UnevenEdge

What do you waste all of your money on, Disappointments?

InsaneFox

Just dropped $4,400 on my 17 year old car (new hybrid battery & replaced a bad wheel bearing).  Considering I burned through a good portion of my savings while unemployed, I feel like somebody doesn't want me to fix up my house (needs a new roof & rotting windows replaced).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

Just dropped $4,400 on my 17 year old car (new hybrid battery & replaced a bad wheel bearing).  Considering I burned through a good portion of my savings while unemployed, I feel like somebody doesn't want me to fix up my house (needs a new roof & rotting windows replaced).

Oof. I feel that. One of the things I’m not looking forward to dealing with after the house hunt.

I like to build race cars and have probably spent over 100k on it in the past 15 or so years. 

I also like music and have spent at least 20k on gear over the past 20 years. 

I also like to eat decent food and spend way to much on that haha there is also random manga, books, and miscellaneous shit that I splurge on. All my money ends up getting spent so might as well do it on shit I enjoy! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, InsaneFox said:

Oof. I feel that. One of the things I’m not looking forward to dealing with after the house hunt.

The annoying thing was that in 2020, I took it to the dealer that I bought it from for a 12v battery replacement and their "complementary" inspection came back with a laundry list of things that needed fixing - $3,400 worth.  I took it to a different dealer because the list included $1,400 for all 4 tires to be replaced (actual price of 4 Michelins would have been under $500 from my former employer).  The new dealer replaced the Hybrid, the wheel bearing, did a tire rotation & oil change for the previously mentioned $4,400.  They also did the "complementary" inspection and guess what else they found needed replacing - NOTHING.  I had none of the things the other dealer said needed fixing repaired.  What a difference a dealer makes.

1 hour ago, tsar4 said:

The annoying thing was that in 2020, I took it to the dealer that I bought it from for a 12v battery replacement and their "complementary" inspection came back with a laundry list of things that needed fixing - $3,400 worth.  I took it to a different dealer because the list included $1,400 for all 4 tires to be replaced (actual price of 4 Michelins would have been under $500 from my former employer).  The new dealer replaced the Hybrid, the wheel bearing, did a tire rotation & oil change for the previously mentioned $4,400.  They also did the "complementary" inspection and guess what else they found needed replacing - NOTHING.  I had none of the things the other dealer said needed fixing repaired.  What a difference a dealer makes.

I can believe that, there’s probably very little neutral oversight involved in that industry that people can just quote whatever price they want for whatever. 

7 hours ago, Rogue_Alphonse said:

Car stuff.

At least I can say, everything I have runs *and* drives.

I get cars and stuff, but it’s pretty impressive to have a driveable house and a refrigerator that can do a 50m sprint.

3 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

One month worth of records:

20230506-000822.jpg

20230518-212440.jpg

20230527-202450.jpg

20230520-182803.jpg

I have a problem.

Joe's Garage is a fucking classic. Anything from Zappa is. I have been collecting all of the live concert releases, and some of them get really pricey. 

Songs From The Big Chair is another classic too. Not a big fan of 80's music but I always loved Tears For Fears. 

3 hours ago, stilgar said:

I guess I waste my money on Battletech stuff since none of my friends seem interested in playing. But I am gonna make em.

I haven’t really been giving Catalyst any money since they fucked up with Shadowrun 6E. Probably not an entirely fair shake but it is what it is. Though I avoid miniatures gaming, I do not get joy from assembling and painting and that hobby makes my hobbies look super inexpensive by comparison.

1 hour ago, InsaneFox said:

I haven’t really been giving Catalyst any money since they fucked up with Shadowrun 6E. Probably not an entirely fair shake but it is what it is. Though I avoid miniatures gaming, I do not get joy from assembling and painting and that hobby makes my hobbies look super inexpensive by comparison.

Well, I'm a suckered for the minis and they come assembled. I also have no real desire to paint em so I'm not gonna. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stilgar said:

Well, I'm a suckered for the minis and they come assembled. I also have no real desire to paint em so I'm not gonna. 

That’s a fair and reasonable response. The girlfriend got me a giant Baba Yaga hut for our Pathfinder game and it’s… just going to live in the box.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

20230506-000822.jpg

20230518-212440.jpg

20230527-202450.jpg

20230520-182803.jpg

I have a problem.

