UnevenEdge

MSG: Iron-Blooded Orphans Season 2 coming in October.

Gyaos

Per Toonami's Facebook page. We knew it would happen eventually. All I know is that I'll tune out during the time slot it takes up.

tumblr_mp6nllvaUT1qbahrjo1_500.gif

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

it's better than Tokyo Ghoul (and dragonball super) so I'll take it

Like Unicorn and TG right?

Unicorn was fantastic, albeit reliant on at least a passing knowledge of Universal Century Gundam.  Tokyo Ghoul is...what it is, but there is an audience for it.  But really this is the old "I don't like shows X and Y so therefore no one will watch them" argument that I was hoping could be left in the fetid grave of the ASMB.  So much for that.

Unicorn was fantastic, albeit reliant on at least a passing knowledge of Universal Century Gundam.  Tokyo Ghoul is...what it is, but there is an audience for it.  But really this is the old "I don't like shows X and Y so therefore no one will watch them" argument that I was hoping could be left in the fetid grave of the ASMB.  So much for that.

Except while I don't like TG, the ratings aren't particularly bad. The ratings for Gundam shows... kinda are.

Except while I don't like TG, the ratings aren't particularly bad. The ratings for Gundam shows... kinda are.

IBO S1 didn't get particularly bad ratings. It only went under 800K twice at 1 AM in November.

Gundam Unicorn, on the other hand, hit the 500Ks with Episode 13 and pretty much stayed there, except for Episode 21, which even went below 500K on a REALLY bad night!

If they're still acquiring Gundam series, cost/benefit suggests they have to be satisfied with the numbers they're seeing.  I kind of thought it was an accepted fact by now that trying to interpret Nielsen nonsense is an exercise in futility.

:3

also friendly reminder that Jojo's creator confirmed Dio is Bisexual so anyone who says Jojo isn't gay as fuck is lieing to themself

I mean it isn't good representation since Dio is evil but that combined with the luscious lips, Tom of finland-esque artstyle and sexy poses kinda cements this as a super Gay anime

Ugh, another JOJO? How many times does this have to soil the sheets....

IBO S2 is awesome though.

Everyone dies, but I mean it is still a cool show with some really good fights.

ah, then goodbye cautious optimism :|

edit: Never mind, much like Unicorn

the gay character lives

the Straight guy he had a crush on however dies

much like Unicorn

I thought Unicorn was better, but IBO was easier to follow.

Looking waaaaaaaaaay down the line, it will be interesting to see which non-UC Gundam series will be the 7th to air on U.S. TV. So far it's been Gundam Wing, G Gundam, SD Gundam Force, Gundam Seed, Gundam 00, and Gundam IBO. I'd say it hasn't been created yet, unless it would be Gundam AGE or Gundam Build Fighters, though those two are a HUGE stretch!

Gundam IBO was decent, and only the second Gundam series I haven't hated.  Mikazuki was refreshing as a Gundam main character.  So, I don't mind this pick-up.

They've gotten the sequel season for just about every other series they've aired, so I think they are just finishing up IBO with this.  I wouldn't get used to Gundam appearing on a regular basis on Toonami any time soon.  Either way, Demarco's vaunted Permanent Gundam Slot is a bust.

It's cute when people who couldn't analyze their way out of a paper bag try to talk shop.

I mean I know even the barest minimum about UC Gundam and I was still substantially invested in it.  That takes chops.

No amount of "analysis" is going to make the 3D picture appear and magically make Unicorn a good show.

I probably know more about UC Gundam than you (unfortunately), and I wasn't invested at all.  It was torture from beginning to end.  Banagher was a parody of a stereotypical Gundam main character, the biggest bitch ever, the worst.  Riddhe was annoying as fuck as well.  He was a douche and pretty much nothing he did made sense.  In fact, many of the characters had questionable to nonsensical motivations.  Then the show tries to shovel philosophy bullshit down your throat left and right.  Marida, the one likable character, dies, to that douche bag Riddhe, no less.  Full Frontal (LOL), one of the few characters who thinks rationally and has a plan that makes sense is portrayed as the bad guy, and dies.  Oh, and the Newtypes were given some kind of Divine Rule recommendation in that secret deleted paragraph of the constitution.  Sure sounds like peace and equality to me!

Ultimately, pretty robot battles are wasted because it follows a bunch of characters we hate and/or don't care about chasing a bullshit MacGuffin to a laughable "ending."

