UnevenEdge

What's Toonami gonna air on Independence Day (July 4th)?

Even in non-pandemic times, Toonami would have a dilemma on its hands this year with one of the biggest traditional party days of the year, the 4th of July, falling on a Saturday. But COVID-19 just heightens this situation as there are fewer shows to work with. The normal lineup just wouldn't seem to be practical this year, as that will put us one step closer to running out of Black Clover premieres and MHA will most likely be out of premieres by then, as #87 is ready to go this weekend and I can't think of a reason why the season finale, #88 shouldn't also be next weekend.

So, conventional wisdom suggests we will see a rerun marathon, but which show? A special MHA marathon highlighting All Might seems like it would be a good idea, and then there's always Paranoia Agent. But beyond that? DBZ Kai or Dragonball Super, maybe??

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

🤔

I'd love a My Hero Academia marathon of episodes they never reran before, but it depends on the amount of done-age Toonami is by that point with the it. A Black Clover marathon would be ample reason for me to take a holiday!

With Shaman King given a BROTHERHOOD treatment soon, you can bet that Toonami will juuuuust WANT dat shit when it's dubbed.

Edited by elfie

Zap2it currently has the normal lineup (with episode titles) scheduled, as does TV Guide. 

On TV Guide, it lists MHA at midnight with a generic series description. This doesn’t mean it’s rerunning, but that they don’t have any data for the spot and it’s a template for what has usually aired there. I figured it would have an episode listed if it was, but it could very well be another “what’s your favorite episode” deals. 

My reasoning behind this is that while the 4th might be fine and not so risky to run this normal, rerun heavy lineup, STARTING a new show at the top of the block wouldn’t be the best idea.

The 11th is also the earliest we might get Jojo back so having a new show at midnight plus the return of Jojo would be a good start to July. 

The lack of a marathon announcement today makes me even more confident we aren’t getting one 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

Independence Day celebrations are being canceled left and right so it isn't like most people will be out watching fireworks and shooting them off anyways

While that's true (and has been since April), most of the big ones are still going on. I say it would be unwise for Toonami not to reach for a marathon this year, but all they've got besides Black Clover, whose remaining premieres will be down to only 9 IF they get them all dubbed in time, and Shippuden, are a bunch of reruns anyway.

7 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

While that's true (and has been since April), most of the big ones are still going on. I say it would be unwise for Toonami not to reach for a marathon this year, but all they've got besides Black Clover, whose remaining premieres will be down to only 9 IF they get them all dubbed in time, and Shippuden, are a bunch of reruns anyway.

It's almost no risk to them, but if they have a new show in mind to replace MHA, I don't think we'll see it until the 11th. We may do another fan favorite MHA (maybe the 2nd place episode). Or maybe take it a step further and do a modern "Power to the People" where they can pick any episode of any show from a list

A good rule of thumb to determine how much of a risk an anime should be delayed is if you know it's being produced all-digitally, like with CGI or with a minimized pipeline. Toei's shows had to be delayed for a few months because all their supervisors are old crustys who still monitor and make revisions on paper, and you need to be close to the animator in a shared in-door space to do that. I suppose they found a solution since they announced the One Piece anime would be back in production again.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:54 PM, CountFrylock said:

Independence Day celebrations are being canceled left and right so it isn't like most people will be out watching fireworks and shooting them off anyways

Tell that to my fuckhole neighbors who have been shooting off fireworks every night for the past week.

Y'all ever just wish that someone blows their own hands off with fireworks they went on a four hour road trip to buy from another state?

11 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Tell that to my fuckhole neighbors who have been shooting off fireworks every night for the past week.

Y'all ever just wish that someone blows their own hands off with fireworks they went on a four hour road trip to buy from another state?

Oh they have been a major problem to the extent that mass conspiracy theories have been made as to why they have suddenly gotten more frequent all night, every night, on the clock, in every major city. In New York one night, cars honked in front of the mayor's house because he wouldn't do anything about it.

one theory is people are just pawning off all the fireworks they wouldn't be able to sell thinking they gotta unload the supplies somehow and those supplies  were quickly put to use not long after they were sold

either that or a bunch of people somehow had dozens upon dozens of fireworks stashed away and they are using them as a way to irritate the people they feel are trying to rob them of freedom by saying they can't celebrate independence day due to some

"Made Up Flu"(as they see it anyways)

5 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

one theory is people are just pawning off all the fireworks they wouldn't be able to sell thinking they gotta unload the supplies somehow and those supplies  were quickly put to use not long after they were sold

either that or a bunch of people somehow had dozens upon dozens of fireworks stashed away and they are using them as a way to irritate the people they feel are trying to rob them of freedom by saying they can't celebrate independence day due to some

"Made Up Flu"(as they see it anyways)

Another theory is that they're being given to people by the government/police as a form of psychological conditioning in case gunshots are made onto civilians again so we'll just think it's fireworks and nothing more, which not only will normalize this for innocent, domestic citizens untrained in warfare, but breaking a ton of laws. A 3-year-old already got horribly injured skin and first and second-degree burns because a firework happened to fly right into his window.

A Super marathon and better still, Super leads the block starting July 11th. Just **** everything they aren’t even trying right now!

I expected nothing and I am still disappointed.

Dragon Ball Super reruns at the top of the block... let’s see them twist the knife even more and fill the next opening with My Hero reruns on top of that.

Those new shows they’re announcing on July 25th cannot come soon enough.

9EA25E4E-6D15-46F4-8F29-1044C3AB956E.png

• Sad 1

Only one "z", JMan, but I get your point.

At least I'm coping with the lack of new shows (PA rerun notwithstanding) by pulling my greatest autist move yet and pretending Kinky Kunoichi (my hypothetical anime idea) is on the block instead of Mob reruns, even though I'm watching the latter like I'm acknowledging their existence, which I am. (The fact that both are 12 episodes long helps.)

