UnevenEdge

DeMarco deconfirms more shows, admits One Piece bombed.

Jman

Well, I get why One Piece was cost-prohibitive. FUNimation and TOEI were probably only selling it in "seasons", and it just wasn't justifying the astronomical cost of picking up an entire season. OP on [as] got 3 seasons on Toonami, and a total of well over 150 episodes. Each season is probably a block of 52ish episodes, and at least we got Foxy, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Accino Family, and Thriller Bark. That's quite a lot.

Also, I think we'll still see new seasons of stuff like AOT, One-Punch Man, Lupin, and of course, JoJo and Gundam. The reason Toonami chooses to stick with a few key franchises is it's much easier to work with the same Japanese companies over and over than it is different Japanese companies, and once you've got an "in", you've got an "in." Getting shows on the air in the U.S. isn't as easy as going to their American distributors (e.g.: Viz, Funimation, etc.); you often have to go back to the Japanese companies and make agreements with them too, and that's probably the main reason why shows such as My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, and Ancient Magus Bride are off-limits right now, not so much competition with other American streaming distributors like Netflix and Hulu. But it is kinda weird that Sentai, which aired shows on Toonami during arguably one of their hottest periods in late 2015 and early 2016, hasn't had much to do with them since the Children Who Chase Lost Voices DST special event and has opted for the mind-boggling confines of Anime Strike instead. Probably the only worse thing you can do for your shows than airing them on TV in the dead of a Saturday night is getting them stuck behind a DOUBLE pay wall. But I digress.

The question is, would Toonami, who hasn't dealt with Aniplex since acquiring the rights to SAO II, pick up Season 3? I would definitely say if Hulu really is ALREADY done with Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga (wasn't streaming in November) and it shows up at 1:30 next year to replace Lupin the 3rd, then that's a sign that Toonami is back on with Aniplex and properties in Japan it has previously worked with, and Season 3 is indeed on the way, but even if that doesn't happen it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. With SAO II doing gangbusters after the modest success of the first season of SAO, I'd say they'd be nuts to pass it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The One Piece response is what I expected. After all, only being able to pick up a large batch of episodes or so isn't optimal if your show is barely clinging to life.

Now, no Mob and no MHA. I guess that's typical. But I find Magus' Bride's situation to be odd, as it's only been out for a few months and you'd think that, with a SimulDub, if any interested party wanted to air it on TV, it'd be an easy shot. And there's no logical reason to sit on the TV rights, either... if the show even has them. I wonder if those are no longer given in the base package for a show. After all, most foreign distributors must assume their programs are going right to streaming in wherever they end up, so cutting out an option for the boob tube saves money.

Regarding Al's Sentai comment, I guess their relationship with Toonami has quietly collapsed, and I think that's a shame. They had two shows that did well (Akame still has the second-highest pure ratings total for the revived block), and the Shinkai movie must have been given to Toonami for insanely cheap if not free, which would be a huge sign of trust. It is true that they haven't had as many prime action show targets lately, but Made in Abyss should be coming up in their release pipeline somewhat soon, and that one deserves to be considered if TV rights are available.

9 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

The question is, would Toonami, who hasn't dealt with Aniplex since acquiring the rights to SAO II, pick up Season 3? I would definitely say if Hulu really is ALREADY done with Blue Exorcist Kyoto Saga (wasn't streaming in November) and it shows up at 1:30 next year to replace Lupin the 3rd, then that's a sign that Toonami is back on with Aniplex and properties in Japan it has previously worked with, and Season 3 is indeed on the way, but even if that doesn't happen it's not necessarily a deal-breaker. With SAO II doing gangbusters after the modest success of the first season of SAO, I'd say they'd be nuts to pass it up.

I've no doubt Toonami is definitely going to try for SAO III. Whether or not the get it is questionable.  They have precedence for it, due to airing the first two seasons, but I could also see Aniplex going and immediately putting it on a streaming service instead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Because your average anime fan has abysmal fucking taste?

Yet one piece has ecchi and harem so were did that lead? Also bleach had ecchi moments Naruto has a bunch thanks to sexy & reverse harem jutsu 

So explain the shit taste?

