UnevenEdge

FOOTBALL 2018: THE UN-TRUMPENING

1pooh4u

15 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

McCarthy going to Cleveland would be scary.

I wonder if he will go to Jets, Giants or Buffalo.

Maybe the 49ers even.

I hope Jets get him. we need an offensive coach for a change but I don’t think he’ll come to NY

Edited by 1pooh4u
  • Like 1

Does your team need an "offensive genius" with a scheme that involves routes that take way too long to develop where no one ever gets open and forcing the QB to scramble and then make a miracle throw? Do you want a "highly successful NFL coach" who has an abysmal record when a HOF QB isn't playing? A coach who reinvents his offense into the exact same offense after losing seasons? Is your dream coach a two-time Madden champ who absolutely hates running the ball except on third and long? Does the thought of having a RB who averages 7 yards a carry all season long and never giving him more than 10 touches a game make sense to you? Does your QB repeatedly yelling "stupid fucking play call" intrigue you? Are you excited for opposing players to describe your offense as predictable? Do you long for a head coach to consistently mismanage timeouts and challenges on an almost weekly basis? Do you find not having a neck sexy?

Then Mike McCarthy might be the right coach for you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh wow the raiders almost beat the chiefs. not really, but any defense that lets the raiders score 33 points is a really bad one. that will be the reason the chiefs will lose in the playoffs. on the other hand, the cardinals won today which give the raiders the top chance of getting that #1 pick. lots of crazy upsets today. as nice as it is to watch these bottom feeder teams still fighting and not laying down, it absolutely destroyed me in all of my pick em pools. even the jets had me believing they could upset!

and they finally fired mcCarthy after another season of missing the playoffs. joe philbin will be coaching for the remainder of the year. and now the packers are joining the tank. you gotta wonder what they will do next? 

If you want MM as your coach, either you hate yourself or you haven't been watching the Packers the past 4 or so years. He's never been a great coach and he's been absolute dogshit lately. He was never a good coordinator either. He's worked with some great QBs and they always seemed to be better after he left.

• Like 1

I would be surprised if the next Packers HC isn't either John DeFilippo or Josh McDaniels. DeFilippo was OC under Mike Pettine in Cleveland, and the Packers really want to keep Pettine as DC. If Brian Gutekunst had gotten the 9ers GM job, he was set to hire McDaniels so he could also be in the running. Matt LaFleur is kind of intriguing having worked under both Shanahan and McVay. Whoever they hire, can't be worse than McCarthy.

Edited by panic

i gotta agree. mike is garbage. i wont criticize him for not winning more super bowls, those things are very hard to win even when you have hof talent in your teams. but  he's shown enough blunders these past four seasons when rodgers missed a lot of playing time due to injuries. his overall record and super bowl win will get him another job tho. 

Cleveland seems like the most likely place being that they're run by former Packers executives and they have a young QB.

I have a feeling whatever Cincinnati does at HC this offseason is going to be bad. Would be hilarious if they gave the job to Hue Jackson. Poor Ohio.

23 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Consider me corrected, and not just because the incident involves a man.  Clearly, there's a history of violence there that overwrites a one time reaction to a racist term.

Unfortunately, this is just another reminder that football and CTE is slowly turning young men into monsters.

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

Consider me corrected, and not just because the incident involves a man.  Clearly, there's a history of violence there that overwrites a one time reaction to a racist term.

Unfortunately, this is just another reminder that football and CTE is slowly turning young men into monsters.

CTE is fucked up and I hate to say this, but no way he doesn’t have it already. 

I’m also still unable to find why he hit the woman. If she dropped an n bomb I can get snapping and reacting before you can think. 

I’m pretty much of the mind that no trained athlete should hit a civilian. Certainly not a football player.  You can accidentally kill someone. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

CTE is fucked up and I hate to say this, but no way he doesn’t have it already. 

I’m also still unable to find why he hit the woman. If she dropped an n bomb I can get snapping and reacting before you can think. 

I’m pretty much of the mind that no trained athlete should hit a civilian. Certainly not a football player.  You can accidentally kill someone. 

It is fucked up.  The sad thing is that I've encountered quite a few football players in non football settings, and the thought of seeing those guy being treated like loaded weapons just breaks my heart.  True story:  the starting center on the '96 team was in my Intermediate Fiction Writing class, and he wrote this story that was haunting.  In it, the football player is going about his life and it seems like he's doing ok, but the last scene is of the player running up to the top of the stands and jumping off.  I just checked Wikipedia, and he's still alive, so it's not a tragedy yet.  But, that story has stuck with me for all these years.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scoobdog said:

It is fucked up.  The sad thing is that I've encountered quite a few football players in non football settings, and the thought of seeing those guy being treated like loaded weapons just breaks my heart.  True story:  the starting center on the '96 team was in my Intermediate Fiction Writing class, and he wrote this story that was haunting.  In it, the football player is going about his life and it seems like he's doing ok, but the last scene is of the player running up to the top of the stands and jumping off.  I just checked Wikipedia, and he's still alive, so it's not a tragedy yet.  But, that story has stuck with me for all these years.

