UnevenEdge

I'm thinking of pulling the ultimate weeb move in my mental health crisis

jackiemarie90

Is it a good idea to move for Japan for 4 months?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a good idea to move for Japan for 4 months?

• Your plan sounds like you know what you are doing, so yes.
    • Wow, clearly suffering a psychotic's break. Reevaluate yours plans, no.
    • You are acting ridiculous, I don't like to see the worst traits of myself reflected upon on others. YOU GODDAM WEABOO!!

And moving to Japan for a few months. I have enough money saved and I can get a really cheap plane ticket. Found out that Japan has a lot of Backpacking trails, so I could take my backpack and tent and save money camping a lot of my time there. My friend who lives in the co-op from Japan is going to go home around June, so I'll meet up and we can hang out. I've spent a few weeks outside the country on cheap hostels and airbnbs. Plus I know market food is so cheap in there. I'll eventually run out of money and try to be back in the bay by July. And I know I have made connections where I can get a job easily in Berkeley. And be able to come back in the fall. My life won't be over, I get time to breathe and immersive myself in a cultural experience. 

• Like 1

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but it could backfire completely. You could go and suffer paris syndrome if it doesn't live up to the hype. You could go through a long period of feeling disappointed in japan and possibly really lonely for a lot or even most of the trip.

Personally I've never left the country except canada and mexico, and Idk if I'd go anywhere that far away alone. I would worry about you camping on your own in a foreign country even Japan.

37 minutes ago, Poof said:

It sounds like you know what you're doing, but it could backfire completely. You could go and suffer paris syndrome if it doesn't live up to the hype. You could go through a long period of feeling disappointed in japan and possibly really lonely for a lot or even most of the trip.

Personally I've never left the country except canada and mexico, and Idk if I'd go anywhere that far away alone. I would worry about you camping on your own in a foreign country even Japan.

So I have been to japan before for 2 weeks. I went with my partner at the time, but I remember walking around and enjoying the sights alone. It's very tourist friendly place. But of course I would try to learn more of the language and stay in some capsule places to save money. XD

Just looked it up now, and apparently 90 days is the most you can stay there with a typical tourist visa. It's still a lot of time, but the biggest problem with tourists in Japan on visa that I've seen mentioned a lot in videos on Youtube is in regards to the law. How there's a lot of subtle things that are legal elsewhere in the world, that aren't in Japan, it being easy for foreigners to break those laws without realizing. Also getting arrested in Japan is something you never want to do, cause they can easily keep you in holding for an extended period unless you give them a confession, potentially past the expiration for a visa, which can cause trouble after they're released.

TOKYO — (AP) — Next week Japan will ease tough coronavirus border controls that have been criticized as xenophobic and damaging to the economy. The new rules, however, provide only a slight improvement: 5,000 new entrants per day, instead of the current 3,500, and nowhere near the estimated 64,000 a day that were entering for long-term visits before the pandemic.

The 5,000 daily arrivals also includes Japanese nationals returning to the country, which means hundreds of thousands of foreigners will still struggle to enter.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/world/small-japan-border/WAAF5R6XFMDYFTLOGTULDFHUKU/

So they're always gonna prioritize getting Japanese citizens back first, and then I imagine people with visas.

I don't like your poll options, but I'm sorry, you're most likely not gonna even be able to enter the country this year.

now probably isn't the best time to holiday overseas. 

i know how you are feeling. i call it my 'gypsy' moments. (or used to, in my younger days)

if you want to go hiking and want that back packing across *where ever* experience, montana is as great a place as any. 

i had a friend, who's family ran a hostel on (i think) homer youngs peak, or could have been rising wolf. 

or backpack through the utah canyons. or come to the east coast like you said in another post, and explore the everglades, or go to maine and check out the massive forests. 

OOH go to vermont, ( i hold a special place in my heart for vermont) you can trek through the area around lake champlain OR head to the white mountains of new hampshire. 

hell...start from vermont and hike down the appalachian trail.

no mattter what you decide, because you're traveling alone, have someone you can check in with everyday. EVERYDAY. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scoobdog said:

I would say no.  If backpacking is your escape, doing it here is your better option.  Going out of country or to a country where you're not likely to blend in with locals is going to leave you somewhat exposed.

I want to be away from the people here. I want to be somewhere I am forced to think for myself but away from anyone I know. I am not afraid of being exposed.

4 hours ago, Mix said:

Say yes to life.

You want to go to Japan? Go to Japan.

You want to go camping in a strange country. Go camping in a strange country.