The fact that you'd refer to Full Frontal of all people as having a workable plan says pretty much everything about your analytical skills.  Frontal was a deluded fool, an anachronistic echo trapped by the frozen-in-time image of Char Aznable he was based on.  His concept of holding the Earth hostage via trade exclusivity would have done nothing more than lead to a repeat of the One-Year War or the conflicts that followed.  The series itself alludes to the fact that the real Char most likely never would have chosen this path after everything that had happened in his life.  The entire point of the series was that a new way forward was needed for the Earth Sphere to stop making the mistakes of the past, and that's what Mineva sought to do by revealing Laplace's Box to the world: it would bridge the Newtype philosophy of Zeon with the Federation government itself.  And no, it was nothing at all like "divine rule": the Federation's founders wanted to ensure that any more advanced variants of humanity had a legitimate seat at the table, instead of being treated as third-class citizens as actually happened.  I'm starting to wonder if you watched the same series I did.

And from what I know of Gundam protagonists, I truly believe one could make a compelling argument that Banagher was one of the more well-grounded characters out of the bunch.  He's thrust into a situation beyond his understanding, and while he spends much of the series in a reactive state, he winds up growing into his role and taking initiative.  Mineva was a fascinating character in her own right, the scion of a hated family who sought for peace but maintained a certain level of ruthlessness.  (Fun fact: I didn't realize until after the series concluded that she'd shown up in the flesh in both the original Gundam and Zeta.)  And yes, Riddhe was eminently unlikeable, but complaining about not liking a character who is intentionally written that way is the height of absurdity.  He's a privileged brat who can't handle rejection and is easily manipulated as a result...did you think he was supposed to be appealing in the first place?  There were a number of standouts among the minor characters as well, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the venerable Bright Noa get a turn in the spotlight.

For my money, Unicorn serves as a fantastic example of an addition to a decades-old franchise that managed to maintain consistency while simultaneously expanding on the themes of the original work.  It's the sort of high-budget sci-fi production we rarely get these days, and with this level of execution, how could I not enjoy it?

The fact that you'd refer to Full Frontal of all people as having a workable plan says pretty much everything about your analytical skills.  Frontal was a deluded fool, an anachronistic echo trapped by the frozen-in-time image of Char Aznable he was based on.  His concept of holding the Earth hostage via trade exclusivity would have done nothing more than lead to a repeat of the One-Year War or the conflicts that followed.  The series itself alludes to the fact that the real Char most likely never would have chosen this path after everything that had happened in his life.  The entire point of the series was that a new way forward was needed for the Earth Sphere to stop making the mistakes of the past, and that's what Mineva sought to do by revealing Laplace's Box to the world: it would bridge the Newtype philosophy of Zeon with the Federation government itself.  And no, it was nothing at all like "divine rule": the Federation's founders wanted to ensure that any more advanced variants of humanity had a legitimate seat at the table, instead of being treated as third-class citizens as actually happened.  I'm starting to wonder if you watched the same series I did.

And from what I know of Gundam protagonists, I truly believe one could make a compelling argument that Banagher was one of the more well-grounded characters out of the bunch.  He's thrust into a situation beyond his understanding, and while he spends much of the series in a reactive state, he winds up growing into his role and taking initiative.  Mineva was a fascinating character in her own right, the scion of a hated family who sought for peace but maintained a certain level of ruthlessness.  (Fun fact: I didn't realize until after the series concluded that she'd shown up in the flesh in both the original Gundam and Zeta.)  And yes, Riddhe was eminently unlikeable, but complaining about not liking a character who is intentionally written that way is the height of absurdity.  He's a privileged brat who can't handle rejection and is easily manipulated as a result...did you think he was supposed to be appealing in the first place?  There were a number of standouts among the minor characters as well, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the venerable Bright Noa get a turn in the spotlight.

For my money, Unicorn serves as a fantastic example of an addition to a decades-old franchise that managed to maintain consistency while simultaneously expanding on the themes of the original work.  It's the sort of high-budget sci-fi production we rarely get these days, and with this level of execution, how could I not enjoy it?

This. It's mind-boggling to me how universally panned this show was across the major Toonami podcasts because I see it as a work of pure brilliance. The characters' actions certainly made sense when viewed against the larger backdrop of Gundam history as well as Unicorn when viewed as a stand-alone. And while at one point I likened the missing article as being somewhat of a "divine rule" passage, I now realize it wouldn't have that effect, but rather simply be the prioritized inclusion of a newfound minority (in this case, the Newtypes) in the inner workings of their own government. A seat at the table, as you said.

