UnevenEdge

Toonami and the corona virus

how do you think this virus will impact the block if it does at all and could this mean we may see some shows pushed back to next year such as Uzumaki?

the whole situation is eerie and honestly  with everyone else on television suspending work i can't really see toonami coming out of this okay

• Like 1
  • D'oh 1

12 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

it could also affect the dubbing process of many shows.....

Potentially but when someone voicing a simuldub gets sick they get an understudy and don't set the schedule back much. Toonami is far enough behind even MHA that if need be there's time to redub a character if they were out for a week or two.

There's a possibility that enough people will get the virus that some dubs will have a delay of some sort or a studio like FUNimation may have to cease all recording briefly. Plenty of other potential production delays are probable, be it on the Japanese production side or the dub production and distribution side. There's at least a handful of shows that will not air in the Spring anime season. Other Spring, Summer and even Fall anime could have production issues if COVID-19 persists in Japan, Korea and China. For instance the upcoming seasons for Fire Force and Dr. Stone might have production issues this year.

All that said, the simple solution is acquiring shows that are already dubbed. But if they intend to air the additional seasons of various shows in a timely manner they might end up needing a stop gap.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:06 PM, CountFrylock said:

how do you think this virus will impact the block if it does at all and could this mean we may see some shows pushed back to next year such as Uzumaki?

the whole situation is eerie and honestly  with everyone else on television suspending work i can't really see toonami coming out of this okay

Scenarios

1. there's a brief rerun-pocalypse as the simuldubs switch to a "work from home" strategy
  2. toonami actually licenses some older shows for a bit which have already existing dubs not requiring simuldubbing
  3. when they run out of content they go on a haitus and just rerun old blocks like classic toonami sometimes did
  4. it gets canceled again
  • Like 2

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. I think now would be the time to pick up Paranoia Agent to replace an ending show.

But even the simuldubs are probably far enough in advance. It will be interesting to see if the 2nd half of SAOAWOU ends up getting produced while Japan is in "work from home" mode or if it gets delayed to July.

The problem is that we didn't test much to begin with so we don't really know how much coronavirus we had over here. Numbers of detected cases WILL go up this week as testing ramps up but the preventative measures we've been talking will most likely make the R0 value (average number of people each infected person infects) go down. Unchecked it's at like 2.5 but with the half-hearted measures we've seen so far in this transition week, I'd say we've gotten it down to about 1.7 or 1.8, maybe more like 1.3 in some stricter states.

Italy's testing must be worse than us, because it has been about as long as they've seen their first case to ours, and we've got fewer than 1/10 of their deaths. Given that we have just under 300 and the death rate in countries that test aggressively is about 0.7%, we've probably really got about 40,000 cases in the U.S. right now, so even with our haphazard testing, we've discovered a large percentage of them, about 60%. Italy, on the other hand, is stricken with a lot more deaths, so it stands to reason they've got a lot more cases than have been detected.

As for how this affects Toonami, it will be interesting to see what they do with SAO's timeslot in 3 weeks. Hopefully we will have flattened the curve by then.

Edited by OwlChemist81

Some positive things in the news:

- small businesses are manufacturing government-approved PPE that will ship directly to the testing sites and hospitals without price-gouging.

- Bleach's 20th anniversary events are still happening and are planned for 2021, the franchise's true anniversary, provided the schedule isn't affected by the virus.

• Like 2

At least the manga and anime industry are doing better than the Western comic direct market.  The sole distributor of Western comics, Diamond Publications, has shuttered its doors, and the entire comic direct market may die by the time this is all over.

• Sad 1

Thanks to this pandemic, Toonami is in a very interesting situation: ALL of their classic competitors except maybe Nick at Nite, both on and off TV, are shut down. As a result, Toonami's ratings shot WAY up this week, from an average of 334K on 3/14 to 500K on 3/21!

It may not be for the best of reasons, but I kinda feel the Better Cartoon Show would be remiss not to at least be somewhat opportunistic about this growth in advertising revenue. Hopefully that means hot new shows to replace MHA, SAO, and Demon Slayer later on?