You want a front row seat to world war 3? Japan, an island, is as good a place as any.

If North Korea gets involved, it might be. But there are now low budget carriers from Japan flying to the U.S. A bonus living on the west coast. 

3 hours ago, DBAss said:

Just looked it up now, and apparently 90 days is the most you can stay there with a typical tourist visa. It's still a lot of time, but the biggest problem with tourists in Japan on visa that I've seen mentioned a lot in videos on Youtube is in regards to the law. How there's a lot of subtle things that are legal elsewhere in the world, that aren't in Japan, it being easy for foreigners to break those laws without realizing. Also getting arrested in Japan is something you never want to do, cause they can easily keep you in holding for an extended period unless you give them a confession, potentially past the expiration for a visa, which can cause trouble after they're released.

I could also fly by nearby to Korea, or Vietnam, Malaysia, etc and visit other countries nearby. Breaking up the 90 day rule. Showing my plans for backpacking shows my tourist long term plans. I've also been there before, and familiar with their strict laws. Only one I am concerned with is my new tattoo being shown in an onsen. 

2 hours ago, UnDeRwOrlDpRiNcEsS said:

Lovey, my mental health crisis just had me apply for school. So I'm right there with you. But I think you deciding to potentially strand yourself in another country is a bit more risqué than me potentially being denied schooling. 

Definitely risque, but I'm a risque person who has been there already, has spent a month in peru and survived, and has learned only more life skills since then. Life is short, I live for the pleasurable experiences in doing what I want. I don't know, I'd risk being stranded there than here, but if my budget falls to $500 I'll fly back to the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I want to be away from the people here. I want to be somewhere I am forced to think for myself but away from anyone I know. I am not afraid of being exposed.

You want to be away from people that know you not away from everybody.

When I say exposed, I mean in the sense that you have no recourse in the event of a health emergency.  It's fine you're not afraid of that, but it's still an unreasonable risk for someone trying to distsnce herself from people rather than trying to reach out to people.  You certainly will have to think for yourself and be resourceful, but you won't be able to act on your own which is what you're really aiming for.

Edited by scoobdog

1 hour ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I could also fly by nearby to Korea, or Vietnam, Malaysia, etc and visit other countries nearby. Breaking up the 90 day rule. Showing my plans for backpacking shows my tourist long term plans. I've also been there before, and familiar with their strict laws. Only one I am concerned with is my new tattoo being shown in an onsen. 

Main issue with Korea is rocket man up North, and considering what's going on in the world, I wouldn't put it past Kimmie boy to start thinking he can do whatever he wants now, and launch an attack against the South or Japan. Honestly, considering war just broke out, I feel like it'd be better to wait a couple of months to see how things go, and if the situation improves.

Japan has always been terrified of tattoos. Everyone banned tattoos there for anti-Yakuza reasons. They changed their policy on them because the world has obviously changed, but it's a case where a lot of folks there refuse to move on with the times. So it ain't illegal anymore, but good luck finding a bathhouse that'll let you in. I believe some businesses have also been known to turn away customers if there's a visible tattoo. Not applicable to women, but apparently beards are also something in Japan that the people there are weary of, and have trust issues about.

I mean...Japan should never be your first escape unless you're a fucking yakuza or you have family there if you ask me. Unless price isn't an object even having a few grand at your dispose for the trip can end in failure from what I've gathered from being a part of an american english teachers little subgroup and shit when he went to Japan..Also all those weirdos you sympathize with about anime qwop will seem a bit more real when they're sniffing your socks on the bus, and everyone's eyeballing you not to make a scene.

Just do your due dilligence before you run to a foriegn country is all I'm sayin'...

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

On 2/27/2022 at 6:42 PM, bnmjy said:

TOKYO — (AP) — Next week Japan will ease tough coronavirus border controls that have been criticized as xenophobic and damaging to the economy. The new rules, however, provide only a slight improvement: 5,000 new entrants per day, instead of the current 3,500, and nowhere near the estimated 64,000 a day that were entering for long-term visits before the pandemic.

The 5,000 daily arrivals also includes Japanese nationals returning to the country, which means hundreds of thousands of foreigners will still struggle to enter.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/world/small-japan-border/WAAF5R6XFMDYFTLOGTULDFHUKU/

So they're always gonna prioritize getting Japanese citizens back first, and then I imagine people with visas.

I don't like your poll options, but I'm sorry, you're most likely not gonna even be able to enter the country this year.

Maybe, I'm still willing to take the risk at this point. Just got my booster. 

