuenaqqlm

If only parents were allowed in the school festival that year.  You can SO tell they watched their daugther's performance on a recording at home and being on cloud nine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2020 at 9:00 AM, HardcoreHunter said:

"okay, bye rukia" is pretty much nothing compared to the 24min tear jerk blush fest of a final episode of that arc Bleach head. I don't get how you think I'm wrong about most of the cast only being used in anime filler and not having much relevance in the manga. Hell the one twist they have with Nanao in the manga final arc, only made sense if you'd have watched the Zanpaktou Rebellion filler arc. Though all those female characters I listed do pretty much nothing in the manga, but have episodes worth of content in anime filler. The arguments you have is they did something minor like Unohana figuring out that Aizen was up to something, so it counts as them doing something. If that's the case then a bulk of the MHA girls have also done something.  Kubo went out of his way to have a character appear. Their importance to the arc was negligible and it didn't really add anything. Also if MHA went on for as long as bleach and didn't do anything with the family cast of even minor importance till the final arc, I don't think I'd be praising the mangaka for it.  

I don't know what you're talking about.  It was a big moment in the anime, and it was a big moment in the manga.  Certainly not a "simple goodbye" like you are downplaying it.  That arc really doesn't have much difference to it from the manga, either.  And it wasn't just that page. 

Besides that, how much time passes in manga is up to interpretation and the speed the reader chooses or is able to read it, and their imagination.  I will say that part is not much difference between the two.  Obviously time is locked in anime and you can't watch it faster or slower, and expect time is passing 1:1, with exception to simultaneous events and time skips.  Of course, "shonen time" is often at play.

That arc isn't much different in the anime, either, aside from one questionable change and one understandable one. 

In the manga, Kubo keeps teasing the identity of the mystery Soul Reaper, even having them speak, though not showing who it is.  Obviously, in an anime, hearing the person speak would immediately reveal who it is, so the anime just reveals it is Rukia as soon as she speaks.  In the manga, Tsukishima only cuts Ginjo, because he was a bad actor and couldn't convincingly pretend to be Ichigo's friend.  I believe the other Fullbringers are also cut in the anime, which doesn't make sense given Riruka's earlier interactions with characters.

But, I proved you wrong, and now you're just moving the goal posts and twisting, if not outright lying about what happened in the manga, so I'm not sure it's even worth arguing with you.

You are overblowing the amount of filler, as in, if you mean padding to the canon content, it's not that big a difference.  And a lot of cases is an improvement, like showing how Aizen beat all the Soul Reapers, when in the manga it just cuts to the next panel and they're all falling after Aizen reveals he switched places with Momo.

Well, we know Kubo makes all the characters, even the filler ones, so, we know those Zanpakuto spirits are canon, even if those events in the filler arc aren't.  But at the same time, I really don't feel like it is necessary to see the Zanpakuto Arc to understand the Nanao twist.

That isn't minor.  Aizen was the main villain for the majority of the series and plotting behind the scenes for a good while before he revealed himself, and Unohana was the only one who had a clue.  Did any MHA girl do anything remotely this relevant?

I don't know which character you're referring to.  But the point is, by the time the series ended, almost no character got left out.  Everyone got their time in the limelight by the time the series ended.  A lot of series can't even manage that. 

And we are nearing 100 episodes in MHA and I can't say any girl has had the signicance, fight time, plot relevance, to any of the Bleach girls in that same time.  Ichigo and Rukia were partners in battle in the first arc, she gets her powers back and is full fledged member of the team after her rescue, and has multiple featured fights and important moments with various members of the cast.  Yoruichi is an instrumental part of the team and helps train Ichigo, we see her fight and backstory with Soifon.  Kukakku also trained Ichigo and his friends and helped them get into the Seireitei.  In the manga, she actually does more, attacking Aizen with the giants, which is not shown in the anime.  Momo is Momo, such as she is.  But even in her manipulated victim role, she was prominent role.  Rangiku is a major character with important relationships to Toshiro, Gin, and others, and has lots of screen time and several fights.  Unohana I already mentioned.  The MHA girls haven't gotten a pittance of what I just described.

28 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I don't know what you're talking about.  It was a big moment in the anime, and it was a big moment in the manga.  Certainly not a "simple goodbye" like you are downplaying it.  That arc really doesn't have much difference to it from the manga, either.  And it wasn't just that page. 

Besides that, how much time passes in manga is up to interpretation and the speed the reader chooses or is able to read it, and their imagination.  I will say that part is not much difference between the two.  Obviously time is locked in anime and you can't watch it faster or slower, and expect time is passing 1:1, with exception to simultaneous events and time skips.  Of course, "shonen time" is often at play.

That arc isn't much different in the anime, either, aside from one questionable change and one understandable one. 