11 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

So I'm Hearing that after Food Wars S2 finale...it just vanishes from the schedule and some are thinking toonami's gonna permanently remove it....but that just doesn't make any sense especially now when they need the content And S3 is already dubbed

"Food Wars vanished from the schedule". WHUUUUUUUT??? Well that doesn't sound too bad because I kinda hate Food Wars.

• D'oh 1

[tries hardest to resist punching Elfie]

I'm confident the Food Wars S2 finale is just being postponed until after the DBZ Kai marathon. You can't trust speculation, no matter how much the general atmosphere influences you into believing whatever batshit theories you or others come up with.

Edited by PokeNirvash

4 hours ago, CountFrylock said:

yeah well here's the thing if it did vanish forever we either lose that time slot or it gets replaced with cowboy bebop for the billionth time on toonami....

neither is anything to celebrate

At this point, I would accept most additions, new or old, that aren't long-running shonen. Even Bebop would be nice because I could DVR the two episodes I missed from the last time they played it.

[y'all need real relaxation hours]

Because as mentioned, making a separate page was pointless.

I don't know why they can't air any shows that have already been dubbed, "in the can," if you will.  I suppose they already have money put towards the shows they originally intended to air.  Putting something else on would also delay the arrival of those originally planned shows further, depending on how long such stopgap shows would be and how long coronavirus is a serious issue.

Isn't most dubbing done with one person sitting in a booth, though?  And some people have studios at home.

Edited by ben0119

3 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Isn't most dubbing done with one person sitting in a booth, though?  And some people have studios at home.

They probably just want the break. A couple of years ago when I was talking with Monica about simuldubs she just said it's nothing but stress, and is she could go back in time she would have slapped herself for complaining about the old work deadlines being hectic when it would take them 3 months to get a dub out. Also a lot of the VA's have young kids now who are now at home with them instead of at school. 

27 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

They probably just want the break. A couple of years ago when I was talking with Monica about simuldubs she just said it's nothing but stress, and is she could go back in time she would have slapped herself for complaining about the old work deadlines being hectic when it would take them 3 months to get a dub out. Also a lot of the VA's have young kids now who are now at home with them instead of at school. 

But they wouldn't have gotten that break without the virus.  True if they have kids I could see that.  The virus isn't really killing that many kids but it's still not a fun virus to have.  Also would be an issue if the actors are living with older people or people with weakened immune systems and other underlying health issues.  Most companies aren't forcing anyone to work right now, either.  So if just one person drops out of the dub that delays the whole show.  I just wonder how far ahead some of the shows are dubbed.

Also, just to put it out there, since it was being discussed in another thread.  Demarco said they don't have anything against Isekai shows.

https://ask.fm/Clarknova/answers/158623612137

Do you have something against airing isekai (transported/trapped in another world) anime on Toonami other than SAO?  There have been at least a handful of them that are great shows with plenty of action.

Nothing against Isekai.  Just haven’t had a good opportunity to air another one.

Edited by ben0119

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

But they wouldn't have gotten that break without the virus.  True if they have kids I could see that.  The virus isn't really killing that many kids but it's still not a fun virus to have.  Also would be an issue if the actors are living with older people or people with weakened immune systems and other underlying health issues.  Most companies aren't forcing anyone to work right now, either.  So if just one person drops out of the dub that delays the whole show.  I just wonder how far ahead some of the shows are dubbed.

Black clovers last dubbed episode was 123 which was a recap ep. I don't know how far Demon Slayer is since the dub for that is only updated after Toonami shows the new episode, but there are only 4 episodes left for the season I believe. Food Wars is all dubbed I believe, but I also don't know if Sentai has taken time off. Right now feels like it would be a good time for Sentai to try and fill the void Funimation left to promote their streaming service. MHA is up to episode 83 dub. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Nothing against Isekai.  Just haven’t had a good op

Wait so they get showed based on how good the op is; that they're going to butcher for time anyway? Then we should have had overlord and konosuba by now, they have great op songs!

