UnevenEdge

Ok so I did pull a crazy move, but it's not Japan

jackiemarie90

I'm here, in CAIRO, RIGHT NOW! Yes, I bought a one way ticket like 3 days ago, just got here this morning. I am in Egypt homies!!! I have a room in a hostel for 12 days, the world is literally my ashtray!! And my messy bitch ass here is out here, making dumb decisions!! Got scammed this morning, got the number of a cute 21 year old local because he felt bad I got scammed. XD And walked along the nile today. I'm going to the museum tomorrow! Thinking of being here for 3 weeks, and then maybe flying over to Greece. Idk, I got 4 months to do whatever the heck I want!! ahahahahahahashsht4jhslkjghRSgh;uWJHG'oRWh

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, scoobdog said:

Yes, be safe.  Egypt can be a rewarding experience, but there are a lot worse things that can happen than just being scammed there.  Just be aware of your surroundings and don't carry a lot of money with you at any one time.

Yeah my friends in berk and family gave me cash right before I left, so I looked like a dam fool when bills were slipping out of my bag at the airport this morning. I did do a currency exchange and now that I have my room I can lock up some things I suppose. But I do have a travel purse I bought a long time ago that has metal mesh wire than cannot be cut with a blade surrounding it. And it's a crossbody bag, so I feel pretty secure with that thing. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Vamped said:

What kinda pants was he wearing?

Tip Harris GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

This young man was very cute! #>_># I got scammed and was driven to a different part of town that wasn't my hostel. My driver lied to me and took charged me extra. So I went to the nearest shop where he was working. He knew a decent amount of english and gave me his phone data to find my place, and even got me an uber. They were like body fitting stylish washed out jeans. #<__<#

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Have fun. Maybe take pictures and share with us.

Sorry about Japan . . . shutting their borders is one of their ancient traditions after all, lol

OH, I WILL. I got some Egypt themed pics I've been wanting for years. >__>

It just seemed like a really peaceful thing to do after being kicked out and harassed for 2 years. I really like onsens and how cheap and easy it is to get things there. But I also think the drama at my house was scaring my friend from there, so I didn't want to spring the plan on her when she was feeling anxietic in the house. Plus, they weren't gonna open to April, and honestly I just had to leave the bay, I couldn't take it anymore of my friends betraying me over time. Which sucks, cause I did do those stupid restorative justice meetings, and they actually said I was right about everything. That the people kicking me out were abusing power, but it doesn't change what happened, and they feel too bad about their actions to actually want to make things better for me. They doing everything they can to try to erase me. So I just really needed to leave the country. XD

7 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Shiit maybeeee ~

Girl, Idk what to say or do. We having a boring conversation about sim cards and internet connectivity. How does one have game?

lure him maybe ask him if he knows any local places to get good food or see some sights and BAM! its a date 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Poof said:

Uhhh don't say anything bad about the government or Islam or anything pro lgbt

Yo these dynamics are making me a little nervous. So like, it is a majority Muslim nation. But they have a Christian minority. They well fitted washed out jeans guy that was being so nice to me announced that he was one of these Christian minorities. And I've noticed a pattern with other travelling friends that these Christian minorities tend to be the ones that are kind and reaching out to westerners for help when they need it here. You can tell because they take on Christian surnames. He asked if I was a Christian, and I said I don't believe in anything. And then asked if I should say that in front other people here. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vamped said:

lure him maybe ask him if he knows any local places to get good food or see some sights and BAM! its a date 

Now I'm afraid of the long con. Cause we are talking about getting my phone a sim card to have internet out here. And I'm like, was this a sale all along, no way, a cute 21 year old local wants to hang out and be my friend. Should meet up with him to get the sim card? >__>

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Wasn't expecting that.... have fun!

There's a pretty cool metal band from Egypt called Riverwood.... maybe you can catch a gig. 

