UnevenEdge

The November Replacement is Made in Abyss (Another Poke Sorta-Megapost)

PokeNirvash

6 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

If they had something close, you would think they would have opted for a more temporary solution. Double Naruto or Yashahime being the obvious picks. Instead opting for the 6+ month solution doesn’t make it seem like anything else is lined up

why do you think Jason Demarco said more announcements are coming...saying soon hopefully makes it seem like they are working on acquiring something but as you said the MHA S5 rerun upfront doesn't make sense for that

15 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

So wait, are we really losing a whole hour of the block? It seems dumb to not at least run reruns later in the night for the hour we would be losing? What will replace these two lost slots, just regular [as] programming?

The block has been struggling for most of the year to handle 4 hours. Primarily with the bumpers, some of which have stayed the same the entire year. Yes, it’s just the rerun portion, however that still needs bumps and dialog which is work + money. Not to mention the loss of the recent originals means they don’t have a huge pool of reruns to choose from. 

Id assume if the hour is being cut, they will just put more Futurama or KotH there. Both of which will likely do better and alleviate some of unnecessary workload for the Toonami crew.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

The block has been struggling for most of the year to handle 4 hours. Primarily with the bumpers, some of which have stayed the same the entire year. Yes, it’s just the rerun portion, however that still needs bumps and dialog which is work + money. Not to mention the loss of the recent originals means they don’t have a huge pool of reruns to choose from. 

Id assume if the hour is being cut, they will just put more Futurama or KotH there. Both of which will likely do better and alleviate some of unnecessary workload for the Toonami crew.

This is so saddening but the most likely scenario. Futurama etc. will more than likely bring better ratings but I am still so saddened to see another hour go :(

4 minutes ago, atomicinumatt said:

Yea I am definitely not going to like only 3 hours of Toonami.. Here is to hoping that they would actually ever extend the block again.

I'm bummed about this new schedule but at the same time....it's really feeling like if you wanna watch toonami

you are better off making your own toonami lineup with streaming services since staying up every saturday night just for MIA S2 and Yashahime(in terms of new content)might not seem worth it

• Like 1

Just now, CountFrylock said:

why do you think Jason Demarco said more announcements are coming...saying soon hopefully makes it seem like they are working on acquiring something but as you said the MHA S5 rerun upfront doesn't make sense for that

I dunno. He did say this in mid September and it took till the tail end of October for him to deliver half of this promise. 

Excluding the 5th, there are 5 normal Toonami nights left in 2022 if we assume a Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years marathon are on the table. I highly doubt anything else new will fit into that timeframe 

8CD915C3-F165-4882-9E71-75372065F970.jpeg

1 minute ago, CountFrylock said:

I'm bummed about this new schedule but at the same time....it's really feeling like if you wanna watch toonami

you are better off making your own toonami lineup with streaming services since staying up every saturday night just for MIA S2 and Yashahime(in terms of new content)might not seem worth it

Absolutely. I have Funi/Crunchy and HiDIVE plus Hulu and have pretty much everything I want there currently. 

I watch Toonami purely out of nostalgia. I have already scene MiA S2 and most of what they have, I just miss the glory days and am trying to relive what I can of them while it is still around haha 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, atomicinumatt said:

Absolutely. I have Funi/Crunchy and HiDIVE plus Hulu and have pretty much everything I want there currently. 

I watch Toonami purely out of nostalgia. I have already scene MiA S2 and most of what they have, I just miss the glory days and am trying to relive what I can of them while it is still around haha 

i have crunchyroll for anime but i watch toonami also out of nostalgia but it's getting hard because it seems like there's less and less for me to watch and the atmosphere is what makes toonami for me

but lately that atmosphere has been lackluster....music videos are rare and so are video game reviews these days

don't get much in the way of actual Tom/Sara Banter and the bumpers have gotten really repetitive

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

I dunno. He did say this in mid September and it took till the tail end of October for him to deliver half of this promise. 

