UnevenEdge

State of the Union 2023

Raptorpat

Dealing with a toddler, but my most prominent thoughts:

• the first half hour (before most people check out) was generally recapturing bipartisan accomplishments and things Republicans would have to contort really hard to criticize
  • McCarthy looks really annoyed whenever he has to clap
  • then he pivots into partisan accomplishments and threatens a hard veto of anything that walks them back (prescription drug price controls)
  • he called out Republicans for voting on the debt ceiling three times for Trump and demanded they do the same, got lots and lots of boos but then he seemed to get them to commit to taking social security/medicare/medicaid off the table via universal applause on live television
  • basically he's mostly rhetorically been boxing in the Republicans on things that aren't traditionally partisan, with occasional breaks to try and thread a needle (or sometimes hammer) on more partisan things like climate change/energy, the pro act, policing, banning assault weapons, abortion, LGBTQ rights
  • jfc you can see Sen. Sinema's angel banana suit from a mile away
  • doubled down on supporting Ukraine "for as long as it takes", missed what he said about China but talking real tough about the balloon just now (McCarthy's twitter complained that Biden hadn't talked about China yet while he was talking about China)
  • he's back to the hyper-bipartisan talk on cancer, praising GWB for the investments to end HIV to get the Republicans on board for curing cancer
  • def running for reelection and this was the preview
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I didnt bother to watch it last night, there was a hockey game on that was far more entertaining.
Ive seen a lot of takes this morning that are pretty hilarious. Among the best are the ones claiming that McCarthy broke decorum with his facial expressions throughout the night. These claims are coming from the same people who lauded Pelosi for tearing Trumps SOTU live on TV, so I have a hard time buying their "outrage".

All a modern day SOTU is is performance art designed to give pundits a chance to express "OUTRAGE111!!!!1!" over something they said while allowing supporters a chance to gush over some useless thing said.

We should just go back to delivering the SOTU as a written report and move on with our lives.

• Thanks 1

Pelosi tore up the speech after he was done.  McCarthy was being emotive during the speech which contributed to it being disruptive.  Also, I've never heard any Democrat ever disrupt one of Trump's speeches like a few Republicans have over recent years.

But, I agree that the outrage is kind of pointless at this point only because we knew before this speech that it would be a pointless exercise.

Those "campaign contributions" are hittin'  o.O

123.thumb.jpg.8a73aaefda6e0f6eb5759513d5c893b7.jpg

- "What kind of fur coat were you looking for?"

- "Well, i'm going to wear it at my job, so I want it to say i'm going to work....but not for you. Y'know what I mean?"

- "It's 2023 and I work in a fur coat store. I know exactly what you mean."

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mix said:

Hide contents

- "Well, i'm going to wear it at my job, so I want it to say i'm going to work....but not for you. Y'know what I mean?"

I outright call it a bathrobe and I'm not backing down. 

It looks like cheap wool and shiba-ass fur. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Mix said:

Hide contents

8 minutes ago, katt_goddess said:

I outright call it a bathrobe and I'm not backing down. 

It looks like cheap wool and shiba-ass fur. 

I hate everyone here so fucking much! 😭😭😭😭😭😭

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Mix said:

Hide contents

"This 101 Dalmatians remake sucks."

• Haha 5

Nearly three-quarters (73%) of the people who watched Biden’s speech were 55 and older, Nielsen said. Only 5% were young adults under age 35.

https://apnews.com/article/biden-state-of-the-union-address-tv-bill-clinton-e46d03dcc4bab5a39f71ee7c81fc700c

His speech was absolutely one hundred percent geared towards that 73% audience. One of the most consistent themes was his administration as the defender of old people and their benefits and their wallets.

• Thanks 1