UnevenEdge

4.8 magnitude earthquake hits NYC and Tristate area….

1pooh4u

No joke, Fridays I work from home and my entire apartment just started rumbling. I thought maybe a heavy truck was driving by but then the walls were shaking and the floor was waving like it was lava. 

lol no emergency broadcast not nothing 4.8 is kinda strong 

IMG_5510.thumb.png.a73b766a510b7b38b22bbf139d6704fc.png

• Like 1

For a bit I thought it was the maintenance guys at work, then I looked around and everyone was wondering just what the hell happened.

Weird.  Nothing insurmountable, no tsunamis or any shit, but still freaky.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, viperxmns said:

I thought it was the washing machine going insane at first

I thought it was a truck or construction machinery but then things started really shaking and moving 😮

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

This comes after the 7.5 in Taiwan, and the 5 pointer that hit Iran earlier today

Might be time to get these guys ready to go.......

image.jpeg.60012dc21ab4ccac9e933050a700ed60.jpeg

We’re all gonna die!!! 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Jman said:

For a bit I thought it was the maintenance guys at work, then I looked around and everyone was wondering just what the hell happened.

Weird.  Nothing insurmountable, no tsunamis or any shit, but still freaky.

For the east coast I’d say it was nuts. It was shaking entire structures. Every other time we had an earthquake I never felt it. This time there was no mistaking it. Crazy 

• Like 1

Still it says something when New Yawkers, the most desensitized people on the planet, all snap to attention and wonder what the hell just happened.  

I’m just hoping this didn’t knock over anything at home.  Don’t feel like buying a new TV.

• Like 3

We can break this meme out again!

I wont lie, I'm finding it a little amusing watching people freak out over this. Its a small shake, like really small. Dishes wont even fall small. I know the shallowness and the geology of the area makes it seem bigger, but cmon people.

Anyone whos lived in CA, or any active area, wont even slow down for anything less than a 6 pointer. And even then, its usually a minor inconvenience lol.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jman said:

Still it says something when New Yawkers, the most desensitized people on the planet, all snap to attention and wonder what the hell just happened.  

I’m just hoping this didn’t knock over anything at home.  Don’t feel like buying a new TV.

True people that live near subways feel rumbling all the time 

6 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

We can break this meme out again!

I wont lie, I'm finding it a little amusing watching people freak out over this. Its a small shake, like really small. Dishes wont even fall small. I know the shallowness and the geology of the area makes it seem bigger, but cmon people.

Anyone whos lived in CA, or any active area, wont even slow down for anything less than a 6 pointer. And even then, its usually a minor inconvenience lol.

Yeah but the west coast is built for earthquakes NYC isn’t. I’m telling you my entire structure in which I live shook and the wood floor started moving too. But I get it. People are so impressed w the Statue of Liberty but us NYers dgaf we see it all the time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stilgar said:

I also thought there was a big truck outside my house.

Until the walls and floors started moving then I figured “oh shit an earthquake” 

I’m really surprised pictures didn’t fall the way everything was shaking 

14 minutes ago, Jman said:

The Times app on my phone reported this first.  Way to stay on top of things guys.

My SI Advanced app and NYP also reported before the alert. I think an emergency alert +30 min after the incident is the real story here. 

26 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Yeah but the west coast is built for earthquakes NYC isn’t. I’m telling you my entire structure in which I live shook and the wood floor started moving too. But I get it. People are so impressed w the Statue of Liberty but us NYers dgaf we see it all the time. 

Most modern buildings are built to a standard to withstand most earthquakes. Wont really see damage unless they go well above the normal earthquake in an area.

Also, its not our fault that we have seen NYC destroyed by aliens so many times that we are a bit desensitized to it. Learn to fight back already. Tired of watching NYC get glassed every couple of years.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Master-Debater131 said:

Most modern buildings are built to a standard to withstand most earthquakes. Wont really see damage unless they go well above the normal earthquake in an area.

Also, its not our fault that we have seen NYC destroyed by aliens so many times that we are a bit desensitized to it. Learn to fight back already. Tired of watching NYC get glassed every couple of years.

That’s true. At least in Tom Cruise’s War of the Worlds it took place in Bayonne NJ 😆

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Icarus27k said:

NBC threw the screen to Al Roker to explain. He did fine, but it seemed a little out of his wheelhouse. 

I bet. We do get earthquakes but nothing close to the 4.8 one that happened today.  50 years being a meteorologist and he probably talked about earthquakes in NYC twice, if that. 

• Like 1

I was on an internal zoom call. Office happens to be on eighth floor and I'm next to a wall-sized window. Alone in the office with a 22 year old.

Realized the whole building was shaking, but no one was reacting and everything was still shaking and the dissonance just triggered the panic inside. 22 year old made all the obvious jokes, so I told her it's not my fault I'm not hardened from growing up under the pervasive threat of school shootings like her.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Raptorpat said:

I was on an internal zoom call. Office happens to be on eighth floor and I'm next to a wall-sized window. Alone in the office with a 22 year old.

Realized the whole building was shaking, but no one was reacting and everything was still shaking and the dissonance just triggered the panic inside. 22 year old made all the obvious jokes, so I told her it's not my fault I'm not hardened from growing up under the pervasive threat of school shootings like her.

I definitely started getting really nervous when the walls and floors started moving. I left the building, which apparently is the worst thing to do, but I didn’t want a townhouse falling on my head….

1 hour ago, 1pooh4u said:

I mean, we do live next to the mother of all strike-slip transform faults so it's always assumed we're more used to earthquakes than anyone else on the North American Plate.  But, your experience isn't all that different than ours. The primary reason NYC tends to be resistant to earthquakes isn't so much building codes as it is the fact you, by necessity, have to connect your buildings' foundations to bedrock.  If the same earthquake were to happen somewhere in the remote midwest, it would likely have significantly more damage.

• Like 1

mt ascutney getting restless. 

did I ever tell you about the time I had a baby during an earth quake. lol

picture it June 1992, sunny southern california. a day like any other day. 

btw. wtf is up with this predictive text shit?

TXT I want to type TXT and i want my i's lower case. 

STOP IT.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

That wasn't an aftershock.

Drumpf just fell down, do big boom boom.

So is the next one going to be Alaska since the quakes seem to be traveling diagonally for some reason or are we going to hog them all to ourselves and either set the New Madrid fault off or go straight to the standby San Andreas? 

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

mt ascutney getting restless. 

did I ever tell you about the time I had a baby during an earth quake. lol

picture it June 1992, sunny southern california. a day like any other day. 

btw. wtf is up with this predictive text shit?

TXT I want to type TXT and i want my i's lower case. 

STOP IT.

Lately my predictive text has been fuckin up too not capitalizing the Is and stuff. Idw to type unnecessary shit 😆

• Haha 3