Also I guess we can say that Inuyasha is an isekai. DBZ might also count because technically Goku was transported to another world. Same I guess can be said about cowboy bebop and Trigun. So really they must love isekai. Though really it does seem like there is some sort of bias against it even if they don't outright hate it. 

29 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Wait so they get showed based on how good the op is; that they're going to butcher for time anyway? Then we should have had overlord and konosuba by now, they have great op songs!

Also I guess we can say that Inuyasha is an isekai. DBZ might also count because technically Goku was transported to another world. Same I guess can be said about cowboy bebop and Trigun. So really they must love isekai. Though really it does seem like there is some sort of bias against it even if they don't outright hate it. 

You quoted my post when I was having issues editing it!  He said they just haven't had a good opportunity to air one yet. :D

InuYasha is definitely an Isekai.  DBZ not really beause that was retcon after the fact, and Goku doesn't know anything else but the Earth his whole life anyway.  I don't know how you are getting Bebop and Trigun as being Isekai. 

7 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

You quoted my post when I was having issues editing it!  He said they just haven't had a good opportunity to air one yet. :D

InuYasha is definitely an Isekai.  DBZ not really beause that was retcon after the fact, and Goku doesn't know anything else but the Earth his whole life anyway.  I don't know how you are getting Bebop and Trigun as being Isekai. 

Bebop has them visit another world every episode. Trigun was about the descendants of earth all living on a garbage planet. 

38 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Black clovers last dubbed episode was 123 which was a recap ep. I don't know how far Demon Slayer is since the dub for that is only updated after Toonami shows the new episode, but there are only 4 episodes left for the season I believe. Food Wars is all dubbed I believe, but I also don't know if Sentai has taken time off. Right now feels like it would be a good time for Sentai to try and fill the void Funimation left to promote their streaming service. MHA is up to episode 83 dub. 

So we have a good buffer for Black Clover then.  Only 4 episodes left, surely those were done a while ago.  So we don't have to worry about losing Food Wars... yay...  I think they could but maybe they already have the money put towards the shows they intended to get and spare any to get shows to fill the gap?  MHA only that far, then yeah it is taking a break for sure.  Crap.  I'm sure SAO is probably all done.  Only 2 episodes left of that in this cour, in any case.  Has Aniplex announced that any of their operations will be delayed?

21 minutes ago, HardcoreHunter said:

Bebop has them visit another world every episode. Trigun was about the descendants of earth all living on a garbage planet. 

That is not the same thing at all.  Isekai is someone suddenly transported to another world, universe, might be a better term.  In Bebop the solar system has been colonized and that's just how the world is then.  On Trigun, again, those people have lived their whole lives there and don't remember the Earth.

We're really stretching the definition of isekai over here. It's not about going to other planets, it's about going to other dimensions. Likewise, going to a different time period isn't "another world" either so I don't count InuYasha or other time-travel stories. That's my take anyway. Despite popularizing the theme, SAO wasn't really an isekai until Kirito ended up in the Underworld but I suppose a game world counts as another dimension so Aincrad was close enough but the Underworld being more of a living virtual reality is closer to the usual definition of an isekai.

At any rate, DeMarco says he doesn't have a problem with isekai but he hasn't had the opportunity to air any other than SAO. Baring FUNimation, Crunchyroll and Sentai playing hard ball on those titles the lack of opportunity doesn't sound very convincing to me. If anything they weren't a high enough priority compared to other titles at the time. If they were going to play ReZero or KonoSuba they should have been doing so as soon as they were dubbed. At those times they had other shows they wanted to air. And history has shown us that they don't dig very far into the backlog for just anything. At least not since about halfway through 2016.

For now we have a DBZ Kai marathon airing the week after SAO goes on break. At that point they will be just one episode behind FUNimation on MHA unless they dub more episodes by then (and lets be real, that's probably not happening). They're probably hoping that will buy them enough time to avoid putting MHA on a Toonami hiatus but chances are they will have no choice but to do that.

