UnevenEdge

Can someone plz explain the apeal of HeroAca?

Lytbryt

I tried watching the first season and gave up after 4 episodes I think I dont rmember the last ep I saw was where they meet the school instructor w/ like the bandages? Anyway it wasnt for me I decided and tbh I didnt think it would become as popular as it is I mean its on like season 4 or 5 now? But I cant for the life of me understand what is so appealing about it. The main character Deku is not endearing and neither are any of the side characters in my opinion. None of them really feel fleshed out tall that much and I guess that is a product of them trying to model them after Western comic book superherous? Like not very much depth to them, very one-dimesnional and straight forward but I dont think that translates at all wery well to anime> Like I said IDK maybe someone can convince me otherwise but all I see in this show is bland and uninteresting characters and low stakes unengaging storylines

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • D'oh 1

I’ve only seen the first two seasons, but it reminded me of old Naruto before Shippuden.
Where younger folks could feel inspired seeing an underdog be able to hold his own as a new student at an academy with similar students. There are hot-button rivalries, a cool tournament arc, lessons where everyone’s getting their ass beat trying to find the secret to completing them, and villains plotting to topple the city’s main symbols of hope. 
It’s not sophisticated and there are much better shounen to get into, but you’d have to come in with the mindset of scratching that itch for something similar to the magic older Naruto episodes had in order to see the appeal. 

• Like 1

Because pretty much the entire main cast is eminently likeable, something that precious few shounen manage to pull off?  Because it's an anime take on classic caped heroes, which a ton of people around the world like?  Because it has arguably the most accomplished animation studio in Japan doing the adaptation complete justice?  I mean I don't think it's a complicated formula.

• Thanks 1

I think you just need more episodes to get a better feel for it.  Characters do get fleshed out very well (literally in Deku's case), but it's a slow burn, as long running shounen tend to be.  I wasn't super on board with it early on either, but they've done some amazing things along the way, and I've shed more than a couple tears watching it.  I also enjoy the creative Quirks and how they're used, and it's fun watching Deku use his head when his body isn't up to the task.  I've even grown to like Bakugo, which surprises me.

But it's ok not to like it (do you even like shounen?  Cause it's super shouneny. :)).  I kinda feel the same about One Piece, even while I enjoyed its run on [as].  I sometimes wish I could catch up with it, but I just don't like it enough for that to ever happen.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Idk I watched all of Soul Eater and that wa s like 52 eps and not the greatest but it def held my intrest a lot more than HeroAca I guess the soul world stuff is more interesting than super heroews also I think maybe there are too many characters too keep tracko f

Edited by Lytbryt

Judging from what I've seen, this franchise mostly panders to Marvel and DC Comic fanboys and girls. If you're not a huge fan of superhero characters, it's not necessarily going to resonate with you.

Without a doubt, it surely doesn't resonate with me. Neither do all the gajillion superhero flicks, that Hollywood keeps making.

Edited by PurgatoryGirl
  • Like 1

Mostly the waifu. The plot doesn't really pick up till season 3. Deku the MC doesn't even start to become tolerable till season 4, but that may be because he's barely in it compared to the past seasons, and it focuses a lot on more characters. However If you can't find anything worth watching in the series by the end of season 1, then this absolutely isn't a series you'd enjoy. It picks up some, but you have to be somewhat invested in the plot to want to progress. I've been there with Detective Conan. Watched like 52 episodes, was wondering when the fuck it would get good. Everyone keeps saying it gets better. Quit get kek'd and filterpilled for missing the super special awesome arc that everyone likes. Same shit happened with me watching Hunter X Hunter except I watched all of that and still hated it. Best advice is, that if you don't like something; don't have others explain to you why to like it. Just find something new that you do like and don't spend your time on things you know you'll hate. 

d1f.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lytbryt said:

I tried watching the first season and gave up after 4 episodes I think I dont rmember the last ep I saw was where they meet the school instructor w/ like the bandages? Anyway it wasnt for me I decided and tbh I didnt think it would become as popular as it is I mean its on like season 4 or 5 now? But I cant for the life of me understand what is so appealing about it. The main character Deku is not endearing and neither are any of the side characters in my opinion. None of them really feel fleshed out tall that much and I guess that is a product of them trying to model them after Western comic book superherous? Like not very much depth to them, very one-dimesnional and straight forward but I dont think that translates at all wery well to anime> Like I said IDK maybe someone can convince me otherwise but all I see in this show is bland and uninteresting characters and low stakes unengaging storylines

If you only watched the first 4 episodes, you missed most of the really awesome moments in the anime and a lot of what people love about it.

