UnevenEdge

Life in the Hermit Kingdom of N. Korea, OR IS IT?

discolé monade

7 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

NK has cars?

Yes they do. They 'bought' 1000 Volvos from Sweden back in the 70's on condition of payment upon delivery. They kept the cars. And the money. :D 

22 hours ago, Raptorpat said:

Photos: Inside And Around North Korea's Still-Unfinished 'Hotel Of Doom' :  The Two-Way : NPR

I think the main question on everyone's mind is how's the rent? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

yeah, but it's clean, and looks very similar to this n. korean airport. 

N Korea is so clean because if you dare to litter they probably legally beat the shit out of the offenders

I am more surprised that there’s a clean airport in the US than a nice airport in N Korea when I think about it 

• Thanks 3

I used to live behind LaGuardia airport and they were doing some sort of construction over there. So many rats.  A disturbing amount. I know that construction usually makes rat populations more visible but this was just so many.  My point being airports are gross behind the scenes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, discolé monade said:

yeah, but it's clean, and looks very similar to this n. korean airport. 

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but the most notable thing for me about the Pyongyang airport was how small it was for a nation's capitol.

The terminals do look similar in set up, but John Wayne is a regional airport despite having some international flights that go in and out and has only one commercial, one GA runway (LAX has three commercial and one GA/Commercial).  It also has far more restrictions to its operations than LAX, such as noise ordinances, which impact the number and time of the flights going in and out.  In that respect, the cleanliness ofJohn Wayne is at least partly a function of light use.  Comparatively, Pyongyang Sunan International Airport has just two terminals (LAX has nine) and two runways (albeit fairly long ones).  It looks like the video was taken from the 7-8 year old international terminal which would be unlikely to have much use in any situation.  It would be interesting to see what the domestic terminal would look like given the likelihood there are more domestic flights and there are fewer reasons to maintain a pristine space.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2023 at 6:15 PM, 1pooh4u said:

good looking out!

so i got about a year to plan.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2023 at 11:15 AM, 1pooh4u said:

I used to live behind LaGuardia airport and they were doing some sort of construction over there. So many rats.  A disturbing amount. I know that construction usually makes rat populations more visible but this was just so many.  My point being airports are gross behind the scenes 

i always flew into laguardia. had not been since the 90's. 

so, last year, seeing how much it had changed. i was a little bt shocked. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, discolé monade said:

i always flew into laguardia. had not been since the 90's. 

so, last year, seeing how much it had changed. i was a little bt shocked. 

I haven’t been there in a long time.  They say it’s really nice now. I remember a grungier airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone's got a chip on his shoulder.

7 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

junche monument, tower of eternal life, arch of triumph, arch of reunification, and of course gotta visit their subway station. 

Which station?  Despite what the MAIN STREAM PROPOGANDA MACHINE tells you, there is more than one subway station.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2023 at 8:47 AM, scoobdog said:

Someone's got a chip on his shoulder.

Which station?  Despite what the MAIN STREAM PROPOGANDA MACHINE tells you, there is more than one subway station.

I wonder when he's going to get on peoples cases for calling it N. and S. Korea instead of the DPRK.

• Haha 2

On 6/1/2023 at 4:07 AM, Distortedreasoning said:

junche monument, tower of eternal life, arch of triumph, arch of reunification, and of course gotta visit their subway station. 

There are plenty of cheaper and more interesting places in Asia to explore that don't involve the risk of detainment.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2023 at 12:39 AM, Distortedreasoning said:

how about the u.s ends the war and get out of korea entirely? 

I'm sure you'd turn heel after the fact and start going "why didn't we defend South Korea" after they started firing missiles into Japan and probably started the largest known refugee crisis known to mankind to this point. The U.S. military isn't in these places to sit around with their dicks in hand, they're there to keep the region stable, which in turn benefits peace via economic growth and trade. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ZoomBubba said:

I'm sure you'd turn heel after the fact and start going "why didn't we defend South Korea" after they started firing missiles into Japan and probably started the largest known refugee crisis known to mankind to this point. The U.S. military isn't in these places to sit around with their dicks in hand, they're there to keep the region stable, which in turn benefits peace via economic growth and trade. 

15 military bases/insallations is a bit excessive. even for the us military complex. 

can't hide those crates of money forever. 

Edited by discolé monade
hai
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ZoomBubba said:

our presence is the cause for the instability in the first place. especially in korea. 

part of the agreement to the cease fire was for both china and the usa to withdraw entirely from korea. we split that country in two and supported a puppet government. story sounds familiar. 

how do you keep falling or the same propaganda time and time again? 

the history of this country is full of examples of the usa causing shit around the world. 

• D'oh 1

13 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

our presence is the cause for the instability in the first place. especially in korea. 

part of the agreement to the cease fire was for both china and the usa to withdraw entirely from korea. we split that country in two and supported a puppet government. story sounds familiar. 

how do you keep falling or the same propaganda time and time again? 

the history of this country is full of examples of the usa causing shit around the world. 

Whether or not the US caused a thing does not change what that thing now is. And North Korea, regardless of the US' past, present, or future involvement, is currently run by a dictatorship. Recognizing a country as being run by a dictatorship when it is, isn't the same as endorsing the actions which led to the dictatorship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, naraku360 said:

Whether or not the US caused a thing does not change what that thing now is. And North Korea, regardless of the US' past, present, or future involvement, is currently run by a dictatorship. Recognizing a country as being run by a dictatorship when it is, isn't the same as endorsing the actions which led to the dictatorship.

And it's one of the few times we haven't created said dictatorship.  There are plenty of other examples of us propping up monsters to serve our needs, then leaving a power vacuum when said monster is deposed that allows an almost in an authoritarian leader that is almost as bad.  Cuba, for instance.

• Like 2