UnevenEdge

Will T.O.M. and S.A.R.A. address the protests/riots?

Amidst Toonami shrinking to its smallest size in 4 years earlier this year, we also recently witnessed another, much more welcome change: banter between T.O.M. and S.A.R.A. at the top of each block, this time loosely reflecting current events. April began this change on April 4th with a pandemic-related message, and May followed with another. But will June change the tune to the George Floyd protests and riots currently breaking out in America? With curfews back on in many major U.S. Cities in response to the riots, more eyeballs will most likely be on Toonami than usual this week once again. It would certainly be a good time for T.O.M. and S.A.R.A. to give such a message to their base, who have been known throughout the years to contain more Blacks than the average TV demographic.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1
  • D'oh 1

I hope they do. Some people don't like it and want politics separate from sports, movies, and tv shows. But Black Lives matter ain't politics. It's about a group of people getting killed without any consequenses for police who shoot first and don't even ask questions later. It's not about being a liberal or a conservative. It's about not being a douch or an assh*le. If we stop showing or talking about it, we will just move on and not vote for changes. Remember about them shootings? Can we talk about gun control now that we prayed and gve moments of silence? Being quiet about it in sports or other entertainment means ignoring it and letting other people solve it when in reality, everyone has to put their part no matter how small it is. 

Edited by ELDEMONIO
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, elfie said:

No. It would be bad PR if they even say anything remotely sensitive, even if it was well-intentioned.

it would only be bad PR to Alt-right anime fans who whine about Politics invading their Animoos

to everyone else they'd probably respect that Toonami was daring enough to actually say something

besides they're already addressing the Covid quarantine and Alt-righties think thats a "political issue" too

• Like 3
  • D'oh 2

DeMarco is known for running his mouth over situations because it’s his block and he doesn’t give a crap what people think, they will hear his opinion.  Doesn’t sour my opinion on big companies speaking and coming off as disingenuous.

Honestly, the best thing corporations can do is shut the fuck up and let the actual people, the ones affected, have their time to speak.

38 minutes ago, MasqueradeOverture said:

Racism isn't politics.

So, here's the deal. There is no right message in this situation, so why would they bother to do one at all. They are broadcasting to people who are inside on Saturday nights who have already seen the content. They can only alienate a portion of that already niche audience by doing some kind of message.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, Ginguy said:

So, here's the deal. There is no right message in this situation, so why would they bother to do one at all. They are broadcasting to people who are inside on Saturday nights who have already seen the content. They can only alienate a portion of that already niche audience by doing some kind of message.

There is an objectively right message.

The right message is to end the concept of the 3/5ths compromise (which has somehow managed to live 155 years past its expiration date). Dissolve the word "N*gg*r" of its value.

• Thanks 2

“Hey guys, TOM here. Human civilization might be gone in my present day world, but let’s talk about inequality.

[Clip of Deku being bullied]

No one likes to be mistreated, and in your lifetime, you will encounter inequality in a number of ways.

[Clip of Naruto not being taken seriously]

[Clip of Zenitsu shouting at Tanjiro for knowing more women than he does]

But the black community faces a significantly higher level of inequality

[Random clip from Michiko & Hatchin]

Especially at the hands of the police.

[Clip of Smokey from JoJo being harassed by a cop]

We support the black community in this time of healing.

[Clip of Sister Krone winning Hide & Seek]

Because no one likes to be mistreated.“

Edited by Chapinator-800
  • Like 2

On 6/5/2020 at 1:41 PM, CaptainStarwind said:

So does this count?

I am glad Toonami commented on the matter, as I believe that this is something that has moved beyond politics.  I will not discuss my viewpoint on this further, so don't bother arguing or debating with me about it.

DA DANA NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, BLM!, BITCH PUDDIN!!!!!!!

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the smug aura of wholesome ...

• Like 1

Well, your question has been answered.  They aired the video that said it's 2013 and everyone should be equal.  Sadly that still isn't even the case in 2020, 7 whole years later.  The speech was oddly prophetic and very fitting for what is going on right now.  They also put that text graphic up explicitly supporting Black Lives Matter, which I didnt catch the first time since I'm not always looking at the screen,  though I saw later.  So good on Demarco and the rest of the Toonami crew for that.

I never understood the idea of entertainment should be apolitical.  So it should all just be mindless entertainment and not have anything to say?  Even then, a lot of these people only complain about political messages because they disagree with them, and other times they don't complain because they never noticed or saw the political message their favorite movie was saying all along.  Sports, you can argue is "supposed to be just about the game."  But it hasn't been.  There was the integration in baseball, the Olympics in Germany where a black guy won the gold medal and disproved Hitler's Aryan race notion and narrative.  