Excluding the 5th, there are 5 normal Toonami nights left in 2022 if we assume a Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years marathon are on the table. I highly doubt anything else new will fit into that timeframe 

8CD915C3-F165-4882-9E71-75372065F970.jpeg

6 normal Toonami nights. December has 5 Saturdays. Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are DEFINITELY gonna be marathon nights. Thanksgiving is iffy.

But if they ARE still trying to get the rights to that MiA movie and it just hasn't happened YET, maybe they would air it, followed by a replay of the first 3 episodes, that weekend? After all, something similar happened last year...

Naaaaah, wishful thinking. Guess if I want to watch the movie, I'll just have to use HiDIVE. 🙄

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

i have crunchyroll for anime but i watch toonami also out of nostalgia but it's getting hard because it seems like there's less and less for me to watch and the atmosphere is what makes toonami for me

but lately that atmosphere has been lackluster....music videos are rare and so are video game reviews these days

don't get much in the way of actual Tom/Sara Banter and the bumpers have gotten really repetitive

It is a shame. And you are right, at least for me, the atmosphere is a big part of it. Tom/Sara, the bumps and music etc., it all makes the block what it is to me. 

Still, I will enjoy watching the cable airing of Golden City of the Scorching Sun as it breaks me again and just hope that [as]/Toomami have something up there sleeves or that we get some better luck in the future and things actually improve. Doubtful, so I will just have fun while I can haha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

But if they ARE still trying to get the rights to that MiA movie and it just hasn't happened YET, maybe they would air it, followed by a replay of the first 3 episodes, that weekend? After all, something similar happened last year...

Naaaaah, wishful thinking. Guess if I want to watch the movie, I'll just have to use HiDIVE. 🙄

Ah, the ol Hellsing trick. Tell everyone you can’t get something and to watch it elsewhere, but continue to attempt to get that thing you told people you wouldn’t get and they should watch somewhere else. Then get mad when it flops. 

That’d be some classic Demarco right there 

• Haha 3

Woah nelly, got a lot to unpack here. First of all, I'm happy we're getting MiA S2 and I'm okay with the movie not airing on Toonami, which I had doubts about from the start. At least DeMarco told us it was out of their hands. So, you think we should hold a groupwatch of Dawn of the Deep Soul on this forum? It can be either on Halloween, or in early November (maybe even the night before the show returns to Toonami) if that's too quick.

A few other miscellaneous thoughts:

• I feel like they could've reran Housing Complex C, even though it's only four episodes, but I think the crew is counting on it being written off pretty soon. The upcoming marathon will probably be your only other chance to catch it, is what I was implying in the other thread. Primal reruns are a nice move; frankly, I wouldn't have cared if they lead off the block again.
  • This is probably not gonna happen, but I'm hoping MHA S5 reruns are a placeholder for Bleach: TYBW and they're still ironing out the contract for that one. Don't know where the former would move to or how worthy the latter would be at more than a one-day gap following the premiere, but it's fun to hope.
  • Only one episode of One Piece is looking sus. Hope it doesn't mean bad things for this show on Toonami yet again. Hopefully it's just a budget-saving move, or maybe stalling as Toonamiguy321 mentioned.
  • I should said this earlier, but for DST this year, I was hoping they'd do a stealth premiere of the new Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie. It would be fitting given that the first one aired on April Fools Day in the past (complete with tiny size and loud banner ads), plus it also popped up after Toonami in the past. Still, more Primal? Hard to complain about that.

At this point, I'm just happy that we're not taking a mulligan on the rest of the year. But 2023 better be a big year for Toonami, Zaslav's fiscal chainsaw be damned, just like it should be for my favorite band ahead of their 40th anniversary.

[24-year-old anime fan marcus esquandolas]

1 hour ago, Blatch said:

This is probably not gonna happen, but I'm hoping MHA S5 reruns are a placeholder for Bleach: TYBW and they're still ironing out the contract for that one. Don't know where the former would move to or how worthy the latter would be at more than a one-day gap following the premiere, but it's fun to hope.

That doesn’t make sense. Unless the deal is going to take over 6 months, if a deal was close, they would have chosen a more temporary option like a double up or a briefer rerun. 

