UnevenEdge

Polar vortex 2024

Icarus27k

Please understand our fine well it's a state shuts down if there's like... 2 inches of snow on the ground.

We got between 4 and 6 and none of that shit went anywhere for two days because it was cloudy and 13o for the high temperature. 

Shit’s so cold I couldn’t even go to the bar to watch the PPV like I like to.  I’m staying home.

To be fair “polar vortex” does sound more elaborate than “Holy shit it’s cold!”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2024 at 6:10 PM, katt_goddess said:

It was nearly 70'F last week.

It's going to start snowing some point Thursday and keep going intermittently until Monday. 

And this is why I don't pull the plastic off the windows until May 1st at the earliest. 

I’m a southern boy so I have to ask, what plastic?

45 minutes ago, SwimOdin said:

I’m a southern boy so I have to ask, what plastic?

Winter window kits. You can winter-proof your windows by putting clear plastic sheets over them [ on the inside ] using double-sided tape to hold it in place. Then you can heat shrink them to create a sort of pocket shield of air between your apartment and the actual window. It catches the drafts that get through the window so you don't feel them and the heat from the apartment sort of keeps the air pocket slightly warmer than the outside so its a form of temporary and cheap insulation that lasts as long as the tape holding it up does. Currently the tape on the bottom has given out but I leave plenty of margin so it's still controlling drafts. 

Think the world's biggest bubble wrap bubble but only over a single window. [ fun fact - bubble wrap was originally invented as insulation because the little air bubbles hold in warmth ]

• Thanks 2

On 3/21/2024 at 6:44 PM, katt_goddess said:

Winter window kits. You can winter-proof your windows by putting clear plastic sheets over them [ on the inside ] using double-sided tape to hold it in place. Then you can heat shrink them to create a sort of pocket shield of air between your apartment and the actual window. It catches the drafts that get through the window so you don't feel them and the heat from the apartment sort of keeps the air pocket slightly warmer than the outside so its a form of temporary and cheap insulation that lasts as long as the tape holding it up does. Currently the tape on the bottom has given out but I leave plenty of margin so it's still controlling drafts. 

Think the world's biggest bubble wrap bubble but only over a single window. [ fun fact - bubble wrap was originally invented as insulation because the little air bubbles hold in warmth ]

This must be the sort of wisdom you only get from growing up in the North.  

Because although I've been up north for more than ten years, I never knew about this.  (Grew up in the South).

41 minutes ago, Winter_Rain said:

Because although I've been up north for more than ten years, I never knew about this.  (Grew up in the South).

My father used to DIY this during the winter when I was a kid.  Born and raised in the South.

1 hour ago, Winter_Rain said:

On the border in winter, a lot of the neighbors would physically staple heavy plastic sheets to the outside of their barns' or any outbuildings' windows to cut the leaks for the animals [ it had to be on the outside or the animals would eat them/barn cats would shred them ]. House equivalent would be heavier curtains which can be a bitch to change out if you didn't feel like stapling plastics to all the windows. 

Now, WalMart sells window kits for winter [ if you can find them - they either sell out fast or they never order enough to keep stocked up ] specifically for indoor use. No staples needed. :D My electricity bill is usually around $40 in the winter.