UnevenEdge

Toonami Unevenedge Ratings Discussion 3.0: Let The Good Times Roll!!!!!

Weekly numbers are out:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1

Fooly Cooly: Grunge landed a 0.093 in 18-49 and 189K viewers overall (but we already knew that) in Week 2.

So that means so far FLCL: GRUNGE has averaged 198K and 0.0895 in 18-49. Will tomorrow night's finale push it over 200K and 0.09 18-49? We shall see!

Well...

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/09/tv-ratings-for-saturday-23rd-september.html?m=1

With a 2-week average of 198K leading into the finale of FLCL: Grunge, last week’s episode was just slightly higher at 199K, making the mini-series average 198,333. On to Shoegaze!!

The rest of the lineup did pretty decent too, as both One Pieces and the 1:30 Naruto Shippuden made the Top 50.

4 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Can’t believe we have to pencil down Grunge as a success. 3 for 3 on passable viewership. I hope at the very least Shoegaze does better so Demarco doesn’t get the wrong idea that making cheap CGI garbage is a good thing people want more of. 

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-400-cable-shows-week-ending-26th_01602488462.html?m=1

Fooly Cooly got #207 and a 0.092 with adults 18-49, which with the earlier 0.0895 over 2 episodes means it most certainly beat 0.09, averaging 0.090333.

All the other premieres made the Top 400 too!

3 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Linear cable numbers are so low it's hard to think about any of it as a success.

Let's see those HBO Max numbers. That's the litmus test.

Well they’re now legally obligated to give out those numbers.

Fun times are about to be had by statisticians, less so by executives.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Linear cable numbers are so low it's hard to think about any of it as a success.

Let's see those HBO Max numbers. That's the litmus test.

I mean just from a Toonami specific perspective. Last year we saw HCC completely bomb after its first episode. Grunge didn’t blow the lid off anything, but its viewership stayed fairly consistent and was slightly over the average we expect for the block in late 2023. Can’t ask for much more from a show these days. 

• Thanks 1

Wow, that 2nd episode did poorly, a 146K and 0.05 in 18-49, but on the whole, HCC didn't do THAT bad, averaging 188,500 viewers and a 0.0825 in 18-49, buoyed mainly by a blockbuster first episode that hit 247K and a 0.12 in 18-49. Grunge, however, did better on average and was indeed more consistent. While HCC ranged 101K and 0.07 in 18-49, all 3 premiere episodes of Grunge hit a rounded 0.09, varying 0.007, and only 18K viewers separated the best and worst episodes.

Meanwhile, Demon Slayer over the weekend was #7 on the Netflix Top 10 which is good because the new Castlevania series apparently sucks ass.  We’ll see how the audience reacts to Shoegaze but I point this out because Demon Slayer wasn’t a big show for Toonami, then Netflix airs it, supercharged the Mugen Train release, and that was arguably the beginning of the end for Toonami as a major player.

I guess there’s the Rick and Morty anime but that’s basically a curio for people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Relevant X-Post of an X Post:

Don't want to click and go to the hellhole formerly known as Twitter? Don't blame ya--see below:

"My Adventures with Superman ranked #1 in its timeslot among Men 18-34 and is the #2 highest-rated original freshman series for the network this year among Adults 18-49 and 18-34 and among Men 18-49 and 18-34."

I have been fearing that one week the consistent success of FLCL would fail and the lineup would tank, BUT THAT AIN'T THIS WEEK!!

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/10/tv-ratings-for-saturday-7th-october-2023.html?m=1

Boom!! Episode 2 of Shoegaze hit 0.13 in 18-49, checking in at #21 with 245K viewers, while the One Pieces were #30-#31 with 0.11 and 180K and 178K, which are the highest numbers the Pirate Power Hour has done since starting at 12:30. Even the Shippudens didn't do too shabby, though one did miss the Top 50.

New update for Top 200 Cable Reruns just hit the site, and an episode of King Of The Hill made it on Friday Night/Saturday Morning at 5 AM, supposedly after the Rick & Morty marathon:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/03/top-200-cable-reruns-week-ending-26th_01243089880.html?m=1

Good grief!

Perhaps more appropriately to the T.U.R.D., the R&M immediately prior to Toonami hit the Top 10 at #6 and delivered an impressive 0.175 in 18-49 and 321K total viewers as the lead-in to the block.

And it turns out FLCL dropped considerably, 0.047 in 18-49 and 76K total viewers.

Didn't know where else to put this, but you know how Discovery's been weirdly cropping older shows?

Well it looks like American Dad's showing in uncropped 4:3. The source clearly looks SD so it's not a remastered thing either.

EDIT: Just saw a Checkered Past promo with an uncropped shot from Courage. Dope.

Edited by MasqueradeOverture
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Didn't know where else to put this, but you know how Discovery's been weirdly cropping older shows?

Well it looks like American Dad's showing in uncropped 4:3. The source clearly looks SD so it's not a remastered thing either.

