UnevenEdge

Toonami and the corona virus

5 hours ago, elfie said:

We thought Japan was ahead of the curve somehow, but turns out they were just behind it. Here's hoping for a seasonal effect on the coronavirus, or else Japan's June might look like America's April! And I guess this means we can kiss Fire Force Season 2 goodbye at least for July. It's looking more like an October release, perhaps alongside TPN and Dr. Stone Season 2!

• Sad 1

Maybe it's a Japan thing. Americans just emphasize the 6-foot rule, wearing a mask, covering your cough and sneeze etc, but never talks about getting tons of sleep. Indeed sleep is overlooked here in America for some reason. It's actually one good way to boost your immune system in addition to simply feeling great in the morning. Maybe they thought the Japanese would just always wear masks on their own since they been doing that on a routine basis for decades.

Edited by elfie
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 5:55 PM, OwlChemist81 said:

We thought Japan was ahead of the curve somehow, but turns out they were just behind it. Here's hoping for a seasonal effect on the coronavirus, or else Japan's June might look like America's April! And I guess this means we can kiss Fire Force Season 2 goodbye at least for July. It's looking more like an October release, perhaps alongside TPN and Dr. Stone Season 2!

looks like we could see a toonami block of all reruns then...with cowboy bebop as the lead show

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 12:18 PM, elfie said:

On 4/13/2020 at 12:32 PM, PokeNirvash said:

Normally I'd complain about your continued dwelling on the negative industry impacts, but instead, I'll point out that it's interesting that the deciding factor in whether or not an anime gets completed on time is the cinematography staff.

The compositing director going down with depression was the reason War of Underworld Part 2 was initially delayed.

And I see on the bottom of this article it says SAO was delayed from April until July!  Why did they wait until now to announce the delay?!  They just had a trailer recently.  I thought all the work was done!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

no word on Episode 85 Of MHA....so chances are likely Cowboy bebop will be the lead show after next week

YOU BUTTHEAD!!!

Hopefully Toonami has new shows coming in 5/2 and 5/9 if MHA has to be delayed, but if they can't, I guess the one new show that would have replaced Demon Slayer, moving everything up 30 minutes, and a rerun in the back would suffice. And if that rerun is Cowboy Bebop, then so be it, but I think it would be better to bring back Promised Neverland for its last 4 episodes since it disappeared from the lineup for the Genndy Power Hour back in February.

This is worse than the rights loss bonanza that hit Toonami back in Fall 2014 that saw both Batman and Star Wars go poof, as well I guess as Sym-Bionic Titan (if only they could bring THAT back for the Genndy Power Hour!). The only difference is that now Toonami has ALREADY cut back to 3 hours. But older shows they skipped over that have been out for a while could the way to address this.

Edited by OwlChemist81
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, ben0119 said:

God damn, you're getting more and more annoying, you know that?

just being realistic...out of all reruns cowboy bebop is the most likely to start off the block if MHA has to vanish soon

the problem then becomes what about when MHA Returns? it'd be awkward to put it back in for just a few more episodes and then have to replace that slot so soon

3 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

because adultswim has driven that anime into the ground more than any other  i think it's a personal favorite for many of the staff

It is a personal favorite for DeMarco.  Hence years of it airing just because,

Sometimes I (or rather, /co/) am convinced that Demarco only picks some things up because of their tangential relation to Bebop. Sometimes it's sensible, like Shinichiro Watanabe producing the music for Michiko & Hatchin, other times it's too ridiculous to sanely comprehend, like "Gearless Joe looks a little like Spike if you squint and ignore everything about him".

I am expecting Bebop to return for better or for worse but perhaps not this soon.  If all other avenues aren’t exhausted (or if PA bombs and scheduling tells DeMarco to knock it off with airing personal favorites no one will watch) it won’t air until the Netflix Bebop debuts.  The second that debuts, DeMarco will air it in a prime time slot and go “this is the real Bebop!”