People held this same optimistic opinion when we got the Super rerun at midnight, and that ended up staying the lead show for almost its entire rerun. 

• Like 1

Looking it over, MHA S5 sounds like Crunchyroll finally was able to exercise an option to keep new episodes out of Toonami.  Speaking of, between Crunchyroll releasing the animated movies, and Netflix gearing up for its LA Game of Thrones level adaptation, I’m wondering if they’re trying to get it off Toonami.

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

I wonder if season 5's gonna get yoinked off the schedule part of the way through because the rights run out or if the contract on it is just long enough that it'll finish up before they lose it.

I think they’ll have it till May of 2023 which might be just long enough.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sketch said:

I think they’ll have it till May of 2023 which might be just long enough.

Hopefully they can get Bleach: TYBW by then, but more likely we're talking June if Yashahime is any indication. Maybe even as late as August if Second Act is any indication...

PRIMAL is an interesting choice for the closing rerun. It will be interesting to see which episodes they air. If they go all the way back to Season 1, that would be 1-3 from 2019.

Edited by OwlChemist81

13 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

That doesn’t make sense. Unless the deal is going to take over 6 months, if a deal was close, they would have chosen a more temporary option like a double up or a briefer rerun. 

People held this same optimistic opinion when we got the Super rerun at midnight, and that ended up staying the lead show for almost its entire rerun. 

Yeah, I came to this conclusion myself. They would've reran Housing Complex C right away if that was the case, or even brought Primal back to the top.

12 hours ago, Jman said:

Speaking of, between Crunchyroll releasing the animated movies, and Netflix gearing up for its LA Game of Thrones level adaptation, I’m wondering if they’re trying to get it off Toonami.

(referring to One Piece)

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

If it has, it's not taking effect this year.

Also, I heard it was that they were trying to get rid of standard time and make it DST year-round.

It has not. The bill quickly passed senate, then got stalled in the house. It’s not dead though, and I believe they have till spring to make a choice on it. Once the elections wrap up they may get to it. At least I hope they do, no more DST is a dream for me. 

I think the intended cycle, even if it did pass, was next weeks DST would still happen. Then March springs forward and we never play with the clocks again after that. The wording for which one stays and which goes never made sense to me, but whichever time is the one where it’s night at 5pm is the one meant to go away I believe. 

This might be fun:

Comprehensive list of SERIES aired on Toonami in 2022 (thru 11/5):

1. Blade Runner Black Lotus
  2. YashaHime
  3. Cowboy Bebop*
  4. Assassination Classroom
  5. Naruto Shippuden
  6. Made In Abyss
  7. One Piece
  8. Shenmue The Animation*
  9. Attack On Titan
  10. Lupin the 3rd Part 6*
  11. PRIMAL*
  12. Housing Complex C*
  13. The Promised Neverland
  14. My Hero Academia

*Denotes series that aired in full

Compare that to 2021...

Edited by OwlChemist81

3 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

This might be fun:

Comprehensive list of SERIES aired on Toonami in 2022 (thru 11/5):

1. Blade Runner Black Lotus
  2. YashaHime
  3. Cowboy Bebop*
  4. Assassination Classroom
  5. Naruto Shippuden
  6. Made In Abyss
  7. One Piece
  8. Shenmue The Animation*
  9. Lupin the 3rd Part 6*
  10. PRIMAL*
  11. Housing Complex C*
  12. The Promised Neverland
  13. My Hero Academia

*Denotes series that aired in full

Compare that to 2021...

Let’s trim it up to premiers. I also believe you forgot AoT

1. Assassination Classroom S2

2. Made in Abyss S1

3. One Piece

4. Attack on Titan

5. Shenmue

6. Lupin the Third Part 6

7. Housing Complex C

8. Yashahime S2

9. Made in Abyss S2

10. Naruto Shippuden

10 and a half. Half of Black Lotus

So for the entire year, 10 1/2 new shows. One which has been with us since 2014, and one that was only 4 total episodes. 

