UnevenEdge

Toonami and the corona virus

10 hours ago, Sketch said:

We're really stretching the definition of isekai over here. It's not about going to other planets, it's about going to other dimensions.

Then DBZ ocean dub totally an Isekai 

Though then there are shows like Inuyasha which is the past and not another dimension, and all the Video Game isekai which are just people playing a video game and not being in another dimension. .hack and SAO somewhat subvert it by at least having people trapped for a while. 

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Oh yeah, I guess Narnia would be the original Isekai

The first isekai story might have been either one of the many Jules Vern stories about going to other worlds, or Mark Twain's "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court". The 80s were big fans of the Reverse Isekai though where something like an Alien or Cave Man were stuck in modern times on earth. Kinda like The Devil is a Part-timer. We tend to call reverse isekai fish out of water stories though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfie said:

OP = opportunity

To be fair it wouldn't sound out of place if we found out that the staff pick shows based on music. Everyone has that hipster used to be in a garage band vibe. From what I remember that really was the sole reason why they got FLCL back in the day was that they were fans of the pillows. 

• Haha 1

I think there's a pretty clear delineation between the more classic "travel to another word" series and the modern definition of "isekai."  For one, the former usually involved female protagonists, which I'm sure was inspired in no small part by Alice in Wonderland, and the worlds they traveled to usually took their cues from classic high fantasy.  Think Escaflowne, or Inuyasha, or Twelve Kingdoms, among others.  Series called "isekai" today usually involve a male protagonist (almost always a milquetoast loser in his former life), almost always have the the protagonist dying and getting reincarnated instead of just traveling somewhere, and tend to have worlds that are (inexplicably) based on video game mechanics.

I know it's just personal taste speaking, but I need Toonami to pick up an isekai series like I need another hole in the head.  The whole phenomenon seems immensely unappealing and creatively bankrupt to me.

• Haha 1

It really says something about the state of isekai when the first ever isekai I plan on watching outside of [as] (assuming SAO even counts) is one where the MC being reincarnated into the other world is female. It helps that the plot (high school girl gets reincarnated as the villainess of her favorite otome game and tries to avoid all the bad ends) sounds pretty entertaining, and the fact that production on the series wrapped before the broadcast's even set to start is an added bonus.

96d05d5eadcfab9f5d4737d0f870625866bc16e3

Then again, this is me we're talking about, so don't go taking this as a recommendation.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Top Gun said:

I think there's a pretty clear delineation between the more classic "travel to another word" series and the modern definition of "isekai."  For one, the former usually involved female protagonists, which I'm sure was inspired in no small part by Alice in Wonderland, and the worlds they traveled to usually took their cues from classic high fantasy.  Think Escaflowne, or Inuyasha, or Twelve Kingdoms, among others.  Series called "isekai" today usually involve a male protagonist (almost always a milquetoast loser in his former life), almost always have the the protagonist dying and getting reincarnated instead of just traveling somewhere, and tend to have worlds that are (inexplicably) based on video game mechanics.

I know it's just personal taste speaking, but I need Toonami to pick up an isekai series like I need another hole in the head.  The whole phenomenon seems immensely unappealing and creatively bankrupt to me.

As much as I enjoy some isekai, I really don't think Toonami needs to play a bunch of them. I'd dig them airing KonoSuba and ReZero but the rest... eh.

14 hours ago, Top Gun said:

Konosuba and Overlord are actually pretty entertaining. Konosuba anyway was a lot more satire, kinda the kill la kill of it's genre. It makes fun of Isekai and is self aware of the tropes. The movie even has them tricking the Big bad into setting death flags in order to defeat them.  A lot of the other Isekai though I'll agree are just mass produced trash that will be forgotten the coming years. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

As much as I enjoy some isekai, I really don't think Toonami needs to play a bunch of them. I'd dig them airing KonoSuba and ReZero but the rest... eh.

I actually think Re-Zero would be harder to watch on Toonami because of how slow season 1 is. 24 episodes half of which is the same damn episode because of the groundhog day ability of the MC. Some episodes play out the exact same as the last except for one difference happening then he dies and we get to watch the episode a 3rd time with him amending his mistake or dying again and getting to watch that happen in a 4th episode.  Some of that stuff I was like this would be great for a Visual Novel, but for the love of god did it get repetitive.  Then a lot of the popularity oddly came from Rem being the break away character of the series to the point that the mangaka did a spinoff where her and subaru run away and have kids. 
Funny thing though is that the creator of Re-zero and Konosuba are actually friends in real life and hang out at bars together. They actually both started their series around the same time and bounce ideas off of each other. Apparently their personalities are similar to the MC's of their series which I guess is that one is optimistic while the other is pessimistic.  