Maybe, it can be an overwhelming city if you don't speak the language. I still haven't planned how I'm gonna see dem pyramids yet. It's like 30 dollars I think. XD

1 minute ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Now I'm afraid of the long con. Cause we are talking about getting my phone a sim card to have internet out here. And I'm like, was this a sale all along, no way, a cute 21 year old local wants to hang out and be my friend. Should meet up with him to get the sim card? >__>

Maybe he doesn't want to be your friend, but maybe he does want to nail you. 😝 He might find non-Arabs exotic.

4 minutes ago, Distortedreasoning said:

just drop super obvious hints.

how do you translate i wanna get railed in arabic? 

cant miss that. 

Just now, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

Maybe he doesn't want to be your friend, but maybe he does want to nail you. 😝 He might find non-Arabs exotic.

y'all, I can't assume, he told me he is a good christian boi, and my crazy atheist ass might be too much .xD

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, scoobdog said:

Yes, be safe.  Egypt can be a rewarding experience, but there are a lot worse things that can happen than just being scammed there.  Just be aware of your surroundings and don't carry a lot of money with you at any one time.

The middle east is honestly one of the last places on the Earth that westerners should go without exercising as much caution as absolutely possible. Egypt is one of those places you still need to avoid going to the wrong places in, and for Westerners is best to stick around areas tourists frequently visit and are protected.

1 hour ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Yo these dynamics are making me a little nervous. So like, it is a majority Muslim nation. But they have a Christian minority. They well fitted washed out jeans guy that was being so nice to me announced that he was one of these Christian minorities. And I've noticed a pattern with other travelling friends that these Christian minorities tend to be the ones that are kind and reaching out to westerners for help when they need it here. You can tell because they take on Christian surnames. He asked if I was a Christian, and I said I don't believe in anything. And then asked if I should say that in front other people here. 

I'd definitely be careful about who you tell things like that to, since things can easily escalate. Not saying this to be anti-liberal, but the Arab world is very anti-liberal. There's countless stories you can find on the internet of women and even couples that have gone to Arab countries, wanting to prove things such as "how kind humans are" only to be murdered.

Edited by DBAss
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DBAss said:

The middle east is honestly one of the last places on the Earth that westerners should go without exercising as much caution as absolutely possible. Egypt is one of those places you still need to avoid going to the wrong places in, and for Westerners is best to stick around areas tourists frequently visit and are protected.

I'd definitely be careful about who you tell things like that to, since things can easily escalate. Not saying this to be anti-liberal, but the Arab world is very anti-liberal. There's countless stories you can find on the internet of women and even couples that have gone to Arab countries, wanting to prove things such as "how kind humans are" only to be murdered.

Yea ultra conservative people are pretty dangerous I agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Do you want the sim card?

>.> 

Were you going to get one before you happened upon him?

8 hours ago, 1pooh4u said:

Be safe have fun be more aware so you’re not scammed again. Ngl that part got me like 😬 cuz you’re young and creeps are gonna like that.  Just don’t talk to every stranger that talks to you. 

ok...now jackie.

you know we love you SO much, and this is a very big adventure. 

so, dont' forget to pack your rubbers, carry a dime in your purse, so you can make a call. and MOST of all, DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS! if you get lost , go to the nearest policeman.

do be safe dear. 

*sorry, i just got this 'mother of the house' vibe from you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/17/2022 at 3:33 PM, Poof said:

Yea ultra conservative people are pretty dangerous I agree.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, DBAss said:

Like it's much better dealing with ultra liberals. There's radical people on both sides.

Exactly! Be scared of both children and always question people's intentions, even if they are good.

On 3/17/2022 at 3:56 PM, PhilosipherStoned said:

Nice. A lot easier to get around there without a survival plan than Japan from what I know anyway. Not that I know much about living in modern day Egypt. How is it?

IT'S ACTUALLY THE OPPOSITE!! As far as backpacking different cities around the world, on a scale of difficulty from 1 to 5, 5 being the hardest level to survive without knowing the local language and understanding prices. I would rate Japan as a 2 in ease of living, and I would rate Cairo either a 4 or 5 on extreme difficulty of living. 