I'm convinced that most of the push-back against the series happened because it did rely so heavily on having at least a basic working knowledge of the Universal Century.  You could make the argument that it wasn't the best fit for the block because of this, since the last time UC Gundam aired on Cartoon Network had to be 15 years ago, but I'm still very happy they did, even if I didn't pick up on every detail and reference along the way.

If there is one legitimate complaint I think could be levied against the series itself, it's the utterly ham-handed way it was pared down from the original 7 OVA episodes.  There were some really awkward episode breaks and a bunch of recap filler along the way.  I picked up the DVDs for pretty cheap in the big RightStuf anniversary sale, so it'll be interesting to see how much better everything flows in the original format.

I didn't say it would end well.  And how often can you please everybody with these treaties and deals, arrangements, etc?  It's not often everyone gets everything they want and are 100% happy with any kind of international deal type thing like that.  But, it was an actual plan.  Something theoretically practical.  Or tangible, at least.  Banagher and Audrey's idea was just blind naive idealism.  WHY CAN'T EVERYONE JUST UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER BLAHAHARABUBHA.  Yeah let's everybody just hold hands and sing kumbaya, because that's something that works in the real world.  Why don't the Israelis and the Palestinians just shake hands and make up?  Why can't they just understand each other? ::) So what new way forward was proven exactly?  The MacGuffin was found and a dramatic flowery speech given, The Establishment were shamed and humiliated, arrested, and Banagher used some hax bullshit to stop a giant death beam and disable an entire fleet, because... Peace?  The Power of Love?  Bleh.  Are we to believe everyone that was opposing this is just going to give up and change their ways because some high profile people got removed and they were stopped in this instance?  There's no way there's anyone waiting in the wings to replace those people, or that that fleet won't rebuild, or another sent.  Nope, they read the MacGuffin aloud, everything is different now!  The show specifically said that Newtypes SHOULD BE GIVEN PRIORITY IN RUNNING THE GOVERNMENT.  By the way, call me when Scott Kelly gets psychic powarz. >:D

"From what you know."  In other words, you didn't watch the shows.  You don't get to talk until you've had to suffer through horrible Gundam protagonists like I have.  Sit through Amuro's crying.  Oh who the hell am I kidding?  You watched this show, with Banagher, who is THE WORST, and thought he was fine.  Banagher was an annoying crybaby bitch spouting idealistic nonsense.  Fascinating hahahahahahahaha.  Are you being paid to say this shit? :D Audrey kept her composure and seemed more "stable" and "smart," but she was ultimately shoveling bullshit as well.  Which the show did a lot of.  Looooots of preaching and shoveling of philosophy bullshit.  A lot of the Gundams are guilty of it but this one took the cake.  "WAAAAAH WAR IS BAD WAAAAAAAH WHY CAN'T EVERYONE GET ALONG."  SHUT.  UP.  Tokyo Ghoul may be hilariously bad, but at least it's not infuriating, like this show.  FFS.

Riddhe was unlikable, so was Banagher, so were plenty of other characters, and I don't think they were all meant to be hated.  What is absurd about it?  Yeah he's a douche but he behaves nonsensically.  What are his motivations?  He says something about the system might be broken but he's going to preserve it because... because.  What the fuck?  Then it seems like he loses his shit because Audrey won't run away with him.  But he never really had a connection with her (and Banagher probably spent a few hours with her tops before they were separated for the ultimate emotional reunion LOL), and what the fuck was his plan after that?  Run away... where?  And do what exactly?  Riddhe and plenty of other characters just behaved nonsensically and had questionable, nonsensical, or nonexistent motivations.  At times it seems the show doesn't even know what Riddhe is, what he's supposed to be doing, or how it wants us to feel about him.  And let's not forget how easily he's taken back after all the shit he pulled.  And what did he do to begin with that supposedly made him "such a great guy who lost his way?"  It's idiotic.  Lots of minor characters, lots of nothing characters that got thrown in left and right.  Hell I don't even know most of their names.  It's funny because Tokyo Ghoul has done the same thing.  Remember that girl with the mobile armor?  The show acted like she was somebody we knew and loved for tons of episodes when she shows up out of nowhere and dies and we're supposed to care.

Monopoly money.  Maintain consistency hahahahhahahaa.  Well, I guess it was consistently obnoxious.  Again I don't care how pretty the show looks if the story and characters are shit.  Sadly for me this wasn't one of umpteen Gundams with the everybody dies ending so I couldn't even be happy with that.  At least it's over and will never be on TV again and I'll never have to suffer through it again.  Just about everyone else hates it.  The podcasters, forum members, viewers (remember it bombed), even people who like UC hated this show.  And if they didn't at first, they sure soured on it by the end.  So, you and Alchemist are the weirdfuckers for liking this pile of obnoxious bullshit.  And that's not saying much for him since he'd probably give a kick to the balls 5 stars.