Wow. Damn 

• Like 1

I guess I've always been somewhat aware that football was causing problems, but none of it really made sense until everyone started to be aware of concussions and the damage they have done.  I also met Junior Seau at a USC HoF event, and he was the nicest guy you could ever meet.  That death really brought the point home:  it wasn't just violent players being destroyed by CTE, it was pretty much all of them.

Not to slight the woman that was victimized in this attack:  it wasn't her fault she was attacked and there is no way to quantify the kind of psychological damage she took because of it.

• Like 1

The NFL shouldn’t have lied to the players. They tried to cover up and downplay CTE.   The NFL took away the players ability to make an informed decision about playing the game. People say they’re over paid. The risk of CTE is why I don’t think they are. That’s a huge sacrifice just to entertain assholes like us. 

• Like 2

Just now, 1pooh4u said:

The NFL shouldn’t have lied to the players. They tried to cover up and downplay CTE.   The NFL took away the players ability to make an informed decision about playing the game. People say they’re over paid. The risk of CTE is why I don’t think they are. That’s a huge sacrifice just to entertain assholes like us. 

I'm with you.

• Like 1

the nfl is really a joke. 

this year they made the rule where they are over protecting qb's with how hard you can hit them, but everyone else is pretty much fair game. you see it all the time, countless players making some very dangerous hits that result in obvious concussions. im not saying that we should turn this sport into flag football, but there are certain types of hits that are much more dangerous than other. the nfl could easily implement  rules to greatly limit those hits if they cared about the safety and well being of their players. instead they have this concussion protocol that is never taken seriously. the sad part is that we can only learn about who has cte only after the person has died. but the odds are good if you get a lot of concussions then you have a higher chance of having cte. 

i don't have any issue with them getting paid a lot, or any other athlete for that matter. they all help entertain the world and deserve a part of the pie from the money they help make. its part of the reason i hate the ncaa. all the athletes are workers and the compensation they get in the form of a free scholarship is pittance. 

1 hour ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Mark Sahchez recovered a fumble

With his Butt

........we are in a simulation. :RoboTeeth::RoboTeeth:

i couldnt believe my eyes, how the fuck is sanchez still in the nfl? whats the last time he was active? the man was just all around terrible to see. this is another good example of how small the pool of good quarterbacks is. there was a qb available last season that was better than him, but because he stood up for something he believed in, he is no longer playing in the nfl.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Mark Sanchez still being in the NFL when Kaepernick isn’t, is proof of how fucked up they all are. 

Hey!  >:(

No, you're right.  The sad part is that Kapernick is losing out while he's in his prime just because the NFL owners are a bunch of cowards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Hey!  >:(

No, you're right.  The sad part is that Kapernick is losing out while he's in his prime just because the NFL owners are a bunch of cowards.

I’m really surprised they still won’t touch him. Not fair. 

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

I’m really surprised they still won’t touch him. Not fair. 

I'm not.  Trump won't let Kaepernick "disappear" long enough for someone to get him on their team on the DL.  I don't believe for a minute the NFL gives a rats ass about the "Star Spangled Banner", but they're already dealing with negative publicity due to CTE and Domestic Violence, so there's little incentive to fight on a third front as it were.  The reality is that America is losing its taste for the sport, and Kaepernick is as much a victim of that as he is anything to directly related to his kneeling.

and now they hired a guy named josh johnson. a man who last threw an nfl pass in 2011. this is only going to help kapernicks case against the nfl. the redskins of course gave the bullshit excuse of not being able to utilize kapernicks skillset because its so late in the season as oppose to week 1. i hope collin wins and sticks it to the owners. 

i was only able to watch a few highlights from last night game but the jags are trash. i dont know what happened between last season and now but they really suck all around. they should just blow it all up, that team is done.

titans got the win they need to stay in the crowded wild card race. the ravens hold that last spot. the ravens have been hot but have two brutal away games against the chargers and chiefs, . the broncos have the easiest remaining schedule with a home game against the chargers as their only tough game left. i could see the dolphins going 2-2 which should eliminate them. and the last team is the colts who have been hot recently but have the toughest schedule of the remaining wild card hopefuls. 

Here's the most comprehensive information to date on the Hunt incident.  It adds context immediately before and after the security footage, but doesn't clear everything up.  From all indications, Ottinger was the instigator, and it also seems pretty clear that Hunt's reaction was grossly disproportionate to whatever Ottinger did.  Curiously enough, there doesn't appear to be any mention of Ottinger being asked to sleep with any of Hunt's friends, although this was mentioned previously as Ottinger's side of the story.  Also of note, Ottinger was apparently drunk despite being underage.  It looks to be that this was a situation where alcohol made a problematic situation into a bad one when Hunt escalated it by shoving Ottinger.