On 2/27/2022 at 7:00 PM, discolé monade said:

now probably isn't the best time to holiday overseas. 

i know how you are feeling. i call it my 'gypsy' moments. (or used to, in my younger days)

if you want to go hiking and want that back packing across *where ever* experience, montana is as great a place as any. 

i had a friend, who's family ran a hostel on (i think) homer youngs peak, or could have been rising wolf. 

or backpack through the utah canyons. or come to the east coast like you said in another post, and explore the everglades, or go to maine and check out the massive forests. 

OOH go to vermont, ( i hold a special place in my heart for vermont) you can trek through the area around lake champlain OR head to the white mountains of new hampshire. 

hell...start from vermont and hike down the appalachian trail.

no mattter what you decide, because you're traveling alone, have someone you can check in with everyday. EVERYDAY. 

The weird social politics that I would mention in the house how a lot of white entitled men were giving me trouble. I complained so much that they kicked me out, and now that same white man is trying to block me from that the community. Especially if they are liberal, they will get real crazy how they understand your identity, tote you around to show their friends how they are "real ally" only to treat you like shit if you don't stroke their egos. The first white guy I dated hit me. The white men in Berkeley have seriously traumatized me and just have this strong urge to leave the country for a few months. I have a feeling the pct is gonna be filled with this dudes and I rather just go to place where it's consider the norm to not be in everybody's business. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/27/2022 at 9:13 PM, scoobdog said:

You want to be away from people that know you not away from everybody.

When I say exposed, I mean in the sense that you have no recourse in the event of a health emergency.  It's fine you're not afraid of that, but it's still an unreasonable risk for someone trying to distsnce herself from people rather than trying to reach out to people.  You certainly will have to think for yourself and be resourceful, but you won't be able to act on your own which is what you're really aiming for.

There are currently people trying to ban me from a whole community right now in Berkeley. I barely go to the doctor to here, idk, I barely feel like I have support here and just want some space that will be good for me. 

On 2/27/2022 at 9:55 PM, DBAss said:

Main issue with Korea is rocket man up North, and considering what's going on in the world, I wouldn't put it past Kimmie boy to start thinking he can do whatever he wants now, and launch an attack against the South or Japan. Honestly, considering war just broke out, I feel like it'd be better to wait a couple of months to see how things go, and if the situation improves.

Japan has always been terrified of tattoos. Everyone banned tattoos there for anti-Yakuza reasons. They changed their policy on them because the world has obviously changed, but it's a case where a lot of folks there refuse to move on with the times. So it ain't illegal anymore, but good luck finding a bathhouse that'll let you in. I believe some businesses have also been known to turn away customers if there's a visible tattoo. Not applicable to women, but apparently beards are also something in Japan that the people there are weary of, and have trust issues about.

I literally am a suicidal person who was kicked out of their housing in berkeley. Kimmie boy doesn't scare me that much more than living in Berkeley during a pandemic. 🤣

Luckily I only have one tattoo, and it's small enough to fit under a piece of duct tape, which I hear is allowed in onsens. ^___^

2 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I have a feeling the pct is gonna be filled with this dudes and I rather just go to place where it's consider the norm to not be in everybody's business. 

Nvm about my question. Japan sounds cool mostly and like how you've described about being safe and people minding their business, my American friend there has told me some creepy stories from her few years there teaching English though. And it sounds shitty dealing with their bureaucracies and like healthcare system and stuff if you can't speak the language or as an American in general, not that you should need any of that. 

On 2/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, That_One_Guy said:

Nothing wrong with traveling just plan shit out meticulously and make sure someone always knows where you are. You said you have a friend over there which is good. I wouldnt go there with no connections.

I found housing for rent under $700 a month. Totally doable. I have a friend who lives in Osaka but will be working in Tokyo in June. I've already been to japan about 3 years ago, and know that I can navigate the subways systems and know I can already travel around the country without help. I actually had to help my partner get unlost last time I was there. XD And I know how to budget for food over there as well. The real trouble is finding a place to stay in Berkeley for 2 more weeks. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

The real trouble is finding a place to stay in Berkeley for 2 more weeks. 

This basically sums up why America is such an awful place to live

Maybe bedbug hostels?

Edited by Nabreezy

On 2/28/2022 at 10:29 PM, PhilosipherStoned said:

I mean...Japan should never be your first escape unless you're a fucking yakuza or you have family there if you ask me. Unless price isn't an object even having a few grand at your dispose for the trip can end in failure from what I've gathered from being a part of an american english teachers little subgroup and shit when he went to Japan..Also all those weirdos you sympathize with about anime qwop will seem a bit more real when they're sniffing your socks on the bus, and everyone's eyeballing you not to make a scene.

