UnevenEdge

Toxic Fandoms

mochi

all shows got 'em ::]::

like how BBC's Sherlock fans were trying to Kill Benedict Cumberbatch's Baby (an actual arrest was made)

or when Steven Universe fans bullied a fan artist into a suicide attempt because she drew a thin picture of Rose

and now someone tried to kill an Undrtale fan artist by putting needles in her food because she shipped Sans with a character they didn't approve of

why the hell are fandoms like this now?

it isn't even specific shows it's ALL fandoms now, it's like, attempted murder is just considered "normal fan behavior" now :|

Maybe people who identify themselves as belonging to a "fandom" are predisposed to extreme anti social tendencies and taking things too far in general

Maybe becoming emotionally invested in works of fiction to the point of regularly participating in a "fandom" isn't healthy

Maybe.

like how BBC's Sherlock fans were trying to Kill Benedict Cumberbatch's Baby (an actual arrest was made)

or when Steven Universe fans bullied a fan artist into a suicide attempt because she drew a thin picture of Rose

and now someone tried to kill an Undrtale fan artist by putting needles in her food because she shipped Sans with a character they didn't approve of

why the hell are some fans like this?

it isn't even specific shows it's ALL shows now, it's like, attempted murder is just considered "normal behavior" to thesefans:|

I fixed your post. Also, there have been crazy fans of things since fans of things stated mochi. It isn't new or unique.

I don't get it. Back in my rabid Trekkie days, I don't think that kind of thing went on; I mean, I don't remember anybody getting death threats when it turned out that Chekhov wasn't going to be in the animated series. But then again, we were more isolated. That was back before the internet, and contact with other fans was limited. Maybe it's the hive mind that develops when you can hide behind a screen name and commune with like-minded individuals instantly and at length.

I think it has to do with numbers plus the spread of social media creating an irrational sense of entitlement toward characters/actors. When Supernatural was one of those shows that people thought would be lucky to last 3 or 4 seasons, fan discussions were a lot of fun to join in. Then it blew up, and crazies came out of the woodwork. This was my first time encountering a ship war, and it was so overwhelming that it was hard for normal folks to try calming fans down when they went after each other. The amount of vitriol aimed at Ackles's wife because she ruined some fantasy rabid fans had made up in their minds just made me give up on engaging with them completely. I'm actually glad that the show itself pissed me off enough to drop it years ago, so I'm not even tempted to check and see how bad Supernatural's fandom is nowadays.

why the hell are fandoms like this now?

it isn't even specific shows it's ALL fandoms now, it's like, attempted murder is just considered "normal fan behavior" now :|

It's just a thing.