03qd8smu5on31.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PokeNirvash said:

It really says something about the state of isekai when the first ever isekai I plan on watching outside of [as] (assuming SAO even counts) is one where the MC being reincarnated into the other world is female. It helps that the plot (high school girl gets reincarnated as the villainess of her favorite otome game and tries to avoid all the bad ends) sounds pretty entertaining, and the fact that production on the series wrapped before the broadcast's even set to start is an added bonus.

96d05d5eadcfab9f5d4737d0f870625866bc16e3

Then again, this is me we're talking about, so don't go taking this as a recommendation.

Tanya the Evil also has a guy being reincarnated as a girl. It never really took off over here though because a lot of the themes are viewed as problematic. Namely the world is based on 1910s Germany that he is sent to with a WWI/WWII theme to the series; and the MC and everyone wearing German uniforms. The series came out when Nazi's were carrying tiki torches over here so that was really bad timing. Anime cons then banned any cosplay or merch of the series because WWI uniforms look a lot like Nazi WWII uniforms to people who aren't history buffs. 

3 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

I actually think Re-Zero would be harder to watch on Toonami because of how slow season 1 is. 24 episodes half of which is the same damn episode because of the groundhog day ability of the MC. Some episodes play out the exact same as the last except for one difference happening then he dies and we get to watch the episode a 3rd time with him amending his mistake or dying again and getting to watch that happen in a 4th episode.  Some of that stuff I was like this would be great for a Visual Novel, but for the love of god did it get repetitive.  Then a lot of the popularity oddly came from Rem being the break away character of the series to the point that the mangaka did a spinoff where her and subaru run away and have kids. 
Funny thing though is that the creator of Re-zero and Konosuba are actually friends in real life and hang out at bars together. They actually both started their series around the same time and bounce ideas off of each other. Apparently their personalities are similar to the MC's of their series which I guess is that one is optimistic while the other is pessimistic.  

03qd8smu5on31.jpg

Too bad these two don't become friends in Isekai Quartet. Instead they disagree with each other right off the bat and never share any chemistry for the rest of both of the seasons.

6 minutes ago, elfie said:

Too bad these two don't become friends in Isekai Quartet. Instead they disagree with each other right off the bat and never share any chemistry for the rest of both of the seasons.

Konosuba's cast pretty much carries the show followed by Overlord. Re-Zero's group is just badly written for this style of story. Nobody in their group really causes conflict and just keeps to themselves. 

19 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Konosuba's cast pretty much carries the show followed by Overlord. Re-Zero's group is just badly written for this style of story. Nobody in their group really causes conflict and just keeps to themselves. 

The Konosuba cast even opened the entire show initially. This is more like The Konosuba Side Show featuring Three Other Anime.

1 hour ago, Jman said:

That’s not how flattening the curve works.  

i assumed flattening the curve/social distancing existed so as to not collapse the hospitals and put too much strain on the healthcare system

i don't see how that can happen if most people think covid-19 is a hoax and are continuing to gather somehow

a small minority can't really flatten the curve

there's literally a judge in my state whose frustrated that there are more people disobeying the guidelines than following them and is considering A Mandatory lockdown in his county where people can't leave the house at all not even for groceries or a simple walk

Edited by CountFrylock
  • D'oh 2

38 minutes ago, PokeNirvash said:

...Why does this post read like a "Toonami's gonna die soon" warning? Not that I'm saying it is, but hey, some people might think...

Because at this point the default thinking is “Toonami is going to die any second now”.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, elfie said:

People while they may not die, many people ARE dying!

and many people don't understand this....we're in a damn crazy pandemic right now yet a lot of people still aren't taking it seriously and just shrug it off as if it's no big deal

if there was anytime not to pull the "everyone's overreacting card" it's now

• Like 1
  • D'oh 2

On 3/30/2020 at 8:46 PM, EmpressAngel said:

Demarco: Aw dang, I burned my lasagna.

Someone on this forum: THIS IS THE END OF THE BLOCK.

I was trying to find out the status of any of the shows but it looks like there are no updates yet.

