UnevenEdge

The economy

Icarus27k

1 hour ago, Icarus27k said:

Disposable income is rising at a faster rate than pre-pandemic. 

Screenshot_20240319-190641.thumb.png.29ea02d9a3a6e9ba5a7167f47d4e9278.png

I don't think it's a case of them not being able to afford a burger. It's more complaining about the higher price than they are used to. 

You realize that whether it’s the reason I stated or the one you stated, the results of either are the same. They see they’re paying more for something, or not affording something and that’s more important to them than unemployment being down or the gdp going up. It’s particularly frustrating when consumers see things like, tip screens being shoved into their faces, instead of businesses owners paying living wages. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

'Fi-douchery responsibility to shareholders' can french-kiss the darkest part of my cat's ass. 

After she eats her medical mushies.

You know shit is fucked up when the people sitting on their asses doing nothing but investing money are more important than the employees that keep shit running 

• Like 6

I think this thread proves the disconnect between Wall Street and the average American. Nobody but the one percent is marveling at "wow, our shit is actually managing to stick to the wall." The rest of us feel dread.

I'd also like to add that even though workers in Europe are better compensated than Americans, they aren't all paid a living wage and are also suffering from the effects of massive inflation. It's a global issue, and fortunately this is an argument that can be used against people blaming "Bidenomics."

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

Now wait a second, you gimpy little passive aggressive fuck. I thought you, Icarus27k, were too good and too privileged and too mighty to argue with the usual peasants!

Remember that? Remember when Pooh laid into your guppy ass a month ago in the election thread? Because daddy Biden fuckin neeeeeeeds your protection from all these dastardly pessimists?!

...And all you could do then was wiggle your bitch nose in the air and go “oh. I’m totally arguing right now, but I’m too perfect to say that I’m arguing! Haha! Owned!”

You can never argue like a real person and it’s so very priceless.

I hope you never realize what a fucking pretentious and waffling douche you are.

And I’m SO GLAD you took some time out from your afternoon Pilates class to quote reply everyone, and show everybody just how not involved you are with the world’s problems!

Great job, fuckhead! :D

I don't think people realize when you make posts like this, the degree to which you become "random online 4chan voice". This is average 13-year-old social media user stuff that is instantly tuned out. 

And no, I am not intimidated or bullied in any way by a group of 13-year-olds online.

Edited by Icarus27k
  • Haha 1

What demographic has the most disposable income?

Baby Boomers

Not only are Baby Boomers the wealthiest generation, holding 70% of the disposable income in the U.S. and spending over $548 billion a year, but they also they spend more than any other generation, across all categories. This includes spending the most per transaction.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Just a reminder, and I know it’s difficult, but this is current events and some civility is required. Some feisty posts will be allowed but we gotta try to keep it to a minimum, the “fuck you” stuff. 

• Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Awwww it took you a day to cough up a two paragraph rebuttal! How cute! Once again, great job showing everyone how much you don’t care!

Maybe that's a sign of how seriously I took your post, when I actually responded to more substantial posts about food prices that came after it.

Your first posts in this thread were sarcastic phrases followed by onomatopoeia, with the asterisk (*) to indicate direction, like something from 4chan. I read those. And it didn't even register that you were criticizing because I gave you too much credit. That criticism was such a stupidly formed comment, I thought you were just making humorous posts and not intending to say something serious.

I'm actually still being nice to you right now, and the good news is I don't remember conversations I have on this message board. Two weeks from now, I won't even remember talking to you about this, and we'll talk about video games or something. I'll genuinely talk to you because I won't remember that time you tried, and failed, to be mean.

• Like 1

Just now, discolé monade said:

Baby Boomers

Not only are Baby Boomers the wealthiest generation, holding 70% of the disposable income in the U.S. and spending over $548 billion a year, but they also they spend more than any other generation, across all categories. This includes spending the most per transaction.

Am not surprised they got the money and then have done everything in their power to make sure they keep it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Just a reminder, and I know it’s difficult, but this is current events and some civility is required. Some feisty posts will be allowed but we gotta try to keep it to a minimum, the “fuck you” stuff. 

that's assault in georgia. 

Edited by discolé monade
lol spelling is hard
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

Maybe that's a sign of how seriously I took your post, when I actually responded to more substantial posts about food prices that came after it.

