UnevenEdge

I've been thinking about small food animals.

SwimModSponges

I'd like to be more self-sufficient when it comes to food (like I'm working on with booze), so I'm trying to think of some critters I could grow and eat.

I got enough space for chickens I figure, but I can't eat eggs so they wouldn't do me much of any good except for just killing the chicken, and  that seems like an awful lot of work to put into something you only get to eat once.

Same problem with rabbits. Probably just shoot squirrels and get the same return on investment.

There's crickets, which pound for pound would yield about the most protein, especially when you factor in the ease of care...

I could just do that in my basement though, and I've got a chunk of outside space I was figuring on using.

Any suggestions?  

3 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

you're not going to raise enough meat in town to fill that need. and if you're not deterred, you might need to get permits or risk being fined for it.

better off planting a garden and learning the joys of canning.

You world be surprised where animal husbandry is still zoned.  I live smack dab in the middle of the Metropolitan LA and the neighbor behind me still raises chickens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

you're not going to raise enough meat in town to fill that need. and if you're not deterred, you might need to get permits or risk being fined for it.

better off planting a garden and learning the joys of canning.

Very true with all conditions named. You can hunt deer and get someone to make tons of jerky for you. You're in Wisconson, someone near you makes deer jerky. I think I left a pound of jerky at my sister's house and it is distressing me.

Create a pond and fill it with catfish. We had a family pond for years until some asshole loosed his pet gator in there and fucked up the ecosystem.

The catfish were fatty and delicious when I was a kid...last I had one out of there, the meat was grey and it was brittle....might not all be on the gator (which is probably dead now) but that swamp is fucked.

Edited by André Toulon
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I had a thought about chickens, I think you could effectively raise them for meat and not egg but it would take a couple years, I'm unaware of the chicken lifespan and maturity, but 30 chickens could possibly turn into your personal farm and unused byproducts could become a small profit or a neighborly gesture.

32 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Create a pond and fill it with catfish. We had a family pond for years until some asshole loosed his pet gator in there and fucked up the ecosystem.

The catfish were fatty and delicious when I was a kid...last I had one out of there, the meat was grey and it was brittle....might not all be on the gator (which is probably dead now) but that swamp is fucked.

Thats a great idea but i don't have quite enough space for it. 

33 minutes ago, RainyDayJizz#35 said:

I had a thought about chickens, I think you could effectively raise them for meat and not egg but it would take a couple years, I'm unaware of the chicken lifespan and maturity, but 30 chickens could possibly turn into your personal farm and unused byproducts could become a small profit or a neighborly gesture.

After 8 months chickens can be slaughtered for meat.

10 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

They've already got one and it's big.

image.thumb.png.67f7b315a34014b906b9e6530e0cb87c.png

So all along the real question in this thread was how to usurp your parents and take over the pond since you’re unable to build one

33 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Not in town, I'd have to pack them into the car and drive outside the city limits to chop their heads off.

And I can only have 5 at a time.

Well, check if your neighbors are okay with you having a shitload of chickens and share the wealth you can. CHANGE THE WORLD ONE MAN AT A TIME!

1 minute ago, SwimModSponges said:

Goats are way too big and require way more care than I can provide, plus slaughtering them would be more of an issue than the chickens.

I mean theres still milk and as long as you got property you'd be surprised how easy the care actually is. Goat shit and a potential goat on your car probably isn't worth it though. Most breeds are natural escape artists as well. Maybe try a fish farm then? 

ok look. just go buy/rent a few acres of pasture outside of town. on six acres of grass with a natural water source, you can raise two cow/calf pairs. butcher the spring calves in the fall for your food. you'll have to inseminate the cows in june, feed/water/shelter them all winter, and possibly assist with the birthings in march, but you'll get two whole beef cows for the freezer every year.

5 minutes ago, stilgar said:

So sponges, what are you trying to get out of this thread?

Ideas.

The fish suggestion was one I hadn't thought of before, figured there was probably some other small edible critter I hadn't thought of that somebody'd be all like "Hey, why not ______?" and I'd be all like "Huh, you know I never thought about that hang on let me check the city ordinances." and then a little bit later I'd be like "Wow, looks like I could totally grow _____ in my backyard. That's awesome."

@André Toulon I've already looked up Kangaroos- I don't need a permit but they're pricey.