Edited by PokeNirvash

While I won’t rule out something going wrong between now and July 25th, that online panel is supposed to have some Toonami show announcements aside from info on Uzumaki and Blade Runner: Black Lotus. But those could simply be SAO and Fire Force returning in Fall. The timing is such that they could announce a replacement for Mob season 1 that day but Paranoia Agent will end on July 25th.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

Only one "z", JMan, but I get your point.

At least I'm coping with the lack of new shows (PA rerun notwithstanding) by pulling my greatest autist move yet and pretending Kinky Kunoichi (my hypothetical anime idea) is on the block instead of Mob reruns, even though I'm watching the latter like I'm acknowledging their existence, which I am. (The fact that both are 12 episodes long helps.)

Well Poke, it shows you how memorable the show is if I keep spelling it wrong.

Don’t suppose DeMarco wants to re-consider his reluctance to grab CR stuff, eh?  Knowing our luck while everyone wants God of High School he picks up Onyx Equinox.

58 minutes ago, Jman said:

Well Poke, it shows you how memorable the show is if I keep spelling it wrong.

Don’t suppose DeMarco wants to re-consider his reluctance to grab CR stuff, eh?  Knowing our luck while everyone wants God of High School he picks up Onyx Equinox.

But Jason didn’t like Avatar because it was fake anime so I don’t think he’d like Onyx Equinox.

I highly doubt CR would just give them anything for free, WarnerMedia charged HBO Max a ridiculous amount of money to stream The Big Bang Theory and Friends.

So even though he apparently likes Shield Hero (but hasn’t seen ReZero), it would probably cost just as much or more to get that from CR as it would to get something from another distributor.

Just now, Sketch said:

But Jason didn’t like Avatar because it was fake anime so I don’t think he’d like Onyx Equinox.

I highly doubt CR would just give them anything for free, WarnerMedia charged HBO Max a ridiculous amount of money to stream The Big Bang Theory and Friends.

So even though he apparently likes Shield Hero (but hasn’t seen ReZero), it would probably cost just as much or more to get that from CR as it would to get something from another distributor.

Well Onyx Equinox looks like shit so there’s that.

Of course this goes right back to the money problem.  Toonami doesn’t have any.

Now with Paranoia Agent closing in on its last episode, that will also be replaced.

1. The block stays the length it is with the 12:30 slot being replaced with an older anime and we don't get anymore fresh dubs for the time being.

2. They just give up on finding a replacement all together and get rid of another half-hour off the block.

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

Where did you hear that DeMarco doesn't lke Avatar?

13 minutes ago, Daos said:

Hates the look of Avatar

But loves One Piece.

For all my ragging on One Piece, it looks like gold compared to the legions of shitty Avatar clones, like Voltron Legendary Disappointment, like this Onyx Equinox horseshit, etc.  I get it completely.  

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

A Super marathon and better still, Super leads the block starting July 11th. Just **** everything they aren’t even trying right now!

I expected nothing and I am still disappointed.

Dragon Ball Super reruns at the top of the block... let’s see them twist the knife even more and fill the next opening with My Hero reruns on top of that.

Those new shows they’re announcing on July 25th cannot come soon enough.

9EA25E4E-6D15-46F4-8F29-1044C3AB956E.png

DBS Just seems like an act of desperation....they must think DBS Reruns Upfront will help them wait out this pandemic

4 hours ago, elfie said:

Now with Paranoia Agent closing in on its last episode, that will also be replaced.

1. The block stays the length it is with the 12:30 slot being replaced with an older anime and we don't get anymore fresh dubs for the time being.

2. They just give up on finding a replacement all together and get rid of another half-hour off the block.

wouldn't be surprised if PA is replaced with cowboy bebop and mob is replaced with fooly cooly

13 hours ago, Daos said:

Hates the look of Avatar

But loves One Piece.

Must make him seethe that every time he's tried to bring back One Piece it's bombed. Just hard for the op dub to get any attention. Anyone who is into op either reads the manga which his far ahead of the dub or watches the sub which is hundreds of episodes ahead of the dub. 

1352602800060.gif

1 minute ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Must make him seethe that every time he's tried to bring back One Piece it's bombed. Just hard for the op dub to get any attention. Anyone who is into op either reads the manga which his far ahead of the dub or watches the sub which is hundreds of episodes ahead of the dub. 

1352602800060.gif

He’s not Moose.

Besides, every single Avatar knockoff or spiritual successor, including Korra, has been a flop.

11 minutes ago, Jman said:

He’s not Moose.

Besides, every single Avatar knockoff or spiritual successor, including Korra, has been a flop.

The writers only planned season 1 out of Korra and it showed. The problem after season one was just lack of character growth, ass pulls, and shit villains. Korra was just made to be a horrible person that they expected people to root for. Aang and the gang would learn and grow as characters as the series progressed. Korra's cast only ever fell backwards and the fight would be for them to get back to the baseline of what they were. Could probably write a damn essay about what was done wrong with that show but won't bother because I think anyone who has seen it can just tell it's fucked. 

Dumb though that the writers were so horribly incompetent that they couldn't write Amon back into the show as a return villain. They even did an interview saying, "had we known we'd have gotten another season we wouldn't have killed off amon or made it more ambiguous because we really think we could have done more with him".  Are you fucking with me? You're writers! Fucking write asspulls you hacks! The death was ambiguous because we never saw him die we just saw an explosion. Just have had him water bend the last moment to save himself. Though have his face actually get disfigured from the explosion as irony to his fake scar before, which causes him to actually wear a damaged version of his mask to cover it. There I effortlessly did their job.