UnevenEdge

**Spittake** Black Clover announced for toonami?!

mochi

7 hours ago, DangerMouse said:

Maybe not counting on it, but yeah they probably are hoping for that to happen. Maybe Naruto being in filler hell and HxH being about halfway done also contributed. I'd imagine they're always looking for their next long-running gateway shonen show like Bleach, DBZ, Naruto, etc., so that they can get in on another one at the start like they did Bleach, and I guess it wouldn't be surprising if MHA was probably out of their price range since it became such a big hit so quickly just on Funi's streaming service (along with Crunchyroll) even before it went anywhere else.

Hopefully with them expanding the block for BC, rather than it taking something else's place, when one of the other shows ends early next year they'll be able to use one of the spots for one of the more adult aimed shows or at least one of more demanded crossover shows like Blood Blockade Battlefront (the mix of content in the show and Trigun creator/artist really makes it a no-brainer even if it's been streaming for a while it feels like it'd still be a huge hit with its mix of action, comedy, and colorful and hyper characters). If they'd like to keep the theme of revamped classics for the Lupin spot for at least one more time, Space Battleship Yamato 2199 would really be a great choice now that against all odds it's finally getting dubbed now.

They've gotta be banking on that.  I can't think of any other reason for them to expand the block and put it up front like that.  They're hoping it will be the next big thing.  I'm not so sure though.

Toonami, you chose... poorly.

Wasn't MHA implied to he one of the shows where Netflix they found out they wanted it and bid double Toonami's offer?

Yeah it's not taking anythings place so that leaves more hope.  Something more mature or different at the very least would be nice.  Didn't know Blood Blockade Battlefront was by the Trigun creator.  That makes me more interested in it now.  I'd probably want to watch the old Space Battleship Yamato stuff first.  I've been interested in it for a while.  But yeah, if there's a new series it'd be cool for Toonami.

*sigh* I'm very disenfranchised and depressed with the state of Toonami right now.

Edited by ben0119

6 hours ago, katt_goddess said:

Netflix locking down My Hero Academia along with all the other shows on their anime wishlist is akin to both SyFyllis buying and then sitting on the entire Manga Entertainment library and Comedy Central spending $30 million for the rights to Futurama only to have people lose interest in it rapidly [seriously, my cable company even dropped CC years ago]. It's a massive money sink that in the end does not help the company that has them, it just makes them look petty and insecure. Purchasing a show's rights should be done with intent to air.

Besides, isn't it Netflix that has that Yoko Ono Tokyo staring Will Smith's youngest idiot to pimp out hardcore to the masses? :D 

But, Netflix is showing the shows?  I have SuddenLink and they dropped all Viacom channels years ago over carriage fee dispute.  We got the channels back a few months ago but now I'm not even interested in them.  And yeah I didn't care about Futurama by that point anymore lol.  AS ran it to death so I was sick to death of it.

Hahaha oh god. :D I was going to watch that to make fun of it but never got around to it.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:40 PM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, I'd be shocked it if actually is intended to stop at 51 episodes, even if that's the plan for the current batch. Would be shocked if they don't intend to make this the next long runner.

I thought everything was going the way of the seasonal model nowadays.

17 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

I thought everything was going the way of the seasonal model nowadays.

Yeah, if they do it by batches there could be a couple months break after the current batch, but I could see them announcing the continuation intent with the last episode just like MHA did.

Edited by DangerMouse

3 hours ago, Daos said:

And think, a few days ago anyone suggesting Toonami pick up Black Clover would not have been taken seriously.

I mean come on guys, they're not gonna grab an anime that's become a reviled laughing stock in the span of 3 episodes right? Right???

I suggested they pick up Black Clover. I'm lazy though and not inclined to find it in my tracker.

On 11/19/2017 at 8:51 AM, Daos said:

And think, a few days ago anyone suggesting Toonami pick up Black Clover would not have been taken seriously.

I mean come on guys, they're not gonna grab an anime that's become a reviled laughing stock in the span of 3 episodes right? Right???

They probably didn't watch the 4th one. :D This is GXP all over again.  Well, if it's so bad it shits the bed in the ratings, it will get death-slotted just like GXP did. :)

Edited by ben0119

On 11/19/2017 at 4:07 AM, DangerMouse said:

Yeah, if they do it by batches there could be a couple months break after the current batch, but I could see them announcing the continuation intent with the last episode just like MHA did.

I... see.  Well, crap.

When are we getting more Seven Deadly Sins? D:

Edited by ben0119

Posting this here to shut some people up -

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/142558004969

I love Toonami and am a bit worried about JoJo's, people have been telling me it's not doing well but I'm definitely not taking it from word of mouth. Do you think Diamond is Unbreakable is possible at all if Stardust Crusaders doesn't do better?

It's doing just fine.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/143452398825

is toonami ending on mid-2019?