14 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Mostly the waifu. The plot doesn't really pick up till season 3. Deku the MC doesn't even start to become tolerable till season 4, but that may be because he's barely in it compared to the past seasons, and it focuses a lot on more characters. However If you can't find anything worth watching in the series by the end of season 1, then this absolutely isn't a series you'd enjoy. It picks up some, but you have to be somewhat invested in the plot to want to progress. I've been there with Detective Conan. Watched like 52 episodes, was wondering when the fuck it would get good. Everyone keeps saying it gets better. Quit get kek'd and filterpilled for missing the super special awesome arc that everyone likes. Same shit happened with me watching Hunter X Hunter except I watched all of that and still hated it. Best advice is, that if you don't like something; don't have others explain to you why to like it. Just find something new that you do like and don't spend your time on things you know you'll hate. 

d1f.jpg

I think Deku is alright, and don't mind him as an MC, but in the first season all the crying got very old very fast. Him crying after All Might's big moment of choosing him as a successor I think was alright and understandable, but throughout the rest of season 1 Deku practically pisses himself every time Bakugo rages at him, and when faced with any opposition.

1 hour ago, Fortnite Guy Keanu Reeves said:

I think Deku is alright, and don't mind him as an MC, but in the first season all the crying got very old very fast. Him crying after All Might's big moment of choosing him as a successor I think was alright and understandable, but throughout the rest of season 1 Deku practically pisses himself every time Bakugo rages at him, and when faced with any opposition.

I didn't really start to care much for Deku till season 3. He still cried in it, but there were more worthy crying moments like breaking all of his limbs fighting muscular; or his hero saving them to fight All for one etc. Compared to what he'd cry about in season 1 and 2 those were at least manageable moments. Though that season also had him crying over nothing a lot as well. Season 2 I think gets far too much hype over nothing. People talk about it as if it were the Chunin exams. Except it was life and death in the chunin exams. In the sports festival it was class pride and a student internship shadowing program on the line, oh god the suspense.  Season 1 though was just not good for pacing. Really you could just go into the last few episodes of it for the league of villains fight and you wouldn't miss much, especially because of all the flashbacks that happen. 

1572363378825.gif

50 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I didn't really start to care much for Deku till season 3. He still cried in it, but there were more worthy crying moments like breaking all of his limbs fighting muscular; or his hero saving them to fight All for one etc. Compared to what he'd cry about in season 1 and 2 those were at least manageable moments. Though that season also had him crying over nothing a lot as well. Season 2 I think gets far too much hype over nothing. People talk about it as if it were the Chunin exams. Except it was life and death in the chunin exams. In the sports festival it was class pride and a student internship shadowing program on the line, oh god the suspense.  Season 1 though was just not good for pacing. Really you could just go into the last few episodes of it for the league of villains fight and you wouldn't miss much, especially because of all the flashbacks that happen. 

1572363378825.gif

Really? No Stain Arc? The arc that kicked off the conflict into full force?

But yeah I can't name any other anime where all the girls in it are automatically best girls.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, elfie said:

Really? No Stain Arc? The arc that kicked off the conflict into full force?

But yeah I can't name any other anime where all the girls in it are automatically best girls.

I didn't like stain, he really needed some more build up as the hero killer before he jobbed to some kids. MHA did good with the girls in actually giving them all personality. You don't really have any characters that feel like they're a copy of another character in a different skin. You run into that some in Naurto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, DXD, etc. 

7fa.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The true appeal?

For Americans, it hits the same sweet spot as one of the most popular cartoons of the 90’s -

Likable characters 

Longform, compelling storytelling 

Colorful art and animation

And it creates something that not only sticks, but makes people want to see what happens next.

• Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, Top Gun said:

I mean that most recent episode with Mirio was shounen at its absolute best. Dire stakes, big emotions, heartfelt heroic speeches, frenetic action, just fantastic stuff. 

Pretty much. If you don't like MHA you just don't like Shonen really.

38 minutes ago, Gina Szanboti said:

For reasons that utterly escape me, my favorite character has become Yuga Aoyama.  I guess he won me over during the licensing test (or whatever that big competition arc was).  There's just something about that little v smile that gets me. ^_^

170918491-352-k234369.jpg.a14ef0c709b2abde8a109351625305b4.jpg

Yuga was the first student in Deku's class that he even met.

3 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

For reasons that utterly escape me, my favorite character has become Yuga Aoyama.  I guess he won me over during the licensing test (or whatever that big competition arc was).  There's just something about that little v smile that gets me. ^_^

Oh mannnn. He's tied for worst character with Mineta. He had ONE good moment =P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Gina Szanboti said:

I like him because he's so extra. He's not one of my top favorite but he's okay. 

• Like 1