In the manga, Kubo keeps teasing the identity of the mystery Soul Reaper, even having them speak, though not showing who it is.  Obviously, in an anime, hearing the person speak would immediately reveal who it is, so the anime just reveals it is Rukia as soon as she speaks.  In the manga, Tsukishima only cuts Ginjo, because he was a bad actor and couldn't convincingly pretend to be Ichigo's friend.  I believe the other Fullbringers are also cut in the anime, which doesn't make sense given Riruka's earlier interactions with characters.

But, I proved you wrong, and now you're just moving the goal posts and twisting, if not outright lying about what happened in the manga, so I'm not sure it's even worth arguing with you.

You are overblowing the amount of filler, as in, if you mean padding to the canon content, it's not that big a difference.  And a lot of cases is an improvement, like showing how Aizen beat all the Soul Reapers, when in the manga it just cuts to the next panel and they're all falling after Aizen reveals he switched places with Momo.

Well, we know Kubo makes all the characters, even the filler ones, so, we know those Zanpakuto spirits are canon, even if those events in the filler arc aren't.  But at the same time, I really don't feel like it is necessary to see the Zanpakuto Arc to understand the Nanao twist.

That isn't minor.  Aizen was the main villain for the majority of the series and plotting behind the scenes for a good while before he revealed himself, and Unohana was the only one who had a clue.  Did any MHA girl do anything remotely this relevant?

I don't know which character you're referring to.  But the point is, by the time the series ended, almost no character got left out.  Everyone got their time in the limelight by the time the series ended.  A lot of series can't even manage that. 

And we are nearing 100 episodes in MHA and I can't say any girl has had the signicance, fight time, plot relevance, to any of the Bleach girls in that same time.  Ichigo and Rukia were partners in battle in the first arc, she gets her powers back and is full fledged member of the team after her rescue, and has multiple featured fights and important moments with various members of the cast.  Yoruichi is an instrumental part of the team and helps train Ichigo, we see her fight and backstory with Soifon.  Kukakku also trained Ichigo and his friends and helped them get into the Seireitei.  In the manga, she actually does more, attacking Aizen with the giants, which is not shown in the anime.  Momo is Momo, such as she is.  But even in her manipulated victim role, she was prominent role.  Rangiku is a major character with important relationships to Toshiro, Gin, and others, and has lots of screen time and several fights.  Unohana I already mentioned.  The MHA girls haven't gotten a pittance of what I just described.

I'm trying to remember what you're even trying to prove me wrong about? Was it that Ichigo and Rukia's relationship is downplayed in the manga compared to the anime which it is; or that the vast majority of female cast are mostly developed in the anime, and don't have much to do in the manga. Because I'm pretty sure I'm right on both accounts. 

"you're over blowing the amount of filler in bleach"

Really? I'll agree that a lot of the filler was an improvement, but my point was that it's not in the manga. It's probably not necessary to watch the rebellion arc to get the twist, though it made a lot more sense if you had watched it.  

At episode 100 in Bleach we were at the point where the Bounts invade the SS. I think by this point the only things that the female cast had done of note was Rukia's early episodes up to being kidnapped and rescued, Kukaku teaches a skill that's only ever used once outside of it being tossed up in filler,   Orihime healed Ichigo, Isane gets gut punched by Ichigo, Unohana suspects trolling is afoot which does nothing really other than make her look more competent than she was in the manga, Momo gets stabbed,  Matsumoto Fights Kira,  Yachiru gets Kenpachi lost, Kiyone says some words, Nanao throws some flowers for her captain's entrance,  and Yoruichi trained Ichigo how to use bankai, and got in a fight with soifon. At episode 100 soifon I think gets into a fight with a bount.   Not saying that MHA's female cast are given the spotlight they deserve, but they're more developed characters at the same mile marker. 

filler.JPG

What do you do when My Hero Academia is 86'ed? Why, you rerun episode 86!

And I haven't heard a peep from FUNimation about 87, so I guess next week we just might get 86 AGAIN!!!

Honestly, though, at this point I feel it might be better for Toonami to mix-it up and give one of those episodes that is currently airing on weekdays and Saturday mornings at 5:30 A threepeat or even 4-peat in the lead timeslot. Perhaps it could be the result of a vote? If they're looking to leave MHA at midnight for the long haul, might be the best way to do it.

Of course I feel at some point they'll drag Dragon Ball Super back out of the vault, though hopefully not the beginning. That kinda bombed at 8:30 PM on Saturday nights at the beginning of the year, though at this point when the networks are all on "survival" mode, it's difficult to even know just what a "bomb" is anymore.

But maybe FUNimation actually does something nice for Toonami for once and lets them have 87 FIRST next week, then debuts both 87 and 88 streaming to finish the series next Sunday. There is a general feeling that they belong together and that would certainly be interesting.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 1

Andy-Dwyer.gif

Time to dance!

tenor.gif

Ugh man if Funimation doesn't make an announcement about 87 soon, I really don't know how much credibility Toonami will have if they just can't think of doing anything but rerun 84 for the third time.

Edited by elfie