UnevenEdge

**Spittake** Black Clover announced for toonami?!

mochi

21 hours ago, Spindack said:

Exactly. Playing the same shit on TV we've already seen online is potential big business. It will still make ratings and money. So acquasitions of streaming anime is the right idea. Gorillaz, OutlawStar, Big O, Gundam, anyone???

Actually, older properties can get bundled with newer properties at a middle deal rather than everything being bought separately. It establishes a working relationship between both parties opening up the way for the cable end to get a solid deal on a newer property which can in turn be used to advertise the streaming side of the sellers on the cable side without having to buy commercial time. Cable time = streaming time if you play your cards right. 

And as technically everything is online if you really look for it, that can't really be used as the be all to end all arguments against airing something cable side. 

On 11/23/2017 at 1:58 AM, Daos said:

I saw a few eps subbed, it was bad. Even if the dub fixes this it's not the shows most pressing issue.

Oh and Super actually gets good.... at episode 110. That's why all the sub watchers are talking about it now. That was the first fight in Super I've actually seen that recaptured the magic of the original DBZ. Seriously just skip the dub and go watch 110 now, you'll thank me.

But getting a show that takes 110 episodes to dish out one good fight... not a recipe for ratings success. 

Oh and I disagree with airing TG despite it's popularity. It was from 2014, and all the fans had already seen it. The fans didn't even like the second season. In terms of quality, it was garbage. Why would you want your anime block associated with garbage? To top it off, it didn't bring in good ratings or anything. Not awful, but the same pretty much any random show could have done after Jojo.

D: Is it at least good riffing material?

Well I wouldn't say Super has been terrible so far myself but it seems many others are unimpressed, and it's obviously reflected in the ratings.  They were going to get it no matter what since it's Dragon Ball though.

But, those fools were still requesting it, even after all that time.  Demarco HAS to give the fans what they want! :|

On 11/21/2017 at 5:05 AM, ben0119 said:

I... see.  Well, crap.

When are we getting more Seven Deadly Sins? D:

January 6th 2018 if I remember correctly. Then the wait for the dub from Netflix begins.

Actually wouldn't be too surprised if BC does fine since straightforward shonen action shows generally do.

Edited by DangerMouse

On 11/23/2017 at 7:42 PM, Daos said:

I think i dropped Knights and Magic after 5 or 6 eps... I'm gonna force myself to finish it, it wasn't that bad. Hell it's better than any of the Gundams we've had on Toonami.

But since they have now established that they will air anything... how about "In another world with my smartphone?" I wouldn't put it past them.

Also ... Toonami has shown that it can get the big names in anime. Super, Jojo, Black Clover, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO, One Punch man...... It's just that most of their choices are bad. So we can't keep blaming competition for the reason Toonami is tanking.

Well Demarco has said how a lot of the shows they want get locked up on streaming services.  So we would have those shows if not for that.  But, the competition was pretty fierce back when other networks actually showed anime.  Can it be much worse now?  But, you do have a point.  Just because they couldn't get the shows they had their heart set on doesn't mean they had to get the crap they got instead.

They really need to do away with that whole "we only air what we like" nonsense.  I mean, the only people that care about Gundam in  the U.S. besides Toonami are a few hardcore fans.  

Either way, there's been a lot of bungling, and the block has gotten worse and worse and more disappointing.

Edited by ben0119

22 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Well I wouldn't say Super has been terrible so far myself but it seems many others are unimpressed, and it's obviously reflected in the ratings.  They were going to get it no matter what since it's Dragon Ball though.

But, those fools were still requesting it, even after all that time.  Demarco HAS to give the fans what they want! :|

Ratings aren't the holiest of holy grounds. Ratings are overrated.

46 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I don't care about ratings either, but it would be nice if they picked better shows.

It would. I'd say Black Clover is their best bet at a new powerhouse, in this instance, for the time being, but the lineups always gonna morph and shift. It's one constant with Toonami, that they never stay exactly the same forever like something static that refuses to get evicted for bad behavior / too much drugs and partying,  like Sponge or Family Guy.

1 hour ago, Sandstone said:

Small spoiler, but there is actually a pretty creepy character in Asta's group that talks about how he loves his "little sister" and holds up pictures of this loli girl while getting nosebleeds. It's mega creepy even for an anime.

Ouch.

Yeah, this is gonna fail hard.

