UnevenEdge

-

Guest poof

Woke up 20 mins ago to this email: "Hi Michelle,

I have exciting news:  my new book, Identity: In & Beyond the Binary, is out and you are on the cover!

I just received it today and happy to have you on the cover."

Since he interviewed, filmed & photographed like 40 trans ppl for the book, I assumed when he said "you are on the cover" it would be like a collage of many different people from the book. But it's just one big pic of me. Pretty cool I guess.

That's fucking rad! Way to go!

nah no royalties on this one. I just got paid the day of for the pics & interview. He owns the rights which I'm fine w/bc he & his wife are good people, and he was upfront verbally communicating to me how the photos could be used before I signed the paperwork. He's also a very talented photographer. It was a great opportunity to work with him, and it's more exposure for me to be on the cover.

I don't mind your decision, really. I'll just say this: Exposure doesn't pay your rent or bills.

Also, as a model (be it adult or otherwise), your mug and likeness are what pay your bills, because taking pictures is what you do to that end. Being in the book and on the book are two different things, in this instance.

I'm not saying be greedy, I'm just saying know your worth and use it. Also, as someone who works with photographers (since I'm a DJ who does parties and weddings), I know you're valuing the partnership, and I get it. Just remember that when your image gets associated with the book and where that can lead, positive or negative.