UnevenEdge

The November Replacement is Made in Abyss (Another Poke Sorta-Megapost)

PokeNirvash

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

Because Dressrosa at 1 episode a week could be listed as a war crime.

And that there's the big problem with "one-a-week One Piece"; the idea that it could set a precedent for that. I don't mind them doing one-a-week with Punk Hazard, since it's a comparatively shorter saga, but Dressrosa? No thank you.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

And that there's the big problem with "one-a-week One Piece"; the idea that it could set a precedent for that. I don't mind them doing one-a-week with Punk Hazard, since it's a comparatively shorter saga, but Dressrosa? No thank you.

Yeah I really hope they go back to double by Dressrosa IF they even go beyond Punk Hazard. At the very least they might double One Piece up again once Shippuden ends if it doesn't happen any sooner.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rpgamer said:

I'd say y'all are mighty optimistic about OP's longevity on the block... but I may be biased.

I’m thinking it’s a coin flip.  Toei values the TV time because to them there is something very impressive about their products airing on big Western television (it was the reason the late great Antonio Inoki loved competing in Madison Square Garden, he felt it made him look like a big deal) and streaming is a relatively new market that’s only starting to make headway there (we’re only two years past Japanese streaming overtaking their physical media offerings in total value).

Conversely, there are a LOT of fingers in the One Piece pie.  Film Red has an IMAX screening thanks to Crunchyroll (and Jaime Lee Curtis attended the screening while promoting Halloween Ends).  Netflix legitimately believes their adaptation of OP can be the next Game of Thrones hence the enormous amount of money being thrown at it (and Curtis flat out said if the show doesn’t suck she would be first in line for a Kureha audition).

This is arguably not on anyone over here, but on Toei, if they value that cable TV presence, no matter how diluted, over the promises of CR and Netflix.

7 hours ago, rpgamer said:

I'd say y'all are mighty optimistic about OP's longevity on the block... but I may be biased.

This time around hasn’t been performing that bad surprisingly. Either the upgraded pace or the simple fact the block has been airing stuff the fans like even less, it hasn’t been like pre 2017 where almost every night it was the clear problem show. With that in mind and the fact content is hard to come by anyway, I can’t see a reason they would want to drop it again. 

Toei was the one desperate to have it on the air, so I don’t see why they would pull out either. Unless they don’t believe 150k or so viewers per week is good enough exposure to keep the deal going. 

So, Made in Abyss season 2 picks up right where the movie leaves off, and doesn't re-cut it into episodes like Demon Slayer did?  I have enough time now that I could watch it before the block starts, but I didn't get much sleep last night.  I'd rather be less tired when I take the movie in, and I'm sure a whole movie will be more mentally and emotionally draining than an episode of Made in Abyss.  I'll be lucky if I don't pass out during the block tonight.

I don't understand why you would make a movie out of canon content, or at least, not optional canon content.  And then not re-cut it into the series.  It's not sounding like you can just skip the movie and know what's going on in season 2, either.

It is pretty stupid of Demaco to tell people to go watch a movie he couldn't get to catch up on a season he got.  What is to stop people from just watching the second season dub after they watch the movie instead of watching it on Toonami?  

So those are just MHA reruns.  I wasn't sure how many seasons there were or how many Toonami aired.  Lame.  Starting the block with reruns is moronic.  Hopefully that is just a placeholder for something.  Maybe Bleach, or new MHA episodes.

The schedule I saw on the Toonami Faithful Twitter showed two One Piece episodes, so I don't know what to think. 

Edit - Never mind.  The way that was written made it look like like two episode titles, but it's actually just one.

If it is one episode tonight, I really hope it goes back to two episodes next week.

Oh, I remembered there's still another season of Food Wars left.  Fuck!  I'm glad that wasn't one of the new shows. 🤣

Edited by ben0119

Recutting anime movies into parts of TV seasons usually makes for terrible television, though. I'm not the biggest Demon Slayer fan, but I've heard that the TV version of Mugen Train stretches the hell out of everything to the point where it just kills the flow. Which makes sense, because a movie isn't meant to be artificially chopped up into 20-minute blocks. Dawn of the Deep Soul worked fantastically as a movie, and I'd never want to see that done to it. It's not the movie's fault that TV licensing is a bitch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

I've been watching MHA S6 on Crunchyroll so it not being here tonight doesn't bother me as much as MHA Reruns leading the block does...

So you'd rather had Food Wars instead?  I guess it's technically better since it's not a rerun... >_>

2 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Recutting anime movies into parts of TV seasons usually makes for terrible television, though. I'm not the biggest Demon Slayer fan, but I've heard that the TV version of Mugen Train stretches the hell out of everything to the point where it just kills the flow. Which makes sense, because a movie isn't meant to be artificially chopped up into 20-minute blocks. Dawn of the Deep Soul worked fantastically as a movie, and I'd never want to see that done to it. It's not the movie's fault that TV licensing is a bitch.