57 minutes ago, Sandstone said:

No, I get the feeling that guy is supposed to be gay based of some of the thing he's said thus far.

it's anime I'm sure he's not, that or he's a rapist like Puri Puri Prisoner

Edited by mochi

7 hours ago, Sandstone said:

Small spoiler, but there is actually a pretty creepy character in Asta's group that talks about how he loves his "little sister" and holds up pictures of this loli girl while getting nosebleeds. It's mega creepy even for an anime.

Oh man so much universal cringe will be taking place once this airs 

13 hours ago, Sandstone said:

So like is it supposed to be funny, or legitimately creepy?

On 11/25/2017 at 8:14 PM, ben0119 said:

Are you asking if it's good to make fun of like say.. Tokyo Ghoul? Ummm not from what I saw really.  It's just every Shonen trope and cliche thrown into a single anime. Nothing as funny as the beams falling on Kaneki and not quite killing him but mortally wounding him to the point where he needed organs from the ghoul Rize to live. Organs which were somehow undamaged despite her wounds being fatal. Just the way the doctor planned. All he had to do was wait until they were at exactly at the right spot then drop the beams, then perform an illegal surgery with the help of about a dozen hospital staff members who don't mind putting the organs of an obvious ghoul into a human being.

But yeah the tropes I remember were....

He has no powers in a world where everyone has powers! MHA

He's an orphan... Naruto?

Something about demons and a sword.. Inuyasha!

He wants to be the Pirate ... Ninja... Paladin... Wizard king! One piece, Naruto. Blue exorcist.

One brother is refined and responsible while one isn't! Blue exorcist and others I'm sure.

Basically all this stuff https://theoverthinkersmedia.com/2017/10/08/black-clover-episode-1-review-cliche-unoriginal-forgettable/

• Like 1

The village building a giant statue of the first leader so the MC can have someone to be a successor to and look at from afar, standing atop something =  Naruto.

Has a friend/brother/rival who is more refined, stoic, and brooding than him = Naruto

Really, I think the mangaka was just lying in a field one day and stared at a three-leaf clover, and said, " yeah I can totally make the next overhyped shonen manga from this one tiny idea."

1 hour ago, Daos said:

Are you asking if it's good to make fun of like say.. Tokyo Ghoul? Ummm not from what I saw really.  It's just every Shonen trope and cliche thrown into a single anime. Nothing as funny as the beams falling on Kaneki and not quite killing him but mortally wounding him to the point where he needed organs from the ghoul Rize to live. Organs which were somehow undamaged despite her wounds being fatal. Just the way the doctor planned. All he had to do was wait until they were at exactly at the right spot then drop the beams, then perform an illegal surgery with the help of about a dozen hospital staff members who don't mind putting the organs of an obvious ghoul into a human being.

But yeah the tropes I remember were....

He has no powers in a world where everyone has powers! MHA

He's an orphan... Naruto?

Something about demons and a sword.. Inuyasha!

He wants to be the Pirate ... Ninja... Paladin... Wizard king! One piece, Naruto. Blue exorcist.

One brother is refined and responsible while one isn't! Blue exorcist and others I'm sure.

Basically all this stuff https://theoverthinkersmedia.com/2017/10/08/black-clover-episode-1-review-cliche-unoriginal-forgettable/

Haha yeah Tokyo Ghoul was great to make fun of.  And that origin story... lol.  Also, man, I just remembered... the whole thing with the doctor was never followed up on.  You'd think Kaneki would want to hunt him down and figure out what the deal was with all that.

Blue Exorcist was generic itself.  How can Black Clover be even more generic than that?!

That review... oof.  And they said Naruto portrays the polar opposite best friends better?  Not a vote of confidence given Naruto doesn't do that very well either.  Kishimoto tells us repeatedly that they're best friends, but they come off more like casual co-workers than anything else.  Which makes Naruto's obsession with bringing back Sasuke very bizarre.  Itachi even asked "why are you obsessed with my brother?" :D Also didn't like that Sasuke's leaving the village was permanent, that he wasn't brought back after that arc, and that it would be an ongoing thing throughout the series.  It's not much motivation to pull for Naruto to achieve this "goal," given Sasuke is a traitorous asshole.  Yet Naruto even says there's a jail cell waiting for Kabuto... but not Sasuke for some reason.  Bleh, got on a rant there.  But yeah, this show is just sounding better and better. :|

2 hours ago, Sandstone said:

I think they were trying for funny, but it just came off as creepy to me... see for yourself:

5q4JJ7.png

That girl looks like she's 6 years old or younger.  Not that it would be much better if she was older, but that's creepy as hell for sure, yeah.  I mean, they could get away with the whole he loves his adorable little sister thing, I'm thinking something similar to Hughes and his daughter, but..the nosebleed. :|