Edited by Misaka
Chrome keyboard is horrible

10 hours ago, CaptainStarwind said:

I've no doubt Toonami is definitely going to try for SAO III. Whether or not the get it is questionable.  They have precedence for it, due to airing the first two seasons, but I could also see Aniplex going and immediately putting it on a streaming service instead.

I think they'll air Alicization, I'm just curious if they're also gonna air the alt GGO show too.

3 hours ago, Misaka said:

Yet one piece has ecchi and harem so were did that lead? Also bleach had ecchi moments Naruto has a bunch thanks to sexy & reverse harem jutsu 

So explain the shit taste?

None of those are remotely "ecchi" shows.  The odd pair of big tits or throwaway creepy old man in a completely action-adventure series doesn't magically change the genre.  (And harems in One Piece? Where are you seeing that?)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

None of those are remotely "ecchi" shows.  The odd pair of big tits or throwaway creepy old man in a completely action-adventure series doesn't magically change the genre.  (And harems in One Piece? Where are you seeing that?)

Enough to made me drop it to much man service 

On 12/14/2017 at 12:05 PM, Jman said:

2 things

1. Moose must be having a berzerker mode freak-out wherever he is right now

and

2. sadly Akame Ga Kill DID do well....I dunno if that's just because teens fell for the tryhard amount of gore and completely unneccesary deaths and mistook it for being cool, or because, Tidal wave of Clichee's aside, it wasn't "unwatchable" just extremely extremely clichee'd, much like Black Clover......however Black Clover seems to somehow not have the same hold on any kind of fanbase that AGK had

lusciousnet_akame-ga-kill-esdeath-o_9673

BOiNG.

Also I think Akame gets a bit of a bad rap. It's not THAT cliche. It's basically a Shonen where almost everyone dies, including the main character. Did Naruto let Naruto die? Is MHA going to let Deku die? Does anyone think Asta is going to die in Black Clover? There's no way. Despite a few tropes and cliches it's actually a fairly unique anime. It's just a bit rushed for all the stuff they wanted to do with the two separate groups each with their own members and different motivations.

Plus in the manga young girls get raped and torn apart by wild dogs. That's not much of a cliche.

Part of the reason Akame didn't do well in Japan is they killed off main characters, and Japan absolutely hates that. Manga writers get constant negative feedback and are pressured to "bring back" characters that people like even if its detrimental to the story. 

Now Black Clover... is cliche.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Top Gun said:

Akame had just about the worst writing I've seen in any work of fiction.  The fact that people were actually paid to make it is staggeringly depressing.

As terrible as Akame ga Kill is, it isn't even a blip on the radar in comparison to the pinnacle of terrible that is King's Game.

3 hours ago, Daos said:

lusciousnet_akame-ga-kill-esdeath-o_9673

BOiNG.

Also I think Akame gets a bit of a bad rap. It's not THAT cliche. It's basically a Shonen where almost everyone dies, including the main character. Did Naruto let Naruto die? Is MHA going to let Deku die? Does anyone think Asta is going to die in Black Clover? There's no way. Despite a few tropes and cliches it's actually a fairly unique anime. It's just a bit rushed for all the stuff they wanted to do with the two separate groups each with their own members and different motivations.

Plus in the manga young girls get raped and torn apart by wild dogs. That's not much of a cliche.

Part of the reason Akame didn't do well in Japan is they killed off main characters, and Japan absolutely hates that. Manga writers get constant negative feedback and are pressured to "bring back" characters that people like even if its detrimental to the story. 

Now Black Clover... is cliche.

the Protagonist didn't die......who's name is in the title?

hint: it's not Tatsumi

Edited by mochi
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2017 at 1:13 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, I get why One Piece was cost-prohibitive. FUNimation and TOEI were probably only selling it in "seasons", and it just wasn't justifying the astronomical cost of picking up an entire season. OP on [as] got 3 seasons on Toonami, and a total of well over 150 episodes. Each season is probably a block of 52ish episodes, and at least we got Foxy, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Accino Family, and Thriller Bark. That's quite a lot.