Well it wouldn't have been a problem if they weren't turned into movies in the first place.  But yeah, you're probably right.  If I ever get around to watching Demon Slayer season 2 (it's apparently untouchable to Toonami,) I'd probably skip those episodes.

What was even worse was Dragon Ball Super re-animating those two movies for the first two arcs... TERRIBLY.  

Though I still don't get why Demarco was able to get the season from Sentai, but not the movie.

People just watching on Toonami are going to be so lost.  It doesn't help that Toonami and the show itself make no mention of any movie that preceded the events of the first episode.

Edited by ben0119

Movies often have different production committees than the series proper. They may have higher licensing fees placed on them by the license-holders, especially if the movie is a huge hit in Japan, or there may be other sorts of bullshit stipulations that we aren't privy to. Maybe one of the companies in the production pie is an out-of-touch curmudgeon who isn't interested in offering TV rights for a film in the first place.

As to why it was made as a movie, probably because the arc it adapts is about the right length for one, and (if I'm remembering correctly) at the time the manga hadn't yet advanced to the point where they could get away with another full-fledged season. Plus it had a huge setpiece fight that really benefited from a movie budget.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So you'd rather had Food Wars instead?  I guess it's technically better since it's not a rerun... >_>

Well it wouldn't have been a problem if they weren't turned into movies in the first place.  But yeah, you're probably right.  If I ever get around to watching Demon Slayer season 2 (it's apparently untouchable to Toonami,) I'd probably skip those episodes.

What was even worse was Dragon Ball Super re-animating those two movies for the first two arcs... TERRIBLY.  

Though I still don't get why Demarco was able to get the season from Sentai, but not the movie.

People just watching on Toonami are going to be so lost.  It doesn't help that Toonami and the show itself make no mention of any movie that preceded the events of the first episode.

We lost an hour of premier content just to get MiA S2, so I’d have to guess whatever price tag was on the movie, which they can only air a single time without killing ratings, just wasn’t seen as worth it. 

As for why canon content is in a movie,  not every series is created equal. Sometimes you don’t know if a S2 is ever going to get the greenlight, so if you get a pass to take a step forward with the canon material, it’s foolish not to take it, even if it may cause problems down the road. 

A movie format also opens the door to having to do less internal censorship. The TV anime already cuts out/covers up a lot of nudity from the manga, and I do believe some of the gore was tamed down for the TV anime as well. 

1 hour ago, Toonamiguy321 said:

We lost an hour of premier content just to get MiA S2, so I’d have to guess whatever price tag was on the movie, which they can only air a single time without killing ratings, just wasn’t seen as worth it. 

As for why canon content is in a movie,  not every series is created equal. Sometimes you don’t know if a S2 is ever going to get the greenlight, so if you get a pass to take a step forward with the canon material, it’s foolish not to take it, even if it may cause problems down the road. 

A movie format also opens the door to having to do less internal censorship. The TV anime already cuts out/covers up a lot of nudity from the manga, and I do believe some of the gore was tamed down for the TV anime as well. 

I don't assume that just because the other show added was a rerun, that Made in Abyss cost so much they couldn't get a second show.  It's more like they failed to get whatever new show for that slot on time.  I am hoping and and giving the benefit of the doubt that MHA reruns are being used to buy time for Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War, My Hero Academia Season 6, or whatever else.  Otherwise it makes no sense to put MHA reruns first, plus they didn't start it at the beginning of the season.  But, if Made in Abyss was that expensive, at least it was money well spent.

Yeah, those are some good points.  Probably the same reason why some canon content gets done as OVAs as well.  Try to adapt whatever you can.

Eh, I'm fine with having less gore (hard to imagine it being worse,) and no child nudity.  Lol.

Edited by ben0119

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2022 at 6:31 AM, PokeNirvash said:

So yeah, Toonami could go through TOHO Animation, who wants My Hero on TV in America, to get My Hero back on American TV, but we don’t know how much sway Crunchyroll has over that decision, so we can’t hold too much confidence. After all, if they can’t go through the Japanese side to get season 2 of Mob or SPYxFAMILY on the block, what hope does My Hero Academia have?

Turns out it's more hope than we gave Crunchyroll credit for.

Edited by PokeNirvash
  • Like 1

A combination of DeMarco being so late to the party that when he arrives everyone has left and the booze is gone, and the usual LOL Crunchyroll antics would keep Blue Lock off Toonami…when it would be a perfect World Cup tie-in.

Maybe I’m just thinking about it because Japan has a chance, albeit a slim one, to advance to the knockout round.

Edit - Japan is in the knockout stage.  Blue Lock memes are sweeping the internet.  Toonami missed an opportunity but it was probably Crunchyroll’s fault.

Edited by Jman
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, PokeNirvash said:

I doubt any sports anime that wasn't fighting-based or completely ridiculous was on their radar after the Prince of Tennis fiasco. At least Keijo!!!!!!!! (which they never intended to license) got a mention in one of their bumps.

Prince of Tennis was an utter fiasco, but it was also tennis.

The window to air Blue Lock has long since closed as well.