Right now we have plans extending into 2021. So, no.

Demarco reminds me of a politician when they're under attack.

Nothing to see here! Everything's fine! We're going ahead just like we were before! These allegations are unfounded!

If Toonami has another huge drop like they did over the last year, they're getting cancelled. Demarco can say "We have plans until 2021" but that doesn't mean squat.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Daos said:

Nothing to see here! Everything's fine! We're going ahead just like we were before! These allegations are unfounded!

If Toonami has another huge drop like they did over the last year, they're getting cancelled. Demarco can say "We have plans until 2021" but that doesn't mean squat.

• Like 1

Just now, elfie said:

Obviously they know things we don't, and I'm glad in a way that we're in for more Toonami for a least 5 years. But how come they gotta dance around explaining things to their fans!?  Remember in 2012 when they were VERY open to their fans when they returned??  What happened?

they had to spend time listening to us maybe?

• Like 1

In the early Pre-Flight eps, the topics used to be about Toonami the block, not "what's your favorite blah de blah", and "this film that has nothing to do with Toonami"!  One of them was "Top 5 Worst Toonami Moments (or decisions)?" where they admitted which ones of their past decisions weren't good, even saying some of them were "due to Adult Swim's meddling". We never hear any of that anymore.

Well, at this point, I really don't know what to think. There's a chance DeMarco could be lying, but I don't think that is for as long as the block keeps expanding like this.

Maybe he just wants the ad rates to be low enough so the DSA can advertise during Toonami? 9_9

12 minutes ago, elfie said:

Obviously they know things we don't, and I'm glad in a way that we're in for more Toonami for a least 5 years. But how come they gotta dance around explaining things to their fans!?  Remember in 2012 when they were VERY open to their fans when they returned??  What happened?

Because Toonami was a big hit when it went back on the air. When you're a hit you can talk about past decisions that were bad. When all of your decisions are bad, what can you say really? They've lost 50 percent of their viewers in a year, and their flagship show is dangerously close to breaking into the 700k's.

They flat out admitted they didn't really check out GXP before airing it. Some stuff like Wulin warriors they were forced to air over their objections. But TG and Black Clover? This is just a lack of quality control.

Pretty sure they've never spent any time listening to fans, except in polls.

Tokyo Ghoul is absurdly (and depressingly) popular, so it was kind of a no-brainer if it was available for the right price.  With Black Clover they're presumably hoping to get on the ground floor of a new Jump property.  And hell, as they say, there's no such thing as bad publicity.

(...well maybe Weinstein and Spacey would disagree with that last bit...)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elfie said:

Because you don't expose the inner workings of how you run things to such an extent that could be bad for you?  They don't want the competition knowing that stuff, and you generally don't discuss business deals openly due to legal, courteous and professional reasons.  Deals are made in private.  They don't want to piss off the people they're working with and they don't want to tip off Netflix who will scoop them if Demarco so much as sneezes the name of a show they're interested in.  Remember, he said that if Netflix finds out they're interested in a show they bid double what Toonami does and snatch it up.  There's also Hulu and others to contend with.  Demarco said it's been very tough to pick up the shows they want lately because of this.

3 hours ago, elfie said:

In the early Pre-Flight eps, the topics used to be about Toonami the block, not "what's your favorite blah de blah", and "this film that has nothing to do with Toonami"!  One of them was "Top 5 Worst Toonami Moments (or decisions)?" where they admitted which ones of their past decisions weren't good, even saying some of them were "due to Adult Swim's meddling". We never hear any of that anymore.

Pretty sure it's because they ran out of Toonami relevant material.  And they have admitted to GXP and other fairly recent things as being blunders.

4 hours ago, Daos said:

Because Toonami was a big hit when it went back on the air. When you're a hit you can talk about past decisions that were bad. When all of your decisions are bad, what can you say really? They've lost 50 percent of their viewers in a year, and their flagship show is dangerously close to breaking into the 700k's.

They flat out admitted they didn't really check out GXP before airing it. Some stuff like Wulin warriors they were forced to air over their objections. But TG and Black Clover? This is just a lack of quality control.

Pretty sure they've never spent any time listening to fans, except in polls.

A big hit?  Lolno.  What were the great big ultimate debut shows when Toonami first came back?  Deadman Wonderland and Casshern. :| Along with some old ASA shows that had already been run to death, and Bleach.  Bleach is the only thing that kept anime from being completely taken off Adult Swim, by the way.  It kept the lights on long enough for Toonami to return as an experiment, and if that experiment failed the anime would've been done.  Don't recall the ratings being anything to write home about at the time (well maybe compared to now they are, not sure), but I know they steadily grew and the block came into its own, eventually getting bigger and bigger shows, in addition to picking up shows that should've aired years ago that ASA foolishly didn't acquire.  But now the past couple years with streaming services cutting them off at the knees, they are missing out on a lot of the must-get properties, which is very unfortunate.