Also, I think we'll still see new seasons of stuff like AOT, One-Punch Man, Lupin, and of course, JoJo and Gundam. The reason Toonami chooses to stick with a few key franchises is it's much easier to work with the same Japanese companies over and over than it is different Japanese companies, and once you've got an "in", you've got an "in." Getting shows on the air in the U.S. isn't as easy as going to their American distributors (e.g.: Viz, Funimation, etc.); you often have to go back to the Japanese companies and make agreements with them too, and that's probably the main reason why shows such as My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, and Ancient Magus Bride are off-limits right now, not so much competition with other American streaming distributors like Netflix and Hulu. But it is kinda weird that Sentai, which aired shows on Toonami during arguably one of their hottest periods in late 2015 and early 2016, hasn't had much to do with them since the Children Who Chase Lost Voices DST special event and has opted for the mind-boggling confines of Anime Strike instead. Probably the only worse thing you can do for your shows than airing them on TV in the dead of a Saturday night is getting them stuck behind a DOUBLE pay wall. But I digress.

From the beginning they said they were paying for shows by the episode.  Don't know if this changed later on.  Either way, One Piece wasn't justifying the costs to keep it on the air, clearly.  And yeah 150 episodes is not bad.  Can't say One Piece didn't get a second chance.

Not really sure where you're getting some of this from, especially when there's public information to contradict it.  Those shows definitely ARE off-limits due to having exclusivity on certain streaming platforms.  That doesn't just mean it can't be on another streaming service.  It can't be anywhere else period.  It has nothing to do with this Japanese company nonsense you just pulled out of your ass.  Now, they probably do have to negotiate with them in some cases to a certain degree, and we know this happened with Gundam.  You are right that it's easier to continue a business relationship than make a new one, regardless of who they are working with, American, or Japanese.  They perhaps haven't been interested in anything Sentai has as of late, or other shows took precedence.  Don't read too much into things.  And what is Anime Strike?

The Aniplex gap isn't anything to read into either, and I can assure you SAO III is coming! :) 

On 12/14/2017 at 11:01 PM, Blatch said:

The One Piece response is what I expected. After all, only being able to pick up a large batch of episodes or so isn't optimal if your show is barely clinging to life.

Now, no Mob and no MHA. I guess that's typical. But I find Magus' Bride's situation to be odd, as it's only been out for a few months and you'd think that, with a SimulDub, if any interested party wanted to air it on TV, it'd be an easy shot. And there's no logical reason to sit on the TV rights, either... if the show even has them. I wonder if those are no longer given in the base package for a show. After all, most foreign distributors must assume their programs are going right to streaming in wherever they end up, so cutting out an option for the boob tube saves money.

Regarding Al's Sentai comment, I guess their relationship with Toonami has quietly collapsed, and I think that's a shame. They had two shows that did well (Akame still has the second-highest pure ratings total for the revived block), and the Shinkai movie must have been given to Toonami for insanely cheap if not free, which would be a huge sign of trust. It is true that they haven't had as many prime action show targets lately, but Made in Abyss should be coming up in their release pipeline somewhat soon, and that one deserves to be considered if TV rights are available.

Don't think they were bought in batches since Demarco repeatedly said they couldn't afford to do that.

That's not it.  The shows have exclusive deals on those streaming services.  So, the broadcast rights and streaming rights are considered one in the same, or the fact it has an exclusivity deal means it can't appear on TV.  Either way, Toonami can't touch it.

I have no clue about any of that.  Maybe Sentai simply doesn't have anything in their library they are interested in.  We'll see about this Made in Abyss show, I suppose.

44 minutes ago, EmpressAngel said:

What in the actual hell are you talking about? The closest thing to manservice OP has is the occasional shirtless dude and also Franky in his speedo, which isn't really ever presented as sexy.

EmpressAngel is right, promote her to EmpressGOD!

3 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

What in the actual hell are you talking about? The closest thing to manservice OP has is the occasional shirtless dude and also Franky in his speedo, which isn't really ever presented as sexy.

dunno I only had 10 minutes of sleep when I wrote that so even I'm puzzled by it 

also a bit of software update emoji's are deemed not a necessity for a while so these shitty ones are what you guys will have to deal with for now 

now I'm going and get some much needed sleep 

Edited by Misaka

1 hour ago, Misaka said:

dunno I only had 10 minutes of sleep when I wrote that so even I'm puzzled by it 

also a bit of software update emoji's are deemed not a necessity for a while so these shitty ones are what you guys will have to deal with for now 

now I'm going and get some much needed sleep 

you're just downgrading the emoji's because you know I made a bunch of them :|

Edited by mochi