UnevenEdge

Ghost in the Shell: SAC coming back to Toonami, replacing OPM reruns.

moose

Uh... okay.

I have two questions about this. One, is this coming back in to take advantage of the upcoming GiTS movie? And two, considering that Manga Entertainment (probably technically Anchor Bay) is about to re-release the whole series on Blu-ray, will they be getting getting brand new HD-ified tapes from them?

Makes sense to air it around the movie but if they were going to dip into the reserves the first stop should have been Dandy IMO.

On the plus side HxH and One Piece aren't moving later to accommodate a new show and it seems even more likely Samurai Jack will get us an extra half hour.

It's the rerun slot, JMan, there's nothing dumb about sticking an old show there.

You know how Jman is, just ignore it.

Actually I'm pretty surprised they didn't rerun something like IBO.  It was definitely divisive, yes, but not enough so that they wouldn't be willing to rerun it.  Perhaps they were only able to get a single run from it.

Beyond that all they really could do was run one of the older shows.  OPM already had a rerun, and given how popular it was I doubt they could have afforded more than two runs.  Everything else is still premiering, so I doubt they would double up on them.  The only thing that could feasibly go there is DBZ Kai from the Saiyan saga, but even then, if they were to do something like that then they would probably wanna wait until the end of Buu.

As for GITS itself airing, I'm happy about it.  I've wanted to see it again.  I agree that Space Dandy probably would have been a better choice, but I don't doubt that we'll see Space Dandy again.

My objection stems from it being an older show, and one reran to death at that.  I'd rather rerun a first run show than GITS and its decrepit corpse.

There's nothing wrong with Toonami airing an older show, I think, as long as they give it some time to rest; overexposing the shows is why they ended up killing the ratings, not the shows (for the most part) themselves.

Besides, what would they air instead?  OPM again?  Doubt it.  IBO? Nope, they probably only had that for a run.  DB Kai?  And lock up 7 out of the 8 slots on the block with long runners?  No.  You could make a point for airing Space Dandy, but considering the GITS movie is coming out soon, they probably thought GITS would be timely.  I sincerely doubt ratings are going to be as bad as you think they will be.

I wonder if it will be just the first season, or if it will roll right into 2nd Gig? That would theoretically lock down the 3 AM timeslot until 2018, unless it were to become the 3:30 AM timeslot! At any rate, get ready for Toonami's most "stable" year yet unless it somehow expands to a 2nd night, but save for 11 PM, there just doesn't seem to be much room for even the hottest shows such as Attack on Titan S2, FLCL, or Samurai Jack. I wonder how they're even going to handle the latter two, since those are a done deal, unlike AoTS2.

I always kinda suspected they were going to do this due to the movie coming out. Since they own the show, it costs them nothing to air this and ratings won't be too much of a concern, but I still think it might grab some people who haven't seen it before/ want to see it again. Funny I LITERALLY just watched both seasons last month! Second time this has happened, first time was with Champloo last year!

I firmly believe that the block will get 11:00 PM for Jack and Titan (the only way that doesn't show up is if FUNimation isn't offering it and wants it to stream it themselves). Then later in the year, there's going to be FLCL and I believe they've already stated they'd like to rerun the first one before the second one shows up. It's entirely possible that at some point this year (may not last forever depending on the need), Toonami may run the full 11:00 PM to 4:00 AM. Jason hinted at the possibility of a few shorter shows coming to the block as well and I just don't see them able to do these things unless they expand further. Jojo could also take a break before going into Stardust Crusaders (in fact that's what Jason thinks they are probably going to do as stated on his now defunct Ask.Fm). I like the idea of other nights as well if they feel its worth their while.  I think we are in an era where Toonami will be whatever the situation demands of the current show slate. Of course, the numbers will guide the way and adjustments will be made to ensure the block's survival. As long as Demarco, Lazzo, and Manning are around, I have a feeling so will Toonami!

There's nothing wrong with Toonami airing an older show, I think, as long as they give it some time to rest; overexposing the shows is why they ended up killing the ratings, not the shows (for the most part) themselves.

Besides, what would they air instead?  OPM again?  Doubt it.  IBO? Nope, they probably only had that for a run.  DB Kai?  And lock up 7 out of the 8 slots on the block with long runners?  No.  You could make a point for airing Space Dandy, but considering the GITS movie is coming out soon, they probably thought GITS would be timely.  I sincerely doubt ratings are going to be as bad as you think they will be.

Will Toonami get the newer GitS stuff?  With them able to play movies again...

Not many shows rise to the 10/10 God Tier Level that Ghost in the Shell occupies.  So... that's really not saying much, honestly.

Poor troll attempt on your part.  Try harder.

thank god they don't let you have any powers on here

also gits is much better than bleach

it doesn't troll you

They probably don't have the money to afford DBZ Kai reruns.  On top of that, it would lock up another spot (even if it is only a rerun slot) with a long runner.

This. I'm glad they are not rerunning Kai.

SAC is a good pick with a good length and ofcourse especially with the movie coming.

I'm surprised that so far it doesn't appear that they are rerunning AoT somewhere before April tho.