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

because adultswim has driven that anime into the ground more than any other  i think it's a personal favorite for many of the staff

Yeah, Demarco loves Bebop and I'm sure it'll be back sooner or later. But why specifically do you think it'll be the lead-in at the start of the block vs towards the middle or end of it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EmpressAngel said:

Yeah, Demarco loves Bebop and I'm sure it'll be back sooner or later. But why specifically do you think it'll be the lead-in at the start of the block vs towards the middle or end of it?

because MHA is off the block after the next episode(no dubbed episode ready in time for the week afterwards)and they need something to shove in there quickly

considering the slowdown funimation has due to dubs at home they'll need some more time to finish out the MHA Season

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

because MHA is off the block after the next episode(no dubbed episode ready in time for the week afterwards)and they need something to shove in there quickly

considering the slowdown funimation has due to dubs at home they'll need some more time to finish out the MHA Season

The only time you’re gonna see Bebop lead Toonami, will be for a marathon of Bebop on one of the last two weeks of a year.

They’d much much sooner rerun MHA at the top or Kai or Super if they had nothing fresh to try.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, OwlChemist81 said:

Well, at least it made it to 132, which is one episode higher than Dragon Ball Super did.

And, its COVID-induced hiatus will probably be over sooner than Super's non-COVID-induced hiatus!

it's still gonna be an insane hiatus since we're talking a sickness with no cure or treatment(none for the next 12-18 months anyways)

so the chances of the anime industry returning in the near future are very slim from the facts we have thrown at us via various news outlets(including international ones)

Edited by CountFrylock

Just now, PokeNirvash said:

As they say, never say never.

Movies are costly and i think toonami would rather spend that cash on older anmies they skipped out on previously

since they have no idea how long it'll before normalcy returns and they actually have a pool of new shows to shift through instead of "Everything's on hold" due to corona virus

it would be a very bad idea to just have the block be movies or a mixture of tired old reruns and marathons...this is the new normal  they shouldn't try to act like this is a temporary setback they'll shrug off very soon

10 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

it's still gonna be an insane hiatus since we're talking a sickness with no cure or treatment(none for the next 12-18 months anyways)

so the chances of the anime industry returning in the near future are very slim from the facts we have thrown at us via various news outlets(including international ones)

I hate to even say this but I think you're underestimating the Japanese side of the industry and what lengths they'll go to in order to get back on schedule.

And on the US side of things more and more shows are getting recorded from home. Toonami has a good 10 weeks before they're caught up to the dub but if Black Clover does need to be pulled... Toonami will be fine without it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OwlChemist81 said:

It will not take 12-18 months for a treatment to be approved by the FDA or the Japanese equivalent. We're talking more like 4-6 months for that. 12-18 months is for the vaccine.

so you think we'll have a reliable treatment by August? that seems fairly optimistic

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

I hate to even say this but I think you're underestimating the Japanese side of the industry and what lengths they'll go to in order to get back on schedule.

And on the US side of things more and more shows are getting recorded from home. Toonami has a good 10 weeks before they're caught up to the dub but if Black Clover does need to be pulled... Toonami will be fine without it.

even if they become overrun with an ungodly amount of new cases and deaths?....we won't even be without anime and manga for a month if what you say is true

and for the second part i haven't really noticed much aside from talk shows and skit shows like SNL doing the recording from home here in the united states

so what else is being recorded from home?

2 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

even if they become overrun with an ungodly amount of new cases and deaths?....we won't even be without anime and manga for a month if what you say is true

and for the second part i haven't really noticed much aside from talk shows and skit shows like SNL doing the recording from home here in the united states

so what else is being recorded from home?

Anime dubs was what I was referring to. JoJo, MHA and the Madoka spin-off are all  recording from home so far. Likely more will follow.

A month is unlikely but I would not be surprised if anime production was mostly in full swing again in Japan in 2 or 3 months.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sketch said:

Japan is strong. Japan was able to repair an entire section of a highway after an earthquake in THREE DAYS. Japan will find a way through this.

7 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

so you think we'll have a reliable treatment by August? that seems fairly optimistic

I predict we'll narrow down a reliable form of treatment by September. A vaccine will take way longer than that.

In the meantime, it'll be a great opportunity to watch retro anime you never got around to.

• Like 1

The world is racing to find both. I think the "Shadow Clone Jutsu" effect may even apply here.

It may normally take 6 YEARS to develop a vaccine for an illness if a single company goes at it in a proprietary manner, but with like 12 different labs around the world conducting experiments and sharing data, this could get done in 6 months. I believe the business world, which has been addicted to trade secrets for centuries, is about to learn the value of open-sourcing information is speed. 

• Like 2