Not quite as devoid of content as it feels like, but this year still is going down is very underwhelming. But at this time next year, we will probably look back and say “wow 10 and a half new shows! We were spoiled!”

• Thanks 1

https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1585840501546438656?cxt=HHwWgMDS0ZbihIIsAAAA

Check this out, looks like MHA is NOT starting at the first episode of the season, but rather episode 23. That changes everything. I don’t want to raise the S6 flag just yet, but this is clearly not meant to be permanent.

Which begs the question, why didn’t Demarco clearly articulate this to the fans yesterday? Why didn’t the Facebook post clearly state it’s a late season episode? Two simple changes could have completely flipped the reactions to yesterday’s schedule drop. But they instead opted for vagueness which forced everyone to assume the worst. 

Also, if it holds into the following week, looks like Jack and Black Dynamite will be the show taking over the 3am slot. Outside of the block so they don’t have to spend money on bumpers id assume. 

• Thanks 2

I'd laugh pretty hard if come December it's not MHA season 6 that joins but instead Bleach.

But yeah it looks like either the pre-existing deal or some influence from Toho (not to be confused with Toei) brought MHA back for another season, Toonami just doesn't get to air it QUITE yet. Certainly a downgrade from the turnaround for seasons 4 and 5 but it wont end up being a full season behind.

Bleach might have to wait till YashaHime ends or some arbitrary number of weeks has passed but it still leaves me perplexed as to why Hulu would stream the dub on Fridays rather than Monday with the simulcast but maybe they just wanted to have them on different days.

If MHA season 6 is starting in December than November is a bit of bummer besides Made in Abyss season 2 airing but good things do seem to be on the horizon for December.

Time to start guessing what series will get holiday marathons, particularly on the last two Saturdays of December. I'm inclined to think they'll do a One Piece Punk Hazard marathon one of those weeks just because they can but they're short on options for the other days. MiA season 2 will have 6 episodes aired by December 24th so that could be an option as well. And as for Thanksgiving they could potentially rerun the whole Villain arc of MHA season 5 before starting season 6 in December. But here's a thought. The block is down to six slots now and they happen to have 6 episode long seasons of a series that they will be pushing next year... so maybe they'll do FLCL marathons on 1 to 3 of those Saturdays?

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sketch said:

Time to start guessing what series will get holiday marathons, particularly on the last two Saturdays of December. I'm inclined to think they'll do a One Piece Punk Hazard marathon one of those weeks just because they can but they're short on options for the other days. MiA season 2 will have 6 episodes aired by December 24th so that could be an option as well. And as for Thanksgiving they could potentially rerun the whole Villain arc of MHA season 5 before starting season 6 in December. But here's a thought. The block is down to six slots now and they happen to have 6 episode long seasons of a series that they will be pushing next year... so maybe they'll do FLCL marathons on 1 to 3 of those Saturdays?

FLCL S1 is one of my favorite classics. I would absolutely love to see a S1 marathon for one of the holiday weekends.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

I'd laugh pretty hard if come December it's not MHA season 6 that joins but instead Bleach.

But yeah it looks like either the pre-existing deal or some influence from Toho (not to be confused with Toei) brought MHA back for another season, Toonami just doesn't get to air it QUITE yet. Certainly a downgrade from the turnaround for seasons 4 and 5 but it wont end up being a full season behind.

Bleach might have to wait till YashaHime ends or some arbitrary number of weeks has passed but it still leaves me perplexed as to why Hulu would stream the dub on Fridays rather than Monday with the simulcast but maybe they just wanted to have them on different days.

If MHA season 6 is starting in December than November is a bit of bummer besides Made in Abyss season 2 airing but good things do seem to be on the horizon for December.

I could see a scenario where we end up with a normal lineup on Thanksgiving weekend this year, and that lineup is headlined by MHA Season 6's Season Premiere. That would mean 4 episodes of Season 6 get to premiere in late November and early December before the obligatory marathons for Christmas and New Year's Eves.

Considering only the rerun, PRIMAL, which is going to reair Season 2, that really does work out the best--or does it? With 7 episodes left and only 6 weeks, the rerun's finale would be pushed into 2023 before giving something else, perhaps Housing Complex C, a spin in the closer slot.