Just do your due dilligence before you run to a foriegn country is all I'm sayin'...

I've been to Japan, I understand the pricing. I also remember thinking I could easily survive there longer than 2 weeks. I was also literally kicked out of my housing in Berkeley for being intimating. I'll like to see some perverted fucks try to pick on me, when I fucking scare muscular rock climbers here!! 🤣 But since I'll be in a different country, if any man tries anything, I'll just shout at the top of my lungs that a man is being creepy, and I'm certain they will back away. I can be very loud. XD

15 hours ago, Distortedreasoning said:

take me with you! i dont travel much myself but japan is up there on the list of places i would like to visit one day. 

im not sure how much money you'd need but you could probably do this on the cheap if you know where to look. 4 months is a lot of time tho even when budgeting feels like it be tough. 

You can easily rent an apartment in Japan for less than $800. I have found less, I also know how to budget food there. And have a enough to make the money stretch. It's just the last minute planning that is going to stress me out the most. But it's kinda worth it for an opportunity like this, plus I'm so over Berkeley!! 🤣

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nabreezy said:

Nvm about my question. Japan sounds cool mostly and like how you've described about being safe and people minding their business, my American friend there has told me some creepy stories from her few years there teaching English though. And it sounds shitty dealing with their bureaucracies and like healthcare system and stuff if you can't speak the language or as an American in general, not that you should need any of that. 

lol I just wanna say, I was legit kicked out for being a physical threat to some of these berkeley kids. I'm talking about muscular rock climbers! 🤣 I did shout things at them, but never pointed weapons at them. Regardless, they are still trying to ban me from the community for being intimating and a threat! I'd like to see a fucker try! 🤣

9 minutes ago, Nabreezy said:

Bedbug hostels?

Considering it, I also just signed up for a house sitting website that lets you watch houses all around the world too.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I found housing for rent under $700 a month. Totally doable. I have a friend who lives in Osaka but will be working in Tokyo in June. I've already been to japan about 3 years ago, and know that I can navigate the subways systems and know I can already travel around the country without help. I actually had to help my partner get unlost last time I was there. XD And I know how to budget for food over there as well. The real trouble is finding a place to stay in Berkeley for 2 more weeks. 

Hell yeah! Sounds like youre honestly set. Regardless, please stay safe.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

There are currently people trying to ban me from a whole community right now in Berkeley. I barely go to the doctor to here, idk, I barely feel like I have support here and just want some space that will be good for me. 

Well, getting out of Berkley or even California is fine.  That being said, there are plenty of places in state where you can go without meeting people and that aren't on the PCT.  Pretty much anything east of the Sierras is a no-man's land.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

Maybe, I'm still willing to take the risk at this point. Just got my booster. 

Do you really wanna risk being turned down at the immigration gate and having to be sent home right away? That doesn't sound like a fun time at all.

I did a little more research since my initial post, and it seems that you may have a shot getting in later in the year. But from now until the start of summer, I really think you shouldn't bother. Even this timeframe may be a bit optimistic.

As it stands now, the US government places Japan at level 4 advisory Do not travel. I'd at least wait until that lowers.

Edited by bnmjy
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, bnmjy said:

Do you really wanna risk being turned down at the immigration gate and having to be sent home right away? That doesn't sound like a fun time at all.

I did a little more research since my initial post, and it seems that you may have a shot getting in later in the year. But from now until the start of summer, I really think you shouldn't bother. Even this timeframe may be a bit optimistic.

As it stands now, the US government places Japan at level 4 advisory Do not travel. I'd at least wait until that lowers.

I mean, I'll just wait at the border, sleep in line for the next day. And be first the next day for their quotas. And that's a covid related warning. 

12 hours ago, jackiemarie90 said:

I mean, I'll just wait at the border, sleep in line for the next day. And be first the next day for their quotas. And that's a covid related warning. 

I really don't think it works like that. Maybe follow the Japan Travel subreddit for information.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2022 at 3:07 PM, jackiemarie90 said:

You can easily rent an apartment in Japan for less than $800. I have found less, I also know how to budget food there. And have a enough to make the money stretch. It's just the last minute planning that is going to stress me out the most. But it's kinda worth it for an opportunity like this, plus I'm so over Berkeley!! 🤣

but you seen how small some of those apartments are!

i hope you not trying to get into one of those places. i know you a taller girl so you gonna be bumping your head a lot lol 🤣

but fr tho, if you can do it, i dont see why not.