UnevenEdge

UEMB Skins/Themes

OK EVERYONE

@viperxmns is working on skins because I am terrible and he is a (f)artist. He has a draft for the default skin and wants people to prove input so he can refine it to the extent capable. After that, maybe tuning up the ASMB theme is on the list too, maybe even additional themeses if he enjoys it who knows?!

If willing to humor us, scroll to the themes tab at the bottom of the page and click on the new UEMB copy test and poke around, let him know what you think etc. Goal is a dark-themed site that is easy on the eyes but also looks good and easily identifiable.

image.png

mucho gracias to anyone willing to help out. (that means "much gracias" in spanish)

I've been on the ASMB Vibes 2.0 theme, switching over to make notes.

Personally, more a fan of the lighter grey for post backgrounds, a la ASMB. The black-on-almost-black is a bit much.

On the other hand, the ASMB theme has the awful greenish yellow color for things like the top banner, new reply circles, etc. Literally anything is better than that.

Blue thread title font is ok, think it's same/similar on all themes? But the green-on-hover is kinda clashy.

Square vs circle avatars, not a huge difference, personal opinion and all. There's probably some design philosophy that says circles are more aesthetically pleasing or something. I'd probably lean more towards squares.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Personally, more a fan of the lighter grey for post backgrounds, a la ASMB. The black-on-almost-black is a bit much.

On the other hand, the ASMB theme has the awful greenish yellow color for things like the top banner, new reply circles, etc. Literally anything is better than that.

Blue thread title font is ok, think it's same/similar on all themes? But the green-on-hover is kinda clashy.

Square vs circle avatars, not a huge difference, personal opinion and all. There's probably some design philosophy that says circles are more aesthetically pleasing or something. I'd probably lean more towards squares.

Circle avatars started because the intentions were for the avatars were to be the users' faces, nothing more, nothing less.

But we don't like that shit here and most of the Internet other than the really huge social media sites don't foster selfie avatars.

1 hour ago, rpgamer said:

updated based on this feedback, see what yall think, can adjust ofc

Edited by viperxmns

1 hour ago, Raptorpat said:

hey @[classic swim] do you have any input on tweaking the asmb theme? you are our resident asmb theme expert

Honored to have the title. :LithiumSmileyLaugh:

Just what I mentioned before with the lining of the quote boxes and whatnot. I’m not that critical of it otherwise as my main thing was already resolved within quick time.

1 hour ago, UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS said:

Sooo for the ASMB 2.0

This color scheme needs to change. 
The green is so bright my retinas burn.

Need to make UEMB stand out a little bit more. And the grey on grey when replying isn’t very aesthetically pleasing.

These are probably largely fixed in the "New UEMB Copy Test" theme, which seems to be the one made for making changes to nail things down without constantly changing things for users still on one of the older themes.

Pretty sure the spaceships aren't so much a theme thing as a site thing, requiring digging into actual site code, if they can  be removed at all.. (much like how I hate the sidebar creating a ton of empty space in large threads..)

• Like 1

On 11/2/2023 at 2:53 PM, Raptorpat said:

OK EVERYONE

@viperxmns is working on skins because I am terrible and he is a (f)artist. He has a draft for the default skin and wants people to prove input so he can refine it to the extent capable. After that, maybe tuning up the ASMB theme is on the list too, maybe even additional themeses if he enjoys it who knows?!

If willing to humor us, scroll to the themes tab at the bottom of the page and click on the new UEMB copy test and poke around, let him know what you think etc. Goal is a dark-themed site that is easy on the eyes but also looks good and easily identifiable.

image.png

mucho gracias to anyone willing to help out. (that means "much gracias" in spanish)

Ranked Choice voting format

1.New UEMB copy test

2.ASMB Vibes

3. New UEMB (Default)

4.ASMB Vibes 2 (It was awesome at first)

-10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 Default and test

-Denada Pat

fixed it

Edited by molarbear

Yeah that's the actual Invision default, some of the difficulty is that some things can't be easily inverted when you make a dark mode and require manual coding.

The skin we had on the previous version was a preset customized dark mode option that I manually tweaked. But it worked because there were already things that were manually coded to work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I only just noticed that the thread preview (when you hover over a thread title) has a weird very faint mis-aligned bubble around it. Has that always been a thing?

image.png.7be2d3d4bec04e0573fd4a9e201129dd.png

Oh wait, it's actually two bubbles. There's the thread preview box, then right around the edges is a rounded border that's just a few shades darker than background, and around that is another larger rounded border that's closer to the background grey bit still just slightly off.

• 1 month later...

S'ok. Nothing truly concerning, more a curiosity. There's just the faintest of gradients around the thread preview box. I can't even really show it off any better, it's so faint. But if you look close careful at the right side of that image, especially around the corners, you can see some rounded off not-as-blackness just outside the preview box (almost touches the corners, and just a bit outside that is another rounded region of slightly-not-as-dark.

Maybe probably a desktop-only thing? I have no idea how/if thread previews work on mobile.