People on the boards at the time, and we got a lot of new people at that time, by the way, were absolutely up in arms over the offerings of the reborn Toonami.  Think they wanted some of the classics and maybe better new shows, not sure.  Before the block came back it was a positive camaraderie atmosphere with the grass roots effort to bring the block back after the April 1st test.  I actually left the folder for a good while after that until things finally cooled down.  That's how toxic it was after the block returned.  Now, I didn't think Deadman Wonderland and Casshern along with the old shows rejiggered, with some taken off and others added, was the greatest debut ever, but considering how awful things were under ASA, having three actual premieres at the same time along with the Tom and the Absolution back was a major improvement.

Tokyo Ghoul is ridiculously popular, so it made sense to air it, regardless of how shitty it is.  As was discussed before it would seem they're attempting to get in early with Black Clover, like they did with Bleach and several other shows.  But, if it doesn't catch on, it's not going to be good.  At least maybe they could just shift it later if it doesn't do well, and hopefully still keep the new slot and use it for something else.

Not sure what the deal is with Super.  It seems that the sub has gone casual, possibly the only sub ever that has, since it's Dragon Ball.  I see people talking about recent episodes in non-anime specific spaces, like the wrestling podcast chat room I frequent. So that may have something to do with it.  The 8pm airing probably didn't help, so we'll see what happens after it's gone.  It could also be that people have decided they simply don't like the show.  I also wonder if it would do better after Kai is finished.  Maybe people don't like to have 2 episodes of the same show or franchise on the block in a row.  Can't say.

That said, TV has lost a lot of viewers overall, so you can't just put it all on Toonami.  It also needs to be taken into account that people watch via recordings or the Adult Swim stream and video section. 

Not just the polls but Demarco answers people on Ask and Twitter, they've done panels and Q&As at conventions, online Q&As, done interviews for podcasts and websites, and there's Pre-Flight.  So they're about as open and fan friendly and fan interactive as you can get.

6 hours ago, Daos said:

If Gman's memory and word is to be trusted, Demarco never really said things were fine right up until they weren't.  He'd say they were for a while and then wouldn't say anything after a while, and in some cases they pretty much admitted when something was in a bad spot, like with One Piece.

Edited by ben0119

11 hours ago, Jman said:

They say that and then Screamy McScreamington, THE WORST NEW MANGA OF 2016, airs.

You know there's always the possibility that the screaming (over this show being the worst thing ever) is much ado about nothing.  Who here has actually seen it?  People were going into convulsions over Kekkaishi and SAO airing too, and I ended up liking both of those.  And I don't remember how Kekkaishi did but I know SAO did well.

Edited by ben0119

1 hour ago, ben0119 said:

You know there's always the possibility that the screaming (over this show being the worst thing ever) is much ado about nothing.  Who here has actually seen it?  People were going into convulsions over Kekkaishi and SAO airing too, and I ended up liking both of those.  And I don't remember how Kekkaishi did but I know SAO did well.

I saw a few eps subbed, it was bad. Even if the dub fixes this it's not the shows most pressing issue.

Oh and Super actually gets good.... at episode 110. That's why all the sub watchers are talking about it now. That was the first fight in Super I've actually seen that recaptured the magic of the original DBZ. Seriously just skip the dub and go watch 110 now, you'll thank me.

But getting a show that takes 110 episodes to dish out one good fight... not a recipe for ratings success. 

Oh and I disagree with airing TG despite it's popularity. It was from 2014, and all the fans had already seen it. The fans didn't even like the second season. In terms of quality, it was garbage. Why would you want your anime block associated with garbage? To top it off, it didn't bring in good ratings or anything. Not awful, but the same pretty much any random show could have done after Jojo.

Edited by Daos

When Toonami started out, DeMarco literally tried to hide the schedule until the shows aired.  Like he was embarrassed or something.  Anime Superjail did OK ratings wise, but Casshern Sins...ooow.  That bombed something fierce.

But yeah, even the revival of the block had television in a much different place.  I could complain about not getting Yamato 2199 but as it stands, this is not all self inflicted.

Television and the way we consume it has fundamentally changed.

Edited by Jman

1 minute ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Do we really know for a fact that Yamato/Star Blazers 2199 isn't coming? It would actually make a GREAT replacement for Lupin!

It, too, is an older show (from 2012) that appears to be just now getting its dub. Lupin was out of left field, and Star Blazers 2199 would be quite the same!

The dub is on the FUNi Network/VRV.  She ain’t coming.

7 hours ago, Daos said:

I saw a few eps subbed, it was bad. Even if the dub fixes this it's not the shows most pressing issue.

