UnevenEdge

Do you like cheap Easter chocolate?

stilgar

12 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I was going to laugh but, shit… there’s like dead and missing.

Oh trust me, my reply went through a few revisions before I hit 'post' just because of that. -.-; 

The line between attempting to lighten the mood and being a complete and total dickhead is really thin sometimes. 

52 minutes ago, 1pooh4u said:

I saw this yesterday but the headline said “Pennsylvania chocolate factory” and I was kinda relieved that it was Palmer and not Hershey. Both aren’t great but Palmer is worse 

Yeah, my first thought was "did hershey explode?" because I had no idea there were other chocolate factories in PA.

Edited by stilgar
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tsar4 said:

Everything I've heard about Ethel M. (Mars) Chocolate's is that they will show how weak Hershey is by comparison.

It depends on your taste, of course, but a candy bar confectioner isn’t building depth into its chocolate like a more traditional confectioner like See’s, Helen Grace, or Godiva.

3 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

It depends on your taste, of course, but a candy bar confectioner isn’t building depth into its chocolate like a more traditional confectioner like See’s, Helen Grace, or Godiva.

That depends on the Maker.  My paternal grandmother worked for the Original Mars.  Their chocolate didn't burn in my throat like Hershey's did and still does.  Ethel M. chocolates grew out of Forrest Mars' boredom in retiring from Mars.  

2 minutes ago, tsar4 said:

That depends on the Maker.  My paternal grandmother worked for the Original Mars.  Their chocolate didn't burn in my throat like Hershey's did and still does.  Ethel M. chocolates grew out of Forrest Mars' boredom in retiring from Mars.  

I mean not really.  Candy bars are an entirely different beast for a myriad of reasons.  They have preservatives designed to make the bar more portable, longer lasting, and less susceptible to heat.  The chocolate itself is often used as a casing for whatever the bar’s center has in it, rather than being a centerpiece for the confection.  The ingredients themselves are often of poorer quality.  That’s been the case all along, but it’s been exacerbated since the latter half of the 20th century as chemically altered ingredients ( like HFCs) have caused additional health impacts without necessarily changing the taste.

56 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Why is it bullshit?

Because it cost like $3 while we are all taking pot shots at cheap vs stupidly expensive chocolates. :D:D:D 

I'm usually on the side of the cheap Hershey's ones myself if I do have any chocolates around here. Chocolove doesn't fall under the 'snack category' but that's what its going to be because it 'expires' this month. 

• Like 1