That's no problem.  Working in a Music & Entertainment Dept. at a store for 7 years, that used a Record Distributor that I could special order anything in their catalog, now that's a problem.  The Record Distributor's rep. told me to stop ordering stuff because their people were running around to find it instead of filling other orders.  I'd play stuff I ordered in-store to make sure what I got wasn't scratched or warped, a customer or two would hear it & say, "can you get me that?".

500 lps, 500 45s, 200+ cds, about 25 inherited 78s, and another 250 inherited lps (mostly polkas & 50s-60s stuff).  Bought the house and had to stop.

14 hours ago, InsaneFox said:

I get cars and stuff, but it’s pretty impressive to have a driveable house and a refrigerator that can do a 50m sprint.

My house even has cruise control and she glides happily along at 75 miles per hour.

Also, it was free lol

Edited by Rogue_Alphonse

I don't by stuff like I used to, I pretty content with everything I have, but what I did spend, I spent basically on figures and trading cards (got a good 10k of those by this point). I fell out of both about 2 years. Although I still have a Yoko and Motoko figure on my radar in the future.

Need a proper new shelf for this stuff, right now sadly it's collecting dust in the spare room. And no it's not normally organized like that, had to put everything like that to get a few good pictures.

Spoiler

jRXBY85.jpeg

zRgiUb3.jpeg

GpZlwsV.jpeg

LpKBmT1.jpeg

B2RdNzq.jpg

Edited by LoverDemon

20 hours ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

20230506-000822.jpg

I have a problem.

I have a massive box of 45s and I have no idea what to do with them. As for 12" ones, I have some old electronic music and this cool record that was made for DJs to mix in video game sounds and music into the sets. Always wanted to get into records more but my other vices have been winning out. 

The most expensive thing I do these days is go drinking throughout the week.

Otherwise I get in the occasional habit of repurchasing PS2 games or finding some I’ve never played.

I should’ve bought an n64 in 2012 when I’d see it go for just 20 bucks. Thought about buying that and an original Xbox, just don’t know if either is worth the hassle. If I bothered to fix my PSP through some electronic place then I could start using that again too.

3 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

Otherwise I get in the occasional habit of repurchasing PS2 games or finding some I’ve never played.

I should’ve bought an n64 in 2012 when I’d see it go for just 20 bucks. Thought about buying that and an original Xbox, just don’t know if either is worth the hassle. If I bothered to fix my PSP through some electronic place then I could start using that again too.

I have a refurbished original PS2 that I'm playing at this very moment. I tried to get my old memory cards from my nephew when I gave him the last PS2 I had, but he got rid of everything (system, games, and all) when it had quit working on him. I was real irritated with him, but I eventually just let it go. What really stinks is I had GTA: Vice City and San Andreas beaten and saved on memory cards and I just don't feel like getting those games and starting completely from scratch so I've been sticking with sports games. I do have some hunting games as well as a surfing game so it's not all sports, sports, sports. (Oh, and a DragonBall Z fighting game.)

My other gaming system is a PS4, which I admit I use primarily for watching TV when Dish is not working due to inclement weather. When I do play games on it, again, it's usually sports games, but I do love playing other games as well, like the South Park games, Star Wars Battlefront I and II, and Saints Row IV (the one where you're the POTUS, I think), and the Spider-Man games. I may decide to get a PS5 eventually, but I want them to go down in price first. They're way, way too expensive right now.

Edited by Gemini
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Gemini said:

I have a refurbished original PS2 that I'm playing at this very moment. I tried to get my old memory cards from my nephew when I gave him the last PS2 I had, but he got rid of everything (system, games, and all) when it had quit working on him. I was real irritated with him, but I eventually just let it go. What really stinks is I had GTA: Vice City and San Andreas beaten and saved on memory cards and I just don't feel like getting those games and starting completely from scratch so I've been sticking with sports games. I do have some hunting games as well as a surfing game so it's not all sports, sports, sports. (Oh, and a DragonBall Z fighting game.)

I’ve kept that fat model since ‘01! Very first console of my own.

It should’ve died on me a long time ago, but I guess years of it being rarely used or plugged in has helped. In pretty bad shape though. The laser disc has had issues for a decade now. Used to only mishap with one game and now it takes at least a couple or a few minutes to boot up any disc.