Another possibility is that Adult Swim actually DOES get the 8 PM hour back AND Toonami expands to 11:30 PM to squeeze in Bleach: TYBW on 1/7/23. But that DOES seem kinda far-fetched at this point...

10 hours ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

https://twitter.com/swimpedia/status/1585840501546438656?cxt=HHwWgMDS0ZbihIIsAAAA

Check this out, looks like MHA is NOT starting at the first episode of the season, but rather episode 23. That changes everything. I don’t want to raise the S6 flag just yet, but this is clearly not meant to be permanent.

Which begs the question, why didn’t Demarco clearly articulate this to the fans yesterday? Why didn’t the Facebook post clearly state it’s a late season episode? Two simple changes could have completely flipped the reactions to yesterday’s schedule drop. But they instead opted for vagueness which forced everyone to assume the worst. 

Also, if it holds into the following week, looks like Jack and Black Dynamite will be the show taking over the 3am slot. Outside of the block so they don’t have to spend money on bumpers id assume. 

i do wonder why they didn't state those reruns were temporary...

9 hours ago, Sketch said:

That’s exactly what I was thinking. In my eyes, Bleach still has a better chance than S6. The elephant in the room is obviously, why rerun MHA then? And I’d say two reasons, one they have a habit of parking a show in its intended slot and never moving it, so MiA S2 is not meant to leave 12:30. Secondly, the only real option for a lead otherwise is Yashahime, and we have all seen the ratings that has been pulling. 

At the end of the day, MHA S6 or Bleach doesn’t matter, either would be a slam dunk pickup for the block. 

• Thanks 1

The way I see it, Bleach probably cost an absolute assload of money. Toonami's the only platform with an actual interest in the broadcast rights,  but I could definitely see Disney paying extra just to keep it out of a competitor's hands unless Viz or someone on Japan's side stepped in and demanded an actual broadcast with those rights. If they managed to snag it that means a guaranteed home run for the next year, and if they didn't it means there's recently been a whole lot of cash freed up they can use for multiple smaller shows. Either way we win, unless the overlords decide to cut the budget even further or Zaslav just nukes the block entirely for a massive $65 tax write off.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, EmpressAngel said:

The way I see it, Bleach probably cost an absolute assload of money. Toonami's the only platform with an actual interest in the broadcast rights,  but I could definitely see Disney paying extra just to keep it out of a competitor's hands unless Viz or someone on Japan's side stepped in and demanded an actual broadcast with those rights. If they managed to snag it that means a guaranteed home run for the next year, and if they didn't it means there's recently been a whole lot of cash freed up they can use for multiple smaller shows. Either way we win, unless the overlords decide to cut the budget even further or Zaslav just nukes the block entirely for a massive $65 tax write off.

To me, it seems like the prices would be fairly equivalent. Bleach is high because it’s the biggest deal of 2022, and MHA is high because Crunchyroll are dicks. Either way they go, the wallet will hurt. But, that shouldn’t be a huge deal since we are quickly approaching the January reset. Of course, that assumes Zaslav sees fit to give the block any budget next year. 

The problem with rights is very rarely are broadcast rights a separate deal in this day and age. And even if they were, Toonami needs the stream rights anyway. The block could probably do a lot more if it was only dealing with broadcast rights, but that would mean our only audience would be cable viewers, and we have seen the trend those numbers have been taking, both on Toonami itself and cable in general. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA finally saw this. WHEW

Don't get why this wasn't just part of Season 2 though.

Ditto on both accounts. Maybe they thought they had enough material to make it a movie instead of its own arc? I dunno, canon movies that aren't recut/retold for TV broadcast are the worst, no matter how 10/10 they are.

[this week in controversial comments]

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

Ditto on both accounts. Maybe they thought they had enough material to make it a movie instead of its own arc? I dunno, canon movies that aren't recut/retold for TV broadcast are the worst, no matter how 10/10 they are.