Even then, this isn't what I would call a mere political issue, this isn't about tax policy or something, it's a human rights issue.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Ginguy said:

I hope not.

People watch Toonami to see animu they have already seen on stream, not to get political messages.

Remember the old (new) maxim: Get woke go broke

There really is no help for you, is there?

And when has this supposed maxim actually been proven true?

On 6/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, Ginguy said:

The obvious right message is to denounce police brutality and support equal treatment and justice for everyone.

Who gives a fuck if Toonami alienates a bunch of racists?

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, mochi said:

it would only be bad PR to Alt-right anime fans who whine about Politics invading their Animoos

to everyone else they'd probably respect that Toonami was daring enough to actually say something

besides they're already addressing the Covid quarantine and Alt-righties think thats a "political issue" too

Why does anime even have alt-right fans anyway?  Do they not realize anime is made by another country with a culture quite unlike America's?  Is it because of how traditional and conservative Japan is?  What was part of Hitler's logic for the alliance?  That it was a successful country composed of primarily one race?  But, it's not all like that.  And there are plenty of animes already made years ago that predate the whole "SJW!!!" concept, which isn't even a thing in Japan, that would offend these insecure manchildren.

I bet they are going into convulsions right now after Toonami aired that video speech and put up the graphic. :D Good thing I have all the usual suspect anti-SJW fucktard Youtube channels marked "not interested," so hopefully none of their nonsense should pop up in my recommendations.

• Thanks 3

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

There really is no help for you, is there?

And when has this supposed maxim actually been proven true?

Gilette, Boy Scouts of America, CNN International, Snowflake and Safespace (Comic characters), Buzzfeed AUS and International, Gawker, Cuck (the fiilm), Birds of Prey, Battlefield V et al... Those are just a small sample of the get woke go broke phenomenon, there are plenty more.

9 hours ago, ben0119 said:

The obvious right message is to denounce police brutality and support equal treatment and justice for everyone.

This is an object lesson. It is a campaign video from the Trump campaign which has a similar message as the Toonami crew ran with their splash and video from 2013. Should Toonami have run this, it is the same concept. It isn't a factor of the message content, it is a factor of the audience. I fully support the message that Toonami ran in their video, however you have to read the room, and Toonami is just not the correct forum for political messages.

• D'oh 3

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Well, your question has been answered.  They aired the video that said it's 2013 and everyone should be equal.  Sadly that still isn't even the case in 2020, 7 whole years later.  The speech was oddly prophetic and very fitting for what is going on right now.  They also put that text graphic up explicitly supporting Black Lives Matter, which I didnt catch the first time since I'm not always looking at the screen,  though I saw later.  So good on Demarco and the rest of the Toonami crew for that.

I never understood the idea of entertainment should be apolitical.  So it should all just be mindless entertainment and not have anything to say?  Even then, a lot of these people only complain about political messages because they disagree with them, and other times they don't complain because they never noticed or saw the political message their favorite movie was saying all along.  Sports, you can argue is "supposed to be just about the game."  But it hasn't been.  There was the integration in baseball, the Olympics in Germany where a black guy won the gold medal and disproved Hitler's Aryan race notion and narrative.  

Even then, this isn't what I would call a mere political issue, this isn't about tax policy or something, it's a human rights issue.

I think they even had all new animation for the bumps this week in addition to the new tracks from a music artist.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2020 at 7:07 PM, EmpressAngel said:

"Cops should stop murdering black people in the street" is objectively the right message, you Trump loving sack of shit.

Yo! Sorry for the necrobumping but I had to give a shout out to this unexpected ownage of Cringuy in the toonami folder. 

Edited by Nabply
  • Haha 2

On 6/7/2020 at 4:37 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Kinda makes you wonder how we were able to tolerate him back when he used to post in the Trunks thread, unless politics changed him somehow.

I always thought it was a shame how beloved Jingai was in the anime sections, but was reviled in Babbling, simply because of his political views that didn't agree with the others. 

But now I see he isn't just a mere conservative, at least not anymore.  He's gone full stupid with the anti-SJW fucktard dogma and its idiotic terminology.  When I see people talking like that I typically mentally mark them in the same section with Flat Earthers, of people I'm not going to take seriously anymore, and just write them off as a person.  He has effectively nulled his credibility indefinitely, as far as I'm concerned.

And I don't know if he always held these views and just opened his mouth more and more over the years, removing more and more doubt of the fool he is, or became more extreme over time.

Either way, he's gone from part time mild-mannered anime fan and discusser, part time political debater and instigator, to full time jackass.

I will say that I am disappointed in him.

Edited by ben0119