• Like 1

i didn't watch much football during the weekend but holy shit the miami miracle will be remembered for years to come. the best part was of course gronk throwing himself trying to make that tackle at the end. i know many blame bill for that but the odds of a successful lateral play is extremely low, almost nill. really it should be the defense people should blame for that bad tackling. 

anyways lots of key wins and losses this week, chiefs get the separation they need to keep home field advantage. even without hunt or watkins, they manage to score just fine. the ravens lost as well but still in control of the wild card spot and only half a game behind the steelers for winning the division. the steelers lost hurts a lot since they have the tougher remaining schedule of the two teams and couldnt afford to drop a game against the 2-10 raiders and now they are in danger of missing the playoffs entirely! the pats loss puts them well behind the chiefs for hfa throughout the playoffs and now they have to win out or hope the texans lose more games than them just to keep their 2nd seed. texans loss was huge since this might have been their best chance on getting the 2nd seed. dolphins win gets them tied with 3 other 7-6 teams, the ravens, colts, and titans. the broncos are pretty much out now so they arent in the conversation lol. 

on the nfc side the rams loss gave back the #1 seed to the saints. the bears and the cowboys get some room for their division lead. bears are dominant on defense but their offense needs lots of work. and the cowboys look like a completely different team than the one from 4 weeks ago. their defense has really picked up and the amari trade has been working out really good for them. it will be a huge game for the vikings today, with a win they get the cushion they need to stay ahead for that last wild card spot. if they lose they will still have a half a game lead over three other teams for that last wild card spot. and somehow the packers will only be one game behind with a vikings loss today. the packers need to get a huge upset over the bears and win out and get some help from the dolphins, seahawks, and lions to get in. the panthers play the saints twice more and the eagles have both the rams and texans. the skins have mark sanchez which is the football equivalent of waiving the white flag. 

its looking like a pretty exciting ending to the season with lots of important games these next 3 weeks. 

4 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

@Ginguy I thought there were some Saturday games this week. Jets are playing on Saturday definitely and I think the Broncos 

doesn’t matter just sayin

Oh, yeah I just now noticed that, good catch.

I think @scoobdog is the only regular player who hasn't made picks yet, so Scoob pick before Saturday.

Well, really pick before tonight.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ginguy said:

Oh, yeah I just now noticed that, good catch.

I think @scoobdog is the only regular player who hasn't made picks yet, so Scoob pick before Saturday.

Well, really pick before tonight.

Yeah there’s still a game tonight. I thought they stopped tnf at this point. Lol they always change stuff around 😆🤷‍♀️😆

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Chargers are looking really good.  I mean, they started looking good at the end of last season, but they've really gone all out.

I friggin' knew the Chargers could beat KC.  Without Hunt Mahomes has one less reliable way to get down the field.

I'm not sayin it's hurting them 100%, but against the Chargers, most definitely

23 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I friggin' knew the Chargers could beat KC.  Without Hunt Mahomes has one less reliable way to get down the field.

I'm not sayin it's hurting them 100%, but against the Chargers, most definitely

Mahomes just lacks the experience Phillip Rivers has.  Rivers was also without a running back, but if you give him enough time back there he can make anything happen.

12 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Mahomes just lacks the experience Phillip Rivers has.  Rivers was also without a running back, but if you give him enough time back there he can make anything happen.

I wasn’t happy with the KC defense last night.  

Just now, 1pooh4u said:

I wasn’t happy with the KC defense last night.  

Well, that last two-point was most likely a gaff by the DC, and they would never have been in that situation if Mahomes had gotten them further down the field before that last three and out.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Well, that last two-point was most likely a gaff by the DC, and they would never have been in that situation if Mahomes had gotten them further down the field before that last three and out.

That game was killing me 😆

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Smmfh I was gonna pick LAC over KC. Never go against the gut 🤦‍♀️💩

chargers were good last year as well just that many of their losses were by a field goal or less. this year they seemed to have gotten better in most aspects of their game. they still need to improve special teams but this year it hasnt hinder them as much as in the past. the chiefs are a really great team still, despite not having their star running back. their problem on defense however, has never been fixed. 

chiefs should still end up with the #1 seed but as long as their defense remains terrible then they will get beaten by well rounded teams. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Distortedreasoning said:

chargers were good last year as well just that many of their losses were by a field goal or less. this year they seemed to have gotten better in most aspects of their game. they still need to improve special teams but this year it hasnt hinder them as much as in the past. the chiefs are a really great team still, despite not having their star running back. their problem on defense however, has never been fixed. 

chiefs should still end up with the #1 seed but as long as their defense remains terrible then they will get beaten by well rounded teams. 

You’re exactly right. That’s what happened in this game for sure 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

You’re exactly right. That’s what happened in this game for sure 

which makes me happy cuz i have an uncle thats a chiefs fan that talks a lot of shit so seeing them lose in the playoffs is gonna be oh so nice. seeing the pats lose will also bring a smile to my face. now if only the cowboys can somehow bring false hope to their fans only to have them choke in the playoffs. is that asking for too much? :D