2 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

ok look. just go buy/rent a few acres of pasture outside of town. on six acres of grass with a natural water source, you can raise two cow/calf pairs. butcher the spring calves in the fall for your food. you'll have to inseminate the cows in june, feed/water/shelter them all winter, and possibly assist with the birthings in march, but you'll get two whole beef cows for the freezer every year.

That'd be great, but I'm looking for sustainable stuff I can do on my relatively small lot.

That's why chickens would be about the perfect choice, except I can't really get anything out of them.

6 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

That'd be great, but I'm looking for sustainable stuff I can do on my relatively small lot.

That's why chickens would be about the perfect choice, except I can't really get anything out of them.

Just seems like your looking for some magical self replicating creature like that thing from Star Trek at this point. Raising rabbits was already suggested and all you really need is like a bunch of still mesh to fashion a bunny tunnel out of and let them do there thing. Combine that with a garden for their food source, and it should be sustainable. 

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

10 minutes ago, SwimModSponges said:

Ideas.

The fish suggestion was one I hadn't thought of before, figured there was probably some other small edible critter I hadn't thought of that somebody'd be all like "Hey, why not ______?" and I'd be all like "Huh, you know I never thought about that hang on let me check the city ordinances." and then a little bit later I'd be like "Wow, looks like I could totally grow _____ in my backyard. That's awesome."

@André Toulon I've already looked up Kangaroos- I don't need a permit but they're pricey.

Guinea pigs.

4 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Mealworms; low maintenance and all your essential amino acids.

See I thought about worms, but for some reason I only thought silk worms and brushed off the idea of meal worms. So is sponges about to go on the captive tarrantula diet or what?

Edited by PhilosipherStoned

13 minutes ago, wacky1980 said:

you're not going to effectively farm chickens for the meat on a city lot, unless you only want a couple meals a month for your efforts. maybe you can trade your chicken eggs for meat from a local farm/processor.

A couple meals per month would be about perfect, I'm not looking to replace all my meat with home gown, but a little bit would be nice.

12 minutes ago, PhilosipherStoned said:

Just seems like your looking for some magical self replicating creature like that thing from Star Trek at this point. Raising rabbits was already suggested and all you really need is like a bunch of still mesh to fashion a bunny tunnel out of and let them do there thing. Combine that with a garden for their food source, and it should be sustainable. 

I mean, most animals replicate if you give them enough time and mates (which doesn't work for chickens in town because no roosters). Rabbits is honestly a decent idea, I'd have to do more research into them though.

14 minutes ago, bnmjy said:

Mealworms; low maintenance and all your essential amino acids.

I'd love to start an insect farm but convincing the wife is going to be a tough sell. She's  down for chickens.

11 minutes ago, stilgar said:

Guinea pigs.

*looks it up* ... I think we got a contender here.

https://modernfarmer.com/2015/12/cuy/

Is America Ready for Farm-to-Table Guinea Pig?

[...] Guinea pig, or cuy as it is known, is a delicacy. The meat is prized and tastes like a cross between duck and rabbit. When properly prepared, the meat of a guinea pig is rich, fatty, and flavorful, while the skin, when roasted over a hot fire, gives pork crackling a run for its money. [...] enterprising entrepreneurs attempted to bring the meat to the American market back in the 1920s. [...] Serving guinea pig is legal. Under federal law, it’s considered an exotic meat – also referred to as game or “non-amenable species” – and its sale is regulated by the FDA. [...] If you are ready to raise and process your own muddle of guinea pigs, one of the first steps is to call your local Department of Agriculture. Be prepared for a puzzled response but know that the federal law should be on your side.

This is exactly what I hoped to get out of this thread.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, André Toulon said:

Just pens

I never said swallow.

More like when someone would chew on a toothpick.

Spoiler

Now you're gonna act like I pulled that outta my ass and i'm gonna waste the entire damn day trying and failing to find a clip of Dusty Baker chewing on a toothpick on youtube.

Edited by Doom Metal Alchemist

1 minute ago, Doom Metal Alchemist said:

I never said swallow.

More like when someone would chew on a toothpick.

Hide contents

Now you're gonna act like I pulled that outta my ass and i'm gonna waste the entire damn day trying and failing to find a clip of Dusty Baker chewing on a toothpick on youtube.

No I'm not, I chewed coffee stirrers for years....when I smoked. I never said it didn't happen, I said if you still have that fixation, you still smoke.