When I googled "Toonami news," "Is Toonami cancelled?" is the top suggestion for people also searched for. :|

Screenshot_20200405-055006_Chrome.thumb.jpg.71473d95fd02478e5359820070733138.jpg

Edited by ben0119

I wouldn't call it out of the woods yet. The full post says they're not sure how much they can get done like this, and they don't say anything about returning to a weekly release. I'm sure there's a lot more editing work involved and a lot more line re-dos needed than when everyone is in a professional studio. A lot of the cast probably doesn't have their own Steve Blum recording closet in their home to take perfect, interference-free audio, especially if they live with kids or in an apartment. I'd guess a bi-weekly release is more likely, and Toonami will still have to figure something else out.

Meanwhile, I bet Clifford Chaplin's neighbors are losing their goddamn minds hearing him record for Bakugo.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Meanwhile, I bet Clifford Chaplin's neighbors are losing their goddamn minds hearing him record for Bakugo.

Personally, I feel for the poor souls who'll have to put up with Dallas Reid's screaming when Black Clover follows MHA's suit with this whole home-recording thing.

20 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

I wouldn't call it out of the woods yet. The full post says they're not sure how much they can get done like this, and they don't say anything about returning to a weekly release. I'm sure there's a lot more editing work involved and a lot more line re-dos needed than when everyone is in a professional studio. A lot of the cast probably doesn't have their own Steve Blum recording closet in their home to take perfect, interference-free audio, especially if they live with kids or in an apartment. I'd guess a bi-weekly release is more likely, and Toonami will still have to figure something else out.

Yeah they probably can't do 1 episode a week like this. We'll have to wait and see.

I would not want to be Cliffy C's neighbor right about now. xD

• Haha 1

Well, if they can get one done every 2 weeks, at least the schedule will restabilize through the end of Demon Slayer, as the episode which gets done by April 26th would be ready to lead-in to the finale of DS on May 2nd. Then after that, maybe Toonami goes 1-3 AM or begins with a special for a while? I would love to see them pull off something crazy like Gundam Thunderbolt from 11:30-1 AM on May 9th (December Sky) and May 16th (Bandit Flower) leading into a "normal" lineup from 1 AM-3 AM, as Food Wars, Black Clover, JoJo, and Shippuden should most likely be able to air without interruption for now. Then after another marathon on May 23rd, enough time would have been bought to air the episodes which premiere on FUNimation NOW on May 10th, May 24th, and June 7th on Toonami on May 30th, June 6th, and June 13th. Perhaps they could also manage to get a couple of new shows, or one new and one classic, to keep 11:30 PM-3 AM after a brief contraction to 12-3 AM from April 18th to May 2nd, or if they do get Thunderbolt, Food Wars could take a break.

With DS ending and MHA potentially going on hiatus, this schedule is just begging to have movies or other specials to kick off the block!

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, if they can get one done every 2 weeks, at least the schedule will restabilize through the end of Demon Slayer, as the episode which gets done by April 26th would be ready to lead-in to the finale of DS on May 2nd. Then after that, maybe Toonami goes 1-3 AM or begins with a special for a while? I would love to see them pull off something crazy like Gundam Thunderbolt from 11:30-1 AM on May 9th (December Sky) and May 16th (Bandit Flower) leading into a "normal" lineup from 1 AM-3 AM, as Food Wars, Black Clover, JoJo, and Shippuden should most likely be able to air without interruption for now. Then after another marathon on May 23rd, enough time would have been bought to air the episodes which premiere on FUNimation NOW on May 10th, May 24th, and June 7th on Toonami on May 30th, June 6th, and June 13th. Perhaps they could also manage to get a couple of new shows, or one new and one classic, to keep 11:30 PM-3 AM after a brief contraction to 12-3 AM from April 18th to May 2nd, or if they do get Thunderbolt, Food Wars could take a break.

With DS ending and MHA potentially going on hiatus, this schedule is just begging to have movies or other specials to kick off the block!

The Gundam Thunderbolt films might be doable since they're on good terms with Sunrise. They didn't run the OVA versions of Unicorn or The Origin but it's either short episodes or movies in Thunderbolt's case. I don't know if they'd try leading with Gundam even for a few weeks but they could try leading with Food Wars for a special schedule.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ben0119 said:

Wow, that is quite an impressive set up they've got there!  Well done!

I had no idea Luci Christian was that old, though.

it's gonna be funny to see if there's any weird audio issues when the dub resumes

that said......this is how Fandubbers have been dubbing this entire time