UnevenEdge

guse who dose not like lord of the rings

ok  Though the guy that made Spirited Away does not like The Lord of the Rings. 

Because it is one pacifist view And he and his anit- Americanism  Despite the fact the middle earth universe are like the better term is a fictional mythology of England? 

Not just me or I'm offended  that it is an American citizen and of Anglo-Saxon ( English ) Heritage Is offering 

may the way J RR Tokin was A catholic in a historic lead one of the most high catholic countries ever 

Historically speaking  The guy knows what being a minority and underrepresented  feels like to a certain degree 

Although I'm not defending Mr.Tokin or Mr Miyazaki  either way Their lack of Nuance in understanding  In the works of the one or the other 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mthor said:

Um, England is not a "high Catholic country." Ever hear of Henry VIII?

(Yeah, yeah, I know it's called "Catholic Lite," but still...)

of the yes but there was a lot of anti papists Sentiment Their longest period of time  The Anglican communion worldwide is part of the protestant camp 

47 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

there alot of aint-catholic propaganda for centuries  in the UK in general ever before the Irish independence  movement 

2 hours ago, ghostrek said:

may the way J RR Tokin was A catholic in a historic lead one of the most high catholic countries ever 

My brain hurts.

Edited by mthor
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mthor said:

My brain hurts.

I am sorry for causing that but I also know he was Catholic that's because JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends yeah Narnia creator and the creator of Lord of the Rings we're good friends. one was Protestant albeit West commonly know as high Church Protestant I believe and one was Roman Catholic

1 hour ago, ghostrek said:

I am sorry for causing that but I also know he was Catholic that's because JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis were good friends yeah Narnia creator and the creator of Lord of the Rings we're good friends. one was Protestant albeit West commonly know as high Church Protestant I believe and one was Roman Catholic

Stop. Just stop. Yes, J.R.R. Tolkien was Roman Catholic. C.S. Lewis was Anglican. Their offices were down the hall from each other, and they used to share an allegory stick.

Anglicans can be high or low church. Technically, Roman Catholicism is considered a high church, but I've never before heard it referred to as such; Catholics are either Roman or Orthodox, and both are equally "high." (and now I wish I was.)

5 hours ago, mthor said:

Um, England is not a "high Catholic country." Ever hear of Henry VIII?

(Yeah, yeah, I know it's called "Catholic Lite," but still...)

Ghosty is misspeaking there.  The county as a whole isn't "High Catholic," but its relatively small Catholic Church is.  Tolkien was part of and highly informed by a comparatively conservative Roman Catholic which, in turn, infuses a religious fundamentalism that was out of step with the rest of Flock even at that time.  A subtext to Tolkien's highly symbolic  fantasy is, in fact, a fictional alternate mythology to the United Kingdom.

Without bothering with the obvious clickbait YT in the OP, it's worth noting that there is a fundamental disconnect between Buddhist philosophic traditions and Judeo/Christian philosophic traditions.  The former places greater importance on the environment than the latter, and that difference tends to be more apparent if you attempt to place something like Rings beside any of Miyazaki's morality tales.  In Rings, Middle Earth is subject to the battle between good and evil, an almost literal representation of the Garden of Eden.  The creatures that inhabit Middle Earth are poisoned by evil just like their environment, but that poisoning tends to be a permanent and destructive gift from heigher powers.  In Miyazaki's world, the environment is weakened by the toxic presence of humans but does not lose its core identity through the wounds it receives.  The key difference is who the evil presence is.  For Tolkien, it's the unseen and unspoken embodiment of evil, Satan.  For Miyazaki, it's explicitly humans.

12 minutes ago, mthor said:

Technically, Roman Catholicism is considered a high church, but I've never before heard it referred to as such; Catholics are either Roman or Orthodox, and both are equally "high." (and now I wish I was.)

There is a clear delineation between conservative and progressive Catholics, and it's always existed.

34 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

There is a clear delineation between conservative and progressive Catholics, and it's always existed.

Granted. However, if you ask an Anglican if they're high church or low church, you'll get an answer. If you ask a Roman Catholic the same question, you'll get a puzzled look.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mthor said:

Granted. However, if you ask an Anglican if they're high church or low church, you'll get an answer. If you ask a Roman Catholic the same question, you'll get a puzzled look.

Well, no.  You’ll get a “Pope Francis is ruining the Church,” or “These bishops are not just disrespecting the pontif, they’re disrespecting the Faithful.”  We’ve always understood what the analogs to “high” and “low” are, but the current crisis gives outsiders easily defined parallels.

1 hour ago, scoobdog said:

Well, no.  You’ll get a “Pope Francis is ruining the Church,” or “These bishops are not just disrespecting the pontif, they’re disrespecting the Faithful.”  We’ve always understood what the analogs to “high” and “low” are, but the current crisis gives outsiders easily defined parallels.

Well, yes. You will get the answers you state, not whether they are high ("bells and smells") or low (bare bones). 

Totally off topic: it doesn't matter, because the rest of the world sees the RCC as an amorphous blob anyway. One of my favorite quotes (right up there with the one in my sig) is from Thomas B. Allen's Possessed: The True Story of an Exorcism, about the case that inspired The Exorcist. The possessed child's parents consult their Lutheran minister, who, when it becomes apparent that there is demonic mischief afoot, tells them, "You must go to the Catholics. They know about these things."

3 minutes ago, SwimOdin said:

It’s endearing that you guys can interpret what @ghostrekis saying. It’s sweet, borderline parental.

i never know what the fuck he’s saying.

It's definitely a locked achievement, but it's really just a choose your own adventure kind of thing until he breaks character and becomes completely coherent randomly. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Only watched half the video but Miyazaki’s reasons for not liking LotR or American films in general was very valid 

The points are valid and I do agree with that but it's over simplification and from later in a video from a cultural Centric point of view.

23 minutes ago, ghostrek said:

The points are valid and I do agree with that but it's over simplification and from later in a video from a cultural Centric point of view.

I only saw half but him not liking gratuitous violence, common in our media, and the global spread of that sort of violence, especially since it’s a representation of his people being vilified and killed, I would think it’s not an oversimplification 

39 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I only saw half but him not liking gratuitous violence, common in our media, and the global spread of that sort of violence, especially since it’s a representation of his people being vilified and killed, I would think it’s not an oversimplification 

JRR Tolkien did not mean that to represent the Japanese people but the but the Soviet Union or Russia in general must be Chinese Communists considered the last 1 was published in 1956 or something like that

11 hours ago, ghostrek said:

JRR Tolkien did not mean that to represent the Japanese people but the but the Soviet Union or Russia in general must be Chinese Communists considered the last 1 was published in 1956 or something like that

Pretty sure he’s referring to the movie and even if it doesn’t represent the Japanese but instead represent Jews or communists would be no better in Miyazaki’s eyes.  

24 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Pretty sure he’s referring to the movie and even if it doesn’t represent the Japanese but instead represent Jews or communists would be no better in Miyazaki’s eyes.  

that what i was geting at but never read the books 

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

What have books taught you, Ghostrek?

Nothing, that’s what. 

Watch the movie. Read the cliff notes. 

red october truagth me  desperate people will do anything for freedom at least that is partially captain the captain of the Red Octobers arc 

Plus there's a lesson there with Jack Ryan throughout the Tom Clancy Ryan verse that in the common man can do something