Black Clover has three months worth of episodes, Shippuden is no issue, Demon Slayer finished dubbing and Food Wars has enough dubbed episodes to last till about November. A big question is JoJo. I have no idea how far into Golden Wind they have dubbed already. I'm hopeful that whatever was going to replace Demon Slayer will not be delayed but we have no idea which show that is.

If the experts are right about the pandemic lasting 12-18 months, we have much bigger concerns than whether or not Toonami will have new shows. I dearly hope this situation doesn't last anywhere near that long but I expect it will take at least a few months in the US and only if people self-isolate like they should.

Baring the acquisition budget having already been spent on shows they were expecting but can't air for the foreseeable future, they ought to be able to wrangle a few shows from their partners to fill some holes. More than likely they just need a bit more time to negotiate for some last minute replacements if the shows they were expecting cannot be delivered in the coming months.

Edited by Sketch
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So we have a good buffer for Black Clover then.  Only 4 episodes left, surely those were done a while ago.  So we don't have to worry about losing Food Wars... yay...  I think they could but maybe they already have the money put towards the shows they intended to get and spare any to get shows to fill the gap?  MHA only that far, then yeah it is taking a break for sure.  Crap.  I'm sure SAO is probably all done.  Only 2 episodes left of that in this cour, in any case.  Has Aniplex announced that any of their operations will be delayed?

Aniplex hasn't announced any delays but I strongly doubt they'll be able to dub the next part of SAO (which starts in late April in Japan) for several months.

If DeMarco and co were counting on Fire Force season two for July, that one probably went up in flames. It could feasibly get dubbed this year but probably not until September or October.

36 minutes ago, Sketch said:

We're really stretching the definition of isekai over here. It's not about going to other planets, it's about going to other dimensions. Likewise, going to a different time period isn't "another world" either so I don't count InuYasha or other time-travel stories. That's my take anyway. Despite popularizing the theme, SAO wasn't really an isekai until Kirito ended up in the Underworld but I suppose a game world counts as another dimension so Aincrad was close enough but the Underworld being more of a living virtual reality is closer to the usual definition of an isekai.

At any rate, DeMarco says he doesn't have a problem with isekai but he hasn't had the opportunity to air any other than SAO. Baring FUNimation, Crunchyroll and Sentai playing hard ball on those titles the lack of opportunity doesn't sound very convincing to me. If anything they weren't a high enough priority compared to other titles at the time. If they were going to play ReZero or KonoSuba they should have been doing so as soon as they were dubbed. At those times they had other shows they wanted to air. And history has shown us that they don't dig very far into the backlog for just anything. At least not since about halfway through 2016.

For now we have a DBZ Kai marathon airing the week after SAO goes on break. At that point they will be just one episode behind FUNimation on MHA unless they dub more episodes by then (and lets be real, that's probably not happening). They're probably hoping that will buy them enough time to avoid putting MHA on a Toonami hiatus but chances are they will have no choice but to do that.

Black Clover has three months worth of episodes, Shippuden is no issue, Demon Slayer finished dubbing and Food Wars has enough dubbed episodes to last till the end of the year. A big question is JoJo. I have no idea how far into Golden Wind they have dubbed already. I'm hopeful that whatever was going to replace Demon Slayer will not be delayed but we have no idea which show that is.

Feudal Japan was such a different world to modern Japan, especially with the demons and other supernatural aspects, it was effectively another world.  No, Bebop and Trigun don't count, for the reasons I described in my post above.  Yes, different world, dimension, universe, etc.  I hadn't heard of the term back then, but to me, SAO would count from the beginning.  It's a totally different world, even if it's a virtual world.  Yes Underworld is more of a world since it has a native population who only know that world and then Kirito and Asuna go there.  Aincrad was all just the players, but still, I think it counts.  Oh yeah, I guess Narnia would be the original Isekai. :)

So in other words Demarco was bullshitting again?

I don't really see what difference one week is going to make if the show is only dubbed to 83.  Though Funimation did say they were rejiggering things for people to work from home and not outright stopping dub production, right?