I'm convinced that most of the push-back against the series happened because it did rely so heavily on having at least a basic working knowledge of the Universal Century.  You could make the argument that it wasn't the best fit for the block because of this, since the last time UC Gundam aired on Cartoon Network had to be 15 years ago, but I'm still very happy they did, even if I didn't pick up on every detail and reference along the way.

If there is one legitimate complaint I think could be levied against the series itself, it's the utterly ham-handed way it was pared down from the original 7 OVA episodes.  There were some really awkward episode breaks and a bunch of recap filler along the way.  I picked up the DVDs for pretty cheap in the big RightStuf anniversary sale, so it'll be interesting to see how much better everything flows in the original format.

That's more apologist nonsense for this shit show.  I may not have watched every UC Gundam series to completion but I've seen enough of their content, especially the original, and I watched Char's Counterattack; I probably know the lore better than you do with your "passing knowledge."  Knowing what's going on and being able to follow it, which can be a chore as the show has a bad habit of failing to identify factions and characters, much less their motivations, doesn't make it sit any better.  Hell, all anyone should've done is watched the recaps and the last episode. :D So, Unicorn's own failings aren't predicated on what came before, whether you think that previous stuff was good or not (I don't), or knowing the UC lore, the show is hated because the characters are insufferable, the story is a cliche joke, and therefore you don't care about anything that happens and just want it to end.  As I said, even people who LIKE UC Gundam can't stand this show.  So yeah, nobody is hating this show because they missed out on some fanwanks.

Just FYI they spruced up the art and animation for the TV version, so....

It must truly be terrible going through your life without having even the slightest understanding of normal human motivations and interactions.  I'd even pity you if you were remotely worthy of it.

Oh, and I hate to deflate your hate-boner, but Unicorn was pretty massively successful in the Japanese market and is well-regarded critically.  But you've never been one to let facts get in the way of a good tantrum, have you?

Soooo I guess everyone else who hated it just doesn't understand normal human motivations and interactions, huh?  Everybody else on the forums, the podcasts, social media, yep, we're all just socially stunted freaks. ::) Yeah, because the characters in Unicorn behave like real people. :| It's funny watching you get so worked up and personal over a cartoon, though.  "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF MY PITY." :D :D :D :D :D

Is that supposed to mean something?  The Japanese market loves Naruto, too.  Love Live dethroned One Piece.  What is your point?  And critics are known to like stuff no one else does. ;)

Soooo I guess everyone else who hated it just doesn't understand normal human motivations and interactions, huh?  Everybody else on the forums, the podcasts, social media, yep, we're all just socially stunted freaks. ::) Yeah, because the characters in Unicorn behave like real people. :| It's funny watching you get so worked up and personal over a cartoon, though.  "YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF MY PITY." :D :D :D :D :D

No, just you Ben.  And I'm not remotely "worked up," as you put it, because that would entail putting any sort of value whatsoever on your critical abilities.  As it stands you're just an occasional amusement, nothing more.

Is that supposed to mean something?  The Japanese market loves Naruto, too.  Love Live dethroned One Piece.  What is your point?  And critics are known to like stuff no one else does. ;)

It means that you were spewing bullshit, per usual, and you continue to do so in this post too.  Evidence beyond the anecdotal directly contradicts what you're claiming, so maybe try whistling a new tune.

No, just you Ben.  And I'm not remotely "worked up," as you put it, because that would entail putting any sort of value whatsoever on your critical abilities.  As it stands you're just an occasional amusement, nothing more.

It means that you were spewing bullshit, per usual, and you continue to do so in this post too.  Evidence beyond the anecdotal directly contradicts what you're claiming, so maybe try whistling a new tune.

As I said, I'm not alone on this opinion.  People on the forums, the guys on the Toonami Showdown Podcast, have all made the same or similar arguments for why the show is bad.  Soooo yeah you don't have a leg to stand on here.  That sure sounds like you ragequit because you had nothing to respond with.  If that was the case, you wouldn't have said something like what you just said.  "An occasional amusement."  >:D Yup, you're not buttmad at all.  You're getting feisty for a discussion on a trivial topic like anime. =3

What bullshit?  Look up the sales statistics.  The truth hurts.  Japan loves Naruto and Love Live.  That doesn't make them good!