1 minute ago, ben0119 said:

That girl looks like she's 6 years old or younger.  Not that it would be much better if she was older, but that's creepy as hell for sure, yeah.  I mean, they could get away with the whole he loves his adorable little sister thing, I'm thinking something similar to Hughes and his daughter, but..the nosebleed. :|

The official explanation is that he's "excited" while telling everyone about her and obsessed or something. I dunno. It just sounds like an elaborate excuse for lolicon to me, and I don't tend to criticize or focus on sexual stuff in anime that much. And yes this is far beyond the "Old man hitting on a 16-year-old" trope you see in a ton of anime (16 is the legal age of consent in Japan so I am sure this is not considered unusual over there). What you don't see is stuff like this typically, especially not in a mainstream shounen anime, where the manga it's based on is featured heavily in ShounenJump.

There are alot of noticeable things drawn directly from Naruto or Fairy Tale. Which is funny because alot of people poo-pooed the idea when I said it was originally going to be like Fairy Tale in many ways when I first heard Asta's non-stop screaming.

The fact that there are several major similarity cliche's between the order he aligns with and Natsu's guild is pretty striking for starters. You will see what I mean when episode 5 and 6 air.

50 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

This show is going to be a cornucopia of crap. D:

having looked it up he apparently hasn't actually done anything

I mean literally, he's introduced and everyone immediately thinks he's a creepy pervert, despite him doing absolutely nothing aside from wear makeup, nothing has been revealed about him other than that he looks like a gay anime stereotype

it hasn't even been confirmed whether he even is gay or not

that said the anime made him look less horrible

latest?cb=20170225183220&path-prefix=fr

350?cb=20171024201717

edit: also he's Marylin Manson

tumblr_oydbw8bGch1s81d7qo1_1280.jpg

Edited by mochi
  • Like 2

@mochi

Maybe I'm mistaken but in one of the recent episodes, I saw he mumbled something about wanting to see or be naked (I think) with some other dude. I don't remember the exact context. He's the one elfie was referring too and the one I said was probably intended to be a gay character, though that is not confirmed. He looks like Marilyn Manson/Boy George. But he talks very quietly (mumbling), it's his character's schtick apparently, which is annoying because it's hard to hear what he's actually saying.

2 minutes ago, Sandstone said:

@mochi

Maybe I'm mistaken but in one of the recent episodes, I saw he mumbled something about wanting to see or be naked (I think) with some other dude. I don't remember the exact context. He's the one elfie was referring too and the one I said was probably intended to be a gay character, though that is not confirmed. He looks like Marilyn Manson/Boy George. But he talks very quietly (mumbling), it's his character's schtick apparently, which is annoying because it's hard to hear what he's actually saying.

I just found it a bit interesting that the anime made him nicer looking, in the manga he has featureless unfocused white eyes and his mouth is always slightly open, but in the anime he has normal looking brown eyes that focus on what he's looking at and he isn't slack-jawed

52 minutes ago, mochi said:

actually that'd be One Punch Man

this show would be "Not Naruto Shippuden"

I meant more everyone wanted Soul Eater and we got KrappyKishi.  Then Toonami aired Soul Eater and all was well.

We should have MHA, but Netflix.  

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 12:47 PM, Sandstone said:

The official explanation is that he's "excited" while telling everyone about her and obsessed or something. I dunno. It just sounds like an elaborate excuse for lolicon to me, and I don't tend to criticize or focus on sexual stuff in anime that much. And yes this is far beyond the "Old man hitting on a 16-year-old" trope you see in a ton of anime (16 is the legal age of consent in Japan so I am sure this is not considered unusual over there). What you don't see is stuff like this typically, especially not in a mainstream shounen anime, where the manga it's based on is featured heavily in ShounenJump.

Yeah, that's... not cool.  And it's bad timing, making me even more uncomfortable given *ahem* certain other recent events.

On 11/27/2017 at 1:07 PM, elfie said:

Asta going after a nun, and now this.  ... does this writer think taboo subject matter is funny??

Maybe.  The little sister thing isn't even funny to me though.  Just... ehh.  Maybe it will be different when we see it in the show, but I dunno.

On 11/27/2017 at 6:09 PM, Daos said:

Even the guy who constantly talks about his little sister seems like a semi copy of Major Hughes never shutting up about his daughter.

But Hughes wasn't a pedo.  GOD DAMN IT SHOW LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO!  Two words that should never be in the same sentence together.  Forgive me Hughes.