I’m probably gonna have to buy another one and keep everything else. I know I should just fix these things myself but I don’t wanna risk making it any worse.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

If you get an original Xbox you need to either make sure it's had its clock capacitor changed already or that you can do that yourself. Otherwise its a ticking time bomb that can destroy the motherboard since most original Xboxes used cheap capacitors that corrode and spill acid onto the motherboard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, [classic swim] said:

I’ve kept that fat model since ‘01! Very first console of my own.

It should’ve died on me a long time ago, but I guess years of it being rarely used or plugged in has helped. In pretty bad shape though. The laser disc has had issues for a decade now. Used to only mishap with one game and now it takes at least a couple or a few minutes to boot up any disc.

I’m probably gonna have to buy another one and keep everything else. I know I should just fix these things myself but I don’t wanna risk making it any worse.

My first PS2 was a fat one, too. It lasted nine years, mainly because I kept it on a lot. (But I also played it a lot so I got a hell of a lot of use out of it.) The second one I had was a slim, but it was previously owned yet not refurbished and it had been knocked around quite a bit before I even got it, unbeknownst to me at the time. When that bit the dust, I got another fat one near the end of 2014 from a local retro gaming store and that was the one I gave to my nephew in 2019. I didn't really play it that much when I had it so it should've lasted him quite a few years so that's why I was shocked to find out it had bit the dust. This is my fourth PS2, and I've replaced the power cord as well as the A/V cord. (The A/V cord was replaced a week and a half ago.) I also have two second-hand controllers that work pretty well. So I'm lucky in that regard.

GunStarHero: What kind of maintenance do you recommend, if anything, for the fat PS2? I'm curious to know. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

If you get an original Xbox you need to either make sure it's had its clock capacitor changed already or that you can do that yourself. Otherwise its a ticking time bomb that can destroy the motherboard since most original Xboxes used cheap capacitors that corrode and spill acid onto the motherboard. 

i do plan on getting one eventually but will also be doing like an hdmi mod that directly takes the signal from the video source. also probably a hard drive replacement mod for like an ssd one with bigger capacity. 

the og xbox does need some good amount of maintenance

https://console5.com/store/microsoft-xbox-original-cap-kit.html

1 hour ago, Distortedreasoning said:

i do plan on getting one eventually but will also be doing like an hdmi mod that directly takes the signal from the video source. also probably a hard drive replacement mod for like an ssd one with bigger capacity. 

the og xbox does need some good amount of maintenance

https://console5.com/store/microsoft-xbox-original-cap-kit.html

There's a ton you can do, but getting the capacitor squared away is the main concern. Both my OG Xboxes have had them replaced and are softmodded. I just use FTP to put games on them. Used to have one with thousands of games but unless they were original Xbox games I just couldn't get into playing them with the Xbox controller. Last month I took one to a classic Halo event so the Halo CE guys could play 2v2s. They use a special version of the game called Halo PE which is modified in various ways but I had to install it via an FTP cause they are real uptight about who gets access to those files. But yea, change out the capacitor for the clock and get a softmod kit and you're off to the races. 

7 hours ago, GunStarHero said:

I took one to a classic Halo event so the Halo CE guys could play 2v2s. They use a special version of the game called Halo PE which is modified in various ways but I had to install it via an FTP cause they are real uptight about who gets access to those files. 

Damn, now I’m jealous. Used to play some Blood Gulch rounds with my friends a few times at this Internet cafe.

Halo would be the main reason why I’d even want an original Xbox. That and some other 3D shooters/games that I could never get with Sony. I got the Master Chief Collection and all but I always wanted to test out the original method. Especially with Halo 2.

58 minutes ago, [classic swim] said:

Damn, now I’m jealous. Used to play some Blood Gulch rounds with my friends a few times at this Internet cafe.

Halo would be the main reason why I’d even want an original Xbox. That and some other 3D shooters/games that I could never get with Sony. I got the Master Chief Collection and all but I always wanted to test out the original method. Especially with Halo 2.

There are many ways to play Halo 2 right now. Best one is Project Cartographer on PC which is a fan mod of Halo 2 Vista that works really well. You can also play on Xlink Kai since there is a consistent group that plays that every day. There is Xemu which runs on PC and is basically an original Xbox emulator. MCC also works but I think it's the worst way to play. And Insignia is in the works to have Xbox Live running in old school Xboxes but Halo 2 will take awhile. If Insignia works then you can have all the original functions of Xbox Live, including matchmaking and ranks on Halo 2. 

• Thanks 1