For one, Japan caters to tourists, there are plenty of English signs everywhere, and many of the people in government jobs speak English as well. It's also very metropolitan, and clean streets with traffic laws easy to move around. The food is all labelled and priced so you know what you are getting into.

Cairo on the other hand, has like, practically no traffic laws. The streets are very chaotic. The only other place I've been with extreme traffic similarily was in Lima, Peru. Except I think Cairo is waaaay more hectic in the streets. I'm lucky no one in my family had a car so I grew jay walking. and found that I can easily adapt to the crazy street crossings around the world. There are like no english signs either, mostly arabic. And people always give you a higher price expecting you to bargain your way down, which can be harder if you don't speak the language. And also the men at Cairo will leer at you for a long ass time if you are a woman who doesn't wear a headscarf either. XD

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 9:07 PM, 1pooh4u said:

Be safe have fun be more aware so you’re not scammed again. Ngl that part got me like 😬 cuz you’re young and creeps are gonna like that.  Just don’t talk to every stranger that talks to you. 

Yeah, I'm learning about that. Guys are shouting at me to follow them too, but one thing that I got going for me is that I'm tall and can walk away really fast from a situation from all the hiking I've done. XD

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 5:13 AM, discolé monade said:

ok...now jackie.

you know we love you SO much, and this is a very big adventure. 

so, dont' forget to pack your rubbers, carry a dime in your purse, so you can make a call. and MOST of all, DO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS! if you get lost , go to the nearest policeman.

do be safe dear. 

*sorry, i just got this 'mother of the house' vibe from you. 

This makes me so happy after living in a house with 20 something's for a over a year. I kept trying to tell them that I am baby, but they never understood what that meant. I love be babied, cause I feel I have to do so much to survive everyday. XD

Thank you, will do! ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Exactly! Be scared of both children and always question people's intentions, even if they are good.

I learned to not put much faith in others. This is something that I never fell for, but is something I've heard about (from living within 10 miles of a major US city) in this one part of it that has gone to complete shit and is rated in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the country, if you're driving your car and you see someone pulled over on the side of the highway/road and it looks like they're having car troubles, you keep driving. Apparently that's a common tactic some people in that part of the city will use to get you to pull over and go to help them, just so they can hold you at gunpoint and take all your shit.

I've even seen/heard stories in my county of little kids and even old ladies used to distract or fool people, so that either them or someone else can rip them off. I feel like in a third world country all those problems would exist tenfold.

• D'oh 1

On 3/19/2022 at 7:40 AM, jackiemarie90 said:

IT'S ACTUALLY THE OPPOSITE!! As far as backpacking different cities around the world, on a scale of difficulty from 1 to 5, 5 being the hardest level to survive without knowing the local language and understanding prices. I would rate Japan as a 2 in ease of living, and I would rate Cairo either a 4 or 5 on extreme difficulty of living. 

For one, Japan caters to tourists, there are plenty of English signs everywhere, and many of the people in government jobs speak English as well. It's also very metropolitan, and clean streets with traffic laws easy to move around. The food is all labelled and priced so you know what you are getting into.

Cairo on the other hand, has like, practically no traffic laws. The streets are very chaotic. The only other place I've been with extreme traffic similarily was in Lima, Peru. Except I think Cairo is waaaay more hectic in the streets. I'm lucky no one in my family had a car so I grew jay walking. and found that I can easily adapt to the crazy street crossings around the world. There are like no english signs either, mostly arabic. And people always give you a higher price expecting you to bargain your way down, which can be harder if you don't speak the language. And also the men at Cairo will leer at you for a long ass time if you are a woman who doesn't wear a headscarf either. XD

Cool. I mean for a few months I might give Japan a 2, but that's just a vacation.. I guess I missed the part where you said you planned to stay only a few months in the op. The only thing I warn people about is just trying to jump ship and stay their without a plan. After reading through some of your later posts at the end of that thread it seemed like you had a somewhat decent plan. I've been, but only through a lady in my unit that was from egypt. She was also a linguist specializing in like 5 languages officially though so there's that..