Oh and Super actually gets good.... at episode 110. That's why all the sub watchers are talking about it now. That was the first fight in Super I've actually seen that recaptured the magic of the original DBZ. Seriously just skip the dub and go watch 110 now, you'll thank me.

But getting a show that takes 110 episodes to dish out one good fight... not a recipe for ratings success. 

Oh and I disagree with airing TG despite it's popularity. It was from 2014, and all the fans had already seen it. The fans didn't even like the second season. In terms of quality, it was garbage. Why would you want your anime block associated with garbage? To top it off, it didn't bring in good ratings or anything. Not awful, but the same pretty much any random show could have done after Jojo.

Vegeta still hasn't done anything worthy of note so I disagree about it getting good at episode 110

1 hour ago, Jman said:

When Toonami started out, DeMarco literally tried to hide the schedule until the shows aired.  Like he was embarrassed or something.  Anime Superjail did OK ratings wise, but Casshern Sins...ooow.  That bombed something fierce.

I distinctly remember him saying about a week or so before Toonami's return that Deadman and Casshern wouldn't be announced until the night of the premiere, claiming it was like back in the early days of cable where you had to actually watch to find out what it was.

A few days later, they were announced properly. Embarrassment or not, his reasons clearly weren't good enough for Lazzo.

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Um I seen the first 5 episodes.

2 hours ago, Blatch said:

I think the Lupin replacement will be Knight's & Magic. ;)

Oh come on, that show wasn’t that bad.

Hell of a lot better than Netflix Voltron or the smartphone show.

Edit - It wasn’t GOOD, but it was less bad.  At least it had a hook.

Edited by Jman
  • Confused 1

I think i dropped Knights and Magic after 5 or 6 eps... I'm gonna force myself to finish it, it wasn't that bad. Hell it's better than any of the Gundams we've had on Toonami.

But since they have now established that they will air anything... how about "In another world with my smartphone?" I wouldn't put it past them.

Also ... Toonami has shown that it can get the big names in anime. Super, Jojo, Black Clover, Tokyo Ghoul, SAO, One Punch man...... It's just that most of their choices are bad. So we can't keep blaming competition for the reason Toonami is tanking.

Edited by Daos

12 hours ago, Daos said:

I still rate Casshern Sins as the most boring anime I've ever seen. The ridiculous ending doesn't help either. 

Obviously they needed quality controlaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I remember watching the entire series on Funimation's YouTube channel, and the ending had me wondering what the fuck I had watched.

Painting Casshern as "death" does not fit with the previous atmosphere held by the original anime, either.

21 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Like it was said in that one Reddit discussion (partially by me), the only way to fix Toonami is to fix Demarco's shit taste in anime. But not even that can get me my High School DxD-Kuromukuro power hour.

The problem is everyone thinks their taste is better than the other guy's.

The issue is that [as] thinks they have a streaming presence; they don't.

That aside, in terms of replacing Lupin they aught to go with Scrapped Princess, or possibly DtB. Something a bit older but solid in quality.

Also, banishing JJ to a later time would be a good thing.

1 hour ago, Ginguy said:

The issue is that [as] thinks they have a streaming presence; they don't.

That aside, in terms of replacing Lupin they aught to go with Scrapped Princess, or possibly DtB. Something a bit older but solid in quality.

Also, banishing JJ to a later time would be a good thing.

AS On Demand doesn't even have an app for the PS4 or Xbone.  When most on-demand services are being streamed through game consoles, and you're not there, you're missing most of the audience.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:49 AM, Jman said:

The dub is on the FUNi Network/VRV.  She ain’t coming.

That actually doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to mean. 

While it might mean that what is new on FUNI / VRV might not be available immediately for cable broadcast, many places like to diversify where they get money. One of those ways is obviously to sell airing rights for their programs if possible once the general interest has begun to wane on their own platforms and if there are DVDs / BluRays / etc being released. 

20 minutes ago, Jman said:

AS On Demand doesn't even have an app for the PS4 or Xbone.  When most on-demand services are being streamed through game consoles, and you're not there, you're missing most of the audience.

Yeah. Having an active streaming presence means this. I watch Crunchyroll most often through my Wii U. Stuff like that is a much more practical solution than clunky linear website marathons you have to carve out several hours of one day to watch.

If an individual [adult swim] app is too niche, do one for all the Turner networks combined. It's not that hard.

1 hour ago, katt_goddess said:

That actually doesn't mean as much as you'd like it to mean. 

While it might mean that what is new on FUNI / VRV might not be available immediately for cable broadcast, many places like to diversify where they get money. One of those ways is obviously to sell airing rights for their programs if possible once the general interest has begun to wane on their own platforms and if there are DVDs / BluRays / etc being released. 

Exactly. Playing the same shit on TV we've already seen online is potential big business. It will still make ratings and money. So acquasitions of streaming anime is the right idea. Gorillaz, OutlawStar, Big O, Gundam, anyone???