Your first posts in this thread were sarcastic phrases followed by onomatopoeia, with the asterisk (*) to indicate direction, like something from 4chan. I read those. And it didn't even register that you were criticizing because I gave you too much credit. That criticism was such a stupidly formed comment, I thought you were just making humorous posts and not intending to say something serious.

I'm actually still being nice to you right now, and the good news is I don't remember conversations I have on this message board. Two weeks from now, I won't even remember talking to you about this, and we'll talk about video games or something. I'll genuinely talk to you because I won't remember that time you tried, and failed, to be mean.

Your attitude of making threads just to basically hear yourself talk, because you don’t honestly engage with anyone disagreeing with you, and your blind Jingai-like devotion to the Democratic Party is why you’re getting a lot of rude posts in your direction.  Normally I wouldn’t address the victim of “bullying” but in this case I felt it necessary.  Everyone that’s here remembers what happened in 2016. Please try some humility instead of wtf it is you’re doing which is rubbing a lot of users the wrong way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I respect you for maintaining control! 

3 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

You made this thread for the sole purpose of punching down on the less fortunate.

And I wouldn’t find you so insufferable if you just fessed up to that instead of crying because you feel victimized.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

that's assault in georgia. 

I don’t understand how that law can actually be but then I found out in some states if you curse at the police that’s an arrestable offense too. that’s such a human rights violation that I can’t even think about it without getting pissed off. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, 1pooh4u said:

I don’t understand how that law can actually be but then I found out in some states if you curse at the police that’s an arrestable offense too. that’s such a human rights violation that I can’t even think about it without getting pissed off. 

That is 100% a literal violation of the freedom of speech, including the founding father's actual INTENT of freedom of speech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

That is 100% a literal violation of the freedom of speech, including the founding father's actual INTENT of freedom of speech.

I’m been watching this stupid show called on patrol live (my other half likes to watch suspects get away from cops) and I’m never going to South Carolina. Honestly idu how the courts haven’t done away w laws like that 

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/profanity-laws-by-state

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

Your attitude of making threads just to basically hear yourself talk, because you don’t honestly engage with anyone disagreeing with you, and your blind Jingai-like devotion to the Democratic Party is why you’re getting a lot of rude posts in your direction.  Normally I wouldn’t address the victim of “bullying” but in this case I felt it necessary.  Everyone that’s here remembers what happened in 2016. Please try some humility instead of wtf it is you’re doing which is rubbing a lot of users the wrong way. 

It's not my concern if I rub people the wrong way. I'm confident in myself and in what I say, and I will proudly will not bend in the face of groupthink.

I think that's what "rubbing people the wrong way" is here.

And I don't make threads just to hear myself talk. I don't know why you come to that conclusion. I make threads just like anybody else. 

Just now, Icarus27k said:

It's not my concern if I rub people the wrong way. I'm confident in myself and in what I say, and I will proudly will not bend in the face of groupthink.

I think that's what "rubbing people the wrong way" is here.

And I don't make threads just to hear myself talk. I don't know why you come to that conclusion. I make threads just like anybody else. 

You don’t honestly engage anyone that honestly engages you. You come off very snobbish and maybe you don’t care, but after a while the mods will start caring, when all of your threads devolve into name calling because you can’t be bothered to interact with people like a human being instead of a stuck up robot.  It shows that you can’t be bothered to care about the opinions of others and that’s not how making threads work. Especially not in current events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

It's not my concern if I rub people the wrong way.

Yes it is. You wouldn’t make a dozen replies defending yourself in your own thread if that were the opposite.

I’ve never seen a man go this out of breath to prove he’s not melodramatic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1pooh4u said:

You don’t honestly engage anyone that honestly engages you. You come off very snobbish and maybe you don’t care, but after a while the mods will start caring, when all of your threads devolve into name calling because you can’t be bothered to interact with people like a human being instead of a stuck up robot.  It shows that you can’t be bothered to care about the opinions of others and that’s not how making threads work. Especially not in current events. 

All the posts in this thread where I sincerely responded on topic to people, and yet you say I don't honestly engage. And I'm not snobbish. Even you admit that is perceptive (you come off as). 

It's a private message board. If you want to make some ill-defined rule about your subjective perception of snobbery or "Democratic Party talking points," more power to you. I'm not sure I would care enough to object to that specifically. I'd have to think about it.

5 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Yes it is. You wouldn’t make a dozen replies defending yourself in your own thread if that were the opposite.

I’ve never seen a man go this out of breath to prove he’s not melodramatic.