EDIT: Just saw a Checkered Past promo with an uncropped shot from Courage. Dope.

Stuff has been weird the past few weeks. Going from stretched, to cropped to cropped a different way to what I believe is now the correct way. Hopefully they stop messing with it now that it’s right. 

• Thanks 1

Pluto hit Netflix today and is apparently considered a triumph, but I still feel like if Mike Lazzo was around, he would have done his damndest to get it for Toonami.

Edit - Odds are they wouldn’t have been able to afford Keith David for the dub.

Edited by Jman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, OwlChemist81 said:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/11/tv-ratings-for-saturday-11th-november.html?m=1

Decent numbers for the big night, but too big a drop from one Demon Slayer to the other.

Idk about that. With no other context, yea it’s decent, or more like average. But considering this is the show we sacrificed the quality of the block for 10 months for? Those numbers are garbage. The midnight FLCL rerun 2 weeks ago got 200/0.09. This is barely better and probably has 3-4 acquired shows worth of budget sunk into it. 

Age? Popularity? Demarco telling people it would never air? Combination of them all? Whatever the case, they gambled hard on this and it looks like they only stand to break even. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So not much better than FLCLs unless it gains in the coming weeks. Money well spent huh?

Considering that Swordsmith Village aired on Netflix last month, and as noted before, utterly clobbered that piece of shit Castlevania Nocturne show, it’s pretty clear that a lot of people just didn’t want to wait.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jman said:

Considering that Swordsmith Village aired on Netflix last month, and as noted before, utterly clobbered that piece of shit Castlevania Nocturne show, it’s pretty clear that a lot of people just didn’t want to wait.

I don’t think it’s a matter of people wanting to wait. Demarco told everyone multiple times it was never going to happen. At that point, not watching it is just being foolish, what are you even waiting for?

The Toonami audience has always been pretty loyal to a show running on the block. If we weren’t repeatedly told it was never going to happen, I think a lot of people would have backlogged it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Abysmal. Demarco is gonna have some explaining to do to the higher ups about why they had to bend over backwards to secure this pickup. 

You can always blame Netflix, since that’s where everyone who didn’t have Crunchyroll seemed to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Demarco already has to bend over backwards for Zaslav’s tiny cock up his ass when they book a hotel room in Atlanta together.

Well, the budget for it had to come from somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Jman said:

You can always blame Netflix, since that’s where everyone who didn’t have Crunchyroll seemed to watch it.

Nah, I’m gonna blame Demarco for telling everyone it would never air while simultaneously looking for any viable option to get it on the block. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

All premieres over 130K isn't "abysmal", but I WOULD classify it as "meh."

For 12a it is. I’m looking at the list, and that marks the 7th lowest lead in in the blocks history. 

If it was a lesser show I wouldn’t even blink about it, but this is one of biggest shows of the decade and was at one point so expensive the block couldn’t even air it. Now it’s on, at great sacrifice, and is kinda shitting the bed. 

2 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

For 12a it is. I’m looking at the list, and that marks the 7th lowest lead in in the blocks history. 

If it was a lesser show I wouldn’t even blink about it, but this is one of biggest shows of the decade and was at one point so expensive the block couldn’t even air it. Now it’s on, at great sacrifice, and is kinda shitting the bed. 

What was the worst lead in history?

1 hour ago, PokeNirvash said:

Not only was it the first time Toonami dipped below 100k, but every show that night held the dishonor of doing so. I like to believe this played a role in Crunchyroll's hesitancy at supporting a season 2 and Zaslavs'/his bookkeepers' decision to ax the show outright.

I don’t believe that was the case for Blade Runner so much as this - 

I also remember the show having the extremely bad luck of premiering right after Arcane changed the game for 3DCG.

10 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Not only was it the first time Toonami dipped below 100k, but every show that night held the dishonor of doing so. I like to believe this played a role in Crunchyroll's hesitancy at supporting a season 2 and Zaslavs'/his bookkeepers' decision to ax the show outright.

No, we had a few shows prior to that fall under 100k. But we are talking 95-99k at 3-4am so not a huge deal as 80k at what I believe was 10pm.

That marathon was destined for disaster. It slid Toonami way forward on the schedule into primetime and Family Guy had just left a gaping void on the network. Add on that Fena was incredibly boring and you have a recipe for a night no one wanted to tune in for. If nothing else, it showed Zaslav these shows have almost no value as reruns. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Numbers from last weekend finally in:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2023/11/tv-ratings-for-saturday-25th-november.html?m=1

Demon Slayer did pretty good, but then Dr. Stone kinda dropped the ball after that. All premieres made the Top 50 but Shippuden, all the same.

Once again, a gaping hole is poked in the “holidays are bad for ratings” argument. 

Are Demon Slayer and Dr Stone just not a good match? I guess tone wise they are pretty far apart from each other, but even still that’s a pretty sizable drop from 12 to 12:30. 

• Confused 1