JoJo ended in Japan some time ago didn't it?  Looks like it ended in July of 2019.  So they would have plenty of time to dub.  Depends on when they started dubbing, but dubbing doesn't take so long as it did back in the old days, so maybe it's already finished.  Hmm yeah.

Edited by ben0119

28 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Aniplex hasn't announced any delays but I strongly doubt they'll be able to dub the next part of SAO (which starts in late April in Japan) for several months.

If DeMarco and co were counting on Fire Force season two for July, that one probably went up in flames. It could feasibly get dubbed this year but probably not until September or October.

So they aren't doing like Funimation is and continuing operations?  Or was Funimation just doing that for the subtitled stuff and not the dubs?

If the shows Toonami had earmarked will be delayed for that long then they may have no choice but to pick up some other shows that are already in the can.  I don't know if they can afford that though.  Maybe they could bring Bleach back or add more slots for Shippuden, as Angel suggested.  I'm not a big fan of Shippuden, but hey, it would get it off the block faster. :P

2 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

Feudal Japan was such a different world to modern Japan, especially with the demons and other supernatural aspects, it was effectively another world.  No, Bebop and Trigun don't count, for the reasons I described in my post above.  Yes, different world, dimension, universe, etc.  I hadn't heard of the term back then, but to me, SAO would count from the beginning.  It's a totally different world, even if it's a virtual world.  Yes Underworld is more of a world since it has a native population who only know that world and then Kirito and Asuna go there.  Aincrad was all just the players, but still, I think it counts.

So in other words Demarco was bullshitting again?

I don't really see what difference one week is going to make if the show is only dubbed to 83.  Though Funimation did say they were rejiggering things for people to work from home and not outright stopping dub production, right?

JoJo ended in Japan some time ago didn't it?  Looks like it ended in July of 2019.  So they would have plenty of time to dub.  Depends on when they started dubbing, but dubbing doesn't take so long as it did back in the old days, so maybe it's already finished.  Hmm yeah.

Only one week for Toonami but it will have been about 6 weeks since the last MHA dub episode was released. That might be just enough if FUNimation has gotten their record from home thing going by then. I have my doubts but it's not impossible with modern technology.

Sure it ended in Japan last Summer but it was a bit surprising that Viz had some of it ready to air by October. It tends to take about a week to dub one episode even with modern methods. They would have needed about 9 months to finish dubbing it. If they started right around when DIU wrapped up dubbing then they might be done but it's equally likely they didn't have more than 13 episodes in the can when Toonami picked it up, in which case they might have finished recently but that's hardly a sure thing.

9 minutes ago, ben0119 said:

So they aren't doing like Funimation is and continuing operations?  Or was Funimation just doing that for the subtitled stuff and not the dubs?

If the shows Toonami had earmarked will be delayed for that long then they may have no choice but to pick up some other shows that are already in the can.  I don't know if they can afford that though.  Maybe they could bring Bleach back or add more slots for Shippuden, as Angel suggested.  I'm not a big fan of Shippuden, but hey, it would get it off the block faster. :P

This batch of SAO and Demon Slayer wrapped up recording and Aniplex wasn't in the process of dubbing anything else that wasn't currently being handled by FUNimation. So there's nothing to announce delays for other than what FUNimation was doing for them.

FUNimation is continuing to sub shows and said they were adjusting their dub production schedules to allow people to work from home. Whatever that means.

Based on social media posts, up until the past week the LA dub actors were still recording for various projects but now that California has basically shut down any non-essential businesses, I believe all those recording studios have ceased operations for the time being. As evidence of that, Crunchyroll announced delays for their current dubs as well and those are all being done in California. SAO is handled in LA by BangZoom (as was Demon Slayer). Those studios have to start operating again before the next batch of episodes can be recorded. I wasn't expecting a simuldub for SAO regardless. If those studios are running again in June then SAO might be back by July or August but for now I'm figuring September or October depending how the situation plays out.

honestly you'd think at this point the companies would be a little more generous and offer toonami something from the backlog since events outside anyone's control caused this to happen and it wouldn't be right to just leave toonami with no option but to fill the block with old shows and marathons for the long haul

that's a short term solution.....toonami can't stick around with that as a long term solution

1 hour ago, Sketch said:

This batch of SAO and Demon Slayer wrapped up recording and Aniplex wasn't in the process of dubbing anything else that wasn't currently being handled by FUNimation. So there's nothing to announce delays for other than what FUNimation was doing for them.