Well yeah. I'm defending because you guys are being nonsensical. That happens sometimes.

8 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

It’s everyone else’s fault but your own.

You wanna act all profound and diplomatic but you’d rather be gassed than take up any responsibility for the smallest inconvenience to your character.

I agree we are at an impasse here. And we should stop because of that. I felt that more of the craziness needed addressed.

Internet: "You're a bad person."

Me: "No I'm not."

Internet: "You beat your wife."

Me: "I don't have a wife, and no I don't."

Me saying "no" is basically how I saw this conversation going. But now I'm good with it.

I will talk to you later about video games or something, like I said, because I won't remember the specifics of our argument. 

2 hours ago, Icarus27k said:

I agree we are at an impasse here. And we should stop because of that. I felt that more of the craziness needed addressed.

Internet: "You're a bad person."

Me: "No I'm not."

Internet: "You beat your wife."

Me: "I don't have a wife, and no I don't."

Me saying "no" is basically how I saw this conversation going. But now I'm good with it.

I will talk to you later about video games or something, like I said, because I won't remember the specifics of our argument. 

Isn't it a bit childish to assume all criticism of your actions are purely nonsensical and insist opinions of you hold no value?

You're unironically comparing, "Bro, that was a douchey post," to "You beat your wife!" and that's downright dishonest.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Everyone that’s here remembers what happened in 2016. 

Elephant in the room.

I wanted to say it long ago. I think if a few certain posters were still active, something would have been said already.

4 hours ago, discolé monade said:

Baby Boomers

Quick, everyone kill their parents. Collect that sweet insurance/property money.

• Haha 3

Fine, I'll go first:

All this talk about how great the economy is or isn't is patently absurd because it only has reference from the perspective of the current election cycle.  The economy might be stable by most metrics, but you can't call it healthy as long as the wage disparity gap continues to be as large as it is.  It's also not realistic to expect it to be healthy as long as we have a dysfunctional legislature that uses non partisan governance as chips in a high stakes political poker game.  In general, even talking about our basic needs is pointless in this political climate because a comparative minority is willing to cause mass casualties in the pursuit of victory.  That being said, we can talk about how the economy reflects a path forward in such a climate.

While not healthy, the economy we have now does have some safety rails still in place for POC.  Instead of focusing on how we can "revive" an economy that isn't in need of reviving, we should be focusing on how we can alter that economy in a way that diminishes latent racial and gender bias, and that means investing in opportunities for POC, women and the LGBTQIA community.  We're not going to solve  the income gap and its underlying factors, namely housing insecurity, working poverty, and gentrification, without addressing the fundamental driver:  a distinct lack of investment in communities that come from within those communities.  This has ramifications even for the agribusiness discussion.

Talk about agricultural workers not making enough to survive somewhat glosses over a bigger issue.  Having spent the past ten years traveling up and down my state, through the central valley and coastal farm communities, I've had something of an unique view into the inner workings of infrastructure or the lack there of.  One observation I've noticed is that these communities are (ironically) either food deserts or alarmingly close, despite being smack dab in the middle of farmland,  Full service markets are moving into the region from smaller chains, replacing larger corporate chains that have moved out or downsized, but the process is slow and uneven.  The issue is obviously not crop availability of supply lines (though those are neither as obvious as one might think), it's in private investment by people in the community.  An out of state grocery chain can certainly afford to build a new market, but it's not likely to have the same insider knowledge that local grocer would have.  That could lead to the larger chain possibly not investing because of potentially weak sales, or it could also lead to profits going out of the area, representing a capital drain on the community.

If we're going to discuss the economy, we should be talking about how effective it is on the micro economic level, not on how good the stock market is,

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Insipid said:

Elephant in the room.

I wanted to say it long ago. I think if a few certain posters were still active, something would have been said already.

"Remember 2016"? And I just think it's silly you guys remember conversations from 8 years ago.

Apparently this is some scarlet letter I have and just don't know it.

No, I don't care about anything that was said in 2016. You guys do though. Have fun with that.

9 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

"Remember 2016"? And I just think it's silly you guys remember conversations from 8 years ago.

Apparently this is some scarlet letter I have and just don't know it.

No, I don't care about anything that was said in 2016. You guys do though. Have fun with that.

I'm not sure why you're so proud of forgetting things.

20 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Jesus fucking Christ. Even when you attempt calling it quits you still think everyone’s out to get you.