[this week in controversial comments]

and because the movie is required to watch....You Gotta have  Hulu or Hidive to see it

although i doubt Toonami's gonna tell the average viewer where to find the movie or that a movie's even required to enjoy S2

so most people are gonna be confused and just stop watching completely

1 hour ago, CountFrylock said:

and because the movie is required to watch....You Gotta have  Hulu or Hidive to see it

although i doubt Toonami's gonna tell the average viewer where to find the movie or that a movie's even required to enjoy S2

Don't have Hulu?

image.png.00b14a7319f4378a04ac1f5d662df149.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Believe it or not, I think a lot of people will just roll with it if they're not aware of the movie. The thing they might question is why Riko has a different looking white whistle and why she refers to it by the name Prushka. They might just assume the elevator that brought them down to the 6th layer was no big deal and it wasn't difficult to get to. Some viewers might look into why things jumped ahead a bit but most probably won't stop watching it out of confusion.

• Like 2

Made in Abyss is confusing enough to start with. You'll get the whole spread of viewers that drop out not knowing what's going on, viewers that roll through not knowing what was going on in the first place, and viewers that actually seek out the missing content.

Pure copium on anyone's part to think Toonami ever would've aired the movie. Didn't they already declare movies off the table a long while ago? Last time I vaguely recall it happening, performance was abyssmal... ok, maybe wrong word choice in this context..

Personally, wouldn't really count on picking up more MHA. Too mainstream, too much attention by any other service to grab it up. Slim chance, and there may yet be hope, but I'd be more inclined to expect to see it lost to Toonami.

Bleach may be big, but it's also old. Sure, new stuff is new, but I wouldn't say it's still got the same momentum it had. Better chance to see it here... but... do we really need to? Bleh. Haven't missed that show.

As long as we're pitching cheap filler/marathon fodder.... Doesn't [as] basically forever have the rights to Big O S2? >__>

As great as it would be for Toonami to be the place to find the big guns, I kinda just don't think they're in the position to do that anymore, all things considered. Personal opinion, I'd just as soon see them transition into a sort of diamond-in-the-rough block. Forget the big name mainstream stuff. Pick up more quality obscure titles. I mean... I have no frame of reference or context, but, in my total ignorance, it seemed like Made in Abyss came out of nowhere, and it's got some quality to it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it made waves, idk. But I'd totally take more like this, titles that nobody's really paying attention to but deserve a place to shine.

29 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

Personally, wouldn't really count on picking up more MHA. Too mainstream, too much attention by any other service to grab it up. Slim chance, and there may yet be hope, but I'd be more inclined to expect to see it lost to Toonami.

Bleach may be big, but it's also old. Sure, new stuff is new, but I wouldn't say it's still got the same momentum it had. Better chance to see it here... but... do we really need to? Bleh. Haven't missed that show.

As long as we're pitching cheap filler/marathon fodder.... Doesn't [as] basically forever have the rights to Big O S2? >__>

As great as it would be for Toonami to be the place to find the big guns, I kinda just don't think they're in the position to do that anymore, all things considered. Personal opinion, I'd just as soon see them transition into a sort of diamond-in-the-rough block. Forget the big name mainstream stuff. Pick up more quality obscure titles. I mean... I have no frame of reference or context, but, in my total ignorance, it seemed like Made in Abyss came out of nowhere, and it's got some quality to it. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it made waves, idk. But I'd totally take more like this, titles that nobody's really paying attention to but deserve a place to shine.

I really doubt they would start the MHA rerun 23 episodes deep if they didn’t have SOMETHING like 90% certain that they could park in the midnight slot next month. Going back to MHA at all is a strong pointer towards S6, but there’s also no telling how deep the CR funny business goes and it’s just there to keep the spot warm for Bleach. We will find out in the coming weeks what’s going on there, but it’s obvious set up for something.

We have no need to think about schedule filler anymore considering they chopped off the rerun portion. If they would have stuck with 2x One Piece, we may have seen a block that is straight premiers in December. 

I do agree they need to be more open to less popular shows, especially going into next year. Even if they pull off MHA, that won’t mean they can pull that off with every popular show they have aired in the past. They need to patch up some of the gaps with B tier shows from Sentai. 