FUNimation is continuing to sub shows and said they were adjusting their dub production schedules to allow people to work from home. Whatever that means.

Based on social media posts, up until the past week the LA dub actors were still recording for various projects but now that California has basically shut down any non-essential businesses, I believe all those recording studios have ceased operations for the time being. As evidence of that, Crunchyroll announced delays for their current dubs as well and those are all being done in California. SAO is handled in LA by BangZoom (as was Demon Slayer). Those studios have to start operating again before the next batch of episodes can be recorded. I wasn't expecting a simuldub for SAO regardless. If those studios are running again in June then SAO might be back by July or August but for now I'm figuring September or October depending how the situation plays out.

Oh I see.  I didn't realize Funimation was dubbing any shows for Aniplex.  I saw they started putting SAO on Funimation Now, so they have some sort of relationship, it seems?  It's funny that Aniplex is so generous and customer-friendly with putting their shows on so many streaming platforms, but charges out the ass if you actually want to buy their shows.  They would make more money selling their shows at a cheaper price to a whole bunch of people than they would at outrageous prices to a handful!  It's short-sighted!

Oh okay.  I thought maybe that meant there would be a short hiccup and then they would be back to normal, just with people at home instead of in the studio, but maybe that is wishful thinking on my part.

So BangZoom and the other California studios won't switch to working from home?  Man, if we have to wait that long for the SAO dub that is going to suck.  At least it seems like the actual show itself isn't being delayed, it's still coming out in April in Japanese.  Maybe it was mostly wrapped before the virus hit.  Yeah, it wouldn't have been a simuldub but they are still pretty quick with the SAO dubs usually.

56 minutes ago, CountFrylock said:

honestly you'd think at this point the companies would be a little more generous and offer toonami something from the backlog since events outside anyone's control caused this to happen and it wouldn't be right to just leave toonami with no option but to fill the block with old shows and marathons for the long haul

that's a short term solution.....toonami can't stick around with that as a long term solution

You'd think they would throw Toonami some kind of bone.  If not, Toonami may not be here when the crisis abates for them to air and promote their shows on.

10 hours ago, HardcoreHunter said:

OP = opportunity

8 hours ago, Sketch said:

OR they could tell everyone to work from home. What actually goes into making a dub? Sitting a writing scripts, cues, translations, directing, sound-engineering, and publishing. Actors need to get up and act in front of a camera in a sound booth. Both of these big things can feasbily be done at home. Many actors have at-home custom-made recording booths. Steve Blum fuckin records TOM in a closet. However, not everyone has the right equipment at home to continue working, there are NDAs and security measures in place to make sure valuable files can't be accessed outside of a studio building. I imagine that while a dub can be made at home, it's less convenient and more expensive.

10 hours ago, ben0119 said:

You'd think they would throw Toonami some kind of bone.  If not, Toonami may not be here when the crisis abates for them to air and promote their shows on.

Maybe they will but even pulling something from the backlog takes a little bit of time to coordinate.

If the situation lasts beyond June, I’m sure they’ll be able get something fresh to fill the holes. We were already under the assumption that either MHA or SAO wasn’t going to be replaced. Hopefully whatever was replacing one of those and Demon Slayer is already dubbed and I think that’s probably the case because Winter and Spring were pretty dry seasons that lacked shoe-ins for Toonami. So with the exception of MHA, they should be pretty well set until JoJo ends and Black Clover catches up. That will take them into Summer. Things shouldn’t get dire for a while. If their next two planned shows aren’t good to go then they might have to rerun something on the regular lineup but given a little more time they should be able to get a replacement or two.

Edited by Sketch