You guys are still wrong and still posting. I was responding to one such post, which is allowed for what I understand.

Although I do note the whole "look guys" validation thing you're doing. 

11 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

You guys are still wrong and still posting. I was responding to one such post, which is allowed for what I understand.

Although I do note the whole "look guys" validation thing you're doing. 

Icarus? Pal? Chum?

All it takes... is one prestigious fucking effort from you to go “hey! I mean, maybe things are a little different from outside my front window!”

There has not been one single time in the whole span of nearly 90 fucking posts in this thread where you had this moment to think that for yourself.

There’s not one iota of self-awareness within your stubborn fucking head, and it’s killed everyone around and possibly everyone that’s genuinely close to you. That’s what you’re not getting.

You’re not gonna get anywhere in life by still being the boy in 4th grade who insists he hasn’t farted in class.

Edited by [classic swim]

33 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

I'm pretty sure you forget silly, unimportant things too.

Pot and kettle.

19 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

You’re not gonna get anywhere in life by still being the boy in 4th grade who insists he hasn’t farted in class.

This one time in grade school we got done with morning announcements and right as it ended, I suddenly let one out that made my chair quake. I think that might have been the loudest one I've ever done and it was like 30 seconds of dead silence while this deafening explosion of flatulence blasts into everyone's ears.

There was no hiding it, but it was very funny.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Hrurhuhuhuhuhuhu onomatopoeia I’m the voice of reason on these online web forums and everybody’s callous and cavalier but me 

This made me like you again. It was funny. 

Either you thought this would be a cool comeback, or you didn't and instead are making a point about lame comebacks. And it doesn't matter which it is. 

You deserve truth though. I may like you because you are lame but you are proud of it. You may find that insulting, which is case I'm sorry about that. 

On the other hand, if you're clever and witty, huzzah! 

Edited by Icarus27k

8 minutes ago, naraku360 said:

This one time in grade school we got done with morning announcements and right as it ended, I suddenly let one out that made my chair quake. I think that might have been the loudest one I've ever done and it was like 30 seconds of dead silence while this deafening explosion of flatulence blasts into everyone's ears.

I even sold the rights to Hollywood.

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, Icarus27k said:

This made me like you again. It was funny. 

Either you thought this would be a cool comeback, or you didn't and instead are making a point about lame comebacks. And it doesn't matter which it is. 

You deserve truth though. I may like you because you are lame but you are proud of it. You may find that insulting, which is case I'm sorry about that. 

On the other hand, if you're clever and witty, huzzah! 

I gave you fair and excruciatingly genuine words on why people think the way they do about you... and you’re still here. Hook, line and sinker.

You can never, upon any circumstance say you have one over on anyone else... ever... after today.

It’s no longer that you could’ve stopped hours ago. You let this spiral since Wednesday morning before 10AM. That’s how sad you are.

And you think I’m lame??? Jeepers! Is it because I didn’t neglect my fucking choo-choo train at eight years old, Holden Caulfield?

:LithiumSmileyLaugh: You’re a fucking clown.

I need to re-read Catcher. It's been a while. I never thought it was as bad as people say. 

That one scene (you know the one I'm talking about, I'm sure) is the most cringeworthy thing I've ever read in a book, and it was meant to have that effect. Which makes it brilliant. Oh my gosh, how horrible it is. Almost like a horror story without any actual horror.

1 hour ago, [classic swim] said:

I gave you fair and excruciatingly genuine words on why people think the way they do about you... and you’re still here. Hook, line and sinker.

You can never, upon any circumstance say you have one over on anyone else... ever... after today.

It’s no longer that you could’ve stopped hours ago. You let this spiral since Wednesday morning before 10AM. That’s how sad you are.

And you think I’m lame??? Jeepers! Is it because I didn’t neglect my fucking choo-choo train at eight years old, Holden Caulfield?

:LithiumSmileyLaugh: You’re a fucking clown.

Alright, man. I think we're taking this a bit far.

Don't get me wrong, Icarus can push some buttons and be abrasive, but I don't think that makes him a bad dude on its own. We all have pissed each other off at some point and usually for far more serious or idiotic reasons.

Jingai comparisons have their validity; however, Jingai strikes me as significantly more of a bad faith actor than Icarus. It's not really fair to treat them as one to one when they ultimately are different people and the actions of Jingai are starkly more malicious.

• Thanks 2