I agree there's room to hope for MHA. Just saying, seems like there's also a good chance it goes the way of Demon Slayer. Just too many parties interested in a piece of that.

The only other thing I can think of coming down the pipeline sometime maybe mid/late next year (question mark?) would be Fire Force S3. Beyond that, kinda yeah, they need to be looking for something that isn't just a legacy pickup.

Oh OH ohhh, wild speculation time. What if the One Piece change is related to the movie that just released. Like. "Ok, we rode this hype train as long as we could, won't get any better than this." Or. "Maybe the movie will get more people into this and we can milk this acquisition a little bit longer." Or or. "Nobody's going to want to come back and watch these old-ass arcs after that movie." Idk. Something. Is a bit of a coincidental timing. I just.. can't really ever see OP as an actual serious legitimate "We're definitely going to stick with it this time" acquisition.

Come to think of it... wasn't the last time they picked up One Piece also right around the time Gold released..?

There are a lot of fingers in the One Piece pie for a multitude of reasons.  Film Red coming out and Crunchyroll having a firm grip on new episodes, Netflix gathering old episodes and preparing a LA series that they apparently think can replace Stranger Things (doubtful) and that leaves Toonami out in the cold.

3 hours ago, Jman said:

There are a lot of fingers in the One Piece pie for a multitude of reasons.  Film Red coming out and Crunchyroll having a firm grip on new episodes, Netflix gathering old episodes and preparing a LA series that they apparently think can replace Stranger Things (doubtful) and that leaves Toonami out in the cold.

Except Toonami is almost certainly dealing directly with Toei for this current run, as it seemingly is for TMS with Lupin. I think that's the real way the block maintains any sort of viability at this point: cultivate those long relationships with Japanese production companies that you've established, and take advantage of the fact that many of them still see prestige value in having their properties air on American television.

This felt like kind of a mixed bag of news, even if a lot of it was presumably outside of the block crew's control. I'm genuinely excited for MiA season 2, but that's tempered by them not being able to show the movie. I've seen it before and have easy access to it for a quick rewatch, but it sucks for those who haven't seen it yet. I highly encourage everyone to take a look at it beforehand if you can, since it will directly set up where the trio are to start this season. Leading off the block with a season 5 MHA rerun seemed like a profoundly stupid move, but the fact that they're starting right at the end of the season made my raise my eyebrows quite a bit. Hopefully they can pull an end-around on Monopolyroll and get access to season 6 by some miracle. Also not a fan of dropping down to a single OP episode per week, as that really kills the pacing, and it's hard enough to fill up the block as-is right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Top Gun said:

I think that's the real way the block maintains any sort of viability at this point: cultivate those long relationships with Japanese production companies that you've established, and take advantage of the fact that many of them still see prestige value in having their properties air on American television.

Problem is, most of them don’t. Toei and TMS are prime examples of leadership that is stuck way in the past. Toei in particular has always been desperate to make One Piece popular in the west, going back as far as dumping it on 4kids without a second thought. Most other studios aren’t even thinking about what a series does outside of Japan, let alone how it performs in the middle of the night on a Saturday. 

9 hours ago, rpgamer said:

Oh OH ohhh, wild speculation time. What if the One Piece change is related to the movie that just released. Like. "Ok, we rode this hype train as long as we could, won't get any better than this." Or. "Maybe the movie will get more people into this and we can milk this acquisition a little bit longer." Or or. "Nobody's going to want to come back and watch these old-ass arcs after that movie." Idk. Something. Is a bit of a coincidental timing. I just.. can't really ever see OP as an actual serious legitimate "We're definitely going to stick with it this time" acquisition.

The One Piece news is the most unusual thing about this new schedule. It has been on 2x speed for almost the entire year, maybe that wasn’t the actual plan and they are running dry on episodes? If so, I’d hope in the new year they replenish their episode pool and drop the rerun to get it back to 2x. 

Because Dressrosa at 1 episode a week could be listed as a war crime.